Just wondering

Discuss the comic here
D-Rock

Re: Just wondering

Post by D-Rock »

Well, we can always hope that a bigger focus on slice-of-life would mean we would see more of the “secondary” characters. See a bit more into their personal lives and social circles.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Was it Rick himself that said that he was going to drop several characters and we wouldn't see them again because the cast was so bloated and he wanted it to be easier when he rebooted the comic? Or was it something somebody assumed would happen and it took off?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It feels like the latter. I was surprised to see how prevalent that thought was here. I’m imagining the only characters we’re dropping are the Celestial/Infernal ones, but that’s only an assumption.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well I mean that part of the rumor actually is true. We ARE getting rid of all of the Celestials/Infernals in the comic. Kitsune, Pete/Kraig and Dragon/Draig becoming mortal permanently shows that.
TyVulpintaur

Post by TyVulpintaur »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:45 am Well I mean that part of the rumor actually is true. We ARE getting rid of all of the Celestials/Infernals in the comic. Kitsune, Pete/Kraig and Dragon/Draig becoming mortal permanently shows that.
I thought it was only for a mortal lifetime (60-ish years), not permanent, as Kitsune says here https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... rtal-life/
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:45 am Well I mean that part of the rumor actually is true. We ARE getting rid of all of the Celestials/Infernals in the comic. Kitsune, Pete/Kraig and Dragon/Draig becoming mortal permanently shows that.
Echoing D-Rock, I'd also like to see explorations of more of the secondary characters and their lives. However, while I'm not privy to Rick's planning for Housepets 2.0!, there really is a very, very large cast and some themes that seem to be duplicative. We have, for example, King-Bailey-three puppies for family comedy. Now we add Kitsune-Kix-Draig-Craig who vary that theme slightly (Kix is getting crabby and the kits more annoying and bratty) with Peanut-Tarot-? puppies soon to follow.

Not sure, either what will become of groupings like the "adventure ferrets" (Keene, Breel, and company), the "Gamers" (Lester, Dallas, Joey" and snarky mice"), and some of the most recent crew (Marion, Todd, Lois, others).

Will humns return to the larger roles they had in the earl years?

What about some of our favorite duos - Jessica and Zach? Marvin and Tiger? Sabrina and Fido? Kevin and Sasha? Sasha and Daisy? Fox and everybody?

Or groupings like Bino, Duchess and the Good Ol'Dogs Club gang? The K9 PDs

It'll be interesting.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

TyVulpintaur wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:21 am
I thought it was only for a mortal lifetime (60-ish years), not permanent, as Kitsune says here https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... rtal-life/
You’re thinking in-universe. Unless a huge time skip or flash-forward happens, they do seem as good as no longer going to be used.
TyVulpintaur

Post by TyVulpintaur »

D-Rock wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:04 am
TyVulpintaur wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:21 am
You’re thinking in-universe. Unless a huge time skip or flash-forward happens, they do seem as good as no longer going to be used.
Amazee made it sound like they were going to be mortal forever (which would make them immortal....). *shrugs*
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yes I did mean that the three of them were gonna live as mortals until they passed on into the next life. I don't think any Celestials or Infernals will be back in the comic ever. It is truly the end of an era.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"The Game" is very over. The cosmos is at peace and, sadly, a lot of fun characters and arcs will likely disappear. :(
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Rick still is going to do arcs when the comic resumes, just have them be very shorter and not as in-depth as they were in the past. I was worried that Rick was gonna just stick to posting one-off comics instead of doing ANY storylines.
MischaTheWolf

Post by MischaTheWolf »

Good. The characters deserve a break after going through all that celestial nonsense.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would like there to be more slice-of-life which is what we are gonna get also but I wish that we could still have arcs so we can know what to expect during it. I understand why Rick isn't doing them anymore as it is too much work but I would be lying if I said I wasn't gonna miss them.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, even with slice-of-life, you can have extended story lines. I can't see Rick doing just one-joke strips three times a week a la Family Circus.
Mollyrock11

Post by Mollyrock11 »

What is Pete/Gaspar doing when King hangs out with Fox like going to the dog club?
Hi I'm Molly. I'm a husky. I'm used to be human from different universe. The demigod, Cove sent me to Housepets! universe now. My new name is Luna.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Where did the name Gaspar come from? Pete's mortal name now is Craig. I don't get where this question came from or how it relates to anything? :?:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It’s some sort of reference, that’s all I know.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Beats me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wish I could have gotten the reference but it went over my head. Maybe if they come back they can explain it.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

It's Gaspar from Chrono Trigger
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Ah, thanks, Obbl.

And just realized the confusion. Dayzee, Gaspar was the name Pete used when he first disguised himself as King’s owner way back when he was first transformed.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

There was no way I was gonna remember that so I am glad that it has gotten cleared up. It is a nice callback though especially since Pete is now a mortal kit for the next 60 years named Craig.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:48 pm Ah, thanks, Obbl.

And just realized the confusion. Dayzee, Gaspar was the name Pete used when he first disguised himself as King’s owner way back when he was first transformed.
Was that his Welsh guise?
Jazzyamx

Post by Jazzyamx »

NHWestoN wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:33 pm
D-Rock wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:48 pm Ah, thanks, Obbl.

Was that his Welsh guise?

Yeah, he identified it as his 'Gaspar getup' in this strip, and it was Grape who called him a 'weird Welshman' in the following one--he evidently used the name Pete, as per her recognition of it.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... nderstand/

(also, hello again everyone. I'm still alive--just have been insanely busy and stressed. Hoping to continue writing soon.)
"We're all mad, some of us are just a bit more honest about it." --The Master, Doctor Who (Paraphrased)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Glad to see that you were able to come back to the forum and give us an update! We all will be looking forward to the future stories you are gonna write and post here soon! :D
Jazzyamx

Post by Jazzyamx »

Glad to be back as well, thanks for the warm return welcome.

As I'm not sure on reviving decade old threads on height charts and HP biology, I figured I might put my musings here.

I know Res is a Maine Coon, known to be some of the largest domestic cats alongside the likes of Siberian and Norwegian Forest Cats.
Now, Res doesn't seem overly tall, kinda akin to Grape in height--but to be fair, not all Maine Coons are massive.

There was an amusing pic posted some years ago in the Non-Comic Housepets Art thread showing Grape alongside Zach Arbelt's tongue-in-cheek cousin the "Opener of Jars" a rather large and buff Flemish Giant rabbit--befitting how big those bunnies get IRL.

I was kinda idly wondering just how tall some of the larger trending breeds of pet from reality might get in the HPU--that Flemish Giant lived up to the name, but some of those large cat breeds I mentioned can rival them in size, plus you have true giants like the Irish Wolfhound dog breed--the largest real life examples of which can stand at seven feet (2.13 meters) tall when on their hind legs!

Overall, I kinda idly wonder if some species/breeds of very large domestic felines, canines, and lagomorphs might even rival some humans in height within the HPU.
"We're all mad, some of us are just a bit more honest about it." --The Master, Doctor Who (Paraphrased)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wouldn't mind seeing if that was true about them also actually and wonder what Rick's opinion on it would be. Maybe it will be something that he will set up in the comic when he begins posting it again!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hard to say. Not sure how much wildlife will figure in the "New and Improved Housepets!". Whether characters like Res also return is another speculation. With a cast of 120+, there'll be more than afew cast cuts. Especially after the raises performers got from the Actors' Strike. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am hoping that we do get to see some characters in background cameos if they don't get any main stories though. That way they won't completely end up dropping out of the comic though I would like to check in on them from time to time but I am not sure that will be possible.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, Rick has backgrounded a few of his veterans from time to time - Rex and Terrance come to mind.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

But they were already not seen a lot in the first place so naturally nobody noticed them at any point. If it was someone like Tiger or Marvin who we did see quite a bit of I am sure we would be able to point them out.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

True, Rex appeared in the first years stories as the over-sized not-too-bright figure of meance in Bino's posse. Over time, the character's humor often arose from revealing unexpceted, softer aspects of his personality - like his baking skills and halting attempts to act as a conscience to some of Bino's plots. Terrance played important roles in a couple of the K9 police sagas then, except for one or two office walk-ons, disappeared. Both still have real comic possibilities, Terrance less than Rex, but I'd be startled to either return in any significant way.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that Terrence was pretty much done for in any capacity once Mungo was introduced to be another member of the K-9 force an to be linked to Fox. Rick seemed to want to have a small set of members as characters and I expect that to be smaller when the comic reboots.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yeah, I think you can structure the society of Housepets! in groupings of about five. A group may start out or grow larger - like the K9 force, the treehouse tribe, the wolfpack, the D&D players, the Milton ferrets - but over time, the "regular" active characters tend to focus on about five members.
Thus, citing Amazz's thoughts above, the K9s were five with Sargeant Ralph, Fido, Fox, Kevin, and Terrence. Add Mungo, making six, and someone's got to step back - in this case, Terrence. Of course, Kevin also has a "side-gig comedy" (his gym-rat personality and relationship with Sasha) and Fox has developed several narratives over the decade and a half. Peanut, Grape, Max, and Tarot have often had a "fifth member" (Sabrina, Zach) but they're mostly a core foursome.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can't ever see the group of Peanut/Grape/Tarot/Max having a fifth member at all and even when they had someone they weren't really linked to the other four. As soon as a fifth person was added you knew that they were just an afterthought. Besides most of the beats came from the 4 being involved in double-dates and Peanut once having feelings for Grape.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Sabrina often acts as a fifth member of the group, participating in their Imaginates and joining them on their trip to the past.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

But even when she does it just feels like she is an extra to me. Like she isn't really integrated with the group.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

For a long time, I thought Sabrina had more depth and personality than Tarot (or Fido,for that matter). In one arc, it seemed like she was developing a kind of connection with Fox, even getting a little flirty with him. Perhaps she emerge even more versatile in the Soon-to-be-new-and-improved-Housepets! but more likely she'll fade further into the background. :(
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yep, everything single thing you enjoyed about the old Housepets! is going away in the new Housepets! :P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am pretty sure that its not going to go away but there will be a much smaller cast if only to make things easier for Rick to streamline things. In the beginning there was only focus on about 15 characters before the cast ballooned. Going by how many appearances and how popular the characters are, if Rick was to go down to 15 characters to focus on I think they would be: Grape, Peanut, King, Tarot, Maxwell, Fox, Sabrina, Bailey, Marion, Fido, Zach, Lois, Mungo and Jessica.

With anybody else appearing in very short roles or actually appearing in the background.