Useless Information Thread

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Useless Information Thread

Post by Sleet »

The "orchestra hit" sound used in a lot of keyboards and '80s/'90s music was originally sampled from Stravinsky's Firebird Suite.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

deadmau5's iconic plucksynth is a saw wave with an assigned filter envelope.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

There are 187,888 lakes in Finland but not a single payphone.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Twinferno's/Doublecross' Titanmaster Daburu is based off of the Battle Beast White Leo, who appeared in the same episode as Doublecross' first appearance in the Headmasters anime.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

There's a Golf Club on the border of Sweden and Finland. Half the holes are in one country and half in the other.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

If you don't count the shoulder guns, Titans Return Fortress Maximus just barely beats out Thrilling 30 Metroplex as the tallest Transformer ever.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

Theodore Roosevelt Fact of the Day: Teddy Roosevelt was once shot in the chest at near point blank range, survived, assecessed his own wound and then proceeded to give a 93 minute long speech which he started off with stating "I understand most of you are unwary of what has just happened. I have been shot, but it's going to take a lot more than that to Kill a Bull Moose.".

This concludes Theodore Roosevelt fact of the day.
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

There is a lake in Canada called "Another lake", as the country has more lakes than the rest of the world combined.

Second Teddy Roosevelt fact of the day: He supported Lepopold II's actions in Belgium's colonies and basically brought misery and puppet dictatorships to central and central-south america, killing many people in the process.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Actor, producer, director Kirk Douglas turned 100 years old last month.
Panda Panda Panda
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

11:59 PM last night had 61 seconds in it. 11:59:60 was a thing.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

People like to talk about the 1400 hp monsters that were the Formula 1 cars of the 80s as the cutting edge of power and weight- and while this was true, it was only really true for roughly 4 laps.

The exorbitant power figures were made with so-called "qualifying engines" built to last- you guessed it, exactly one qualifying session. After that, it would turn into a qualifying grenade. The real race engines made somewhere around 900 hp- which is still respectable, but not quite what people love to romanticize about.

kurowolfe wrote:

It is so complicated that it does not exist in major Chinese dictionaries, and can't be typed out in a computer using traditional means.
Being a student in Chinese, it was pretty amusing to realize I recognized most of that character.

It also led me to desire to make something as silly as this- a how-to-write for those who for whatever reason just want their hands to suffer at the altar of writing needlessly complex things and do it right!

In other words, useful information on a useless thing.
Attachments
biang guide.png
biang guide.png (186.76 KiB) Viewed 58162 times
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

That looks like it's telling a story about a horse moon elder giving a speech about silk in a cave by a cove and then getting stabbed to the heart and trying to get away.

You never taught us how to interpret it. :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Mickey the Luxray

Douglas Collier wrote:That looks like it's telling a story about a horse moon elder giving a speech about silk in a cave by a cove and then getting stabbed to the heart and trying to get away.

You never taught us how to interpret it. :P
The way radicals work is a lot more complicated than I let on in that post- each character is mostly credited with exactly one radical (in this case, I believe that would be chun, the one in black, but I could be wrong since I don't exactly have a reference on hand- like Kuro said, the character isn't listed in any dictionaries), which means everything else is a phonetic. The phonetic section is probably a collection of several other characters that are made up of the groups of radicals that could have entirely different meanings to the radicals themselves.

Not to mention, I was never taught how to interpret radicals either- so even though I can write it, the actual meaning of the character is totally lost on me as well!

I probably need to ask my teacher to extrapolate on that...

EDIT: So I consulted my Chinese teacher about the meaning of the character, and she pretty much told me that biang was created for the express purpose of being needlessly complicated, and means nothing on it's own.

It's like the Chinese version of supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
Last edited by Mickey the Luxray on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liam

Post by Liam »

When famous (and famously cranky) SF author Harlan Ellison wanted to disown a project without the other party getting wind of the fact, he invoked a clause he put in his contracts that let him use the pseudonym "Cordwainer Bird," a reference to another SF writer who went by the pen name of Cordwainer Smith (who wasn't actually a hack as the borrowed name may imply).
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Believe it or not, there is actually an anthropomorphic version of Spider man that has been around since the 1980's. His name was Spider Ham.
Yeah, this wasn't just a joke from the Simpsons.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Saturn381 wrote:Believe it or not, there is actually an anthropomorphic version of Spider man that has been around since the 1980's. His name was Spider Ham.
fun fact: Peter Porker is actually a spider who was bitten by a radioactive anthropomorphic pig scientist named May Porker
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

This thread is over five years old; almost six.
Douglas Collier

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Saturn381 wrote:Believe it or not, there is actually an anthropomorphic version of Spider man that has been around since the 1980's. His name was Spider Ham.
fun fact: Peter Porker is actually a spider who was bitten by a radioactive anthropomorphic pig scientist named May Porker
This amuses me greatly.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

There is an unused HTTP error code called "Error 418: I'm a teapot"

More fun
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Italy has been the major kiwifruit producer in the world, now surpassed by China in the latest years.
Mickey the Luxray

Let's not forget the time DC Comics made Colonel Sanders a cyborg chicken, living in an apocalyptic wasteland where everyone's part animal.

And then had him join forces with five other versions of Colonel Sanders, including one with a bucket for a head, to fight the evil Nega-Sanders and restore chicken peace to the multiverse.

What a wild ride.

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I remember hearing of that straight from the desk of Death Battle.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Liam

Post by Liam »

The guy on the left doesn't have a KFC bucket for a head, he just wears one because he's the Colonel from Bizarroworld.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor. Aenean massa. mack truck sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Donec quam felis, ultricies nec, pellentesque eu, pretium quis, sem. Nulla consequat massa quis enim. Donec pede justo, fringilla vel, aliquet nec, vulputate eget, arcu. In enim justo, rhoncus ut, imperdiet a, venenatis vitae, justo. Nullam dictum felis eu pede mollis pretium. Integer tincidunt. Cras dapibus. Vivamus elementum semper nisi. Aenean vulputate eleifend tellus. Aenean leo ligula, porttitor eu, consequat vitae, eleifend ac, enim. Aliquam lorem ante, dapibus in, viverra quis, feugiat a, tellus. Phasellus viverra nulla ut metus varius laoreet. Quisque rutrum. Aenean imperdiet. Etiam ultricies nisi vel augue. Curabitur ullamcorper ultricies nisi. Nam eget dui. Etiam rhoncus. Maecenas tempus, tellus eget condimentum rhoncus, sem quam semper libero, sit amet adipiscing sem neque sed ipsum. Nam quam nunc, blandit vel, luctus pulvinar, hendrerit id, lorem. Maecenas nec odio et ante tincidunt tempus. Donec vitae sapien ut libero venenatis faucibus. Nullam quis ante. Etiam sit amet orci eget eros faucibus tincidunt. Duis leo. Sed fringilla mauris sit amet nibh. Donec sodales sagittis magna.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

NaF wins! Thread over! :lol:
Douglas Collier

Google translate detected that was Latin, and so did I - but neither of us understood most of it. :P
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's lorem ipsum, which is nonsensical text that's aesthetically comparable to real text (rather than random letters), which is used for sampling typesetting and the likes.
Deske

Post by Deske »

There are multiple sets of tendons in the hand allowing for interdependent and grouped movement of the fingers. Learned that little fact today. Before I had just assumed that they were all interdependent. I suppose having them grouped helps with grip strength. Science!
Last edited by Hlaoroo on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not link to forum-inappropriate material even with a warning.
FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

I named a currently unidentified lake creature Mike.

Mike likes Lake Myers.
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The following Japanese poem used to be used as the order of the "alphabet" (more specifically, the list of syllables). In the original Japanese, every syllable is used exactly once:

Although its scent still lingers on
the form of a flower has scattered away
For whom will the glory
of this world remain unchanged?
Arriving today at the yonder side
of the deep mountains of evanescent existence
We shall never allow ourselves to drift away
intoxicated, in the world of shallow dreams.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Believe it or not, the first Toy Story movie was almost cancelled. During production, Jeffrey Katzenberg who was head of the animation department at Disney at the time, kept pushing Pixar to make Toy Story more edgy. The result was what is known as the black Friday reel, which shows Woody being a complete jerk. Here, take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOxJpGI8SWc

The test screening for that reel did so horribly that Disney wanted to cancel the whole thing. Thankfully however, Pixar decided to rewrite it into more of wha they wanted Toy Story to be, and that version did well enough that Disney decided to let them continue with the project. And the rest was history.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Saturn381 wrote:Thankfully however, Pixar decided to rewrite it into more of wha they wanted Toy Story to be, and that version did well enough that Disney decided to let them continue with the project.
not only did they rewrite it, they brought on Joss Whedon to do it
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Deske

Post by Deske »

RAS Syndrome refers to the use of one or more words used in an acronym in conjunction with the acronym. Examples include PIN Number (Personal Identification Number Number), ATM Machine (Automated Teller Machine Machine), and RAS Syndrome (Redundant Acronym Syndrome Syndrome).
Douglas Collier

I thought it stood for Rescue Aid Society. =B
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Deske wrote:RAS Syndrome refers to the use of one or more words used in an acronym in conjunction with the acronym. Examples include PIN Number (Personal Identification Number Number), ATM Machine (Automated Teller Machine Machine), and RAS Syndrome (Redundant Acronym Syndrome Syndrome).
RIP in Peace? :^)
Deske

Post by Deske »

That could probably work too. Though personally I don't think I've ever said "RIP in Peace" in an unironic fashion.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

"PIN number" makes me cringe pretty hard. :P
ProjectileMfunction

Post by ProjectileMfunction »

-Water is wet :shock:
-Fire is hot
-Modern Roblox is garbage
-I got the "privilege" of watching Roblox slowly die in agony over the course of 4 years... I need to go back to 2013 and tell myself to leave before I get too "attached" to it.
-Minecraft is overrun by 9 year olds
-Fire ants are not made of fire
-I am an idiot
-I tend to do really dumb things and "forget" about the rules when I am increadibly tired (lol sorry)
-The line and circle on on/off switches represents a one and a zero
-Wikipedia admins prevent vandalism too fast nowadays
-I was banned from Wikipedia for vandalism on 5 different accounts in one day as a challenge
-My school is IP banned from editing Wikipedia and I'm sad I wasn't the cause of that
-Comic Sans is ugly
-YouTube's copyright system is awful
Last edited by ProjectileMfunction on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's the door.
Deske

Post by Deske »

I'm about 99% sure I'm the reason my school updated from XP to Win7.
Was Roblox ever any good?
ProjectileMfunction

Post by ProjectileMfunction »

Deske wrote:Was Roblox ever any good?
Well--
...Good question actually. :?
There's the door.