Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

FlintTheSquirrel

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Double Dash is my favorite of all the Mario Kart series.....and ironically is the only Mario Kart game we do not own. D;
Mario Kart 7......probably gets 5th place for me. It feels to item dependent, and I can no longer zoom past everyone by spamming wheelies.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Mario Kart is a really fun series in general, but the only one I have is Mario Kart Wii. Also, I found my old GBA and my copy of Metroid Zero Mission. Still fun.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Relatively, I'm a Mario Kart newbie. The only two I've played are DS and Wii. Hoping to pick up 7 soon (I'll finally have an actual 3DS game for my 3DS). Even though I've heard people say it's not any good, I'm hopeful for the tilt controls, since when I play the DS version now I reflexively tilt the console like a Wii remote as though it will accomplish something.
Image Image
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think 7 is good!
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:Double Dash is my favorite of all the Mario Kart series.....and ironically is the only Mario Kart game we do not own. D;
Mario Kart 7......probably gets 5th place for me. It feels to item dependent, and I can no longer zoom past everyone by spamming wheelies.
Really? I thought it felt less item dependent. The coins actually give you a benefit to being in first, too, which is nice.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Sleet wrote:I think 7 is good!
Sorry about my unclear syntax there- I haven't heard people saying 7 is bad, but rather that the tilt controls are. Do you have thoughts on them?
Image Image
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I haven't used them.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
FlintTheSquirrel

When I say item dependent, I mean that the Blue shell, instead of launching you into the air, it does that and makes you flip over 3 times, wasting more time. And there is also the 7 item, which is such a painful game changer. It just feels like when you get hit by an item in that game, it hurts a ton more than the others and without the ability to actually go any bit far ahead of others in that game unless they severely mess up, you can go from 1st to 6th within a single red shell.

I guess I also have a problem with holding items behind myself, since it really hurts your finger having to hold that button in constantly on that small controller.

Not sure if any of this made sence as I am rather tired, but that is generally why I prefer the other ones over it, sorry to say.
Nurematsu Zenpaw

Post by Nurematsu Zenpaw »

Mario Kart is great fun :D my fiancee and I played a bit of Mario Kart 64 recently and we had a really good time with it ^^ We still want Mario Kart Wii though
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I have no idea how it squares with other Mario Kart titles, but in terms of other Wii titles Mario Kart is one of if not the best, mostly because it's one of the few that uses the motion controls in a very natural way rather than awkwardly shoehorning it in.
Image Image
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The 7 is very skill-dependent and is rare, so I'm okay with it. I thought the worst as far as items goes was Mario Kart Wii, since there were 50% more people with the "good" items like blue shells and lightning.
McFly

Post by McFly »

I won't lie, I spent a lot of my free time playing Mario Kart, mostly the N64 and DS versions. The once difficult drift-boost technique has been mastered ever since. :lol:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I didn't like the DS version too much because how easy it was to snake. That was a pretty big oversight by the developers.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Was snaking really a make-or-break thing in the DS version? I know in Double Dash it certainly wasn't game-breaking if you knew how to do it or not; I still consistently beat all my friends who could snake in that game.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Snaking is impossible in every game except DS, in which if you snake effectively, you cannot lose to someone who doesn't snake unless they get really lucky with items.
McFly

Post by McFly »

I never really got into snaking. I only used it when I wanted to make the game a bit more challenging.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Sleet wrote:Snaking is impossible in every game except DS, in which if you snake effectively, you cannot lose to someone who doesn't snake unless they get really lucky with items.
Ouch. That really is a pretty vast oversight by the devs. :/
FlintTheSquirrel

I have no idea why everyone knows these random terms except me.
Do you mean drifting from side to side in a straight road? Because I have never really done that.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

It means drifting from one side of the road to the other, getting the blue sparks for the minor speed boost, and repeating the process over and over again any time you're on a straight road. It means that if you're able to do it, you get a near-constant boost of speed throughout the length of a course.

Apparently, it's only been a real problem in the DS version of Mario Kart.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I had no idea what snaking was but now I will use it because I'm pretty bad at Mario Kart DS
Sleet your warnings have backfired

But yeah I won't because I'm terrible at drifting on the DS, still not used to it.
I can't do well without drifting on the Wii, and I can't do well with drifting on the DS.
Image Image
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Snaking is difficult, so it's not like it makes the game less skill-based. It just makes the game not Mario Kart.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Huh. I forgot to mention that Star Trek online is totally free now.

We should make a Fleet together! :D
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Racing games and you leave out F-zero? Blows mario kart out of the way!
Ha snaking is an effective glitch meant to be exploited. All racing games require the player to do anything to get faster and shave seconds off the record.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

The only thing F-Zero related I've ever seen were the stages in Super Smash Bros.
FlintTheSquirrel

I have F-Zero for the SNES. I was not really a fan of it, and it may have been one of my least played games from my childhood. Hehe.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Its one of the games I used to play in my childhood.
I have a big chunk of my childhood missing, wish I could remember what I used to do.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

KJOokami wrote:The only thing F-Zero related I've ever seen were the stages in Super Smash Bros.
*Throws gamecube out Window*
that stage is the devil
:lol:
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If you mean Big Blue, I liked that one!
Nurematsu Zenpaw

Post by Nurematsu Zenpaw »

The F-Zero stages in Smash Bros are pretty fun, except Big Blue. Too many accidental deaths prevent me from really enjoying that stage. :/
Speaking of Smash Brothers, I'm currently having trouble getting Brawl to read in my Wii, even though I bought the disc lens cleaner :x so I had to send in my wii for repairs. I backed up all the save data I could, so I'm hoping I don't lose anything important... though I'm sure I have to restart Brawl from the beginning and unlock all the characters :(

In a side tangent, I'm playing a bit of xbox live now that I bought 1 month for $1. My most played game is Halo Reach (I only have Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary, so I'm limited to only a few levels).
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

There were a few F-Zero based stages in Melee. They had Mute City, Big Blue, and the Adventure Mode stage, which was basically the Mute City stage as a side-scroller. Of them, the only one I have memories of severe frustration were on the Adventure Mode stage. On the easier levels, it was a pretty simple stage and mostly just added points to the end score because it was pretty easy to finish without dying. But on hard and above (which you needed to be on in order to get certain unlockables), that place is an absolute nightmare. The cars just go so fast that it's nigh impossible to make it through in a single life.

I never particularly enjoyed the other stages, but they weren't too bad either.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Maybe if you actually played the game instead of Super Smash Bros stages!
FlintTheSquirrel

I actually liked Big Blue and Mute City. We always strived to knock out every vehicle on Mute city which was always great fun, and Big Blue was also enjoyable as it had a rather platforming feel to it through all the chaos.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think I'm one of the few people who doesn't like Hyrule Temple.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Probably because it was the most "noob friendly" map, so for those who weren't as good at the game, it was great. Super easy to just pick a fast character and run laps around it.

The only situation that I liked it was when I was feeling particularly jerk-ish that day and wanted to annoy everyone by choosing Pikachu and spamming thunder on everyone fighting on the top level. :p
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Since we are talking about F-Zero and snaking!
Here's an example and brief tutorial on how to snake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8TAXwstwbs
FlintTheSquirrel

I liked Hyrule because it was a very large map. Newbie or not, Large maps come with their benefits, and I just found it much funner being able to platform around the place instead of just same old attacking.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It beats New Pork City. That place blew.
FlintTheSquirrel

Ohh you Sleet......Seem to hate my favorite stage from both games. XP

Bigger is better in my case.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Eagleland Onett and pokemon stadium are where it's at
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Eagleland is a good big stage. I loved that place. Pokémon Stadium is always great too. Both of 'em.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Aside from Final Destination and Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium is the stage my friends and I always played on most frequently. Yoshi's Island was great too.

From Brawl, I think my favorite stages were Bridge of Eldin and Luigi's Mansion. I still liked Battlefield too, but the Final Destination in Brawl was annoying because of the way they changed the physics in the game. They removed the ability to move upwards on the under side of the stage, so if you weren't directly under the very edge of the stage, you'd get stuck under it and automatically die. Which was annoying. >.<