Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Buster
Game Master

Re: Housepets! The game.

Post by Buster »

Screenshot? might help with figuring out what went wrong on my end.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote:Screenshot? might help with figuring out what went wrong on my end.
Well, nothing "went wrong", just that the size is to small.
Here,
Attachments
Housepets!Test!Screenshot.png
Housepets!Test!Screenshot.png (147.75 KiB) Viewed 25833 times
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

the whole 'head takes up over half the character' thing technically isn't size it's proportions, but okay.
I thought it shrank, like it came in shorter than the normal sprites.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Hey-eh, sorry about that.
But yeah, while the sprite definitely looks like Peanut, it just looks to small in comparison to all the other stuff in the RPGMaker.
But we're still in early dev, so I doesn't matter that much right now.

BTW, I got some portraits working.
PeanutScreenshot3.png
PeanutScreenshot3.png (94.05 KiB) Viewed 25820 times
PeanutScreenshot4.png
PeanutScreenshot4.png (83.65 KiB) Viewed 25820 times
PeanutScreenshot6.png
PeanutScreenshot6.png (91.1 KiB) Viewed 25820 times
Last edited by SuperStar on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

these better?

and yes i know most of the sheet is still templates.
Attachments
peanut sheet2.png
peanut sheet2.png (19.52 KiB) Viewed 25817 times
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote:these better?

and yes i know most of the sheet is still templates.
Imma go and test those out now! They look great! I'll send you a screenshot when I get the chance!
Though one thing, if it isn't to much trouble could you start making the backgrounds transparent? I can do it myself, but if it isn't to hard for you it would save a step for putting the sprite in the game.

EDIT: The sprite works great right now! It's the right size :D!
Here's the pic~!
Attachments
PeanutSprite2Screenshot.png
PeanutSprite2Screenshot.png (124.41 KiB) Viewed 25813 times
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Those all look very good! I wish that I could sprite like that!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

MS Paint doesn't do transparency, and FireAlpacka does but it doesn't do pixel art properly. (that or I'm doing it wrong) It tries to Anti-Alias it every time I use it.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote:MS Paint doesn't do transparency, and FireAlpacka does but it doesn't do pixel art properly. (that or I'm doing it wrong) It tries to Anti-Alias it every time I use it.
Okay, that's okay. I can make them transparent myself. It's not that hard, I was just wondering. In fact making it transparent is a little fun, so I'm not complaining.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I hadn't actually checked this project out yet. It looks interesting. Do you guys have a script written, or someone who is writing one? if not I'd be interested in helping (I can't write a whole script since I'm a college student but I could help come up with ideas or collaborate on a script)
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I hadn't actually checked this project out yet. It looks interesting. Do you guys have a script written, or someone who is writing one? if not I'd be interested in helping (I can't write a whole script since I'm a college student but I could help come up with ideas or collaborate on a script)
Well at this point we haven't quite worked out a script. But we do have some ideas. We haven't really decided who will be doing the script, but so far I've been working on it.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

alright, if you've got scripts and ideas covered I'll just wait for the game.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Buster wrote:MS Paint doesn't do transparency, and FireAlpacka does but it doesn't do pixel art properly. (that or I'm doing it wrong) It tries to Anti-Alias it every time I use it.
You can also use GIMP, it's what I use to make sprites and has a transparancy
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

SuperStar wrote:
D-Rock wrote:Liking it, really. In all honesty, I was wondering if this was going to be picked up again. So this guy, will the others play his game because he's causing a bit more trouble that is normally allowed?
"Will The Others Play His Game?"? I'm sorry, but could you specify I bet more. Do you mean like are Pete and Dragon caught up in it?
Yeah, I was thinking something like that. Sorry, I was tired when I saw this post, thought that this new character was interfering more than the demi-gods are allowed or something, which would be why everyone would go along with it to beat him. Think my mind jumped to conclusions when I read that he set himself up as the final boss.

Also, rather nice-looking sprites you made, Buster! The eyes on the forward-facing sprites seem a bit low to me, but that's about it.

Also, for making transparency, I've gotten rather attached to Paint.NET. Both that and GIMP are free.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

D-Rock wrote:
SuperStar wrote:
D-Rock wrote:Liking it, really. In all honesty, I was wondering if this was going to be picked up again. So this guy, will the others play his game because he's causing a bit more trouble that is normally allowed?
"Will The Others Play His Game?"? I'm sorry, but could you specify I bet more. Do you mean like are Pete and Dragon caught up in it?
Yeah, I was thinking something like that. Sorry, I was tired when I saw this post, thought that this new character was interfering more than the demi-gods are allowed or something, which would be why everyone would go along with it to beat him. Think my mind jumped to conclusions when I read that he set himself up as the final boss.
Oh yeah, he is definitely going out of line. I'm thinking like Cerberus is gonna be involved in the plot cause she is sent by Bahamut to stop him.
Though I forget, is this game meant to come before or after Heaven's Not Enough?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I believe it was mentioned that it would take place sometime after Heaven's Not Enough, having Tarot slowly lose access to her magic abilities.

I'll be honest, it feels weird to talk about the project like this, as I can't offer anything other than support and maybe an idea or two. Unless you want weapon designs, then I may be able to try something, but I've only done more "fantasy" based weapons.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

D-Rock wrote:I believe it was mentioned that it would take place sometime after Heaven's Not Enough, having Tarot slowly lose access to her magic abilities.

I'll be honest, it feels weird to talk about the project like this, as I can't offer anything other than support and maybe an idea or two. Unless you want weapon designs, then I may be able to try something, but I've only done more "fantasy" based weapons.
Right, I remember now. Since it takes place after Heaven's Not Enough we might have to exclude Pete and Dragon though, unless we get some info from the comic soon. Or maybe we make an excuse and have them appear by saying that since Dragon and Pete are demi-omni-potent it's just them from "another time".

I sort of understand what you mean, but it feels nice to talk to you about this. If there is any way we think you can help(that is if you want to help) we'll let you know.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

D-Rock wrote:Also, rather nice-looking sprites you made, Buster! The eyes on the forward-facing sprites seem a bit low to me, but that's about it.
I think part of the problem is the base sprites having a huge forehead while peanut in the comic has almost no forehead.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'm liking that excuse. Perfect timing, too, I saw a parody of the Dragon Ball Z movie, History of Trunks, which ends with him travelling to the past to warn the main heroes. Maybe future versions of them come back, older and wiser while the current "them" are still somewhere out there serving their sentences?

Well, as I mentioned, the best I can offer are weapon designs and maybe, just maybe, a game idea. Don't count too much on the latter, those happen by accident (happy little accidents, as Bob Ross would say). As for the former, I don't mind. I liked the weapons that the characters would use, actually. Let's see what everyone else says.
Buster wrote:
D-Rock wrote:Also, rather nice-looking sprites you made, Buster! The eyes on the forward-facing sprites seem a bit low to me, but that's about it.
I think part of the problem is the base sprites having a huge forehead while peanut in the comic has almost no forehead.
Noticed that after I zoomed in. Think it can be changed a little and still look good? Not sure if moving the eyes up would work, or maybe make the eyes a pixel larger? Sorry about that, I am by no means a spriter.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

more than likely it means i'll have to redo the heads myself... which will then probably cause issues with the proportions cause I'm used to drawing characters with a 1:7 ratio not 1:3. heads that big look really freakin' weird to me.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I believe the forehead in the template is large for the sake of hair, and is meant to be from a certain camera angle.The Housepets! characters have more of a square-ish shape to them from the front due to their ears and side muzzle fuffs (I don't know what you would call that :roll: ). Don't get me wrong you did an awesome job with spriting Peanut (better than I could do), but the way the template is sprited is too human like, how does something like this look?
Attachments
peanut sprite 3.png
peanut sprite 3.png (850 Bytes) Viewed 25675 times
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

D-Rock wrote:I'm liking that excuse. Perfect timing, too, I saw a parody of the Dragon Ball Z movie, History of Trunks, which ends with him travelling to the past to warn the main heroes. Maybe future versions of them come back, older and wiser while the current "them" are still somewhere out there serving their sentences?

Well, as I mentioned, the best I can offer are weapon designs and maybe, just maybe, a game idea. Don't count too much on the latter, those happen by accident (happy little accidents, as Bob Ross would say). As for the former, I don't mind. I liked the weapons that the characters would use, actually. Let's see what everyone else says.
Well D-Rock, I would definitely love to have you on the project, whether it be a small story/game-play suggestion or weapon design. What do you guys think?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:I believe the forehead in the template is large for the sake of hair, and is meant to be from a certain camera angle.The Housepets! characters have more of a square-ish shape to them from the front due to their ears and side muzzle fuffs (I don't know what you would call that :roll: ). Don't get me wrong you did an awesome job with spriting Peanut (better than I could do), but the way the template is sprited is too human like, how does something like this look?
the shape looks right, but there's something odd about the shading, i'll have to play around with it a bit.
still, Thanks. you just saved me a few hours of futzing with head designs. ^.^

EDIT: How's this look?
EDIT #2: added a hair tuft to make his head look less flat.
EDIT #3: And, looking at the old sprites that had a softer outline got me wondering which looks better.
Attachments
Do you think peanut looks better with a hard outline or a soft outline?
Do you think peanut looks better with a hard outline or a soft outline?
hard or soft.png (1.28 KiB) Viewed 25645 times
So, we've got beanpole-peanut, jar-head peanut, balloon head peanut, undershaded peanut, overshaded peanut, and new peanut...
So, we've got beanpole-peanut, jar-head peanut, balloon head peanut, undershaded peanut, overshaded peanut, and new peanut...
Peanut sprite versions.png (2.46 KiB) Viewed 25645 times
peanut sheet2.png
peanut sheet2.png (19.52 KiB) Viewed 25651 times
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I actually prefer beanpole Peanut - he has the original's body type. The others look more like Puppy Peanut. :?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

that's because peanut normally seems to have a 1:5 ratio to his proportions, not 1:3. (the numbers mean the size of the head compared to overall height if you're wondering) Unfortunately, everything in RPG maker is based on 1:2 & 1:3 proportion templates, so characters with more normal proportions wind up looking weirdly small/skinny.

Doesn't help that I'm used to drawing in 1:7, which is meant for extremely tall characters. (like 7' or 8' tall.)
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Personally the darker outline looks better to me because it makes the colors and features more defined, and it keeps the look of the black line art the characters have in the comic. On the other hand, the softer outline makes the sprite seem smoother and may appear more natural with the environment sprites.
ImageImageImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Those sprites are looking very nice! Great job on them!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:I believe the forehead in the template is large for the sake of hair, and is meant to be from a certain camera angle.The Housepets! characters have more of a square-ish shape to them from the front due to their ears and side muzzle fuffs (I don't know what you would call that :roll: ). Don't get me wrong you did an awesome job with spriting Peanut (better than I could do), but the way the template is sprited is too human like, how does something like this look?
the shape looks right, but there's something odd about the shading, i'll have to play around with it a bit.
still, Thanks. you just saved me a few hours of futzing with head designs. ^.^

EDIT: How's this look?
EDIT #2: added a hair tuft to make his head look less flat.
EDIT #3: And, looking at the old sprites that had a softer outline got me wondering which looks better.
The added hair-tuft really works. I think the Peanut sprite with the whole sheet attached to him looks best out of all those.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'm going to agree on the hair tuft really working. Nice job! Also, I think I'd cast my vote for the hard-outline Peanut.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Wow, this game is really coming along nicely. I agree on the thicker outline; it'll probably make it a bit easier to track the character when in an area with lots of background features, like grass.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Just found this and wondered if you guys needed any more help. Anything you need new talent for? Writing, promotions, testing?

Forgot to mention I'm a music producer, so if you need OSTs or SFX, to quote the thing I'm named after, 'Sorry. That's kind of my thing.'
SuperStar wrote:Okay, here's my idea(s).
What sets the plot into motion is another Celstial being, like Dragon and Pete. Except this guy doesn't play D&D, he's a Nue(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nue) otaku who plays a lot of JRPGs. So he influences events in "Dimension Prime" causing the main characters to you know, start gearing up and fighting against stuffs. It's all for his own amusement. He loves RPGs, so he's making the world into his very own game, and he sets himself up as the "unbeatable final boss".
How's that idea?
Kitsune must appear at least twice, just so you know! lol.

Mod Edit: Avoid double (and triple) posting by using the edit button in the upper right corner to add more if yours is the latest post
Last edited by GreatKitsune on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

GreatKitsune wrote:Just found this and wondered if you guys needed any more help. Anything you need new talent for? Writing, promotions, testing?
Well, the project is still young, so we'll still open for pretty much anything.
Writing at this point is rather simple. We haven't really gotten into any full story stuff, so far we've just been saying ideas and agreeing on them. At his point I may be writing the story, but we're open for additional writers.
And for Promotion, we don't really know about that right now, sorry.
Testing isn't really a thing right now. Though when we work something out you could test it I suppose.
--WAIT!
GreatKitsune wrote:Forgot to mention I'm a music producer, so if you need OSTs or SFX, to quote the thing I'm named after, 'Sorry. That's kind of my thing.'
Music? We could use that! Can you give us some samples?
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

SuperStar wrote:How about rubber pellets? "Cause they don't trust K-9 with real guns."

Here are some ideas for how different characters fight:

Peanut will use Balls as his weapons. One of the stronger variants will be of course the Mega Ball.

Grape
will fight using brooms, maybe some other pole weapons later on.

Bino
will fight with Balls similar to Peanut, but his stats will be different.

Max
I'm a little stumped on, but maybe he could use brass knuckles. Admittingly it is a little simple in comparison to other characters, but it works with him being a half-feral, and I think there could be a joke about it being implied that he is de-clawed.

Sasha
I think could use a purse as her weapon, and she throws random junk out of it to harm enemies.

Fox
of course will use a bo-staff, and he'll be a sort of Grape clone, except his stats will be different much like Bino to Peanut.

King
, I have 2 ideas for him. One is a Shovel cause, well you know. Two is a old RPG fashioned Sword, as a reference to him being a more serious character.

Any chance of adding Rock or Keene? Keene would have OP superweapons and rock would have weird stuff like nuclear missiles filled with pudding.

[/quote]Music? We could use that! Can you give us some samples?[/quote]

Sure! http://www.soundcloud.com/pack-man-music

I can do regular music or old school chiptune (which I'm guessing would fit the style better).
EDIT: I wouldn't mind making a few OSTs since I'm not too busy for the next couple of months.

Once you start working out more detailed dialogue, I wouldn't mind contributing to writing. I'm also a novice programmer. ...I have way to many hobbies.

Mod Edit: Same as above
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

GreatKitsune wrote:
Sure! http://www.soundcloud.com/pack-man-music

I can do regular music or old school chiptune (which I'm guessing would fit the style better).
EDIT: I wouldn't mind making a few OSTs since I'm not too busy for the next couple of months.
Well, it's really awesome music. I really like the idea of Housepets! with electronic music, I'm not sure what the others think though. If you could make tracks a little less "heavy", that would be awesome.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

SuperStar wrote:
King
, I have 2 ideas for him. One is a Shovel cause, well you know. Two is a old RPG fashioned Sword, as a reference to him being a more serious character.
Did you just turn king into shovel knight?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote:
SuperStar wrote:
King
I didn't mean too, I was just thinking of... well... this: https://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/03/ ... -solution/
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Buster wrote:
SuperStar wrote:
King
...OH MY DOG I NEED TO DRAW THAT NOW. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

All the sprites look great, love them. I can't listen to the music examples at the moment, but I will do that when I get home.

The most I could do is offer ideas towards the story. I think I offered one or two that people liked. I could also test it when testers are needed, I would probably be good at that.

This project seems to be going in a good direction. :D
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Okay, Peanut's done, starting on the next character. (i'll do the sleeping/collapsed poses if we need them.)
Attachments
peanut sheet2.png
peanut sheet2.png (21.23 KiB) Viewed 25511 times
Last edited by Buster on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote:Okay, Peanut's done, starting on the next character. (i'll do the sleeping/collapsed poses if we need them.)
Those are great! I'll go update the game build with them!

The sleeping/collapsed poses may be needed some time, it would be nice if you could do them "some time". But they aren't needed right now, so don't worry about them though.