2022/11/29 - It’s Good To Be Good

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

2022/11/29 - It’s Good To Be Good

Post by Obbl »

[ It’s Good To Be Good ]

Title Text: it wasn't a very good offer but it had to be made, it's in the evil handbook

Yeet! :D
PhycoKrusk

Re: 2022/11/29 - It’s Good To Be Good

Post by PhycoKrusk »

Anyone else think that Eudoant just needs a mother very, very badly?
Were Jack

Post by Were Jack »

PhycoKrusk wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:00 am Anyone else think that Eudoant just needs a mother very, very badly?
Your comment made me recall something from Shaman King (manga, and possibly new anime if it follows the manga as people say): Hao. UNCOVER ON YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY

Also someone mentioned Pete going to evil side. I knew he wouldn't, though I didn't anticipate Eudoant to actually ask this, lol. As the alt text say... this stuff became a meme already. Almost every villain make such an offer to the point that it's cliche af.

Also I like Pete even more now. He got what he deserved and despite doing some ugly things, he wasn't bad, but now... I love flawed characters that doesn't give a hekk about them being flawed and just directly saying it like it was something they should be proud of.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

The guy takes time out
whilst throttling Kit
to try and tempt Pete,
who’s usually a git.
It doesn’t work
Pete sees another way.
He’s not ‘evil’per se,
just a teenager at play.
He’s seen his flaws
like never before;
but distracts the guy
whilst Dragon sucks dry
all the power they need
before the beatings proceed...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

And so, we learn ... Eudoant is a pretty unimaginative Infernal apparatchik, Pete's catapulted back into his adolescence, Great Kitsune doesn't look that good in pink, and SDragon knows how to focus back on the action while they have the advantage. If she could wallop a storm monster, she can likely handle the four-eared Demon-Deer.
Cosmacelf

Post by Cosmacelf »

It’s interesting that Pete and Dragon appear to be more powerful than Kitsune here…
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Housepets: The comic about slice of life drama with animals and also kaiju battles.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Cosmacelf wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:16 am It’s interesting that Pete and Dragon appear to be more powerful than Kitsune here…
Fresh to the battle and the power of numbers - the battle seems about to turn. ... about to. We'll just see. :|
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Glad to see Pete has SOME sort of awareness of his actions towards Joel/King and that he was kind of a jerk. I don't think he was ever meant to be 100% evil though. However King and Bailey may disagree. LOL
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Ah, great move, Pete! :D Don't let Eudoant make you feel down and regret your old mistakes, which you're already aware of, then. Figure out accept an his propose just for his convenience... :roll: You and Spirit Dragon got the punishment you deserved, it's an old story now, it's closed. Pete has sins, okay, but you're the real evil one, Eudoant. :x Poor Great Kitsune, but he was looking kinda cute, though. :P Yeah, Spirit Dragon, don't turn the sense of what Pete said: it's you all who are actually winning. ;)
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Ah yes. We all know that "Pete" and "Dragon" are "not" "evil."

Once again, Eudoant calling it like it is.
Cosmacelf

Post by Cosmacelf »

Pete was never evil. He was a pain in the butt, an annoying know-it-all and was resorting to desperate measures, but he stayed within the bounds of decency.

We first saw him trying to win over Grape via fun dreams. Gape was more than happy to be riding through the clouds on top of Pete. But Dragon interceded by, forcing I might remind you, Tarot to take a boyfriend she didn't even know. So in this skirmish, Pete's looking better than Dragon.

Then Joel is going to prison. And would have remained a bitter clueless person thereafter probably. Pete did actually do him a favor by turning him into a dog, even if Joel/King didn't appreciate it nor explicitly want it at the time. I'd be inclined to give Pete a pass here too.

OK, so next we have Pete trying to steal Joel/King's fate. To what end we don't know. However soon thereafter Pete is put on trial, gets punishment, and then can foresee that King's new girlfriend is going to play right into his hands. While King would have made a good Avatar due to age bonus, Bailey was tons better due to her natural athletic ability and the fact that she willingly did it for love of another, a big bonus. Pete just had to sit back and let things play out naturally after that. Pete just got lucky since King was going to run into Bailey at some point anyways, unless Pete somehow forced King to immediately fall in love with Bailey. Regardless, King/Bailey pairing up was in both their interests. So, again, I don't see much fault in what Pete did or didn't do here.

The only time that I remember that Pete was being unkind was soon after King turned into a dog and Pete was making King's life miserable. Pete was doing that to force King to submit to being his avatar, and as the heavenly judge wryly stated, he was getting pretty desperate at that point. It got taken out of Pete's hands at that point, King was sent to live with the wolves, etc.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

To underscore one of your points, Comsa, Kitsune did give Joel the choice of returning to his human form and very enjoyable human life in the bargain. He turned that down without blinking an eye, choosing instead a dog's life with the only guarantee being that he'd always be with Bailey. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have always wondered if Joel knew which choice was which when Kitsune gave the objects to him. Kitsune didn't explain it so it was up to Joel to figure it out and he chose the life that he wanted.
Cosmacelf

Post by Cosmacelf »

NHWestoN wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:45 pm To underscore one of your points, Comsa, Kitsune did give Joel the choice of returning to his human form and very enjoyable human life in the bargain. He turned that down without blinking an eye, choosing instead a dog's life with the only guarantee being that he'd always be with Bailey. ;)
Good point! King chose his transformation to a dog via Pete's magic and an uncertain future over a predictable enjoyable human lifespan. We all know, of course, that we'd all make the same choice ;)
Cosmacelf

Post by Cosmacelf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:03 pm I have always wondered if Joel knew which choice was which when Kitsune gave the objects to him. Kitsune didn't explain it so it was up to Joel to figure it out and he chose the life that he wanted.
Joel had to figure it out. Kitsune gave him a big hint, so it wasn't too hard to figure out which choice was which. Based on his reaction, he got the life he wanted to get. He was overjoyed that he got turned back into a dog and was with Bailey.
Nightfirex

Post by Nightfirex »

Oh I knew he was a good guy from the start. He may be a pain and abrasive but I saw the good in him and just to see him able to toss Eudoant so easily made me feel confident to be a Paladin of the Team Pete!

Order of the Griffin Go!
f6011128c8be7050e9633fa83c975c44.jpg
f6011128c8be7050e9633fa83c975c44.jpg (42.38 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Cosmacelf wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:34 pm Pete was never evil. He was a pain in the butt, an annoying know-it-all and was resorting to desperate measures, but he stayed within the bounds of decency.

We first saw him trying to win over Grape via fun dreams. Gape was more than happy to be riding through the clouds on top of Pete. But Dragon interceded by, forcing I might remind you, Tarot to take a boyfriend she didn't even know. So in this skirmish, Pete's looking better than Dragon.

Then Joel is going to prison. And would have remained a bitter clueless person thereafter probably. Pete did actually do him a favor by turning him into a dog, even if Joel/King didn't appreciate it nor explicitly want it at the time. I'd be inclined to give Pete a pass here too.

OK, so next we have Pete trying to steal Joel/King's fate. To what end we don't know. However soon thereafter Pete is put on trial, gets punishment, and then can foresee that King's new girlfriend is going to play right into his hands. While King would have made a good Avatar due to age bonus, Bailey was tons better due to her natural athletic ability and the fact that she willingly did it for love of another, a big bonus. Pete just had to sit back and let things play out naturally after that. Pete just got lucky since King was going to run into Bailey at some point anyways, unless Pete somehow forced King to immediately fall in love with Bailey. Regardless, King/Bailey pairing up was in both their interests. So, again, I don't see much fault in what Pete did or didn't do here.

The only time that I remember that Pete was being unkind was soon after King turned into a dog and Pete was making King's life miserable. Pete was doing that to force King to submit to being his avatar, and as the heavenly judge wryly stated, he was getting pretty desperate at that point. It got taken out of Pete's hands at that point, King was sent to live with the wolves, etc.
Deliberately making someone's life miserable in order to force them to fight a holy war for him. And then when he wouldn't do it, taking his wife away from him and changing him back into a human when he knew that would cause nothing but trouble and put him at risk. Very decent.

And I'm sorry, but I'm not buying this "ends justify the means" angle. Yes, King ultimately decided he liked being a dog. And that's good. But that was never Pete's intention. Pete WANTED King to be miserable, even if he did submit to being his avatar. That was the whole point. Discontent was what fueled his power.

To put it another way, say that you shaved someone's head in order to humiliate them and emotionally manipulate them. As time goes on, though, they feel like they've come to enjoy the look and decide to stick with it. That doesn't absolve you for doing it in the first place, nor does it suddenly make your reasons noble and just.

Even heaven itself recognized what he was doing as wrong and sentenced him to several millennia of punishment. Only reason we still had to deal with him is because of the "subjective time" loophole.

And for that matter, don't think that I absolve Kitsune or Dragon either, because they have a lot of awful things to answer for, too. They're literally playing games with people's lives. Even if they could guarantee that death was off the table and that it was for what they claim to be the "greater good," that still is an awful thing to do. I'm sorry, but Eudoant is 100% right. You don't have to actively physically harm someone to have done evil.

The Nerds are at best flippant and negligent. And at worst, they are sociopathic manipulators.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Me watching y’all debate the morality of a group of fictional characters literally called “The Nerds” in a webcomic about funny animal people:
Introduce a little anarchy
Introduce a little anarchy
49A3A403-A110-4F47-8C65-DB8B728C2FB9.gif (307.73 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
Then again, I could join in on the fun and bring up a bunch of obscure theological concepts to make things even more confusing.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"Like flies to wanton boys are we to the gods ... they kill us for sport." Bill Shakespeare.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:18 am Me watching y’all debate the morality of a group of fictional characters literally called “The Nerds” in a webcomic about funny animal people:
What can I say? It's a fun topic to pick at. There's a whole cottage industry of people overexamining fictional characters in the world. X3
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If it was actually a viable career option it would have a lot of people in that field. Of course I wouldn't be one of them because I couldn't analyze a carrot.
Harry Johnathan

NHWestoN wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:05 am "Like flies to wanton boys are we to the gods ... they kill us for sport." Bill Shakespeare.
By referring to the Bard as “Bill”, you have led me down a Wikipedia rabbit-hole, where I discovered that the Man from Avon spelt his name differently on every legal document he touched, and there were 3 movements in American academia trying to simplify the English language to match pronunciations (i.e, “of” becomes “ov” and “Association” as “Ashoshiashun”).
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:07 pm
NHWestoN wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:05 am "Like flies to wanton boys are we to the gods ... they kill us for sport." Bill Shakespeare.
By referring to the Bard as “Bill”, you have led me down a Wikipedia rabbit-hole, where I discovered that the Man from Avon spelt his name differently on every legal document he touched, and there were 3 movements in American academia trying to simplify the English language to match pronunciations (i.e, “of” becomes “ov” and “Association” as “Ashoshiashun”).
Thereby creating a cottage industry of argumentation over a number of his plays as to whether or or not he was the actual author. Equally banal aside, Theodore Roosevelt was a big advocate of spelling reform and phonetics. Hope you're well, too, Harry.
Harry Johnathan

The Shakespeare authorship conspiracy theories have always troubled me, it seems rather elitist and hateful to suggest that a middle-class average joe like The Bard couldn’t write such incredible plays, no, it “had” to have been nobility like Francis Bacon or King James (which is hilarious as academics and nobles looked down on plays during this time period the same way one might dismiss soap operas or comic book movies).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:55 pm The Shakespeare authorship conspiracy theories have always troubled me, it seems rather elitist and hateful to suggest that a middle-class average joe like The Bard couldn’t write such incredible plays, no, it “had” to have been nobility like Francis Bacon or King James (which is hilarious as academics and nobles looked down on plays during this time period the same way one might dismiss soap operas or comic book movies).
King James? That King James?? Oooo...kay. :roll:
Frank

Post by Frank »

I knew there was something Eudoant wasn't going to get. And it's that Pete, Dragon, and Kitsune are not beholden to the same rules people who are actually part of this universe are

I am worried for Kix though
Cosmacelf wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:16 am It’s interesting that Pete and Dragon appear to be more powerful than Kitsune here…
It's more of a "by their powers combined" situation
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Frank wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:28 pm
It's more of a "by their powers combined" situation
And the fact he's been fighting Kitsune for a while To use a boxing analogy, an evil Joe Louis has been fighting Floyd Paterson for ten rounds to get to the button that sets off the nukes. Just when he's finally winning - tired out but winning - Rocky Marciano and Christina Hammer arrive to back Paterson up.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Basically Kitsune is still more powerful than Pete and Dragon but that is only when they are all at 100%. Right now I would say that Kitsune is probably at 20% and Pete and Dragon are at 100% now so naturally they would be stronger.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yeah, they're kinda "fresh to the fray" while ol'four-ears had to be worn down some what. Somehow, too, I thought you might change your avatar to Kitsune-chokehold, Amazz ( funny choice!).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I usually do it the first of the month but I forgot about it. Gonna have to make do with it being changed 3 days in.