Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

SuperStar

Re: Housepets! The game.

Post by SuperStar »

So, what are your guys' opinion on the Modern Texture pack?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

If it's not a burden, go for it. But could you post a link to it so we can get an idea of it, first?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

That... that actually looks really good :D . Yeah if it's not a burden for you you can get that, if fits really well.
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Well, it's not the price really. It's more like, which one of us will be doing the actually building of the game? Which one of us will be buying the "Modern Day Tile Resource Pack"? If it's gonna be me, then I'm perfectly okay with that. We just need to know who will be doing it.
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

Looks really cool indeed, but it mostly city-like. What about this one

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/graphics/o ... e-pack-one

Looks like subs, have a beach, forest, mountain, ruins/temple, and the lab (but this one could not be useful). The bad thing about it, it's pretty simple; the city one looks a lot better but i feel like this one had better elements to fit Babylon Gardens P=
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

ChekeBello wrote:Looks really cool indeed, but it mostly city-like. What about this one

Looks like subs, have a beach, forest, mountain, ruins/temple, and the lab (but this one could not be useful). The bad thing about it, it's pretty simple; the city one looks a lot better but i feel like this one had better elements to fit Babylon Gardens P=
Yeah, about that one. It does have a wider range, however it's graphic style won't mix with the rest of RPGMAKERVXAce.
The one I already suggested can be mixed with the RPGMAKERVXAce preset tiles to make more diverse designs actually.
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

What does it includes as standard? idk that
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

They look really good. I hope you don't feel like you have to go out of your way to get it.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

ChekeBello wrote:Looks really cool indeed, but it mostly city-like. What about this one

I'm a sucker for cartoony looking sprites, though we should consider the adaptability too. While it does have a wide variety of it's own, it would require multiple packs to have a very large variety. Mixing two textures would be both easier and more resourceful.

However, I have no experience with packs because I've always just made the sprites, so my opinion may be invalid :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Okay, so I've done some testing in RPGMakerVXAce. I've been working out some character states, specials Skills, weapons, and stuff like that.
Again I ask, who is going to be doing the game building?
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I like both of those packs. The first one looks great, and I love it, and the second one has a great cartoony feel. I think the first one looks better though for the kind of game this is going to be.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would also have to go with the first pack also.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1exy8cl0np2ycts

I we all should check this out. I think it might give us some ideas.
We can use this mod if we give credit.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think it looks good. But the choice is ultimately up to you.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I think it looks good. But the choice is ultimately up to you.
Am I the one designing the game? I've asked this 2 times now and haven't gotten a proper answer. I wouldn't have a problem with this, it's just confusing, and I'm worried about making decisions without other people's opinion. We just need this clear.
CrystalHeart

Post by CrystalHeart »

Hi! I was directed here by Collier! I was wondering if I could help; I've heard this was made in RPG Maker Ace! And I just so happen to be a master at that! So, yeah! Can I help, and with what?
From somewhere, a transmisson.
Sue? Are you there? It's me. Kazuma! I've managed to get away somehow. But I've gotten lost... I've found a shelter, but there's nothing here. If you can hear me, please answer!
You have died. Retry?
http://goo.gl/MTvwVZ
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

CrystalHeart wrote:Hi! I was directed here by Collier! I was wondering if I could help; I've heard this was made in RPG Maker Ace! And I just so happen to be a master at that! So, yeah! Can I help, and with what?
Always room for another Dev Member!
Good with RPGMakerVXAce huh? Well then, maybe you'll be a developer. How good are you with it exactly?
CrystalHeart

Post by CrystalHeart »

Hm- Note to self; don't be THAT self-confident. I'm about 75% good, I guess?
I'm pretty good with eventing and creating items/weapons/skills/armors/youknowtheusual but I'm as good as Sasha when it comes to scripting :/
From somewhere, a transmisson.
Sue? Are you there? It's me. Kazuma! I've managed to get away somehow. But I've gotten lost... I've found a shelter, but there's nothing here. If you can hear me, please answer!
You have died. Retry?
http://goo.gl/MTvwVZ
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

And this is why assembling a team is important. Good start, though. What kind of scripts do you think are needed? I'm sure there are good ones out there.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

D-Rock wrote:And this is why assembling a team is important. Good start, though. What kind of scripts do you think are needed? I'm sure there are good ones out there.
Well I'm currently testing with a real-time action RPG script.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

And how is it working so far?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:And how is it working so far?
Yrm, okay. Sort of. I learned kind of "how" to do it, but my supplies are limited. I need to find more particles and effects and some stuff like that.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I'm sorry for double posting, but with how old this thread is, I wanna make sure people will notice this update.

I finally got my RPGMaker working again, and tested some stuff out with the battle system.
In the time that my RPGMaker wasn't working I thought about the game and had an idea. I have an idea for the main antagonist and a potential plot. If any of the former members of this project are reading this, do you wanna hear my ideas?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would love to hear some of your ideas! Lay them on me please!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Okay, here's my idea(s).
What sets the plot into motion is another Celstial being, like Dragon and Pete. Except this guy doesn't play D&D, he's a Nue(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nue) otaku who plays a lot of JRPGs. So he influences events in "Dimension Prime" causing the main characters to you know, start gearing up and fighting against stuffs. It's all for his own amusement. He loves RPGs, so he's making the world into his very own game, and he sets himself up as the "unbeatable final boss".
How's that idea?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Liking it, really. In all honesty, I was wondering if this was going to be picked up again. So this guy, will the others play his game because he's causing a bit more trouble that is normally allowed?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

D-Rock wrote:Liking it, really. In all honesty, I was wondering if this was going to be picked up again. So this guy, will the others play his game because he's causing a bit more trouble that is normally allowed?
"Will The Others Play His Game?"? I'm sorry, but could you specify I bet more. Do you mean like are Pete and Dragon caught up in it?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

youguys still looking for an artist?

I've done sprite edits before. an old one i did for a webcomic a few years ago should be attached below.
Attachments
RheyaSprite.png
RheyaSprite.png (160.35 KiB) Viewed 22619 times
Last edited by Buster on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote:youguys still looking for an artist?
I believe so. You volunteering?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Sure why not? Some of the early posts implied you're using RPGmaker correct? (i kinda only skimmed page 1, haven't read everything yet) (nevermind, finished reading the old stuff.)

are you going with standard 16-bit style rpg proportions (what the templates in most of the RPGmaker Programs are based on), or want something closer to the comic's proportions? The latter means I won't be able to 'Frankenstein' existing templates so it will probably take longer, but it'll also probably look better.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I really do like the sprites that you have done Buster! They look really neat!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote:Sure why not? Some of the early posts implied you're using RPGmaker correct? (i kinda only skimmed page 1, haven't read everything yet) (nevermind, finished reading the old stuff.)

are you going with standard 16-bit style rpg proportions (what the templates in most of the RPGmaker Programs are based on), or want something closer to the comic's proportions? The latter means I won't be able to 'Frankenstein' existing templates so it will probably take longer, but it'll also probably look better.
We will be happy to have you.
I think we might start out iwth 16 bit style proportions, but we're opened to ones that are closer to the comic if we can manage it. Either one would work at this point.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

in that case, i'll make some samples so you can compare.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I love that idea a lot, it would be interesting to see, and the sprites look good. Glad to see that this is still happening. :D

Now if only I could actually do something to help other than saying an idea is good.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

okay, the peanut on the dark green backing is a scratch sprite, light green is a template.
personally, i like scratch sprites better since i'm not just tracing someone else's template and adding features, but up to you.
Attachments
peanutsample.png
peanutsample.png (1.25 KiB) Viewed 22601 times
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote:okay, the peanut on the dark green backing is a scratch sprite, light green is a template.
personally, i like scratch sprites better since i'm not just tracing someone else's template and adding features, but up to you.
Those look good. Though we'll have to make sure the sprites are compatible with the RPGMaker.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Here, this should at least be enough to test him walking back and forth. sorry, no side to side or extra poses yet.
i'll make one from a template to compare tomorrow. found a template i like better than the first one anyway.
Attachments
peanut sheet1.png
peanut sheet1.png (5.69 KiB) Viewed 22562 times
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Wow that looks really cool! Great job on that!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

That looks really good, and I tested it out on the RPGMaker.
However, it looks to small when in the RPGMaker... So either we'll have to go with 16-bit proportions or make the sprites sort of bigger than a regular sprite, cause the game is compatible with bigger sprites, so that might work.