HPU - Richardson Valley

You guys apparently do this thing a lot?

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Civilization

Re: HPU - Richardson Valley

Post by Civilization »

Alphabites watched the sign language and shook his head no, Not deaf, only mute. He figured he should add what he told Sixtoes, I'm not a pet and I do own myself. He held the board in one paw as he took his paperwork out of his collar again just in case the people wanted to see it too.
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Yukon shrugged at Rosal, "I don't know, everyone just started running so I followed. Sixtoes is late for a show or something, I guess."
Argent

Post by Argent »

"You need to learn sign language anyway, boy. If you want to work for me you will learn it."

He looked through the papers, shaking his head. "An animal that owns itself, what will they think of next," he mutters.

"Even if you don't work for me, you oughta learn it. There's a whole deaf ferret community, you know. My wife, god rest her soul, she had two white ferrets deaf as posts."
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

David knelt down close to Alpha. "You going to be OK if we head off, Alpha? You know the house address?"
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Alphabites listened to the person talk about him, used to being treated as such he didn't let it bother him. He looked at David, giving a small thumbs up and and nod before focusing back on the human. If you're offering a job, I'll do whatever you need me to. He stood tall and at attention when showing the board this time, ready to be told off.
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
Argent

Post by Argent »

"Hafta think about that, there's probably rules about hiring animals I need to know about. I gotta go though the routine with Cinnamon here and make sure we're on the same page. Now, Cinnamon, it says here that you were injured. How much does that limit you?"

"I get tired easily and gotta sleep more than I should but I do a pretty good half hour show with dad..."

"Dad?"

"Mister Walton. He raised me after they brought me in from the construction site and...

"OK, let's get one thing straight. Just in case this is a thing with you. I'm not 'Dad'. I'm Mister Devon or Sir, got that."

"Of course your not dad you're my boss... uh Mister Devon sir!"

"I'm your handler. I might be Alpha's boss if he can follow directions, but your boss is Mark. He's responsible for you... you know what that means?"

"Yes sir Mister Devon it..."

"It means if you mess up, he's the one who's going to make sure it doesn't happen again, and if you break something he's the one who has to fix it. And he's going to make sure you're not late tomorrow, OK?"

"But sir Mister Devon sir I don't break stuff hardly ever."

"See that you don't, I've been working with wild animals for thirty years. I know all your tricks."

Cinnamon just stood there, in something of a state of shock.

"What do you say?"

"Yes sir."

"Good, now what we're going to do is..."

Tom proceeded to give the two animals instructions for the next twenty minutes, by which time a scattering of kids and the occasional adult human had gathered on the bleachers.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:David knelt down close to Alpha. "You going to be OK if we head off, Alpha? You know the house address?"
"Best of luck you two" Selene said , seeing that Alphabite and Sixtoes were starting their work day .
"Perhaps it's time we leave those two for now" she suggested to the others
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Scruff sat up slightly. "Ngg, too many cars and humans," he said.
"And I'm next to a Wolf."
"Shut up, inner me!"
◊oh ?◊ Muiva raised her eyebrow for a little bit ◊you often talking to yourself like that little one ?◊
Deske

Post by Deske »

Yukon nodded, "I suppose. I liked the zoo, many thing I haven't seen before live here. It was pretty interesting."
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Shall we head on into town, Selene?" David asked.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Used t' be I needed someone to talk to," Scruff said miserably, "but now I can't always stop me talking."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Argent

Post by Argent »

Off the sides of the stage were a pair of cages, sizeable, well appointed, with furniture and books and wall outlets for phone chargers... but still... cages.

On one side a tall skinny rabbit and what looked like a large chubby mouse almost half its height were occupied by their phones. The other side had a handful of carnivores, a fennec and a big splotchily-striped cat playing checkers and a wolf-like beast apparently sleeping on a mattress. And, after Tom directed them there, a marten and a ferret.

"Hi guys a cage really why do they..."

"Hush. No talking backstage."

Cinnamon shut up.

"And what do we say?"

"But you said no talking... um... sir!"

"One, two, three, four, five... OK. Got it. Just sit there until I come get you." And Tom stalked across to the other side, fiddling with the lock on the herbivore's cage, checking his watch.

"You can talk quietly, just don't let the rubes hear you," whispered the feline, turning to Alphabites, "I know Sixtoes, the scourge of snakes, but what's your name?"
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Deske wrote:Yukon nodded, "I suppose. I liked the zoo, many thing I haven't seen before live here. It was pretty interesting."
"yes I agree , this is the first time I actually visit one to be honest."
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"Shall we head on into town, Selene?" David asked.
"oh yes , of course . We should , now that Sixtoes and Alpha is working anyway ." Selene nodded "Would you like to join us ?" she asked Yukon and Rosal
Welsh Halfwit wrote: "Used t' be I needed someone to talk to," Scruff said miserably, "but now I can't always stop me talking."
◊I see◊ Muiva said , putting her arm over Scruff's shoulders ◊not liking being alone huh ?◊
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Alphabites listened to the plan the person gave to them remembering every detail to the best of his ability. After he finished and let them backstage he looked around, smiling at the no talking rule, one thing he could do pretty well. He looked at the feline after being addressed, Alphabites, and you are? He flipped the board around so the feline could see it.
Argent

Post by Argent »

"My name's 'Itchel' spelled I-X-C-H-E-L. I'm on clean-up after the rat. The capybara. What's the deal with the white-board?"
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Alphabites erased his board and adjusted his leash, Can't talk, Mute. While he was showing Ixchel the board he looked at Sixtoes and indicated his leash, wondering if he needed it or not.
Argent

Post by Argent »

"Oh, you poor thing! So..."

"He can hear OK it's just he can't talk it's..."

"Yes, yes, I got that. Shhh... you're too loud. Use your inside voice."

Cinnamon was clearly getting tired of not getting to finish a sentence. He sat down hard on the mattress, arms wrapped around his knees. Ixchel turned back to Alphabites:

"I was going to ask, what are you doing here? Are you joining the troupe?"
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Alphabites looked at Sixtoes walk away, he felt a little bad for the marten. I'm looking for a job. He looked inquisitively at Ixchel while showing the feline the board.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

David headed from the zoo towards the town center. "Beds first," he explained to Selene, "Charitable shops might be able to deliver them today."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scruff yawned and scooched a teeny bit closer to the Wolf. "So what d'you reckon's changed?"
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Argent

Post by Argent »

"Looking for a job? A job? Really?"
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Welsh Halfwit wrote:David headed from the zoo towards the town center. "Beds first," he explained to Selene, "Charitable shops might be able to deliver them today."
"Yes that sounds fine" Selene agreed "we should probably hurry as well I think"
Welsh Halfwit wrote: Scruff yawned and scooched a teeny bit closer to the Wolf. "So what d'you reckon's changed?"
◊you mean why you can't stop talking to yourself ?◊ the wolf asked , letting Scruff feel her warm , soft fur .
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Argent wrote:"Looking for a job? A job? Really?"
Alphabites just looked at the feline, Yes? He wrote the question mark extra big to emphasize the concern about the way the feline said that. He looked over at Sixtoes and the others too.
Argent

Post by Argent »

"Not an owner, a job, like a human?"

Cinnamon was just sitting there in a huff, deliberately biting his lip.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"I mean with your friend," Scruff said lightly. "You say she's changed? How can you tell? Never had a friend long enough to spot changes."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ah, here's one," David said, pushing open a double door and stepping into a carpeted showroom with half lit lights and a slight smell in the air.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Alphabites continued to hold the board there, he looked at Sixtoes again, wondering what he could add to make it make sense. THen it hit him what he didn't tell the feline, I don't need an owner, I own myself.
Argent

Post by Argent »

"You mean you're a feral? Is this some kind of trick? Have you heard the like, DIgger?"

This last comment was directed at the fennec, who replied, "He is wearing a collar, miz Ixchel. And ferrets are domestique, they do not do well in the wild."

"So. Animals can own themselves? How does that work? You buy yourself from your owner?"
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Rosal rubbed his shoulder slightly, turning towards Yukon, "So... Now what?"
Deske

Post by Deske »

Yukon shrugged in return, "I don't know. I had intended to just follow them around since I didn't have anything planned for today."
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Alphabites listened to the feline go on, he certainly was going to have to get used to explaining this over and over again to everyone. He erased his board and hopefully fit everything that he had to say on it,I wouldn't know about buying yourself, it could be possible. But I was purchased for work, by work, to work, after a while I was no longer useful, so they fired me and gave ownership of me to me. He looked at the board, it was a tight fit but it fit. He showed both the feline and the fennec the board.
Argent

Post by Argent »

"I ... I guess that was nice of them. Better than dumping you in a national park somewhere."

"They could..."

"Shhh... inside voice."

"They could get in big trouble for that 'specially if he's chipped dad hasta testify in a couple of cases a year 'cos someone brings a chipped animal in to the clinic. You're not allowed to just dump animals like that it makes extra work for the rangers."

"Um. Anyhow, moving on, what do you do? What's your schtick?"
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Welsh Halfwit wrote:"I mean with your friend," Scruff said lightly. "You say she's changed? How can you tell? Never had a friend long enough to spot changes."
◊It's a long story little one◊ Muiva answered , getting up ◊you never had a close friend before ?◊
Welsh Halfwit wrote: "Ah, here's one," David said, pushing open a double door and stepping into a carpeted showroom with half lit lights and a slight smell in the air.
"oh there're a lot of things in here" Selene mustered , captivated by the smell and sight all around her .
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Alphabites looked at Ixchel, I need a schtick? He showed the feline the board and tilted his head to the side.
Argent

Post by Argent »

"You said you wanted a gig, right, what do you do?"

"He... sorry Mister Devon's gonna wing it today 'cos I shoulda given him more notice he said. I think..."

Whatever Cinnamon thought was going to have to wait, because Tom chose that moment to cut him off.

"Quiet back there, It's time to start."

Tom Devon started off with a patter about animals being important to the ecology and how they needed to be treated with respect (whereupon Cinnamon snorted and rolled his eyes), and sent Mark (who was playing sidekick, apparently) offstage to get the jackrabbit out of the herbivore cage.

"This is Buck, he's an antelope jackrabbit, the largest species of rabbit. Antelope jackrabbits are found in Arizona, but Buck is from northern Mexico. He speaks English, though... he was raised by a pair of retired Americans living in Sonora. Their grandson brought him back here and had to turn him over to the zoo because he was living in an apartment... come on, Buck, turn around... now show us what you can do."

The rabbit took a couple of turns around the stage, jumping over a box, then he ran off-stage and down the path.

"Don't you worry, he's not escaping. There isn't enough room on this stage to show how fast he can run, so he's going to run all the way around the main concourse. I know some of you have walked it, so you know how long it is, and you'll be amazed how quickly he gets back."

"Tom actually makes him run all the way around the track too. Can you believe that?"
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Alphabites would have laughed if he could at Tom's statement, but he could only listen and watch. He then watched the antelope jackrabbit run off, he looked at Ixchel, Really? Well that is something. He thought of something else, What does he make you do? He showed the others the board, interested to hear their answers.
Argent

Post by Argent »

"I mostly stand around looking good. Bit of acrobatics - I can clear a two meter hurdle from a standing start. Almost two meters, anyway, and I usually make it. Hang on, here he comes."

Mark opened the cage and called for "Cinnamon and Alphabet". The two mustelids were led out, and while Tom introduced them Mark hauled a heavy rope hanging from the ceiling to the center of the stage.

"Here we have two members of the mustelid family... big weasels, basically. The big brown fellow is Cinnamon, he's a pine marten, one of the larger mustelids. The smaller guy with the mask is a ferret ... which is actually a domesticated animal like a cat or a dog, just a little less common. They're carnivores, with long sharp teeth... open up you two... and long muscular bodies."

He tugged Cinnamon toward the rope. The marten suddenly grinned and said "How high do you want me to go Mister Devon sir!"

"You show me how high you can get!" And, whispered, "Just don't hurt yourself. Bad for my insurance."

As Tom walked to the front of the stage with Alphabites, Cinnamon swarmed up to the top of the rope behind him then started swinging back and forth, holding on only with his toe-claws.

"You set down here, Alphabites. Now any members of the audience who want to come down and have a look at him, you come on down. Just don't touch... he's a domesticated animal but this is his first day on the job and he might be a bit startly."

The audience, however, was looking up at Cinnamon. Tom turned around and stared. Cinamon had jumped a good six feet from the top of the rope to the rafters and was now sitting there feet dangling over twenty feet of empty space.

Tom turned to Alphabites, and whispered. "What in tarnation is your buddy doing?"
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Alphabites smiled as he went out with Sixtoes, he did as he was told and tried to look as friendly as possible to the audience. Though when Tom had asked him that question, he looked up at Sixtoes, he would have laughed again, but still couldn't, though he did find what Sixtoes was doing pretty hilariously awesome. He's doing what you told him to do and, under that he wrote two reasons, -showing off and under that, -having fun with it, and just for his own kicks at the bottom of it he wrote, Probably both. And after finishing writing it all down he showed the board to Tom.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Not really," Scruff admitted, "even family never really bothered with me," he confessed. "Except Mom and Mom's don't count as best friends. I don't think it's allowed."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David started testing some beds by sitting on them. He was looking for a queen size, a king side and a child's single for Alpha. And he was looking for the glint in the human's eye when he said that. Yup, there it was...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Argent

Post by Argent »

Turning to the audience, Tom declared "Pi... uh... as you can see pine martens are extremely acrobatic. They are arboreal hunters and have to be able to keep up with squirrels and birds! Even though Cinnamon was injured when he was a kitten, he's capable of the most amazing tricks."

He walked over and grabbed the rope, angling it towards the errant weasel.

"Cinnamon will... Cinnamon will now show how quickly he can climb down, as you can see his feet turn almost... uh..."

The agile animal had by this time leaped to catch the middle of the rope, pulling it out of Tom's hand, and swung over to land on one the cages. As it happened it was the cage containing the caypbara that he landed on. The giant rodent cowered in the corner as Cinnamon jumped to the floor and trotted back to the center of the stage.

"You were supposed to climb down, not..."

"But you said quickly and that was the quickest..."

The audience burst out in laughter, and Tom looked pleadingly at Alphabites, mouthing "do something".
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Alphabites smiled, wondering how Sixtoes even got this kind of job with that kind of attitude and Tom's kind of attitude. He erased his board and quickly wrote down a few things in big letters. He casually walked over to Sixtoes, gestured for him to follow, and walked back to the front of the audience, still hoping Sixtoes would follow. He looked at his board and showed it to the audience, Is there anything else you would like to know about Pine Martens? He smiled at Sixtoes and Tom, it was something.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Cinnamon walked back towards the front of the stage, the last few dozen feet guided by a meaty hand gripping the loose fur at the back of his neck.

"As I was saying before I got distracted, Alphabites here is a domestic animal, and clearly well educated. Cinnamon is, as you can see, a wild animal and not always predictable. That's why we only let visitors interact with animals like Alphabites who can be trusted to behave."

"But Mister Tom sir I'm not wild I haven't bitten anyone in three years of doing shows and some of those human children are positively feral!"

"That's all very well, but we do things differently here at the Zoo. Right now... you stand there and look indigenous," Tom whispered.

"Yes sir but please don't tell them I'm wild there are only one hundred and thirty seven officially domesticated martens in the US and I'm one of them!"

"Then behave better," and raising his voice he addressed the audience. "Cinnamon reminds me that he is officially hand raised and domesticated. Perhaps in a week or so he can be allowed to interact with visitors. What do you good people think, should I give him a chance?"

The response from the audience was mixed. The younger members were all in favor, though.

"Let's talk about wild animals now. Neither of these animals can be released into the wild. Ferrets are domesticated, and don't have the instincts for a life in the wild any more. Cinnamon was injured when he was just a kit, and he says he gets tired easily, though you can't prove it by his demonstration today. He also lost some fingers and toes, show the audience your hand, Cinnamon!"

Cimmamon waved to the audience with his truncated paw.

"Alphabites has also suffered misfortune, and can't talk. That's why he's carrying that white-board. I'm going to see if I can teach him sign language, if he stays with us. Do you think that's a good idea?"

The audience was a lot more positive about this, and he had Mark put a chair below the stage for Alphabites to sit in and interact after the show, but until then he sent them back to the cage and replaced them with the ocelot.

"Now this is Ixchel. She's definitely a wild animal. She's from Mexico, like Buck... speaking of Buck, here he comes now! Not quite a record, but a decent time."

Tom and Mark ostentatiously kept the two animals apart while Mark led Buck into his cage and Tom held Ixchel's leash. The ocelot made faces behind his back.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Alphabites smiled as he was lead off stage, he erased his board wondering how Sixtoes even got this sort of job still. So is that how a normal show goes for you? He showed Sixtoes the board while watching Ixchel on stage now.
Argent

Post by Argent »

"Normally my handler isn't so stuck up I mean I wasn't even that high and the kids always love it when I'm somewhere I'm not supposed to be! It's part of my stick!"

"That's schtick, Monsieur Sixtoes. With a shhhh. Like schmuck, which is what... one must admit... our Monsieur Devon is a bit of."

"Oh I bet you don't call him that to his face whatever it means it doesn't sound polite at all! Anyway Da... Mister Walton is never so serious!"

Meanwhile Ixchel does quite a lot of jumping and bouncing.