Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

GameCobra

Re: Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Post by GameCobra »

for now, anyway. But don't worry about it ~ i'll remember it easier as the story and game gets made. :3

EDIT: Almost finished the enemies. Just need to make the angry fans and then Blue, then start making the floors.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

SuperStar wrote:I'm pretty much satisfied with the current tracks, but I still wanna give this new idea a try.
By the by, didn't we bring on a second music-guy to help you?
Yep, that was me. Got about as much done as you would expect me to :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Alright, looks like i got everything done for the monsters. now to make the floors.

If anyone has any other monster pics to add to this level, feel free to add them by the end of the month. :3

The goal of these next floors is to test and see how the party handles mice mobs and Fire Raccoons. Fire Raccoons will be the only monsters so far that can breathe AOE attacks on the party. mice mobs will just be annoying and fast, but go down super-easy. Exception will be Jenny's mice, who will have mice with much higher HP than normal, but fight like regular mice.

Fido is expected to make mice battles easy once he's unlocked. Fox is also expected to level up quite high, but will only have a noticable HP lead compared to the others and have decent moves. Bino is expected to have alot of HP and ways to provoke people to attack him.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Fire raccoons.

:|

...you sure we're not overdoing it on all of the raccoons?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

D-Rock wrote:Fire raccoons.

:|

...you sure we're not overdoing it on all of the raccoons?
This will be the last of them for now. I only have about 2 more raccoons after that:

The Electric Raccoon i plan on introducing on the 40th floor
The Armored Raccoon on the 50th.

The Garbage Raccoon will be everywhere, but hidden. I plan on making him stronger and his attacks much more random later, but for now he's going to be kept the way he is.

I had plans for the Shadow and Super Raccoon, but feel like now the Garbage Raccoon covers them just fine, but i'll hold onto the ideas just incase.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I knew I forgot something. I was going to suggest against the shadow raccoons but I kept losing track of that piece of info.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Shouldn't the Shadow Racoons be saved for Barghest's pocket dimension thingy?
ImageImageImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Best thing i can say is wait til we get that far first. i got them on the back burner now.

Almost done with the next level. I need to do some test running, but i'm glad i learned something: I found a way to summon mice into battle. You can script battles to summon monsters. There's no move that does it. Catch is, you can only have 8 characters at max to fight. Going to try to find a boss this would work with later on, but for now i got Jenny done.
Last edited by GameCobra on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Here's an idea for Barghests' location; I would rather not call them "Shadows" in order to preserve a sense of "uniqueness" with the character Shadows.

We could call them Shades, Wraiths, Familiars, Spectres, things like this. Also, I'd advise that they don't follow the same palette that the Shadows use.
FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

What about Forêt Diables, "Forest Devils".
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

...as much as I like that, I would imagine that forest animals wouldn't be the only things inhabiting Barghests' lair.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Whew. finally done testing the map. I was only unable to test Fido or Bino, but i was able to test it with both the A Team (Peanut, Grape, Max and Tarot) and the B Team (Fox, Sabrina, King and Bailey).

My fears of Fox are quenched quite well. I thought he would seem overpowered, but despite all of his attacks and fast leveling, he's still squishy, but more like Max squishy. However, he's great in any fighting situation, just the way i hoped he would - which is his best advantage.

Sabrina's greatest weakness is her HP and Defense, but she levels up fast, has high magic damage, is the fastest caster, and has nothing but aggressive spells. she can blow through most fights easily.

King i had to tweak for a bit. I really like the way his design is - Dark magic makes him a healer with bad benefits, but help save his extremely low mana; while the earth spells will dish out his real potential, they will blow his mana really fast. in short - King will be eating your wallet for pet food, but stick with him and he's rivaled up there with Tarot in terms of raw potential. I'm going to try to get him more spells later down the road.

Bailey is very simple - She's all brute force and can take a hit easily. While she ain't the fastest, you can activate her "Charge" ability, which gives her the first attack, or save her TP for the heavy hitting moves.

That being said, the hardest part of the demo was the new bosses. there are two bosses in this demo ~ Blue, the Raccoon, and Jenny. Blue was a nightmare to deal with and had to nerf and buff him quite a bit to get a good balance out of him. Jenny I actually had to buff by giving her a side-kick. check out the fights, i'm sure you guys will love them :3

Uploading the game as i speak.

EDIT: And now she's completed!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxfyY ... VJPQTE0OFk

I played with Bino and Fido while waiting. They are already great to play with, though I have to get them their weapons next time. Bino is nearly impossible to hurt and Fido is able to knockdown groups of monsters with ease. It'll take awhile though for Bino to keep the attention on him, unlike Peanut, but he's got a really good attack move for now.

EDIT2: Found out that Buffy, one of the monsters that you fight, has no EXP and GP. forgot to add it. Just wanted to know i'm aware of it. Thanks :3
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Hey guys, could someone give me the latest version of the game again? I was gonna get on working on the maps but i remembered that I switched computers ^^
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It should be this.

Or it's the original version of the beta demo.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

If that's not it, i should have a copy of the original somewhere. i'll get it tonight.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Yeah, the latest version had up to the first part of the mall I believe. This one only goes up to Chapter 1
ImageImageImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Last i remember, the mall was in progress.

i'm going to be off soon, i'll look into it then.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

...I don't recall any version having the mall chapter. Most that I recall is the Halloween demo had the intro to the second forest chapter within the project files and inaccessible in normal play.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

It's okay, Super has the latest development version. That's the one with stuff from chapters 2 and 3. The ones you have are for enemy and stat scripting Cobra. :)
ImageImageImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sweet!

Reviewing what to do for the next 10 floors. Looks like it'll be Temple level 2, so upgraded monsters from the temple. Might start throwing in Dolphins.

The next 10 floors will have a boss every 2 levels, so this will be a very boss orientated floor.

Also plan on introducing the D weapons.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Alright, played through the rest of the tower. Still bringing this up, King doesn't have a weapon, and later on, neither do Fido or Bino. I'm going to have to manually add them in the project files. Took on the second half of the tower with Peanut, Tarot, Bailey, and Sabrina. Blue was an interesting battle. I was really worried at first, but I started really dishing out the pain and he quickly left. Jenny was a little frustrating but ultimately fell due to having poisoned all of the mice, and hitting them with Blizzard, Blink Bomb, and all of the Bombs I managed to find. Also, how you set up the mall areas reminded me so much of Shin Megami Tensei. From what I've seen, there are a lot of urban environments, and the maze sort of looked like the mall at the beginning of the game. Also took a look at the game files again, lots of items you never told me about.

Kitsune's collar, Bahamut's collar, the aforementioned Bomb.

These would have been nice to know about.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The bomb is new, but was talked about for sometime now regarding the mice. I also don't know how we missed Kitsune and Bahamut. The bombs i finally got the chance to test them. I'm not sure how many i'll add, but the number so far is 3. Regular Bomb, Super bomb, Mega Bomb and Mighty Bomb. (100, 300, 500 and 1000 Fire damage respectively)

The next patch in November is a major boss and item update. It might take awhile, though since i have to track down every weapon and item we made so far. Also, when this project is done, i wanna try merging all the maps, monsters, items and abilities into the main game to keep everything tidy :)

On another note, i got myself a new 32 GB flash drive. i'm going to be putting all the game data we make on it so it's much easier to track.

EDIT: You know what's awesome about a deviantart page? It's more organized. *gets all the weapons and collars D-Rock drew* :3
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Okay, thing about my DA page, it doesn't have all of my designs. Some were only posted here due to technical reasons at the time. Others were character concepts that I didn't post there due to them being mere recolors.

There don't recall any mention of Kitsune and Bahamut collars prior to this. Are you sure you didn't put them in the list AFTER you sent what I had this way? I do have a neat idea for Kitsune's collar, I'll get to it whenever. As for Bahamut, the collar that has his gavel on it? I was thinking that it would be representative of him.

Also, I had a thought. I could make more character concepts to act as NPCs to fluff out a lot of the locations. Just for the more unique ones. I already thought of some to be around in Tybalts chapter. It would also help in hiding Baskerville's true identity. Thoughts?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm still not entirely sure how we missed it. i recall putting those in the game before then.

The Kitsune collar was a troll collar: you get %1 to everything - poison, silence, reflect, bonus EXP, bonus gold, and the onlyi good stat you'd have is max luck.

Bahamut's collar made you virtually unkillable. and we could as you say move the collar as Bahamut's.
We could always use more NPCs... still waiting on Cody. x3
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

You mean Cory, right? I thought that was a joke of yours since we're currently using a human stand-in for collar sales.

I seriously don't recall any of those collars, but as I said, I'll get on those whenever I end up feeling like it.

I'll give a bit of a background to NPCs, just so that we can flesh them enough for them to feel like a part of the universe.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Cory, Yes. Can't see why I would joke about him. He seems perfect for merchandising o_o
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

...huh. See, you kept calling him "Cody" instead of "Cory" even in the demo. I thought you were making a joke that it's obviously not him, but still fulfills the same role.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

... i'm mixing him up with my relative. x3

Annnyway. Cory the skunk is who he's suppose to be.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Also, for some reason Fox's Double-Ender isn't usable in battle.

I'm working on concepts, so thoughts on a random idea. We've had purple cats in canon, we have a blue raccoon, would you guys be opposed to a blue cat?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Although neat, wouldn't that make Jasper sorta an outside character? =P

Noted about Fox's Double Ender. It's designed to have a weapon equipped for it to work, but for some reason won't consider the Bo Staff a weapon for some reason. I'm going to remove weapon restrictions on all special moves so that doesn't happen in the future. just remove the weapon restriction for the move and you can use it.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I don't get what you mean about Jasper, but forget it, I found a different color that looks better. Here are two for the chapter involving Tybalt. Introducing-
Salé.png
Salé.png (2.72 KiB) Viewed 12877 times
Salé
Brother of Sucré. Good guy, tends to see the best in others, but at the same time down-to-earth enough to realize when something isn’t right. An acquaintance of Tybalt.

And-
Sucré.png
Sucré.png (2.93 KiB) Viewed 12877 times
Sucré
Sister of Salé. Seems nice, but tends to get caustic with others if she feels slighted. Salé is usually the one to bring her back to her senses. Still has her standards, as she can’t stand Tybalt, or anyone like him. She's the one I wanted a bright blue, but changed the hue, here we are.

Very strange idea on how I came up with these two. Went to a mall the other day, and a new kiosk is being built that will be selling waffles and crepes, with a different menu for each, sweet with fruits and savory with meats, though they were listed in French. I thought, "those could be decent names, like in OFF," and then I thought of cats, and these formed in my mind. Maybe they could act as guides around the chapter. I wanted to make them "opposites" of the typical implications of their names, Sucre (sweet, sugary) being the slightly antagonistic one, Salé (savory, salty) being the nice guy. I'll try to come up with at least one character per chapter.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

What i mean is that we would have two blue cats, but Jasper wouldn't be in use. Poor guy would just be left out. x3

Not that i'm arguing, but maybe we should do something about Jasper.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

...I should check, but I think Jasper has only had one panel of dialogue in the comic's run. I believe we already have a sprite for him, we just need to place him in various locations, like maybe at the mall.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Three appearances and one line of dialogue to be precise. ;)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

And new NPC.
Benjamin.png
Benjamin.png (5.76 KiB) Viewed 12820 times
Here we have Benjamin. I was thinking he could be involved with the chapter regarding Efran. Basically, a rescue mission, and he could inform the team about Efran once he's rescued. For this, I was thinking a rabbit sub-boss as well, but nothing on that guy yet, not even a name.

This was also an idea from Watership Down. The antagonist, Woundwort, had two high-ranking captains, one fiercely loyal to him, the other also loyal but recognized when things weren't working yet still held a lot of respect for him. I don't know if I want one or two, but at least the devoted one would be a sub-boss.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

And sub-boss.
lackeyconcept.png
lackeyconcept.png (3.53 KiB) Viewed 12782 times
Still undecided on a name. I was thinking this could be the fiercely loyal guy you meet early into the warren. I was going to go the route the Watership Down went with names, but not sure. Just about all of them were named after plants. I'm basing this guy on Vervain. I think I'll make someone along the lines of Campion later on.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

How about Zailey? :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

...I'm guessing it's a reference to azaleas? I thought of naming him Marjoram, but don't think it works, as it would sound weird in the context.

...While WD had characters like Moss, Bigwig, Strawberry, and Fiver. My priorities are skewed.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Actually, it's just Zach/Bailey - because of the species and coloration. ;)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Zales sounds a bit more masculine, and less like a pet-name (pun not intended), but retains some of the floral motif?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.