Second Annual "To Write Love on Her Arms" Day!

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Ebly

Second Annual "To Write Love on Her Arms" Day!

Post by Ebly »

I admit, the first I've heard of this was a few hours ago. But I think it's a beautiful idea, so here it is.

On the 14th, write LOVE on your arm. One arm, or both, it doesn't matter. As long as it's in big letters. Wear your heart on your sleeve, almost literally. Make sure everyone can see the love on your arm. This is for those that hurt, or have hurt. Those that have survived and those that didn't make it. Those who will need to survive. This is speaking out for depression, addictions, and suicide. It is for those who feel that suicide is the only way. Of course, the idea is also for you also to donate to some kind of organization for the things, but really I don't think that's the true emphasis.

What I think is that it symbolizes... well, love. It shows off the fact you have love, and are willing to show it off. It shows to those that hurt that there are people out there that care, that love. It's an encouraging message, I guess. Having suffered from depression my self, complete with suicidal thoughts and the lot, it's needless to say I love this idea. I know that even if the 'troubled' person wouldn't admit it, it would genuinely help someone to see so many people care about it and publicize their opinions on it.

If someone comes up to you through the day and asks you what's on your arm, tell them. Tell them about suicide, and depression, and addictions, and all those horrible things. Then tell them about love, and tell them what love can do. And of course, encourage them to write love on their arms too. Spread the word of love, and if it manages to save but one person from going down such a lonely path as suicide, then all our efforts have been worth it. c:
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Korilaz

Re: Second Annual "To Write Love on Her Arms" Day!

Post by Korilaz »

gl....spreading it... im outta skool for the day soooooooo im not gonna be doin that...
yes... ive been gone a while.... yes its cuz of LK....
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I've already PM'd Ebly about posting on this thread, since it's almost two years old.
Anyways,

I learned about TWLOHA through friends at school last year. After looking through their website, http://www.twloha.com I will most definately be participating in this on November 12th. I have already participated in yesterday's wearing of the color purple.

The website is pretty awesome. The Vision section is very powerful. Rescue is possible, and no one should have to go through such pain alone.

This is a great cause. I (and half my school practically) will send a message of hope and write LOVE on our arms next month.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

I don't understand.
How can writing LOVE on your arms save someone from the horrendous void of depression, loneliness, and suicidal thoughts?
Shouldn't these people get professional help.
Last edited by MilesKingford on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

MilesKingford wrote:I don't understand.
How can writing LOVE on your arms save someone from the horrendous void of depression, loneliness, and suicidal thoughts.
If there was ever a time where you missed the point COMPLETELY, it was just now.

I'll be sure to do this Nov. 14th.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Dubiousity wrote:
How can writing LOVE on your arms save someone from the horrendous void of depression, loneliness, and suicidal thoughts.
If there was ever a time where you missed the point COMPLETELY, it was just now.

I'll be sure to do this Nov. 14th.
If you have no intention to answer my question then why quote me, and I find you mocking me distasteful.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

i shall do this!
but i need to make it pop, because its a fad at my school to sharpie on your arms. i gotta let em know im sending a real message.
ideas?
bwah bwah
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

How can writing LOVE on your arms save someone from the horrendous void of depression, loneliness, and suicidal thoughts?
It's intended as a public expression of compassion and support for those battling with their demons and as a way to minimize the stigma attached to mental illness. If you care about someone, you'll look beyond their condition and be there when they need you. You won't say "this is beyond me, they can only be helped by a psychiatrist" because you'll know that the individual needs more than a clinical confessor.

Let's not disparage one another, eh?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't really see it as a particularly meaningful gesture, but it's not like it hurts or anything.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Well I apologize, I shouldn't have acted that way, but I believed that concept was explained perfectly in the first post.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

@Miles- Dub wasn't mocking you. He wasn't. I think he took your statement the wrong way. It was just a misunderstanding; let's all be cool.

And to answer your question:
As someone who silently suffered for four months, I can explain.

People who are depressed feel like an outsider to the rest of the world. They feel like something is wrong with them, and if they go for help, they will be treated like they are a freak. They keep it bottled up inside them and are too afraid to speak out. Also remember that about half of those dealing with depression are teenagers. The time in our life that is the hardest; we try so hard to fit in and our parents just don't quite understand us. Someone can start feeling like, "What's the point of living if I'm going to feel like this for the rest of my life?" This is where suicide comes in.

The point of TWLOHA is to show that you don't have to go through depression alone. Everyone sometimes feels like it's just not worth it; feeling like that doesn't make you a freak. Someone who is silently suffering and sees LOVE on someone's arm, it encourages them to get help. Even if it is just talking to a friend, a counselor, or even giving a teen the courage to talk to a parent, that extra little bit can be the first step on the road to recovery.

SYK- You could buy one of TWLOHA's shirts or something, if you wanted to. They sell them at Hot Topic, I believe. Or, like my friend did: print out their vision statement and put it on the front of your school binder. Highlight the phrases like, "Your life is worth it. This is not the end of your story."

You're also a guy. I don't think guys write LOVE on their arms all the time, especially in high school. I don't think you'll have too much trouble if you want to stand out.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Beagle wrote:@Miles- Dub wasn't mocking you. He wasn't. I think he took your statement the wrong way. It was just a misunderstanding; let's all be cool.

And to answer your question:
As someone who silently suffered for four months, I can explain.

People who are depressed feel like an outsider to the rest of the world. They feel like something is wrong with them, and if they go for help, they will be treated like they are a freak. They keep it bottled up inside them and are too afraid to speak out. Also remember that about half of those dealing with depression are teenagers. The time in our life that is the hardest; we try so hard to fit in and our parents just don't quite understand us. Someone can start feeling like, "What's the point of living if I'm going to feel like this for the rest of my life?" This is where suicide comes in.

The point of TWLOHA is to show that you don't have to go through depression alone. Everyone sometimes feels like it's just not worth it; feeling like that doesn't make you a freak. Someone who is silently suffering and sees LOVE on someone's arm, it encourages them to get help. Even if it is just talking to a friend, a counselor, or even giving a teen the courage to talk to a parent, that extra little bit can be the first step on the road to recovery.

SYK- You could buy one of TWLOHA's shirts or something, if you wanted to. They sell them at Hot Topic, I believe. Or, like my friend did: print out their vision statement and put it on the front of your school binder. Highlight the phrases like, "Your life is worth it. This is not the end of your story."

You're also a guy. I don't think guys write LOVE on their arms all the time, especially in high school. I don't think you'll have too much trouble if you want to stand out.
I see. Now I understand, thank you for explaining.
@ Dub - Forget about it, you have apologised so lets just drop it now.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Beagle wrote:You're also a guy. I don't think guys write LOVE on their arms all the time, especially in high school. I don't think you'll have too much trouble if you want to stand out.
the sad part abou that is that your wrong.
*facedesk*
okay! love, real big, twice on both arms, and once on my forehead. yes! or no. writing it on my forehead is probably excessive. i dont want it to look like im just doing it to stand out. hmm...
bwah bwah
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

SomebodyYouKnow wrote:
Beagle wrote:You're also a guy. I don't think guys write LOVE on their arms all the time, especially in high school. I don't think you'll have too much trouble if you want to stand out.
*facedesk*
okay! love, real big, twice on both arms, and once on my forehead. yes! or no. writing it on my forehead is probably excessive. i dont want it to look like im just doing it to stand out. hmm...
Writing it on your face is a little overboard... I think on your arms is okay.

Ahh, sorry to Dub and Miles. My computer like, glitched, or something, and I didn't get notified of the five posts that were created while I was typing mine.
LucidDarkness

Post by LucidDarkness »

I always participate in this, for my own certain reasons... Though I tend to really be the only one who does it around here. :P
Leopold O'Malley - Yorkshire Feilds
Str 6 | Per 2 | End 6 | Cha 5 | Int 9 | Agl 7 | Luk 8

Louis "Lucid" O'Malley - VerdeGrove
Str 8 | Per 5 | End 7 | Cha 5 | Int 4 | Agl 8 | Luk 5
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Beagle wrote:
SomebodyYouKnow wrote:
*facedesk*
Writing it on your face is a little overboard... I think on your arms is okay.

Ahh, sorry to Dub and Miles. My computer like, glitched, or something, and I didn't get notified of the five posts that were created while I was typing mine.
yeah, i thought so. when i tend to do something, i overboard
____ ____
-=- u -=-
bwah bwah
Karl

Post by Karl »

The worst thing is that people who see someone in depression say that it's just temporary and they try to tell you that just have emotional problems. But I guess that people are not educated on such things, or they just try to stay away from problems of others.

But humans should open themselves on others. Each time when we're outside in a crowd, we pass those people who on the outside may act normally, but inside they are in a real emotional wreck. So giving them support helps them fight their inner demons and erase the fear that depression builds.
I'm a bookworm!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Depression can be temporary, but it stays with you long after.... *shudders*

A lot of people that have it are going through a lot of things in their life (what my problem was and the same problem that many people I know who suffer from it). And then there are others that have a perfectly happy life... or so we think. Inner turmoil and feeling like your own worst enemy is terrible. "The same person that laughs and smiles during the day may also be the same person that cries themselves to sleep every night."

Human beings need other people in their lives. It's the whole part of the Human Experience. No one really wants to just be alone for the rest of their life, and no one should ever have to be totally alone. I don't care how much of a hermit a person seems, inside and beneath that shell is a Real Breathing Living Human Being with thoughts and feelings. The hard part is getting them out of their shell. But if someone is amazing, they won't be easy.

I always do my best to take the time to get to know people. It takes a lot of effort to form a strong bond with someone, but sometimes the other person may need it a lot more than they'll ever let on.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

...this thread is a smidge depressing.
bwah bwah
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I've been depressed a lot lately too.
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Soo, do I write LOVE on my sniper rifle then?
Ebly wrote:I admit, the first I've heard of this was a few hours ago. But I think it's a beautiful idea, so here it is.

On the 14th, write LOVE on your arm. One arm, or both, it doesn't matter. As long as it's in big letters. Wear your heart on your sleeve, almost literally. Make sure everyone can see the love on your arm. This is for those that hurt, or have hurt. Those that have survived and those that didn't make it. Those who will need to survive. This is speaking out for depression, addictions, and suicide. It is for those who feel that suicide is the only way. Of course, the idea is also for you also to donate to some kind of organization for the things, but really I don't think that's the true emphasis.

What I think is that it symbolizes... well, love. It shows off the fact you have love, and are willing to show it off. It shows to those that hurt that there are people out there that care, that love. It's an encouraging message, I guess. Having suffered from depression my self, complete with suicidal thoughts and the lot, it's needless to say I love this idea. I know that even if the 'troubled' person wouldn't admit it, it would genuinely help someone to see so many people care about it and publicize their opinions on it.

If someone comes up to you through the day and asks you what's on your arm, tell them. Tell them about suicide, and depression, and addictions, and all those horrible things. Then tell them about love, and tell them what love can do. And of course, encourage them to write love on their arms too. Spread the word of love, and if it manages to save but one person from going down such a lonely path as suicide, then all our efforts have been worth it. c:
Everyone has a story. What's yours?~
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The problem is that while depression is an actual clinical condition, people will say they're depressed just when they're sad. Those people can just "get over it," whereas if one is actually depressed it's not that simple. Because people tend to cry wolf about depression, when people actually are depressed people will often tell them to "just get over it."
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

yes, but how does one know if they're really depressed?
Last edited by Psykeout on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bwah bwah
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:The problem is that while depression is an actual clinical condition, people will say they're depressed just when they're sad. Those people can just "get over it," whereas if one is actually depressed it's not that simple. Because people tend to cry wolf about depression, when people actually are depressed people will often tell them to "just get over it."
Well, I'm pretty sure sadness doesn't constantly linger for over a month...
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Dubiousity wrote:
Sleet wrote:The problem is that while depression is an actual clinical condition, people will say they're depressed just when they're sad. Those people can just "get over it," whereas if one is actually depressed it's not that simple. Because people tend to cry wolf about depression, when people actually are depressed people will often tell them to "just get over it."
Well, I'm pretty sure sadness doesn't constantly linger for over a month...
not usually
bwah bwah
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Guys.... please don't get this thread locked. T_T

If it ends up in the Dead Bed Thread, practically no one on here will hear about TWLOHA.

It's a good cause, let's not over-take the subject and fight about it. =(
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

ok
SomebodyYouKnow wrote:but how does one know if they're really depressed?
bwah bwah
Medli

Post by Medli »

Why must it be only the 14th?
I read this and just spontaneously wrote it on my left arm ^_^
Also I think it will stay there until the 14th.

Also, are the letters big enough?
Attachments
LOVE.jpg
LOVE.jpg (24.29 KiB) Viewed 16500 times
<+Vaddie> ... WHY AM I A GIRL ON FIRE WEARING 30 PAIRS OF PANTS ALL OF A SUDDEN
* +SickDynar is like the fountain of youth, except with drool instead of youth.
Aah, I LOVE quotes :3
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Medli wrote:Why must it be only the 14th?
I read this and just spontaneously wrote it on my left arm ^_^
Also I think it will stay there until the 14th.

Also, are the letters big enough?
It is the 12th this year, actually.
I'm writing LOVE so pretty much takes up my entire arm (YAY ink poisoning!!), but anything counts really. ^_^
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

ok, your ignoring my question. thats fine. but, if someone could pm me...
bwah bwah
The Game

Post by The Game »

My friend told me about this once!
I love how people can make others feel better with such a simple gesture. I'm definitely going to write LOVE on my arm!
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

ai am so doin thid El:3
Last edited by sonic id furreh!!! on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

...What?!
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

wut?... sleet r u ok :?
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

write love on your arm on the 12th
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If this weren't for a good cause, I would totally write "HATE" on my arm that day. But since it is, that would really give off the wrong message and being silly is not worth that.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I'll do this, too. I don't mind getting weird looks, I walk around in scrubs all day.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

scrubs are cool!
bwah bwah
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

As a Clinical Student with no car, I have no way to bring clothes to change into/out of, so I wear scrubs all day. I get weird looks because nobody is even IN that program at my school, since it got moved to another school in my ISD. So, I don't mind having to explain why "LOVE" will be written on my arm, I have to explain what Clinical is pretty much daily. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
SomebodyYouKnow wrote:scrubs are cool!
Thanks, I think so too. They're like socially acceptable pajamas.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

i kno, right!? :D
bwah bwah