My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

IceKitsune

Re: My Little Pony

Post by IceKitsune »

KJOokami wrote:I'd imagine it would be canon. I haven't read through the article yet, but it seems like a good opportunity to sort of fill in the gaps that the show might not touch (as each do not follow one after the other, there's a lot of empty space between episodes). A bit of an "in-between" to read on the side, as a compliment to the show.

As long as they keep consistent with happenings in the show, I'll be happy. I would rather they not make a comic at all than to make a comic that contradicts the show or adds elements to it that aren't also consistent with the show's universe.
Well when the show ends and if the comics are still going I hope they start doing stuff with the comic they couldn't do in the show (within reason of course) that's the one good thing with comics it can do a lot of things TV shows can't. I just don't want them pulling what the Archie Sonic comics did for those like 100ish comics after 55-60. (though it has gotten much much better lately) I hope the writers can strike a good balance like the Sonic comics are now.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

As long as it stays consistent with the show's style and tone, I'll be happy.

Also, does anyone else think Pipsqueak looks kinda awesome there?
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

don't worry, stuff can always get weirder

"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:As long as it stays consistent with the show's style and tone, I'll be happy.

Yeah he does.

One good thing about the comics in this case unlike Sonic SATAM (that started The Archie Sonic comics) is they are going to have way more then enough characters to mess around with when they need them (from fan favorite background ponies) that they shouldn't need to create many characters just for the comics them selves which should help stop a lot of the problems that plague comics like this.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Penwrite wrote:As long as it stays consistent with the show's style and tone, I'll be happy.

Its from IDW. They usually do good work with there comics. They have a lot of talented artists and writers in their employ. So I am optimistic. You should read IDW's "Godzilla" comics. They did a really good job with those!

Since they are from the same publisher, I wonder if they will cross over MLP with "30 Days of Night"?

Worse case scenario, they get the art style down but skimp on the writing like "The Simpsons" comics.

Also, Derpy always saves the day.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

has linkara reviewed any IDW comics?
cause all my comic knowledge comes from him
i don't really have any idea of how good that company is
Radio Blue Heart

mariomarc wrote:has linkara reviewed any IDW comics?
cause all my comic knowledge comes from him
i don't really have any idea of how good that company is

Nowadays they mostly focus on licensed titles like "Transformers", "TMNT", and "Doctor Who" just to name a few. Their flagship title is "30 Days of Night". They started out with a lot of horror titles like "Iron Siege" and "War of the Undead", but have since branched out into other genres. They also gave new life to classic comic series like "Next Men" and "Tank Girl". IDW has also published graphic novel versions of classic novels.

As I said they tend to assign very talented folks to their titles. I am cautiously optimistic about it.
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

It could be the reason they changed Time Turner back to Doctor Hooves and can make him look like the doctor on official stuff is because they got picked up by IDW; who as said above holds the rights to write and publish the Doctor Who comics. Do I smell crossover? (:P doubt it) And IDW is pretty good from what little I have read of them they mostly do incensed comics.

There appears to be a WIP page of the comic on 4chan's Pony board right now. Page is a bit big for the forum.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Kyderra wrote:don't worry, stuff can always get weirder

...gosh darn it, Kyderra...
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cSJVDva46A
it's kind of sad how many bronies this accurately describes
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

From that comic page I think we can suspect something close to John Byrne's run on Sensational She-Hulk which is good because I loved that comic. I just hope they don't go over board with it I mean we don't need the ponies (except maybe Pinkie Pie) crossing over the panel borders to get to places all the time. So I suspect Pinkie is going to be breaking the 4th wall a lot, and by "a lot" I mean basically all the time.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

mariomarc wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cSJVDva46A
Thank you for this video. :lol:
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
mariomarc wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cSJVDva46A
Thank you for this video. :lol:
I considered posting that a page or two back, it's just really great.

It's really fun from the inside, but this fandom has really really bad PR. Partially from people outside of it, but mostly because the people inside of it that others first have contact with act pretty much like that.
Image Image
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

just found this great official game you guys should try
http://www.hubworld.com/hubworld/specials/mlp8bit/
the password is HUBMLP8BIT
the levels are the same, but the ponies play differently, so it has some variety
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I posted that yesterday. I'm stuck on Discord with Twilight.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

oh oops
i'm beat discord with twilight

wow
fluttershy has the best attack
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I posted that yesterday. I'm stuck on Discord with Twilight.
Discord can only be hurt when he is jumping or landing (its fake difficulty) Just when hes jumping shoot like crazy where you think hes going to land you should catch him on the way down and back up. Don't shoot when he is on the ground it just puts him in block and wastes time.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

well just beat it
not bad

now how about a full game on the ds or something please?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

yeah, I basically kamikaze'd him and won. Now I'm against him with RD. she makes most things easier.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

seriously
i really want to see a full game in this style but with more variety to the gameplay between the ponies
i'd buy it
exranio

Post by exranio »

I' mostly just focused on Ponykart, Fighting is Magic, Investigations, and that Harvest Moon based one.
Nothing else particularly matters to me.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i never even heard of pony kart
exranio

Post by exranio »

You have no idea how intense the glare you've just received is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGUp12z9BRA
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

wow
that looks amazing

HOW DO THE FANS CONTINUE TO PROVIDE BETTER PRODUCTS TO US THAN HASBRO
AND SOME FOR FREE
exranio

Post by exranio »

Becuase Hasbro isn't making a cart racer?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

As much as I love the fan games like Fighting is Magic and Pony Kart I'm really, really surprised that Hasbro hasn't shut them down yet with C&D letters. As much as I don't want it to happen I'm kind of waiting for it.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i'm guessing that because they are non-profit, hasbro doesn't care
i think the general thing with companies is they are fine with people using their properties, as long as no money is being made from it
exranio

Post by exranio »

It's the single purest form of free advertising.

Also this is from EVO's stream You knwo you want to watch horses beat each other up
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

mariomarc wrote:i'm guessing that because they are non-profit, hasbro doesn't care
i think the general thing with companies is they are fine with people using their properties, as long as no money is being made from it
I was thinking its more along the lines of Hasbro has no interest at all in expanding the property in that way so its not a concern to them. Its also possible that both Mane 6 and whoever is making Pony Kart worked something out with Hasbro and they are just keeping it quiet; It really wouldn't surprise me if this was true about Fighting is Magic at least.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

PonyKart and Fighting is Magic are going to be so amazing when they get finished and released.

ANYWAY! Hey gang, I posted the first chapter of my new story on DA. I've done fusion fics for Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk, now here comes the Mighty Thor!

http://solaris90.deviantart.com/art/The ... -314423217
exranio

Post by exranio »

My editors said the CMC are out of character. So I'm taking a break on Gifted, that and Rarity could possibly be out of character too.

So in the meantime I'll either get back to my Fetch Quest for My Drink or write a bloody mess Mafia story.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

IceKitsune wrote:As much as I love the fan games like Fighting is Magic and Pony Kart I'm really, really surprised that Hasbro hasn't shut them down yet with C&D letters. As much as I don't want it to happen I'm kind of waiting for it.
Don't they have a pretty laissez faire approach to fan works? They pretty much turn a blind eye to YouTube uploads of episodes, so I think they'd be fine with fan-works. Stuff like that is probably good for them, because when there's buzz about something made by fans it means that ponies have peoples attention and those people are more likely to buy things. It is a merchandise driven brand, after all, so who cares if your characters get put in some free video games if that means more people watch your show and buy toys and tee shirts.
Image Image
holmebrian

Post by holmebrian »

all i gotta say is that strip is how ive always thought of derpy pony i hate the fact that they always make her break stuff.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

IceKitsune wrote:
mariomarc wrote:i'm guessing that because they are non-profit, hasbro doesn't care
I was thinking its more along the lines of Hasbro has no interest at all in expanding the property in that way so its not a concern to them. Its also possible that both Mane 6 and whoever is making Pony Kart worked something out with Hasbro and they are just keeping it quiet; It really wouldn't surprise me if this was true about Fighting is Magic at least.
I'm sure Hasbro would like to do video games, but games have a long development cycle and by the time it finally releases, MLP could have cooled off a fair bit. Also as long as the people behind Pony Kart and Fighting is Magic don't ask for money, they likely won't get hit with C&D letters.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I haven't actually been keeping up with PonyKart before now, but I'll admit it does look like it could be a promising title a little ways down the line.

I have been following a few other big projects though: Fighting is Magic, My Little Investigations, and Welcome to Equestria being the main ones.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

My little dashie the movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQCsh_Ryu0c
If this was already posted, I apologize.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I need help beating Discord with Applejack. :cry:
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

angelusbr wrote:My little dashie the movie
Oh.
My.
God.

Please tell me that this is something that is seriously being made. I would pay money for it if it was. And that's saying something coming from me.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Radio Blue Heart

JeffCvt wrote:
angelusbr wrote:My little dashie the movie
Oh.
My.
God.

Please tell me that this is something that is seriously being made. I would pay money for it if it was. And that's saying something coming from me.

If it is not real then it is the meanest prank ever. I hope it is real also.
Penwrite wrote:I need help beating Discord with Applejack. :cry:
In a one on one fight, Applejack would have a very hard time beating Discord. She has the advantage of her innate honesty and integrity, and the element they represent. As long as she does not fall victim to his manipulations.

Think of the final fight from "Enter the Dragon", when Bruce Lee finally confronts Han one-on-one in Han's hall of mirrors.

"Now, you must remember: the enemy has only images and illusions behind which he hides his true motives. Destroy the image and you will break the enemy."

Ultimately, he had to use illusions and manipulation against the Elements of Harmony. He can never truly destroy them, so he cannot use his magic to attack Applejack, or any of the other elements for that matter, directly. SO them she can just beat the living crap out of him with her hooves!

Was that helpful?
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Um...well, that was all very well-put and carefully thought out...but...I meant beating him in that 8-bit MLP game.

:oops: