Who is your favorite Housepets Character?

Discuss the comic here
Amazee Dayzee

Re: Who is your favorite Housepets Character?

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I could but then I would see characters that I think should be higher on the list and move them and see more characters and want to put more characters in on the list and I would never be happy with it.

OCD SUCKS!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

To be honest, I could totally switch Marion, Lois, and Fox around with no problem at all. I do think that Maxwell and Fox could be pretty good friends.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Fox is an intriguing character.

One of the original and most recurring Housepets characters, we meet him as member of Bino's "posse" and then learn very quickly [1] he is alienated from the heroic Fido, [2] he despises cats because that's what dogs are supposed to do, [3] he is fiercely loyal once he's found someone to fix his loyalty upon, [4] he dreams of living the life of a "Summer Blockbuster" hero, and yet [5] he is insecure, often melancholy, and regularly disappointed and left lonely.

I remember, inspired by the famous "Fluffy" adventure Fox has with Maxwell and Grape, that this might take him the direction of a friendship with either or both of the cats. Grape struck me as an interesting pairing with Fox, partly because there would still be enough antagonism to give them some crackle and partly because (at the time) I didn't much like Max. Instead, Fox emerged as Joel/King's loyal sidekick and increasingly became alienate from Bino. Since then, these same themes - loyalty and loss, heroism and inability, friendship and estrangement - keep threading through his appearances. Fox, then, is one of Rick's deeper and (for me) sympathetic characters. And, of course, he's funny but often in a sadder mood, more like Maxwell then say Peanut or Kitsune.

Fox has been a kind of second fiddle in so many relationships - Bino, Bailey, King, Fido, Sabrina, Sasha, Mungo, Ralph, Spring and Summer - and so often wound up alone and not a little hurt. He despises Bino but cannot resist the call to rally "the posse" in a rather cruel plot to win Sasha back for him by convincing her she's so wretched only Bino will have her. The plot backfires. Fox gets a crush on Sasha, his kindness convinces her she doesn't need such a dastardly boyfriend, and she leaves the conniving Bino. However, it is not in the nature of Fox's character to win. Instead of becoming Sasha's "superhero", Fox gets to see Kevin (an antagonist) "get the girl" and he's left in the snow, a casual reject and emotional casualty. Later, Kevin will further rub it in by taking Fox to watch Sasha do a hilarious bit as a nightclub singer, just to let Fox know what he's missed. (Full disclosure: Not a Kevin fan, me.)

His friendships with King and Bailey diminished, he joins the K9s to again become a hero. Again, partnered with the relentlessly cheerie (and by-the-book) policedog, Mungo, Fox finds himself again championing Sasha. In the process, he and Sabrina have a confrontation in which Fox bares his soul about his betrayal of Fido and his distain for cats. In a very moving sequence, the husky bares his soul, reveals his emotional pain, and admits his guilt and sorrow, for which Sabrina forgives him and you get a sense that a kind of redemption has taken place.

But this is Fox we're talking about. So, in the end, Fox is once again denied the accolades of the super-hero and, instead, gets a cold, clinical analysis and dressing-down from his boss. He had it all wrong and Ralph intends to see him know it. In the end, Fox gets a party invitation, an offer of counseling from Mungo (a sweet, good-hearted guy who has boundary problems with both phyical objects and other creatures), and a nice note from two phantoms. So, Fox does "get the girl(s), but instead of Sasha or Daisy or some other mortal beauty, he gets Spring and Summer, two rather vapid Celestial fantasies. Again, a somewhat dusty consolation prize.

Two later Fox stories seem to fit in these same patterns. In the Temple-crashers, Fox dons a Roman Helmet to play a War Hero but, again, that opportunity is denied him. Instead, the honor of mortal combat against the force of evil falls to Res, the neurotic author of Pridelands and an infrequent guest star in the series. Like Fox, Res is beset by every angst and insecurity as Fox, but he steps out of the shadows to confront the Infernal champion, The Forgotten. Res is triumphant, and Fox remains lost among the entourage, unrecognized and overshadowed, with assorted bit players. Res becomes The UnForgotten. Fox, again, remains The UnFulfilled.

In another story, Fox appears with the police crew arriving at Keene's sauna to try to enforce some order on the machinations of the lawless ferret. Now, it's not entirely fair, I think, to criticize what an artist doesn't do, but I was disappointed in this otherwise wonderful epic by a "note not struck in the song." Fox and Fido are shown working together as colleagues. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ESTANGEMENT BETWEEN THEM? After all "the years and the tears" and assorted hints, I expected at sometime we might get a few strips showing the reconciliation of these two who, at one time, had been close friends. Rick can be so masterful at these emotional, insightful episodes. This time, it wasn't Fox who was disappointed. It was me.

Fox may be preordained to live out his life as the perpetual Third fiddle, always a contender and never a winner. Yet, if that is his role in the saga of Babylon Gardens, there is a kind of heroism in his lonely, melancholy striving. Perhaps Rick has assigned to our gentle, hopeful husky the role of caring the banner for all of us who have tried, failed, said "carp", and then tried again. In that sense, for all his flaws, there is something about Fox that is inheritently admirable. Even noble.

So ... I like Fox.
FalinkesInculta

Post by FalinkesInculta »

yo socrates its just a comic
Next up is a song about a beautiful woman i met,

Just kidding,

Its about getting drunk
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

FalinkesInculta wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:41 pm yo socrates its just a comic
for some ... ;)
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

peanut
Peanut
Peanut.
PEANUT.
PEANUT
PEANUT
PEANUT
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:46 am peanut
Peanut
Peanut.
PEANUT.
PEANUT
PEANUT
PEANUT
Woooo! Point made!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Glad that you cleared that up because I was about to guess that it was Mungo. xD
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'd hoped it might be Daisy. Sigh.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure somebody who joins will have a favorite character that is Daisy someday. :mrgreen:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:11 am I'm sure somebody who joins will have a favorite character that is Daisy someday. :mrgreen:
You're always so kind, Amazz. Thanks, chum.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You know I always try to be kind.
Bellatrix

Post by Bellatrix »

Breel is absolutely precious and I will shank anyone who says otherwise
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I question his character judgement on Keene, but Keene is finally improving.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:48 pm I question his character judgement on Keene, but Keene is finally improving.
Love's just funny, ain't it? ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe Breel sees something inside of Keene deep down that Keene doesn't know that is there or that he had and is waiting for it to come to the surface at some point. Some people do see stuff in other people that others might not see.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:42 am Maybe Breel sees something inside of Keene deep down that Keene doesn't know that is there or that he had and is waiting for it to come to the surface at some point. Some people do see stuff in other people that others might not see.
I think so. And it's certainly predictable that, having begun with a continuing crush on Keene, Breel would have even an even deeper sense of devotion after the ferret threw aside everything he had to fetch him up out of the perils of Pandemonium. Guess they're "works in progress".......
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That was the moment right there where Breel knew that Keene wasn't selfish and didn't care and really had strong feelings for him.
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

While I might go into my favorite character later (Short Answer: Peanut, followed closely behind by King and Tarot, in general because they are likable and interesting characters) I don't mind Keene. Re-reading the comic again I sympathize with him. He isn't my personal favorite, but I started to feel bad for the guy. At first, he was just another Milton Ferret, a silly hedonist with more money than sense, and then we see reminisce about his former owner and his grand, unfilled ambitions while drunk and started the ECP. And then while trying to vacation, he goes to help the wolves and then get stuck in the zoo for months. I think I felt bad for him the first time, but rereading it, after that can you really blame him for trying to look towards the magical answer that was right in his backyard and get progressively more desperate to reach it as you keep pushing harder and harder towards your goals and your goals just pushed harder and harder back? It is easy to forget, but as sinister as Keene can come off, his goals involve letting the neighbor pets have fun (sometimes with ulterior motives like stealthily trying to product test some toys) and using his vast wealth for an arduous legal battle against systemic inequality.

Keene didn't just suddenly become a good guy, he just needed to and then did, learn restraint.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I know that Keene needed to evolve and change his attitude over time and that is what he did. However I think that it wasn't until he found someone he had deep feelings for and realized he messed up by making them cry and them having them sent to Hell that he realized how he was coming off and began to change himself a bit more.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

We may get to see Keene again soon. I suspect Eudoant has him on his Pandemonial "to do" list. :?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe we will see Breel save him like Keene saved Breel.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Changed my mind. It's definitely today's platypus now.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

There are a ton of characters I like, and a sizable number I love. I think my favorite written character is Peanut, but I have been having a hard time putting why into words and it will likely end up a long rant.

So, instead I want to give a medium rant about my personal favorite character, Tarot. I love the supernatural elements of Housepets, and not only is she heavily involved with it, but she is a great character.

Her separation from Dragon and the loss of her god-like power has had a clear effect on her, and her trying to adapt to just being just a wizard has been very endearing like when she got her crystal tablet.

She plays off Peanut very well. Hearts and Mind was a great arc and showed how the relationship was from prefect, but it was due to their mutual faults playing off each other and that they do want the best for each other and would like to improve if they can. Also, I love the facial impressions in this comic and Tarot's 'I was a mind-reader' was great. And it does make a lot of sense, Tarot knew going in that Grape and Peanut had feelings towards each other and told Grape that she can only leave if Grape commits to Peanut.

Tarot had also had her own fair share of gags I love, like when the playing cards and fortune telling cards got swapped, some funny background events, and to many lines of dialogue to list.
Immortal_Requiem

Post by Immortal_Requiem »

Like many shows/videogames/comics/... that I like, there are always a great number of characters that I enjoy to see again and again for being funny, relatable or just appealing/interesting.

However ... On extremely rare ocasions, I end up finding characters that for some reason behave quite ... reasonably and in depth? They usually talk how I would and I believe people should in those situations, and I absolutely love them beyond infinity.
They are consistent characters that express their feelings, but their thought process its usually far more on point than the whole cast and even most real people I know. I bit hard to explain, but I'll try with an example of a character that I find leading towards this path.

Not so long ago (I believe at least? Sorry, I'm new but readed absolutely all episodes in two weeks xd) we had the episodes where fox was in "Therapy" with Mungo, Spring and Summer:
- Someone’s Rocking My Dreamboat
"I'm really sick of being denied what I want back home.... This is everything I've ever wanted..."
- Booted To Lobby
- Knock Knocking Around
"You're the best thing that ever happened to me. All I gotta do is wait to die"
- Tidings Of Comfort And Joy
(Both foxes whole speach)

Given the life of Fox, I can only say he is on point, everything he says has a real thought behind. Heaven is too good, and he knows what there is down on earth, it absolutely has no sense to leave "paradise", even less when it undeniably will be there again at some point. Thats why he expreses that he would better be there forever ... like pretty much every single citizen there! I'm afraid to tell you that Summer's reaction is ultra wrong and the only stupid thing in that page of the comic.

When you reach that point of thought, anything else that doesn't make sense or is badly explained won't have any use at all. Once again, everybody on heaven had died before, and many or perhaps far more than the average could have gone though useless garbage lives. Take for instance the mouse that Grape swallowed x3
Like I believe Keene said in one page, the pro's of heaven is that given the infinite amount of time, everybody gets to be the best version of themselves, but on earth they have a lot more battles to face and they probably will never achieve that. Its stupid to take as a given that him wishing to stay its stupid.

Luckily, there is another smart guy (or maybe not? xd) that trully is of help and once again has a better chain of thoughts than the whole cast. Giving Fox the only thing that could actually be helpful and understandable in that given moment by him. Funny that this somebody is also himself ... and from the future ... "Nobody is good enough? Fine, I'll do it myself" xd

TLDR: Fox is my smart boy of choice, though Keene and King do stand close right now, with also Bailey and Breel on the third tier for different reasons. Things could change in the next arc however.
I have to say, that I like a lot more of housepets characters than I usually do for any other comic/serie/videogame/etc.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is the same for me but then again I don't honestly read as many comics online so there really isn't much for me to compare when it comes to characters I like.
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

Fido
B.E.A.R. PMC
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Must confess, I'm kinda enjoying Eudoant - comic villains are fun but sometimes you want to watch a first-class baddie at work!
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Fox and Peanut. I've said this before and I'll happily say it again.
Fox is pretty cool (and kinda relatable to me) and Peanut is too adorable.
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
gforce

Post by gforce »

Fox. To be honest there’s not many reasons I really picked him as a favorite, aside from the bandana he wears (because bandanas are doggone awesome) and the fact that he was one of the very first characters I saw online before I eventually found the comic itself. He is kinda relatable to me in a couple of ways (laid back and not easily angered) but as far as I can tell that’s about it.

And of course Grape and Peanut. The cynical purple feline and the cheerful cinnamon bun will forever be mainstays at the top of my list of favorite fictional characters :D
That sounded better in my head