Re: Worst Books You've Ever Read

Post by Anthroguy101 »

English Literature Textbook.
None of it interests me.
The Game

Post by The Game »

Did you ever red Gone?
That book would've been awesome if it was so dang CREEPY. The author's sole purpose was to freak the reader out. I think he succeeded a little too well
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

I haven't read it myself but I hear The Scarlet Letter is horrible. One of my friends who's a big reader told me that after being forced to read it in school, he stopped reading books for a long time because he "forgot they could be good."

EDIT - fixed typo
Last edited by Senator_Sunburst on Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:I haven't read it myself but I hear The Scarlet Letter is horrible. One of my friends who's a big reader told me that after being forced to read it in school, he stopped reading books for a long time before he "forgot they could be good."
I've heard the plot isn't that bad, it's just the fact that it's written in Old English style. I want to read it for myself, but I know all that 18th centuary speak will drive me nuts. I have to read it for AP English 3, so I'll be reading over the summer, hopefully.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
The Game

Post by The Game »

Chasing Vermeer.

Oh ugh that book was horrible.
Sketcherofstuff

Post by Sketcherofstuff »

I've never gotten around to reading The Lord of the Flies, but I have seen the film (The 1960s one or the 1990s one, I can't recall) and I thought that it was fantastic. But of course, I'm sure that some people might hate it. It just appeals to my love of sinister storytelling. Also the ending was very powerful in my opinion, especially the way it was filmed from the boy's point of view (does anyone know if the film endings and book ending are the same?)

edit

Oops, sorry. I didn't realize we'd moved off that topic. Never mind.
Daniel Plainview- I DRINK YOUR MILSHAKE!
Sinder wrote: Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sketcherofstuff wrote:I've never gotten around to reading The Lord of the Flies, but I have seen the film (The 1960s one or the 1990s one, I can't recall) and I thought that it was fantastic. But of course, I'm sure that some people might hate it. It just appeals to my love of sinister storytelling. Also the ending was very powerful in my opinion, especially the way it was filmed from the boy's point of view (does anyone know if the film endings and book ending are the same?)

edit

Oops, sorry. I didn't realize we'd moved off that topic. Never mind.

I've seen the movie too. I thought it was great. :D I just didn't like the book.
Senator_Sunburst

Beagle wrote: I've heard the plot isn't that bad, it's just the fact that it's written in Old English style. I want to read it for myself, but I know all that 18th centuary speak will drive me nuts. I have to read it for AP English 3, so I'll be reading over the summer, hopefully.
I don't mind that style and neither do my friends. In fact, I once wrote a paper for my English Comp class in that style. Because normally those essays we have to write are so boring I felt I should spice it up.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I wish I had the guts to do something like that back in high school. I'm so much more interesting of a person now.

I take the last English course of my life next year. Maybe I'll get a chance to be creative like that.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Senator_Sunburst

Sleet wrote:I wish I had the guts to do something like that back in high school. I'm so much more interesting of a person now.

I take the last English course of my life next year. Maybe I'll get a chance to be creative like that.
It was actually my freshman year of college. My professor found it amusing and wondered why I decided to channel Jane Austen.
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

Im reading my biology book right now, and sex has never been so boring. Even learning about the ever so commonly thought of as great but actually not Christopher Columbus is slightly more....engaging. Not that either of them are exciting in the first place :/
Flamboyant-Pencil

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

Stardust was extremely lacking and disappointing for a Neil Gaiman book. Had it been a few hundred pages longer it might have been better, but he rushed through the plot developement, skipped all the foreshadowing, and left us a hallow adventure with a bittersweet ending, heavy with bitter.

Was it a satire on fairy tales? I dunno. I just know that I prefered Neverwhere >:C
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:I haven't read it myself but I hear The Scarlet Letter is horrible. One of my friends who's a big reader told me that after being forced to read it in school, he stopped reading books for a long time because he "forgot they could be good."

EDIT - fixed typo
Oh no D: i have to read that in like a week! Greeeeeeeeeeeat.....
The Game

Post by The Game »

I've never read the Scarlet Letter, but now I'll be sure to.
Last year I had to read The Breadwinner and Parvana's Journey for school.
Let's just say, I am NOT a fan of Deborah Ellis.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:
Beagle wrote: I've heard the plot isn't that bad, it's just the fact that it's written in Old English style. I want to read it for myself, but I know all that 18th centuary speak will drive me nuts. I have to read it for AP English 3, so I'll be reading over the summer, hopefully.
I don't mind that style and neither do my friends. In fact, I once wrote a paper for my English Comp class in that style. Because normally those essays we have to write are so boring I felt I should spice it up.

I just wrote an essay from the viewpoint of Benjamin Franklin. XD I think I made him sound a little girly, but I don't think I can help that very much. :lol:
Senator_Sunburst

Beagle wrote: I just wrote an essay from the viewpoint of Benjamin Franklin. XD I think I made him sound a little girly, but I don't think I can help that very much. :lol:
I wish to read this essay. :P
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:
Beagle wrote: I just wrote an essay from the viewpoint of Benjamin Franklin. XD I think I made him sound a little girly, but I don't think I can help that very much. :lol:
I wish to read this essay. :P
If you'd be willing to wait until about January, (after all my work is done and graded), and you reminded me, I'd be happy to let you read it. :)

I just spazz about how sometimes PM's over the internet somehow get logged on public searches on Google and such, and my teacher would spazz and say I plagerized and such. :? I can't afford that in an Honors class, and needless to say I'd get kicked off every scholarship, ever. D:

Back On Topic:
Has anyone ever read Bad Blood?
Senator_Sunburst

Beagle wrote:
If you'd be willing to wait until about January, (after all my work is done and graded), and you reminded me, I'd be happy to let you read it. :)
Totally going to remember. :P
Has anyone ever read Bad Blood?
Nope. Never heard of it.
The Game

Post by The Game »

The Nicholas Flamel Books.
The first one's plot didn't end! There was a conflict that wasn't even remotely solved. I hate it when books are like that.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I'm currently reading, I Love You Beth Cooper . I'm loving the whole plot with the story, but the book is making an over-exaggeration of our oh-so-immature high-school humor. Yeah, we act stupid, but never that wacko. D:

Yes, I understand the author intentionally wrote it in that style.
Karl

Post by Karl »

For me the worst book I've ever read was the last tome of "Harry Potter".

When I was young, I could read those books all night. There was something in them that was keeping my eyes on the pages and I could not stop reading.

However, "The deathly hallows" dissapointed me a lot. When I was reading it, I had an impression that Rowling was tired of writing about Harry and she wrote the last part like she was forced to do that. The entire book lost the magic that was on the pages. For me it was more about manslaughter of my favorite protagonists and sitting all the time in a tent, instead of discovering another secrets inside of Hogwart.

Also I don't like books that were written by Harlan Coben. In my opinion they would've been better if there weren't too much details, which I think they are unecessary.
I'm a bookworm!
Senator_Sunburst

Karlos wrote:For me the worst book I've ever read was the last tome of "Harry Potter".
If this is the worst book you've ever read...well.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Wouldn't that be the most disappointing book ever, not the worst?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Karl

Post by Karl »

Sleet wrote:Wouldn't that be the most disappointing book ever, not the worst?
It actually dissapointed me the most from all books I've read in my life. Therefore for me it's the worst, especially that I really enjoyed those series.
I'm a bookworm!
Haru Totetsu
Location: Universe A-1.7, Section C, Solar System: Delta, Earth, United Kingdom, England, Cheshire

Post by Haru Totetsu »

Personally I disliked "The Great Gatsby", I found it bland, and very overbearing. I mean I got sick of Gatsby the chracter before we even got introduced to the guy in the book! I mean how in love was our narrator to go on so much. there's also another book but I can't remember its title.

To be honest the only books I've ever dislied are the ones I was forced to read for an English Literature course I went on, which I failed. Now that I look back, I'm glad I failed because I hated those books so deeply that I'd be ashamed to pass after reading them, and they even showed us what books we'd do if we passed and went into the second year... I went ahead and read them and discovered...I hated them even more! I mean it was completly stupid, because everyone in my class agreed the books were terrible, and that means they've got to get better material or the pass rate will go down! They say we need to grow up but they have to modernise first!

...sorry, I had a bit of a rant there...
Senator_Sunburst

Books forced for English classes can be very hit or miss. I've hated just as many as I remember really loving. Catcher in the Rye I thought was an awesome book, but I couldn't stand Frankenstein.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Sleet wrote:The Secret Life of Bees. It was the most bloated piece of garbage I've ever read. I had to read it for school and like half the girls and all the boys in my class hated it.
o no! i have to read that next year! :shock:
bwah bwah
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Esparanza. Rising. HORRIBLE! Just horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible!
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

SomebodyYouKnow wrote:
Sleet wrote:The Secret Life of Bees. It was the most bloated piece of garbage I've ever read. I had to read it for school and like half the girls and all the boys in my class hated it.
Weep. Weep, for the light that is your future is being smothered in the bubbling pitch of purple prose and forced symbolism.
The Game

Post by The Game »

Eve the title of the book sounds boring.
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Sleet wrote:
SomebodyYouKnow wrote:
Weep. Weep, for the light that is your future is being smothered in the bubbling pitch of purple prose and forced symbolism.
Not to discourage people from reading assigned books but your sanity would be better off if you just read the chapter summaries off websites or cliff's notes. It is one of the worst books to be introduced to High School reading curriculum.
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

thanks guys this all makes me feel a whole lot better : (
bwah bwah