I just read through the entire archives!

Discuss the comic here
Indagare

I just read through the entire archives!

Post by Indagare »

There's a group of folks here (and certainly on the comments) who, somehow, find the comic and, after finding it, proceed to read through the archives in something like four hours or so. Or, at least, it takes these people a short time to read through the entire archive.

This thread is for you. I'm not a member, having read Housepets! since its inception, but if you're a member of this group I'm curious as to what caused you to read through the whole archives and if you've ever done this before with another web comic.

Think of it as a way to ego-boost or encourage Rick. :D
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
Mika

Re: I just read through the entire archives!

Post by Mika »

My advice: DONT FORGET THE ALT-TEXT OMG!!!
Staring at Chuck Norris for extended periods of time can cause eye damage and foot sized bruises to the face.
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

I have indeed read through the archives. Housepets was actually a piece of cake compared to Freefall, which now has over 2,000 strips. Anyway, I didn't read through either of them in one sitting. I think it was probably a couple of days of off-and-on reading for each. Just a bit more for Freefall. :3
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I read the entire archive...

once a week...

every week...

:|

~~~Reality~~~

When i first discovered this comic i read the entire archive. I suddenly went to read some of the Garfield comic website and noticed the archive there is... 3 times as long as Housepets. but for granted, the quality of Housepets is much better than Garfields. and that's once again another good reason to give Rick his credit when due. <3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

When I started reading, I read the archive in about 30 minutes. It was always my plan to read the whole archive, even before I read a single strip.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

I read the whole thing from start to just after the Wonderful Dog's Life arc, and I think it took me 2 days? My absolute best (or perhaps worst) was 2000 comics in one day, but I forget what comic that was.
However, I do have a terrible habit of reading a comic, finding a character that I absolutely love, and then having that character be killed off in the first few updates after I've caught up. Oh yes, I'm looking at you Dandy and Company!
Fortunately, King is still alive and well. So no worries about that having happened here.
valerio

Post by valerio »

I got it into 45 mins, but there were less comics than now...
it took me 1 week to browse through the whole Irregularwebcomic, and 3 days for '1/0'
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

The downside is that we save the page (so I don't have to wait it load every time) the alt text isn't saved as well.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

When I found the comic, I went through the entire archive. Total time was probably around 6 hours (I took breaks for eating and watching Starcraft). I still don't know HOW I found it...I just did. And since then, I just can't be unhappy. It's weird. Something about this webcomic just makes me so happy that I can't stop smiling.

Not that I'm complaining, I love being happy!
Karl

Post by Karl »

I remember that I started reading Housepets! when there was Theme Park World going on. Then, I started to read the archive. It took me 3 hours to read all. I remember many strips that were really great, like when Peanut was sitting in his room, surrounded by toys. But the wrost thing was when I was unable to click on NEXT anymore.

But I still return to archives.
I'm a bookworm!
Reima

Post by Reima »

A friend sent me this comic strip today: https://www.housepetscomic.com/2008/06/ ... just-lost/

And I was curious about the comic, so I started reading from the beginning. Originally, I liked the humor and that alone kept me interested. But then, larger plots began forming and before I knew it I had read the entire archive! I have never read a full archive of a comic before. I've read large chunks of comics before, but never the entire archive.

So...I like this comic! :D
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free.
"
~Clarence Darrow
Vyath

Post by Vyath »

One day I was bored and found a few of Rick's comics on Deviantart. I liked what I saw, and went and read through everything. I don't exactly know how long it took me (I had other things to that day but I kept sneaking back to my laptop to read) but I read fast and I can definitely say it would be less than four hours. I love a good story, and once I'm hooked on a story, I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO FINISH IT.
The only other time I've done something like this is when I discovered the comic "Accursed Dragon". While I still like that comic, my enthusiasm for it has decreased somewhat. It's very plot-based of a comic, with just a little humor here and there.
I really like Housepets because of the dynamic characters and the ability to have a great amount of plot and humor at the same time. This really gives me something to look forward to as I work my way through each week.
Karlos wrote:But the worst thing was when I was unable to click on NEXT anymore.
haha, I felt the same way. Image

unfortunately, soon I will be unable to go onto this website for about two years but on the bright side that means I'll have two years' worth of comics to binge read when I get back!
coconut

Post by coconut »

I read through the housepets! archives about two days ago, and I must say..... THIS IS THE BEST FREAKING WEBCOMIC EVER! OMG WHAT THE HECK AM I GOING TO DO WITH MY LIFE NOW THAT I'M DONE WITH THE ARCHIVES! AAAAAGGGHHHHH!
Now that I got that out of my system, I just want to say that I really do enjoy this comic (and this is coming from someone who's not even into webcomics.) I knew that it was fate when I stumbled upon (not in terms of the web browser "stumpleupon". I actually ran into it the old fashion way) while I was bored to death in my cubicle at work. I had just read through the archives of my boyfriend's webcomic and after that I was just meandering through the internet until I found Housepets!
I just love this comic :3
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

If I remember correctly, it may have taken me a couple of hours to power through the archives when I first found it.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

I always start from the beginning no matter which comic. If I didn't read the archive, it means I either didn't read it or stopped reading it.

I can't remember how long it took me to read through the archive during my first time though, but I know I have already reread the archive 4 or 5 times for drawing purpose!
exranio

Post by exranio »

I did it just after the arc where king discovers the game. Took me 8 hours if I remember coorect. I have a horrible memory though
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I started about when King discovered the game. I am a webcomic junkie, and always read the entire archives first. I spent a good couple hours reading through the Housepets archives, and I did not stop smiling the entire time. Great webcomic. I read through the archives at least once a month.

I follow almost thirty webcomics. Read through every archive, plus ones that I didn't like... I think the longest one I read through was Questionable Content. Had about 3000 pages, I think. Maybe Pokenmon X has more though.... not sure.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

copper wrote:I think the longest one I read through was Questionable Content. Had about 3000 pages, I think. Maybe Pokenmon X has more though.... not sure.
Questionable Content only has a little over 1000 pages; there's not a lot of webcomics that've passed 2000
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Freefall is at 2054 and Irregular Webcomic! is at 3079 currently.

Is there anywhere where Housepets! is listed numerically instead of by dates?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I believe it only took me like 3-4 hours to get though this entire Archive when I first found it. I mean I've read though Freefall which took me at least half a day to do and I've read Problem Sleuth which took me like a day of combined time. (split over like 2 days of course) I actually love doing archive binges like that its kind of fun. As long as the comic is good of course.

Edit:
Sleet wrote:Is there anywhere where Housepets! is listed numerically instead of by dates?
Yeah I've always wondered what number we are on actually
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I don't think I can read anything more than a 1000 pages, no matter how amazing the story might be. It'll feel like reading an picture encyclopedia then :roll:

Even Housepets! took me 5 hours to grind through, and Faux Pas 7 hours... And both of them through the night XD
There are others that I've started reading sparsely, but so far I've only managed to finish two =3

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

I read through the archive in about an hour. I forget how I found this as well, I think it was through VGcats I'm not entirely sure.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

rickgriffin wrote:
copper wrote:I think the longest one I read through was Questionable Content. Had about 3000 pages, I think. Maybe Pokenmon X has more though.... not sure.
Questionable Content only has a little over 1000 pages; there's not a lot of webcomics that've passed 2000

Oops, sorry.Guess it just seemed like that much... :oops:
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
MartinSS

Post by MartinSS »

When I read through the archive the first time, it took me a whole afternoon. I can remember it very specifically because the most recent strip at the time ended with King waking up to see a statue saying "or was it". An awesome end to my introduction; I've never laughed so hard! :lol:
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

IceKitsune wrote:Edit:
Sleet wrote:Is there anywhere where Housepets! is listed numerically instead of by dates?
Yeah I've always wondered what number we are on actually
As of today, 465 stripes so far, I think! (Including Valentines cards but not including All the King's Men's bonus art, guest comics, and other bonus.)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oh wow, that's pretty impressive.
FuhrerVonZephyr

Post by FuhrerVonZephyr »

copper wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:

Oops, sorry.Guess it just seemed like that much... :oops:
Actually QC has 1964 strips in its archives as of July 7th.
Hey guys! I make art!
Grip

Post by Grip »

I read the entire archive when I first found the comic. I started it when the first strip in the Great Water Balloon War was posted. It took me about four hours to read the entire archive. I did the same thing with CTRL+ALT+DEL, as well as freefall, the latter of which took me about a week to do since I was in germany at the time, and did not have access to the internet all the time. However, I still kept up to date with Housepets! while I was there.
IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!
Chloraak

Post by Chloraak »

I found this comic about a month ago now, and at first I didn't bother reading it really, I just found the characters cute. Then I realized "Wait a minute. I have no understanding of who these critters are or what they are doing." So I read through it all - Yeah, it took roughly four hours. I think I started at 1 AM, fell asleep around 3, and continued when I woke up. All I can say is that it was absolutely worth it. I've never read or followed any other webcomic, and I don't think I really want to. I adore this one, and that's good enough for me. Here's hoping Rick keeps it up, and the other books come out soon, so that I can make my friends feel awkward by reading a book about animals that are naked all the time.
Love the comic, love the community.
Totally going to write saucy fan fiction about this comic one day
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That sounds just like my story! We're twins. :3
Chloraak

Post by Chloraak »

Sleet wrote:That sounds just like my story! We're twins. :3
I'm okay with having a twin <:D
Totally going to write saucy fan fiction about this comic one day
1boredcanadian

Post by 1boredcanadian »

I have no idea why I guess I like the artwork style, its easy to follow and (of course) the characters are likable and connectable to everyday life.
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

I started reading halfway through the King 'dream' sequence during the celestial D&D section and just thought...

'ok.'

But I'm real glad I went back and read through the archives, otherwise I probably would've dropped the whole comic pretty quick. Not that the arc was boring or anything, just that it was in SO much context that I had to get some backstory before I continued. I've re-read the entire comic once but go back and re-read a few of the arcs sometimes when I'm in the mood :)
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I skipped around alot when I found it, eventually I decided to read all the way through. I spread it out over 4ish hours and 2 days.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Isutus

Post by Isutus »

I just read through the archive the past 3 days, I was linked to it from a friend on +Google and really liked the comic I read, so I decided to start from the beginning and pretty soon it was all I could think about. All my spare time went into reading all the comics. I really do not know what it was that peaked my interest at first. (Perhaps the art style and the witty humor?) I ended up loving the characters and truly enjoying the story line.

First comic I have read all the way through and will be an avid follower from now on. (King's story really sparked my interest, he is a character I feel I relate to in a lot of ways. Also, no I did not get turned into a dog by a griffon. :P )
Aerroxosity

Post by Aerroxosity »

Well, how I found it I really couldn't tell you because I forgot... But how long it took me to read through it all was about five days. It constantly has me smiling no matter what, so basically, this comic is amazing.
Skylord

Post by Skylord »

I first found out about this comic from DA. I started reading it over 2 years ago and I read through the archives in one night. After lurking this board off an on in those 2 years I decided to actually join the community.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Wow, another long-time reader who took a while to join the forum. Neat!
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Maybe half a year ago, I read the whole thing in a day(IT'S JUST THAT GOOD!). I joined the forums like three days later...

Obsessive much right? |D

I also reread most of it, and enjoyed it just as much as the first time. X3

Rick is obviously the bomb.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Wolfy

Post by Wolfy »

I started at around maybe 2:00 am last sunday. finished at about half seven... I felt so dead when I woke up like three hours later but I can honestly say it was well worth it. This is literally the first time I have ever been so engrossed into something that I have forgotten to go to bed. so the only thing I have to say is well done rick, I dont know how you did it but you have made something truly spectacular thank you so much :D
I WUV MAH KITTIES!