Photography Thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Photography Thread

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

They never really look forward when they hear people coming from the hallway which I was. They turn and stay in your direction even if their eyes are closed. LOL
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Karen, the Cape Barren Goose, wants to speak to your manager :P
I took these photos at work this week.

And some of my "coworkers". Image taken a couple of weeks ago.

Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Those photos look amazing Hlaoroo!! Are those Wallabys?

I've been playing about with an old digital camera I picked up a while back, it's a bridge camera so you can change quite a few of the settings, I have very limited knowledge of photography but here is a pic I took recently I'm fairly happy with, it's rutting season round here so some fine pairs of antlers about. I used a zoom lens and a monopod so I was a respectful distance away so as not to disturb them.

What's that.JPG
What's that.JPG (542.87 KiB) Viewed 79400 times
Disproportionately Dappled
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Oh, deer ... love`em! Nice shot (so to speak).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

All of those pictures have came out very nice and are so beautiful! You both really did a marvelous job in capturing the beauty of the scenery and animals in them! Awesome work Furrhan and Daunted! ^__^
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Thanks for the kind comments, to follow (or fallow?) on from that I also got a snap of a dark brown Fallow, this colouration is rarer, he seemed quite popular with the ladies judging by the number hanging round him :-). A tricky shot to get as us Fallows are shy types and like to hide behind trees, far away!

Dark fallow.JPG
Dark fallow.JPG (531.34 KiB) Viewed 79356 times
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The old Seneca Army Depot in New York is a refuge for a significant population of white deer. These cervids are not albinos but carriers of a recessive gene that results in white offspring. In mating with "brown" deer, they may produce either coloration.

They conduct bus tours which are quite fun - the deer are not tame by any means, but they're not easily spooked. What does have the caretakers concerned is that a small coyote pack has established a colony on the post and, of course, they pose a threat to the fawns.
MischaTheWolf

Post by MischaTheWolf »

It's always nice to see deer thriving, whether it's in a sanctuary or outside of one.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I just hope that the coyote pack don't kill any fawns in the sanctuary! That would be really problematic and go against the whole point of it in the first place which is to protect the deer. :(
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

That's intriguing I didn't realise any herds of white Deer existed, had a quick search, the photos of them look amazing, I really hope the Coyotes don't make too much of an impact, over here there are really very few predators to threaten Deer, I guess it is a different story in the US, I hadn't even considered Coyotes. That Depot seems vast to me. Interesting how the White Deer herd came into existence.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Coyotes have spread steadly throughout the United States over the last twenty years or so. There's a lot of debate about the causes of their spread but they've definitely succeeded in establishing their presence. They've also become emboldened to enter human communities where they've been known to menace pets and even children (not often - they're very cautious - but it happens).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

My current neighborhood is in an area thay was all woods with wildlife a few decades ago. Now its all developed so I honestly wouldn't doubt it if I see anything over here.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:16 pm Coyotes have spread steadly throughout the United States over the last twenty years or so. There's a lot of debate about the causes of their spread but they've definitely succeeded in establishing their presence. They've also become emboldened to enter human communities where they've been known to menace pets and even children (not often - they're very cautious - but it happens).
That's intriguing, I never really considered Coyotes in the States, I guess they are opportunists. I did a bit of digging online and it turns out there may be some white deer in the UK at a place called Thoresby Park that I was unaware of, one day I may visit, I can't find a lot of detail but it would be great to get some photos if the Deer are obliging. Apparently some of the Fallow deer there are descended from a medieval Sherwood Forest (of Robin Hood fame) herd according to online historical sources.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am the exact opposite of that statement. When I think of coyotes, I never considered them in the UK. I do know that they are obviously there though like other wildlife.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:06 pm I am the exact opposite of that statement. When I think of coyotes, I never considered them in the UK. I do know that they are obviously there though like other wildlife.
I'm afraid we don't have any Coyotes Amazee, they seem to be confined to the Americas, we don't really have many big predators at all here, no Wolves (hunted to extinction a few hundred years ago), Bears etc. so less for us Deer to worry about I guess :-). We don't even have Moose or Racoons. We have a few Foxes and Badgers hereabouts and the odd weasel. Interestingly it seems someone tried to introduce Coyotes in the 1800s (probably to hunt) but the introduction was a failure.

Another photo from a recent trip, the Fallows I've seen usually stick together in herds in forested areas but this young fellow was on his own just nonchalantly strolling along on his morning walk, he really was not bothered when I sauntered up and just casually jogged past me at a leisurely pace, I guess each Deer has it's own character, I would say this one was not lacking in confidence.

Got my eye on you.JPG
Got my eye on you.JPG (315.01 KiB) Viewed 79221 times
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is such a nice picture you got of the deer! Good job on capturing it!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hey, if you got it, strut it! Handsome little guy, just radiates character and poise, and a terrific photo shot, DD.

For reasons I won't bore you with, introducing coyotes was a serious stewwwww-Pid idea; rejoice that the experiment failed! They havr spread to every state in the union here and cause not end of problems. The little one are seriously cute, though - but mom and dad are murderous vermin sacks.

There is a theory that coyotes spread moving out of territories that growing packs of wolves moved into - wolves detest coyotes and kill them whenever they find them, I'm told.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Coyotes will continue to make more and more appearances in civilization as humans keep on deforesting areas in order to put up new buildings and roads. In some areas it is VERY obvious that it is happening as we speak.
MischaTheWolf

Post by MischaTheWolf »

I personally like coyotes but some species need sanctuaries for a reason.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Which is kind of a bit strange to tell you the truth as it is almost like an oxymoron. Species need sanctuaries mostly because their habitats are getting destroyed in order to build more urban areas. But how are sanctuaries usually built?

...By once again destroying wild habitats in order to build it up. :roll:
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Saw this fellow on my wanderings recently, I always like corvids, not sure what variety this is, they seem to have plenty of character, clever birds, we are fortunate to have some Blackbirds that nest in our garden.

Beautiful imperfection.jpg
Beautiful imperfection.jpg (486.7 KiB) Viewed 79097 times
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is such a really nice picture of that bird! Great job on getting it Daunted!
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

DDeer wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:44 pm Saw this fellow on my wanderings recently, I always like corvids, not sure what variety this is, they seem to have plenty of character, clever birds, we are fortunate to have some Blackbirds that nest in our garden.

Ravens/Crows can remember your face and seek revenge.

Also, they hold funerals.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:30 am
DDeer wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:44 pm Saw this fellow on my wanderings recently, I always like corvids, not sure what variety this is, they seem to have plenty of character, clever birds, we are fortunate to have some Blackbirds that nest in our garden.

Ravens/Crows can remember your face and seek revenge.

Also, they hold funerals.
I knew crows were clever creatures but never heard about the funerals thing, intriguing, having done some digging on the internet there are lots of theories as to why they may exhibit this behaviour, without getting too macabre I’ve often wondered to what degree animals understand the states alive and dead.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is the first I have ever heard of any animal holding a funeral for the dead. They must understand living and death very clearly!
Chieris

Post by Chieris »

Here are some peleides blue morpho butterflies, I took these photos when Budapest Natural History Museum had a temporary butterfly pavilion during the summer

I dunno, just imagine something funny here

And also just to advertise myself:
https://www.furaffinity.net/user/chieris/
https://www.deviantart.com/dangraythewolf
Retrospring for my Housepets characters: https://retrospring.net/@Garfield474
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Lovely. Among some of the things I've mourned since returning to the old homestead is the decline in insect varieties and numbers. Butterrflies have been fewer and less varied; I have yet to see a praying mantis. Most regrettable.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Amazing photos Chieris, glorious iridescence! I didn't know you got Preying Mantis over there Weston, they seem highly exotic and otherworldly to me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

DDeer wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:53 pm Amazing photos Chieris, glorious iridescence! I didn't know you got Preying Mantis over there Weston, they seem highly exotic and otherworldly to me.
Oh, they were wonderful, DDeer. They were like tiny dinosaurs. Mom let me keep one in a small terrerium, the deal being no more than one at a time and, after seven days, I had to release my captive. (That was the family rule regarding all wild "captured pets." )
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:11 pm
DDeer wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:53 pm Amazing photos Chieris, glorious iridescence! I didn't know you got Preying Mantis over there Weston, they seem highly exotic and otherworldly to me.
Oh, they were wonderful, DDeer. They were like tiny dinosaurs. Mom let me keep one in a small terrerium, the deal being no more than one at a time and, after seven days, I had to release my captive. (That was the family rule regarding all wild "captured pets." )
To my knowledge we have nothing akin to that over here, they always looked highly intelligent and cunning, excellent predators I imagine, a book series I have read called Shadows of the Apt features a preying mantis humanoid as one of the main characters, sounds like it shouldn't work bit it does.

on the subject of insects here is one of a dragonfly I managed to get, this variety was very small, one I have not seen before, about 1.5" I would guess, not like the larger blue ones we see more frequently here by canals, it was right on the limit of what my lens is capable if and I had to play about with it on the computer to bring out any detail but happy with the result. I know the lens flare is a bit of a no no but I kinda like the result.

Dragonflyd.jpg
Dragonflyd.jpg (313.44 KiB) Viewed 78916 times
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The insect you have depicted in that beautifully composed shot may actually be what we'd call a damselfly. They're kin to dragonflies but most species are smaller and slighvtly more delicate. But, where you live, this creature might be classed as a dragonfly - I'm not an entomologist by trade.

When I was a kid, I used to raise aquatic insect larvae in an aquarium. Most of them never made it to adulthood until I learned to keep no more than one or two dragonfly larvae because they killed most of the others. Fascinating.

But, again, a real professional shot, DD. :)
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

I think you’re right Weston, I’ve heard of the name damselfly but didn’t realise this is what they were, doing a bit of research apparently the way you can tell them apart is size and the fact that damsel flies tend to fold their wings back when resting. Thanks for the heads up! I’ve heard dragonflies are pretty good hunters.
Last edited by DDeer on Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Dragonflies are like World War II fighter aircraft - they live heavily on mosquitoes but, basically, if they can catch it, they'll chew it up. I've seen them snatch a beetle on a leaf stem, but they don't like to land for long (unless they're mating or laying eggs). They're impressive creatures, often very colorful and irridescent.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Those are some really great photos that everybody has posted in here! They all look really vibrant and impressive!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Since you're all sharing wildlife photos, have a rufous-bellied pademelon I captured today. Pademelons are small wallabies and the rufous-bellied variety are only found in Tasmania. This one is a juvenile, probably about 10 months old.

Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Intense little guy. Serious cutester. :)
Chieris

Post by Chieris »

My country has trams decorated for the winter holidays and I thought I would show one of them from the city of Szeged. Szeged's holiday trams are quite modest compared to the other 3 big cities with trams as they only have some LED strips put on them, but I still like them nonetheless. The trams featured on the picture are ČKD Tatra KT4Ds made in Czechoslovakia in 1985, they were previously used in East Berlin and Potsdam before Szeged bought them in the 2000s.
Also Szeged is my favorite city in Hungary because I find it so calm despite being the 3rd biggest city in the country

Link to Deviantart post
I dunno, just imagine something funny here

And also just to advertise myself:
https://www.furaffinity.net/user/chieris/
https://www.deviantart.com/dangraythewolf
Retrospring for my Housepets characters: https://retrospring.net/@Garfield474
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Pretty.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Seriously classy - visiting Hungary has always been one of my travel ambitions.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

All of this is just some really great work! I do indeed love the photos in here everybody!