Just wondering

Discuss the comic here
NHWestoN

Re: Just wondering

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:40 am I honestly wouldn't and can't see how King/Bailey, Fido/Sabrina or even Peanut/Grape would be the same as Tiger/Marvin. No way would they ever be more than just brothers.
I was thinking more in terms of "comedy team" a la Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, etc. rather than romantic-types. But your point is valid. Part of the appeal of Peanut and Grape is there's a certain "Grapenut" tension that suffuses their comraderie, and I don't see Rick going further down that road. As already noted, there other couples where that strand could develop or already has.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If you put it by the two characters being more of a comedy team and not a romantic pairing it still doesn't make a lot of sense. I can't see King/Bailey or Fido-Sabrina as comedy. But Tiger/Marvin and Peanut/Grape DO have a comical tone in common with each other.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:54 pm If you put it by the two characters being more of a comedy team and not a romantic pairing it still doesn't make a lot of sense. I can't see King/Bailey or Fido-Sabrina as comedy. But Tiger/Marvin and Peanut/Grape DO have a comical tone in common with each other.
Hmmm. I thought King and Bailey had more than a few humorous moments; Fido and Sabrina never developed much as a couple. Sasha had several possibilities with various male characters, too, as we've seen on several occasions. I still think she and Daisy could be an interesting pairing, Sasha being ditzy but having hidden talents and Daisy being very smart but socially awkward.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that in the coming new strips that we are gonna be seeing that aren't part of arcs that the two of them should be developed. We can't be the only ones thinking that Sasha and Daisy have potential.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:52 am I think that in the coming new strips that we are gonna be seeing that aren't part of arcs that the two of them should be developed. We can't be the only ones thinking that Sasha and Daisy have potential.
I guess it'll depend in part on how Rick might redesign the whole Babylon Gardens milieu. I don't know if he'll want to return to the suburbian vibe that dominated the early years or find a different way to "go cosmic". I think a lot of his old gigs no longer interest him - for example, I doubt we'll ever see another "Imaginate" (which I loved and found absolutely side-splitting!). Peanut and Grape will undoubtably remain but they might move off into separate orbits. A few "Adventures of Marion and Lois" might emerge, too, since he seems to have taken a shine to that pair and they have some real comic/dramatic possibilities. Older venues like the Good Ol'Dogs Club, the Yarn Ball, the K9s, the Zoo, and Jessica's Treehouse might return and, with them, all or some of the neighborhood gangs.

I suspect there'll be a lot of "pink slips", including more than a few unexpected casualties. Fox, for example, is a recurring character who (to me) has slowly degraded from a poigniant, sympathic mensch who invoked our compassion into a whinny, pathetic boor who made us cringe. Rather than resolve all the questions raised by the Animal Equalization changes, that whole construct - along with Keene and the Miltons - might just expunged. It'll be interesting. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Pretty sure that any questions that anybody have about the Animal Equalization changes will just be pushed aside or be insisted that it is a good thing to help animals get rights. Of course it took a selfish and self-serving decision by Marion so he could get into college to go after his career path but it supposed to be seen as good the characters don't agree they will be portrayed as being in the wrong. :roll:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... or maybe we revert to an older, more "funny animal" version of Babylon Gardens. Gaming gambits with Joey, Lester, and Dallas mebbee?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That doesn't really change the fact that anybody who has concerns about the Animal Equalization changes will be accused of wanting to keep animals as second-class citizens and be vilified for pointing out any sort of flaws to what happened.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Seems like it, honestly.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

As I said, Rick basically saying there will be a cure eventually pretty much guarantees that for as long as the comic is running there will be NO cure found as that was just to shut up his critics.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Where are the Muppets these days?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

They have a new show on Disney+ from what I hear. Whether or not its actually any good remains to be seen. I don't even know if I have it on my FireStick.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

How bad the snowin's gonna be this winter ...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have seen reports online saying that it is gonna be REALLY bad. But then again they always say that every winter. LOL
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

They’re going to keep saying it, til they get it right.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Where I live, we get snow on Halloween and it's warm as spring on Christmas, lol.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

God I hope that doesn't happen this year. I am not ready for the snow AT ALL. I'm not until generally November.
piero345655

Post by piero345655 »

At least you've experienced snow. Where I live it never snows, they don't put up Halloween decorations either, there is no St. Patrick's Day, April Fool's Day or Easter Day, although Christmas is not completely forgotten (although the latter only decorates shopping centers or other public companies) and my country does. Has it all. but apart from that the rest is almost nothing :(
TyVulpintaur

Post by TyVulpintaur »

First time I experienced snow was when we moved from Dallas to Maryland back in 1982. It snowed a blizzard on my 6th birthday XD And then there was the Blizzard of 1993, when we got 36 inches of snow and schools closed for 2 weeks (since at the time they only allowed 5 days for snow, they decided to add 30 minutes to the school day after Spring Break, and tacked on an extra day to make up for the other 5 days). 1996, we got another 36 inches. Same in 2004. Then came the winter of 2009-10. We got a record-breaking 60 inches for the season (26 inches in a storm in December, then in February we got a 1-2 punch with 24 inches in one storm and an additional 10 inches 3 days later). I moved to Alabama in 2011, and since then we've only had 2 occasions of snow, neither more an inch, thankfully.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I always used to love snow as a kid because it meant that school might end up being cancelled for the day. Now that I am an adult and have to SHOVEL it, I hope it doesn't snow as much.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

As a kid, I remember heavy snows that followed one right after the other. Yet, more often than not, the plows would have the roads clear enough so the schools would be open. We'd build forts and battle lines in the ball fields at school and have huge snowball fights, one grade section against the other. Team Green against team Blue. Couldn't be Team Yellow because yellow was a synonym for cowardice. Team Red was prohibited because Red stood for the "commies" (it was the 1950s and we were "PC" - "patriotically correct".)

Now I have to shovel it, too, but I move the car so it's safely close to the driveway exit. Me shoveling takes all day and a lot of coffee. At my age and my stage, nothing is urgent any more - and what is, you call an ambulance. ;)
TyVulpintaur

Post by TyVulpintaur »

NHWestoN wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:06 pm As a kid, I remember heavy snows that followed one right after the other. Yet, more often than not, the plows would have the roads clear enough so the schools would be open. We'd build forts and battle lines in the ball fields at school and have huge snowball fights, one grade section against the other. Team Green against team Blue. Couldn't be Team Yellow because yellow was a synonym for cowardice. Team Red was prohibited because Red stood for the "commies" (it was the 1950s and we were "PC" - "patriotically correct".)

Now I have to shovel it, too, but I move the car so it's safely close to the driveway exit. Me shoveling takes all day and a lot of coffee. At my age and my stage, nothing is urgent any more - and what is, you call an ambulance. ;)
We weren't allowed to have snowball fights on school property, teachers and staff threatened detention/suspension.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The authorities put a definitive stop to our winter combats when I entered the eighth grade, but conspiracies still erupted for some years after that.
An attempt to end the practice by ending winter recesses led to a near revolt by the teacher's but then threats of expulsions got the parents involved.
Kill-joys.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can sort of understand why they didn't want us to have snowball fights honestly. Some of the kids I grew up with and went to school with were complete and total dillholes and would have taken it too far. There was worries about there being ice in the snow which could grievously harm someone.

Though to be fair, it was only really an issue I saw in elementary school as they had recess (up until 6th grade.) My middle school was next to a (different) elementary school and we didn't have recess or a recess yard and NOBODY was interested in staying outside in the snow when I got to high school.

I graduated elementary school in 2004. Middle school in 2006 (not really a graduation we just had a field day). High school in 2010.
TyVulpintaur

Post by TyVulpintaur »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:14 am I can sort of understand why they didn't want us to have snowball fights honestly. Some of the kids I grew up with and went to school with were complete and total dillholes and would have taken it too far. There was worries about there being ice in the snow which could grievously harm someone.

Though to be fair, it was only really an issue I saw in elementary school as they had recess (up until 6th grade.) My middle school was next to a (different) elementary school and we didn't have recess or a recess yard and NOBODY was interested in staying outside in the snow when I got to high school.

I graduated elementary school in 2004. Middle school in 2006 (not really a graduation we just had a field day). High school in 2010.
Our school system, we usually had indoor recess when it was deemed "too cold" (they had board games or games like Connect Four), middle school the last 20 minutes or so of lunch you could go outside to play, and our school system had an "open lunch" policy for high schools, and my high school (Walter Johnson HS in Bethesda, Maryland) was conveniently next to a strip mall with a few restaurants and a grocery store, and there was a mall a few minutes drive away, so most students went off-campus for lunch. Which was a good thing, as our school at the time had 1,200 students (1994-95 school year), so if your fourth period class was nowhere near the cafeteria, you'd be waiting a LONG time in the lunch line....(now the student population is roughly 2,870. OUCH!)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We didn't have an open lunch policy at our high school at all and I didn't even know that something like that had actually existed at all until I read about it online. I don't think any high schools around me have that policy but the food in our high school didn't suck so that was good (it was a CTE high school).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

We had hot lunches you could buy or you could bring a bag lunch from home. The cafertia also set out peanut butter and butter sandwiches on white or wheat bread. Anyone could eat those sandwiches. The idea was to insure all kids got something to eat, especially those who could not pay for hot meals and did not bring food from the outside. Everyone, however, could have them so that (a) the so-called "poor kids" would not be singled out and (b) so certain parents could not complain about "handouts to welfare cheats and their brats". Hey, it was the 1950s.

(Ornithological joke: "Throughout the United States, all the birds say "tweet, tweet, tweet" except in New Hampshire where they say 'Cheap, cheap, cheap" (it's a homophone pun - birds say "cheep"; "cheap" can mean "tight-fisted, miserly" a characteristic sometimes associated with us Yankees. ;) )
Last edited by NHWestoN on Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

In elementary school we either got a hot lunch, a cold lunch (usually some kind of club) or PB&J/PB&F for lunch. I usually just got the hot or PB&J/PB&F sandwiches. Middle school I just had Lunchables and high school I got pizza.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Will the ferrets disappear - given that Keene and crew have often been the instigaters of cosmic disturbances?
TyVulpintaur

Post by TyVulpintaur »

I'm sure Keene will appear, he seems to be a fan favorite.
Not sure about the rest of them, though.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that they will still show up at least in the background and make cameos a few times so its not over for them yet. Even before the Celestials ended up showing up in the comic, the ferrets still had a presence no matter how small it was.
Julius Aguirre

Post by Julius Aguirre »

trekkie wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:35 pm They’re going to keep saying it, til they get it right.
it is
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:20 pm I think that they will still show up at least in the background and make cameos a few times so its not over for them yet. Even before the Celestials ended up showing up in the comic, the ferrets still had a presence no matter how small it was.
True enough. Rick has a lot of fun with the Keene-Breel combo. He might also return to exploring the foibles of Keene's brothers and sisters, something which was deliciously original and anarchic, especially with feature appearances by Tiger, Jessica, and other "second bananas" in the cast.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If we do end up seeing Tiger again, I really want to see Marvin also. Give him a chance Rick! He can definitely star in his own stories! Either that or pair him up with Max.
Chieris

Post by Chieris »

I just started wondering about this. If you go out and take a walk in the HP-universe, do you hear birds chirping or all you hear is them bantering, flirting or just casually talking with each other?
I dunno, just imagine something funny here

And also just to advertise myself:
https://www.furaffinity.net/user/chieris/
https://www.deviantart.com/dangraythewolf
Retrospring for my Housepets characters: https://retrospring.net/@Garfield474
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

In the HP-verse I honestly wouldn't mind hearing birds flirting with each other. I am sure that it would be very hilarious to see a male trying )and failing) to pick up a female. :P
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Except for Trinket, Rick has shown almost no serious interest in bird characters. Reptiles and amphibians neither.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I highly doubt that we are gonna see Trinket again to tell you the truth. That does sort of suck because there were so many interesting stories Rick could have told. But the writing was in the wall when her most prominent appearance was being fused with Steward to be the wings of his demon form. :roll:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The "New and Improved Housepets!" will likely see much, much fewer appearences of "Second-banana" characters like Trinket, Rex, and (sadly) Sabrina and also con-artist types like Cory, Discount Jack, and the raccoons. Guess we'll see...........
Chieris

Post by Chieris »

I have a bad habit that I'm occasionally thinking about the "wasted potential" of Housepets. Having only a handful of non-mammal characters and them having only a few appearances is one of those. Personally I would have loved to see pet parrots or ravens in the comic
I dunno, just imagine something funny here

And also just to advertise myself:
https://www.furaffinity.net/user/chieris/
https://www.deviantart.com/dangraythewolf
Retrospring for my Housepets characters: https://retrospring.net/@Garfield474