The Silver Screen

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

NHWestoN

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:It can't be anymore nightmare fuel then when they revealed Sonic's first realistic look.
Rather sorry you brought that up...
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

How was Dora and the Lost City of Gold one of the better films I’ve seen this year? While the high school stuff was exactly as uncomfortable and awkward as you’d expect, every other part of the movie was great. It had good jokes, good acting, and also some rather surprising anti-imperialist themes. I’d give it a B plus.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am really curious about how they would take a preschooler's television show and turn it into a movie that is a bit mature and send it to theaters. What is the point of that? I'm sure that the young children who watch the cartoon on Nick Jr. would be a bit baffled as to why they turned their cartoon into a totally different live-action movie.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The point is (or seems to be) that studios are making massive revenues transforming cartoon worlds into physical "realitiy shows" in the movies and on stage.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah but I still think it would definitely cause resentment with the age demographic of the original show since they wouldn't be able to see it. And I'm saying this as someone who DIDN'T grow up watching Nick Jr. (I grew up with the Disney Channel).
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I feel like you’re over estimating how mature this movie is. There’s nothing in here that someone in the tv shows target demographic couldn’t handle.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Looking at the rating, you are probably right as around the age that the demographic for the television show is was when I first went to see my first PG movie. To be honest, all I had to go on was the commercial where someone said Dora brought a knife to school. I do hope that if any kids watch that they don't emulate it. Yeah I know I am being paranoid but with everything that has been going on recently I get to be. :|
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

That’s part of a joke where she brings a bunch of jungle survival gear to school, because her parents did a terrible job of preparing her for civilization after spending sixteen years in the jungle (her dad thought it was more important to try to explain rave music to her, because he’s a comedy relief character). It’s there as a fish out of water joke, and to explain why she has all her gear with her once she and her friends get kidnapped and sent back to the jungle.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm just sort of wondering WHY her parents and her spent 16 years in the jungle at that point unless they were trapped. I would have thought that parents would have done everything in their power to get their daughter out of a dangerous situation like that.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Saw "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood". Tom Hanks nails Fred Rogers, although at times the character comes off more like Yoda. The story's kinda pedestrian but the way they weave the sets, characters, and ambience of the show through the realities of a man and a family in crisis is clever and original as all get out. Daniel Tiger has a cameo, too.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I went to see "Frozen 2" last week and even though I didn't see the first one nor did I really like it because I thought it was way too overplayed, the movie was enjoyable.
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Has anyone else here seen Top Gun?
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Saw "Rise of Skywalker" and ... Um ... It was okay. Seemed like it recycled a lot of the plot from the very first movie, and it dragged in places but not bad overall. Thought more people on the forum would have commented on it.....
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just went and saw the second Jumanji movie tonight. I have to say, I wasn't really a big fan of it. Though that might be because I didn't see the first movie when they went into the game. I thought they could stand alone. Boy how wrong I was. I guess it was OK.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Saw "Little Women" last night. Very fine period piece and very touching story, familiar though it is.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I thought that movie looked really interesting but never made time to see it.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

There were five other folks in the theatre with me and the missus so this flick's about run its course, I guess.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Has it always had low attendance or is that a new thing that just started if you know?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Has it always had low attendance or is that a new thing that just started if you know?
Not sure if there's a trend there or not. My impression - I'm eager to be corrected - is that a theatre contracts to show a movie for a certain block of time, say three weeks. However, the number of people who go see it will eventually dwindle based on [1] the number of folks in the theatre's operational radius, [2] the appeal of and "buzz" around the movie, [3] the number of daily showings, and [4] the weather. In this case, we were probably going pretty late in the cycle.

Same with tonight. Went to see "1917", great flick, but there were maybe twenty people present.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If it is very late in the cycle that the movie stays in the theater, then like you said that would be why attendance has gone down.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Saw "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood." Fun buddy movie that rewrites a little history.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

What sort of history does it rewrite?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... The late 60s and the Manson murders.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wouldn't know that because I didn't see the movie so no need to be snotty. :roll:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I wouldn't know that because I didn't see the movie so no need to be snotty. :roll:
The intention of my answer was to be simple and direct, not dismissive, Amazee. :|
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorry. When I replied back to you I was dealing with my dying grandmother and I am always overly sensitive and perceive some replies to be an attack. <_>
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Sorry. When I replied back to you I was dealing with my dying grandmother and I am always overly sensitive and perceive some replies to be an attack. <_>
Hardly a problem, friend. I figured with all you were going through, you might be feeling pretty vulnerable and hurt. Again, I'm just sorry for your grief.
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

Just seen Sonic The Hedgehog today. The greatest video game adaptation on the silver screen. Looking forward to Sonic The Hedgehog 2. (Guess who debut in the sequel. No spoilers but let's just say we haven't heard the last of Robotnik.)
Challenge James T Cat in SMASH Ultimate plus Switch Online: SW-2695-1793-4587
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Saw Sonic today, and I must say, I quite enjoyed it.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Is it wrong for me to wonder what people would think of it if we still had THIS?

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Wasn't a Sonic sort myself, but I might give it a view...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm still trying to figure out how they thought the above picture was in anyway a GOOD idea. :|
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how they thought the above picture was in anyway a GOOD idea. :|
I'm not entirely convinced that the whole thing wasn't just a marketing ploy; make a horrendous rendition of Sonic for the trailer to garner attention, while intending all the while to change Sonic's appearance for the release of the movie. If that was the plan, it worked very well.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

From what I read, the guys in charge knew Sonic fans wouldn't like it, but thought it would be accepted by the general public because they liked the Transformers and Ninja Turtles with more realistic design, despite the fact that EVERYONE ELSE involved said don't do that.

Then the trailer was released, and the guys in charge learned the hard way how wrong they were. It cost an estimated $5 million extra to fix things.

So the problem was out-of-touch suits.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Moral of the story: if you are behind making a movie on a video game character and you have no clue about the game he comes from or how to make him look, talk to people who actually are fans of the game.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Moral of the story: if you are behind making a movie on a video game character and you have no clue about the game he comes from or how to make him look, talk to people who actually are fans of the game.
Exactly! Don't diss the fans, folks.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Because if you don't, the movie will end up flopping in a massive mess of embarrassment.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

I actually haven't seen any movies this year in theaters (Probably gonna skip Birds Of Prey and had no intention of seeing Sonic as...well I'm just not a fan of the series, even though I liked Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog), though I do plan on seeing Bloodshot and, possibly, Mulan next month. Otherwise, if I may be honest: There doesn't seem to be that many interesting films coming out this year.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I didn't even know that there was a Mulan film coming out. Is it a remake?
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Yeah. The trailers sort of make it looks like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (plus, it's their first PG-13 remake). No Mushu in it though which made some folks mad but I can sorta see why they omitted him and replaced him with a Phoenix for Mulan (I forgot where I read the reasoning though).
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City