2019/07/26 - Squirrel Season

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
trekkie

Re: 2019/07/26 - Squirrel Season

Post by trekkie »

I like your theory. I’ve thought , ever since we learned that Marion’s last name was Ward, that having a character named Ward and a character named Steward was more than a coincidence. Having Herman Steward be related to Lois, might also be a way for Steward to transform Lois, if that is indeed what is going to happen.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Argent

Post by Argent »

Ash Greytree wrote:I still think that the odds of Lois’ full name being Lois Steward are reasonably high, with our badger Herman Steward (it’s tough remembering that Steward is his last name, isn’t it?) being her father.

They have similar glasses, I guess.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Two problems I have with that is that I have glasses and there are other people who have the same exact style of glasses as I have and I'm not related to them at all and unless Lois was adopted which could be possible i guess, she does look mixed race at all. I mean I get taht some mixed race children look very light but she has no hint of Stewart's coloring in her.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Two problems I have with that is that I have glasses and there are other people who have the same exact style of glasses as I have and I'm not related to them at all and unless Lois was adopted which could be possible i guess, she does look mixed race at all. I mean I get taht some mixed race children look very light but she has no hint of Stewart's coloring in her.
I personally was always against the Related To Herman Steward Theory that's been going around lately. To me, I'm still holding onto the idea that maybe it wasn't the coin but something else (like another Celestial we don't know about).
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Right now, I'm just gonna read and see if we will eventually find out the whole truth even if it is later than sooner.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

SeanWolf wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Two problems I have with that is that I have glasses and there are other people who have the same exact style of glasses as I have and I'm not related to them at all and unless Lois was adopted which could be possible i guess, she does look mixed race at all. I mean I get taht some mixed race children look very light but she has no hint of Stewart's coloring in her.
I personally was always against the Related To Herman Steward Theory that's been going around lately. To me, I'm still holding onto the idea that maybe it wasn't the coin but something else (like another Celestial we don't know about).
Yeah, the RTHS Theory is kinda "Yeah, well, okay, maybe … " but it's just raw speculation right now (why not Hartford, eh?). Now, having some experience with Rick's fondness for the non-linear, I'm inclined to at least agree that "Badger's coin" is not the source of the transformation and a new "Transformer ("More than meets the eye") is about to seep into the narrative...
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Yeah, you guys are right. Steward being related to Lois is a really long shot, and there's tons of other much more interesting ways that Rick can get Lois more involved as a critical part of the story. I still think that the coin, even if it turns out that it didn't transform Marion, is going to get used in some way. It's possible that Steward and the coin are a red herring for Marion's transformation, but that the badger will use it on someone else, either as part of a plan or in an emergency where he gets cornered with no other way out than to transform someone.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Ash Greytree wrote:Yeah, you guys are right. Steward being related to Lois is a really long shot, and there's tons of other much more interesting ways that Rick can get Lois more involved as a critical part of the story. I still think that the coin, even if it turns out that it didn't transform Marion, is going to get used in some way. It's possible that Steward and the coin are a red herring for Marion's transformation, but that the badger will use it on someone else, either as part of a plan or in an emergency where he gets cornered with no other way out than to transform someone.
Well here's a VERY VERY long shot: What if Steward attempted to use the coin on Lois but the coin didn't transform her but just bounced off of her like a normal coin would to anyone?
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

SeanWolf wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote:Yeah, you guys are right. Steward being related to Lois is a really long shot, and there's tons of other much more interesting ways that Rick can get Lois more involved as a critical part of the story. I still think that the coin, even if it turns out that it didn't transform Marion, is going to get used in some way. It's possible that Steward and the coin are a red herring for Marion's transformation, but that the badger will use it on someone else, either as part of a plan or in an emergency where he gets cornered with no other way out than to transform someone.
Well here's a VERY VERY long shot: What if Steward attempted to use the coin on Lois but the coin didn't transform her but just bounced off of her like a normal coin would to anyone?
Then this would be my reaction.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

SeanWolf wrote:
Magical/supernatural immunity isn’t unheard of but I doubt Rick would do that (at least with Lois) but here’s a question, does anyone remember “So Weird” from the late nineties? It aired on Disney Channel and it didn’t last long, point is when they recast the MC the new girl was protected from magical juju by a panther spirit.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Okay, fen, now that would be a real twist and open a whole galaxy of possibilities. We have, for a long time, been speculating that there's more to Lois than just a "gal-pal" tie in to Marion but, still, we're in narrative grope. Maybe Monday will reveal something when Marion goes "all-Alice" down Karishad's basement plunge.....
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Let's hope Jessica isn't taking Marions statement literally, especially the "and die" part. Is this the first time she's had to stash someone from da po-po?
Ash Greytree wrote:Been thinking for a bit about how Steward found Marion’s name to be interesting. I still think that the odds of Lois’ full name being Lois Steward are reasonably high, with our badger Herman Steward (it’s tough remembering that Steward is his last name, isn’t it?) being her father. It would make for an interesting twist and serve to involve Lois more heavily in the story. A “chance” encounter between the badger and Lois could happen later in this arc, maybe as Lois gets home. He could be sitting in the living room after having found the house key where their family usually hides it outside or something, flipping the coin with his badger claws (seriously, how much did he have to practice to be able to do that with his new hands?), having waited for her to get back.
If she is his daughter and he is vilionous, I'd expect something more like the Vulture from Spider-man. His wants and Marion's wants would be at ends with each other, but he values his daughter's well being so much he'd postpone (but not indefinitely) his plans for Marion if it would be better for her.
trekkie wrote:...we learned that Marion’s last name was Ward...
That has not yet been confirmed.
NHWestoN wrote:Yeah, the RTHS Theory is kinda "Yeah, well, okay, maybe … " but it's just raw speculation right now (why not Hartford, eh?).
You make a good point. With all the evidence we have, Lois is just as likely to be Mr. Lundon's daughter or Dallas's sister* (adoptive sister, obviously) or be related to a lot of the cast as she is to related to Stewart.
The cape comes with the promotion.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I feel like we are looking at a giant connect the dots puzzle that is growing before our eyes, with dots that represent every character we've seen, several we haven't but expect, various locations and objects. We are all sitting and staring at it, but we have one dot representing Marion with a giant number one on it and the rest are blank.

Is that perhaps just a little torturous?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:I feel like we are looking at a giant connect the dots puzzle that is growing before our eyes, with dots that represent every character we've seen, several we haven't but expect, various locations and objects. We are all sitting and staring at it, but we have one dot representing Marion with a giant number one on it and the rest are blank.

Is that perhaps just a little torturous?
I see it as a jigsaw puzzle. There is the picture we have already formed but its full of holes and several pieces are missing but as more are filled and placed the image becomes clearer. Until then all we can do is try placing pieces in holes and hope they fit. If they don't we take them out and try again.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Champion Wallace wrote:Let's hope Jessica isn't taking Marions statement literally, especially the "and die" part. Is this the first time she's had to stash someone from da po-po?
Ash Greytree wrote:Been thinking for a bit about how Steward found Marion’s name to be interesting. I still think that the odds of Lois’ full name being Lois Steward are reasonably high, with our badger Herman Steward (it’s tough remembering that Steward is his last name, isn’t it?) being her father. It would make for an interesting twist and serve to involve Lois more heavily in the story. A “chance” encounter between the badger and Lois could happen later in this arc, maybe as Lois gets home. He could be sitting in the living room after having found the house key where their family usually hides it outside or something, flipping the coin with his badger claws (seriously, how much did he have to practice to be able to do that with his new hands?), having waited for her to get back.
If she is his daughter and he is vilionous, I'd expect something more like the Vulture from Spider-man. His wants and Marion's wants would be at ends with each other, but he values his daughter's well being so much he'd postpone (but not indefinitely) his plans for Marion if it would be better for her.
trekkie wrote:...we learned that Marion’s last name was Ward...
That has not yet been confirmed.
NHWestoN wrote:Yeah, the RTHS Theory is kinda "Yeah, well, okay, maybe … " but it's just raw speculation right now (why not Hartford, eh?).
You make a good point. With all the evidence we have, Lois is just as likely to be Mr. Lundon's daughter or Dallas's sister* (adoptive sister, obviously) or be related to a lot of the cast as she is to related to Stewart.
You make some excellent points. I wonder if there is a reason Rick didn’t explicitly state Marion’s full name, and if Marion’s name will be revealed later.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

trekkie wrote: You make some excellent points. I wonder if there is a reason Rick didn’t explicitly state Marion’s full name, and if Marion’s name will be revealed later.
Or it is just Ward because why wouldn't it be? Why would Rick go out of his way to make Marion's not the same? That would be completely pointless.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:
trekkie wrote: You make some excellent points. I wonder if there is a reason Rick didn’t explicitly state Marion’s full name, and if Marion’s name will be revealed later.
Or it is just Ward because why wouldn't it be? Why would Rick go out of his way to make Marion's not the same? That would be completely pointless.

Maybe not completely, but I think he'd have to have a really good reason for that kind of reveal. If he wanted to make Marions last name a major plot point, then why not just not have Julia say it on her outgoing message? For that to suddenly pop up now, it would almost certainly feel kinda cheap. He's a better story-teller than that.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If I remember correctly, on her message that proceeded the call going to her inbox it did say her name was "Julia Ward" so that is where people started to assume that Marion's last name came from. As for an outgoing message from Julia, she didn't leave any and why would she say her son's last name if she was calling him back? That makes no sense.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:If I remember correctly, on her message that proceeded the call going to her inbox it did say her name was "Julia Ward" so that is where people started to assume that Marion's last name came from. As for an outgoing message from Julia, she didn't leave any and why would she say her son's last name if she was calling him back? That makes no sense.
Which then evolved into the theory that he is somehow related to Herman Steward all because 'Ward' is in 'Steward'.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The word "steward" is of medieval derivision. It evolved from "sty-warden", the person on the manor entrusted with caring for the pigs. So it's no accident that "ward" is a component of the word, and conjectures about its relation to Badger's intentions are not necessarily unfounded. Rick does note such subtleties......
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

fenrirblack wrote:
It's ambiguous enough that he avoids writing himself into a corner because he can say it's not Ward at any time and it would still be consistent with everything. If he planned from the start for Marion's last name to be different than his mother's my best guess for why he did it like this is as misdirection for a big reveal that Marion is a Steward or a D'Angelo or something.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh that would really be cool if Marion was somehow related to Stanley D'Angelo and make him and Sabrina family. Like if Marion was his grandson or something. Plus it would fit since Stanley seems to be just as much of an outdated name as Marion. But then again, it would make things too much easier because Sabrina would probably realize that her dad's grandson is missing and she will hear from Lois that he was turned into a squirrel so the first part of the story which is Marion trying to prove who he is would be wrapped up rather quickly.