Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Housepets! The game.

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Orange soda, which is the same thing as alcohol in HP!, affects people differently because alcohol affects people differently. Keene got depressed, King got flirty. Some people get sloppy, some people get mean, some people get overly happy, some people get promiscuous and some people get even more clumsy.

So if Orange Soda is an item, maybe it should affect people differently?
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Orange soda, which is the same thing as alcohol in HP!, affects people differently because alcohol affects people differently. Keene got depressed, King got flirty. Some people get sloppy, some people get mean, some people get overly happy, some people get promiscuous and some people get even more clumsy.

Well i mean its a human world, with pets.

So Orange Soda wouldnt have any age restriction, unless mentioned in the comic.
King as Red (Pokemon) Avatar By CHAOKOCartoons!
ImageImage
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

KingFan202 wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Orange soda, which is the same thing as alcohol in HP!, affects people differently because alcohol affects people differently. Keene got depressed, King got flirty. Some people get sloppy, some people get mean, some people get overly happy, some people get promiscuous and some people get even more clumsy.

Well i mean its a human world, with pets.

So Orange Soda wouldnt have any age restriction, unless mentioned in the comic.
umm...what exactly are you replying to? :?
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Typically, beer effects in videogames is magically the same for everyone, no matter how unnatural it is. =P

Seeing King throwing Orange soda at bears for example would be hilarious.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

I think for the sake of progress you should put off King's ability sets until we actually discuss his role in the plot and when he will become available. :|
Hello, low order beings!

Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I agree. I'd like to point out though that King has been traditionally fairly useless when it comes to fights, except when using shovels or as a "cause" for which other people fight in his place. No offense, but I feel like he'd have more of a WoW hunter role than that of a mage. Just putting that out there.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Greatsune! I love your question! And yes, I think each major character should have their own theme, they could play during climatic points involving them like when facing their Shadows.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

*chews a Caramel bar slowly*

Very well.

*Chews it again*

Speaking of themes, I loved the Sandwich and the D'Angelo residence. <3
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

GameCobra wrote:*chews a Caramel bar slowly*

Very well.

*Chews it again*

Speaking of themes, I loved the Sandwich and the D'Angelo residence. <3
ACTUally the D'Angelo theme is a just a preset placeholder from the RPGMaker.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

Still would like to know how many sets of gear each Major Party Member needs lol

Not pieces of gear, sets of gear.
ImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Oh... Sets of gear. I'll just put these away.

Well KingFan, this is one of the things you can try deciding yourself, though I would try to keep it smallish for each character.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

SuperStar wrote:Image
Oh... Sets of gear. I'll just put these away.

Well KingFan, this is one of the things you can try deciding yourself, though I would try to keep it smallish for each character.
Okay. :)

Nice picture lol
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

When thinking about it, try to keep in mind that we should think about universal gear more than unique gear. I think having unique weapons is more important than unique gear, but having something, like says the Blue Feather for Grape would be a awesome piece of unique equipment for her, or the winter scarfs or hats people wear at times, or the jackets.

Speaking of winter gear... we totally need winter monsters :3
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

GameCobra wrote:When thinking about it, try to keep in mind that we should think about universal gear more than unique gear. I think having unique weapons is more important than unique gear, but having something, like says the Blue Feather for Grape would be a awesome piece of unique equipment for her, or the winter scarfs or hats people wear at times, or the jackets.

Speaking of winter gear... we totally need winter monsters :3
I can try. Everyones gonna have atleast 1 set of unique gear to them selves.

But I'm mostly doing gear for specific chars, but i can do some general ones as well.
ImageImage
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I would think the starter defensive gear and the top tier defensive gear at least would be unique, but most of the mid tiers be universal?

Maybe some of the sets aren't tiered though, they're situational, like a lucky set, or a fire set, or something. they're not straight up better than their predecessor, instead they are equal-ish but meant for a different purpose?

Like how some of the defense items in FFVII had lots of materia slots, or all linked slots, but poor defense, while others from the same section of the game had next to no materia capacity but great defense?

As for accessories, they tend to be all situational. usually providing a one-off buff, resistance or immunity, not directly related to defense. Like sunglasses preventing you from being blinded.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
JonnyNova

Post by JonnyNova »

I've encountered a couple of glitches with loading zones. In the newest demo when I went into the cave in the grove and then came back out the game respawned me in Babylon Forest beside Falstaff. Then when I tried to go back through the forest to where I was before this happened: http://gyazo.com/ebc02ec6beb187cf002187b45219fe48

I tried saving and resetting, but that didn't fix and now I'm pretty sure I'm stuck

Anyone else have this problem?
*purrs loudly*

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I think someone had mentioned something like that before, but I've never seen that personally. Quite the odd bug indeed :shock:
ImageImageImageImage
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:I think someone had mentioned something like that before, but I've never seen that personally. Quite the odd bug indeed :shock:
Happened to me, too. Pretty sure it's a glitch by Ace itself and not the programming, as I've encountered similar before.
Hello, low order beings!

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

GreatKitsune wrote:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:I think someone had mentioned something like that before, but I've never seen that personally. Quite the odd bug indeed :shock:
Happened to me, too. Pretty sure it's a glitch by Ace itself and not the programming, as I've encountered similar before.
I know the cause of this glitch, I already fixed it in the full version*.

*I keep mentioning Full Version, and what I mean by that is the file that is worked on to be the full version, not the special set aside version that is the demo.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Alright, I'm back. Just don't have anything to show for it...

Anyway;

@Kitsune: I actually have been toying with implementing a bayonet in the Monster. Weird for a pistol to have a knife attached, but maybe it'll look good. That's all I've thought about. The Ultimate won't have one, and I can say two others won't have one. The remaining ones, no clue.

@Kingfan: funny thing is, I did mention that if Pete is playable (still working on that case, just haven't had the energy to finish it) he would use a short sword and shield, but it wouldn't make sense for two different types of gear to share a slot. But I have not made shields, so that's open to you. I've been following a theme of mundane items being available at the beginning before more fantasy things. Maybe you could try that?

@Buster: those are good ideas for the various armor types. I'm good with that.

@Star: I'll agree on character themes. Though maybe when they encounter the Shadow, it's a dark and foreboding tone, then when defeated and the character has more resolve, it'll play their theme. Also, maybe call it a "developer's version" instead of "full version" to avoid further confusion.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

"Developer's Version", why didn't I think of that? It's so simple and precise! Thank you D-Rock!
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

Mmk.

I probably will just have general shields, cause i dont think everyone needs a unique one lol or would use one for that matter.
ImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Okay, got a sketch for the ultimate
Oddly fun to make. The wings were an ordeal, though. My last attempt at drawing wings was this. I actually had to make two separate drawings, then put one on top of the other to get it to look like this. What do you think?
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

@D-Rock

Looks nice.

But I dunno if its ULTIMATE! :O

Should put more fantasy mythical ness too it.

Maybe not in the shape your average gun or a different nose (where the ammo comes out lol), or make the handle unique?
ImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, a secondary idea for this design came up but was dropped. See the blue lines near the end of the barrel? In that concept, the wings were further back with spikes near the front. As you can see, that idea was partially implemented before dropping it.

Thing is, nothing else is coming to mind to add. I tend to let my pencil flow, and what comes out, well, comes out.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The wings on the gun is cool, but i would guess the ultimate gun would be something different. Less wings and either space-like or police-like, but with dog motives on it like badges, honors and K-9 motives.
Buster wrote:As for accessories, they tend to be all situational. usually providing a one-off buff, resistance or immunity, not directly related to defense. Like sunglasses preventing you from being blinded.
I mentioned about selling other collars back then. Most collars could do that, but make the default pet collars boost traits that the original cast of characters specialize in. Peanut gets small, but universal stat growth - Grape gets ATK and AGI, and Tarot gets MATK and MDEF.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

D-Rock wrote:Well, a secondary idea for this design came up but was dropped. See the blue lines near the end of the barrel? In that concept, the wings were further back with spikes near the front. As you can see, that idea was partially implemented before dropping it.

Thing is, nothing else is coming to mind to add. I tend to let my pencil flow, and what comes out, well, comes out.
Yes you've told us that before :p

Im just sayin, to me it looks like an average gun with wings. Nothing too 'ultimate' about it.
ImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

GameCobra wrote:The wings on the gun is cool, but i would guess the ultimate gun would be something different. Less wings and either space-like or police-like, but with dog motives on it like badges, honors and K-9 motives.
I think you mean "motifs."

Also...
:shock: Dang, man, NONE of my designs were that intricate! :?

And in reality, these are inspired from songs, that may not entirely relate to the character, but Star has managed to make them work. The quotes that exist in the descriptions for the ultimates are direct references to said songs. Except Guardian Spirit and Orga Blader, the former, we just found one that worked, and Orga blader had none at all, but took another set of lyrics from what inspired Looking Glass.

And odd thing with Book of Arcana; the musical inspiration had no lyrics. Star used a quote from the boss battle it was used in.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That gun has really came out very nice! Great job on drawing it D-Rock! It looks really cool!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Nice job, D-Rock. :)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

D-Rock wrote:@Kingfan: funny thing is, I did mention that if Pete is playable (still working on that case, just haven't had the energy to finish it) he would use a short sword and shield, but it wouldn't make sense for two different types of gear to share a slot. But I have not made shields, so that's open to you. I've been following a theme of mundane items being available at the beginning before more fantasy things. Maybe you could try that?
For a low tier mundane shield, you could have a trashcan lid?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

Buster wrote:
D-Rock wrote:@Kingfan: funny thing is, I did mention that if Pete is playable (still working on that case, just haven't had the energy to finish it) he would use a short sword and shield, but it wouldn't make sense for two different types of gear to share a slot. But I have not made shields, so that's open to you. I've been following a theme of mundane items being available at the beginning before more fantasy things. Maybe you could try that?
For a low tier mundane shield, you could have a trashcan lid?
Ah thats a good idea. I'll add that.
ImageImage
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Unless you're deliberately going for a chibi look, or trying to make a stylised logo/emblem that is not how you draw wings...

Remember where the bones and joints go. the feathers always fan out from them.

or if you don't want to figure out bones and joints, have everything fan out from the base of the wing.

But don' bend the feathers inward like that! it just looks silly!
Also i don't think a feather even can bend like that without damage...
Attachments
these sketches are junk and kinda old, but this is more about demonstrating a concept.
these sketches are junk and kinda old, but this is more about demonstrating a concept.
wing practice.png (192.67 KiB) Viewed 9441 times
wing sketch.png
wing sketch.png (92.82 KiB) Viewed 9441 times
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

D-Rock wrote: :shock: Dang, man, NONE of my designs were that intricate! :?
Sorry. X3 I didn't know where you guys got your art ideas. =P
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Doing the wings in that manner would give it a more sleek look while making everything pop a bit more. I would approve heartily if the design were tweaked a bit in that direction ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think doing the wings like that in that manner also would be a lot better.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Sorry for taking so long on Fido's Second face set. Trying to figure out how to draw a very small Spo on a very small canvas was a bit challenging, and even now I think I messed it up (honestly I think I made him look like Morty from Simon and Freddy by accident :lol: ). He may need to have his own face set as well, but I don't think it'll be necessary if he never leaves Fido's side, as well as how many lines he has.
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Pretty flashin' forward! Spo's looking okay, though he might need at least one of his own sheets.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Nice job, Chaoko. :)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Faces are looking good, Chaoko. I think Spo came out rather well.

Also, thanks for the tips, Buster. While I do hope to work my way up to the second one, think I'll style a redraw after the first one. Much more believable goal for my current skill level, and may blend with the Housepets style better. You know, that actually might let me try to move it towards the back of the barrel with something towards the front. I've been thinking about how to add more to it, best I can come up with is to add a small stock to the front of the barrel. Foldable stocks are mainly only on machine pistols, so that could change the tone of this one. Let's see how either turns out. It might take me a while, either way.

Cobra, no worries about that. Granted, while not all are song-inspired, a decent chunk probably wouldn't exist without it. Full song list is in each individual weapons page. You'll need to check the Tails of Babylon folder on my DA for that, just click on my signature.

Also, small idea for the leader of the group in the mall causing trouble for Max, Grape, and Res. How about a relative of this guy?
Could suddenly make it a personal grudge against them.