2022/10/07 - Gone In A Flash

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

2022/10/07 - Gone In A Flash

Post by Obbl »

[ Gone In A Flash ]

Title Text: I blame you and your disgusting bodily functions

I see Rick's reprising his "And Then There were None" arc :?
Welsh Halfwit

Re: 2022/10/07 - Gone In A Flash

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

The main crew’s on the move,
going like it’s rehearsed,
and Craig ends up upon the back
of the last person Pete got cursed.
This all rotates through the Badger,
right back to the infernal game.
I wonder, if Craig were to know,
would the youngster feel Pete’s shame?
Breel takes the shot meant for them
and, hopefully, goes back upstairs.
They’ll feel the loss when they have time
but, right this moment? Neither cares.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
PhycoKrusk

Post by PhycoKrusk »

Well, uh... at least they don't bend around things like the Omega Beams, even if getting hit by them has the same effect....
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
vulpinator

Post by vulpinator »

2D143E32-7E21-4072-ABA2-EFE78EE66334.jpeg
2D143E32-7E21-4072-ABA2-EFE78EE66334.jpeg (17.83 KiB) Viewed 3903 times
NO!!!
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

And that, what, makes death number two or three for Breel?

Also, this seems to be leading to the NegaBreel ending I thought of (Recap: Negabreel reaches the mana pool first and turns into an 'manafied version' of himself. At first, Eudoant is happy that NB came to his senses and is asks him to help him fight. But, NB, feeling something for Keene, turns the table and stabs Eudoant. He asks why and NB will say something heartfelt before sending him back to the Netherworld. Once again, a repeat of Steward's ending (Resurrection, Reversing The Coin Changes, Lois and Marion remains the same), but NB, once back as regular old NB, asks Breel if they could merge into one so they can be whole once again. After some thought and talking to Keene, Breel agrees and he and NB merges back into his old-self, but still the person and Keene knows and loves. With all this done, Kitsune snaps them back to Egypt and arc ends). However, I'm also gonna have the door open that Keene may be the one to do it (as Breel is his boyfriend).
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Oh barf! Casualties are mounting. Not sure why dashing direct into Laser-Eyes gunsights contributes to overcoming an Infernal but it might give GK the diversion he needs to hit Eudoant with a devastating blow!

...... or not. :o
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I got a feeling that a lot of people will be using that heavenly boon to come back, a la Dragonball.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh no, this is getting more tragic! :shock: Right Breel had to be the next victim, what an hero... :cry: Yeah, as we know, they have to bring Craig and Draig to that mana inside Eudoant, with all the risks... :? Then we don't really know that will happen, but the fallen ones should live back again... I hope they'll succeed in this, but you could also do something with your power, bigger Tarot. :roll: Eheh, poor Craig, his stomach was still full. :P
Tinnier

Post by Tinnier »

Hmmm... I don't usually say much about running arcs actually. But I've gotten a bit skeptical about that now, I have a suspicion that they'll stay dead and Housepets could go on without them.

For two reasons: First, Rick has already announced that after the arc he will tell a different Housepets than what we already know. Sometimes characters get in the way of a restart and the easiest way to eliminate them would be to let them die. I can well imagine Breel reincarnating in his negative counterpart, but that could probably come with conditions like staying in heaven or something.

The second point is that I find it very strange (and have been since the beginning) that the main crew didn't move into this adventure (ie Peanut, Grape, Max, King, Fox, etc). If you look at the characters, apart from Tarot, Keene and Kitsune (possibly also Lois and Marion, since they had been given more time in the past), the others are only supporting characters. Why is he doing a main story mainly with only supporting characters? I found that strange from the start. Of course something like this has happened in the past, but not to this length and to such an extent. I guess for his reboot he wants to thin out the crew and just tell stories about the most important and interesting characters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter -> @tinnierArt
Cosmacelf

Post by Cosmacelf »

Tinnier wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:41 pm Hmmm... I don't usually say much about running arcs actually. But I've gotten a bit skeptical about that now, I have a suspicion that they'll stay dead and Housepets could go on without them.

For two reasons: First, Rick has already announced that after the arc he will tell a different Housepets than what we already know. Sometimes characters get in the way of a restart and the easiest way to eliminate them would be to let them die. I can well imagine Breel reincarnating in his negative counterpart, but that could probably come with conditions like staying in heaven or something.

The second point is that I find it very strange (and have been since the beginning) that the main crew didn't move into this adventure (ie Peanut, Grape, Max, King, Fox, etc). If you look at the characters, apart from Tarot, Keene and Kitsune (possibly also Lois and Marion, since they had been given more time in the past), the others are only supporting characters. Why is he doing a main story mainly with only supporting characters? I found that strange from the start. Of course something like this has happened in the past, but not to this length and to such an extent. I guess for his reboot he wants to thin out the crew and just tell stories about the most important and interesting characters.
I think this makes a lot of sense. All the characters except for Tarot, Keene and Kitsune were created just for this arc. So when this arc gets resolved, if they all end up in heaven, no big deal. Tarot and Kitsune only made sense as long as the game was being played, but it isn’t anymore. That just leaves Keene who isn’t going to have much of a purpose anymore now that he has realized how badly he can mess things up.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

With Breel now having been zapped and then dissolving into nothing this pretty much confirms that Todd is still alive and just poofed back to Heaven along with Breel. I don't think that Breel will be made an angel again.
Tinnier

Post by Tinnier »

Cosmacelf wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:47 pm
Tinnier wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:41 pm Hmmm... I don't usually say much about running arcs actually. But I've gotten a bit skeptical about that now, I have a suspicion that they'll stay dead and Housepets could go on without them.

I think this makes a lot of sense. All the characters except for Tarot, Keene and Kitsune were created just for this arc. So when this arc gets resolved, if they all end up in heaven, no big deal. Tarot and Kitsune only made sense as long as the game was being played, but it isn’t anymore. That just leaves Keene who isn’t going to have much of a purpose anymore now that he has realized how badly he can mess things up.
Yes, exactly! That's pretty much how I imagined it. I also see the key somehow in Keene's hands to accomplish this challenge and this task, I just don't know how exactly yet?

In addition, I noticed a third point, why everything might not go well this time and why the deceased might not return. Rick has stated many times that: "People expect the story to take this/that turn or the story to end like this or something like that". I don't think Rick will tell the story and let it end as usual this time. Also to show that the readers cannot and will not always foresee everything (which I think is good). As we've already seen, with this arc, he sets the direction in a very different way than what we've seen in the past. With this arc, even if it's not the strongest Housepets arc in my eyes (at least for the moment) and sometimes a little hectic and abruptly told, it still stands out tremendously from the past stories. Right from the start there is a generally oppressive, gloomy atmosphere and the mood is mostly serious. Even if there are funny moments, the arc is mostly somber and lacks the happy mood like e.g. from the Temple Crasher 2 arc. The various twists and events differed from previous stories in their type and way. While this arc is a little long winded at times, it often admits quite interesting twists that could already provide a glimpse of the stories and Housepets in general following this arc. In general, the entire story arc feels more "mature".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Tinnier wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:18 am

Yes, exactly! That's pretty much how I imagined it. I also see the key somehow in Keene's hands to accomplish this challenge and this task, I just don't know how exactly yet?

In addition, I noticed a third point, why everything might not go well this time and why the deceased might not return. Rick has stated many times that: "People expect the story to take this/that turn or the story to end like this or something like that". I don't think Rick will tell the story and let it end as usual this time. Also to show that the readers cannot and will not always foresee everything (which I think is good). As we've already seen, with this arc, he sets the direction in a very different way than what we've seen in the past. With this arc, even if it's not the strongest Housepets arc in my eyes (at least for the moment) and sometimes a little hectic and abruptly told, it still stands out tremendously from the past stories. Right from the start there is a generally oppressive, gloomy atmosphere and the mood is mostly serious. Even if there are funny moments, the arc is mostly somber and lacks the happy mood like e.g. from the Temple Crasher 2 arc. The various twists and events differed from previous stories in their type and way. While this arc is a little long winded at times, it often admits quite interesting twists that could already provide a glimpse of the stories and Housepets in general following this arc. In general, the entire story arc feels more "mature".
I'm inclined to agree with you gents on your projections. I've had the ominous feeling for a couple of years that - not to get bleak - that Rick has gotten a little tired of Housepets and wants to dirvert even more energy to other worlds and other projects. To me, until the sudden turn to the "killing fields - War in Heaven" side, I've found this most recent arc kinda duplicative - at least in the broad staging. Also, the newer characters have left me cold so I don't really care much what happens to them (although GK and Eudoant are always engaging in a Manichean sort of way). Some of that may just be the slower pacing that results from more infrequent posting.

But, hey, it's Rick's world and I'm just a guest here. His art skills have never been sharper, and Housepets is still one of the best. I'll stay for the ride, the adventure, the art, and the popcorn.
Tinnier

Post by Tinnier »

NHWestoN wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:59 am
Tinnier wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:18 am

I'm inclined to agree with you gents on your projections. I've had the ominous feeling for a couple of years that - not to get bleak - that Rick has gotten a little tired of Housepets and wants to dirvert even more energy to other worlds and other projects. To me, until the sudden turn to the "killing fields - War in Heaven" side, I've found this most recent arc kinda duplicative - at least in the broad staging. Also, the newer characters have left me cold so I don't really care much what happens to them (although GK and Eudoant are always engaging in a Manichean sort of way). Some of that may just be the slower pacing that results from more infrequent posting.

But, hey, it's Rick's world and I'm just a guest here. His art skills have never been sharper, and Housepets is still one of the best. I'll stay for the ride, the adventure, the art, and the popcorn.
Well, I have to admit that I've had this assumption for a while, I've just never publicly stated it. I only really noticed that little by little, more precisely from the spa arc onwards. I find that this cut between then and now was made after the Temple Crasher 2 arc, as everything that came after it was markedly different from the earlier works.

Right, it's Rick's world, that's out of the question and I'm not questioning that point. It's also right that he does what he wants, I support that too. What you do today doesn't have to mean that you do it with the same passion as you did 10 years ago. Yes, Housepets has been running for an internet comic for a very long time, but I don't think Rick has lost interest. I think he just wants to do things differently, things change in life, why should comics and fictional characters be any different? The only difference I see here, however, is the fact that he doesn't just do it for whim; after all, he must give from life what his hands and imagination give. And in such cases, the financial background is often decisive. And then it's just clear that you can't get everything under one roof and that not all wishes and needs can always be satisfied, both for the fans but primarily for him.

I've been with Housepets since 2012. I agree that Rick's graphic talet is at a peak, although personally I found the style around the years 2015-2018 to be the most appropriate for the characters and stories; but that is a matter of taste and up to you. I think the Housepets hype of the past is no longer as big as it is today. Years ago people talked a lot more about housepets. I think you hear less today than you did e.g. 5 years ago
Last edited by Tinnier on Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Tinnier wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:52 am Right, it's Rick's world, that's out of the question and I'm not questioning that point. It's also right that he does what he wants, I support that too. What you do today doesn't have to mean that you do it with the same passion as you did 10 years ago. Yes, Housepets has been running for an internet comic for a very long time, but I don't think Rick has lost interest. I think he just wants to do things differently, things change in life, why should comics and fictional characters be any different? The only difference I see here, however, is the fact that he doesn't just do it for whim; after all, he must give from life what his hands and imagination give. And in such cases, the financial background is often decisive. And then it's just clear that you can't get everything under one roof and that not all wishes and needs can always be satisfied, both for the fans but primarily for him.

I've been with Housepets since 2012. I agree that Rick's graphic talet is at a peak, although personally I found the style around the years 2015-2018 to be the most appropriate for the characters and stories; but that is a matter of taste and up to you. I think the Housepets hype of the past is no longer as big as it is today. Years ago people talked a lot more about housepets. I think you hear less today than you did e.g. 5 years ago.
(If I understand what you were saying) All Rick has said is that he won't be doing these long arcs for Housepets anymore (stuff like Heckraiser, Teenage Squirrel, etc) and, instead, returning Housepets to what it was in the past in regards to stories, which were smaller, simpler, slices of life stories. If Housepets itself was ending or he wasn't going to be using any off the old fan favorite characters anymore, he would've announced it way ahead of time. But, again, all he said is that he's not doing longform stories for Housepets anymore after this is over, so all our favorite characters will still be there and OK (like my favorite King, Bailey, and their pups). He has stated that there are more stories he wants to tell within the HP Universe, so, again, only thing that's changing is more smaller stories and no long arcs.

Now I do want to take some time and say this: I've been noticing some distress amongst everyone here with the past few arcs, especially this one what with it's higher stakes and darker tone and I also understand why everyone is both on edge and worried about what's next. Trust me, I know where you guys are coming from (I went through the same thing during Heaven's Not Enough). But, and I personally noticed this with the Teenage Squirrel arc as well, when these types of stories do happen in HP, there seems to be an influx of, well, downer and darker posts, with some possibly bringing some depressing thoughts to other readers. Yes, it's fun to speculate what's going to happen next I mean, I did it a few forums ago with how I think this arc is gonna end. But there is a point when speculation can turn rather dour and start affecting folks negatively. I'm not saying in anyway that you guys should stop speculating and posting, oh dog no. I'm just saying that maybe you guys could lighten up just a smidgen. Yes, you can still speculate what's going to happen in this arc, wonder what new stories Rick's gonna tell after Heckraiser, figure out which of Olive's future boyfriends will give King a heart-attack (That may just be me), or wonder when your favorite ship will become cannon. Just, remember that not everyone who comes to this forum wants to be saddened/depressed/worried :)
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Tinnier

Post by Tinnier »

SeanWolf wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:36 am

Tinnier wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:52 am Right, it's Rick's world, that's out of the question and I'm not questioning that point. It's also right that he does what he wants, I support that too. What you do today doesn't have to mean that you do it with the same passion as you did 10 years ago. Yes, Housepets has been running for an internet comic for a very long time, but I don't think Rick has lost interest. I think he just wants to do things differently, things change in life, why should comics and fictional characters be any different? The only difference I see here, however, is the fact that he doesn't just do it for whim; after all, he must give from life what his hands and imagination give. And in such cases, the financial background is often decisive. And then it's just clear that you can't get everything under one roof and that not all wishes and needs can always be satisfied, both for the fans but primarily for him.

I've been with Housepets since 2012. I agree that Rick's graphic talet is at a peak, although personally I found the style around the years 2015-2018 to be the most appropriate for the characters and stories; but that is a matter of taste and up to you. I think the Housepets hype of the past is no longer as big as it is today. Years ago people talked a lot more about housepets. I think you hear less today than you did e.g. 5 years ago.
(If I understand what you were saying) All Rick has said is that he won't be doing these long arcs for Housepets anymore (stuff like Heckraiser, Teenage Squirrel, etc) and, instead, returning Housepets to what it was in the past in regards to stories, which were smaller, simpler, slices of life stories. If Housepets itself was ending or he wasn't going to be using any off the old fan favorite characters anymore, he would've announced it way ahead of time. But, again, all he said is that he's not doing longform stories for Housepets anymore after this is over, so all our favorite characters will still be there and OK (like my favorite King, Bailey, and their pups). He has stated that there are more stories he wants to tell within the HP Universe, so, again, only thing that's changing is more smaller stories and no long arcs.

Now I do want to take some time and say this: I've been noticing some distress amongst everyone here with the past few arcs, especially this one what with it's higher stakes and darker tone and I also understand why everyone is both on edge and worried about what's next. Trust me, I know where you guys are coming from (I went through the same thing during Heaven's Not Enough). But, and I personally noticed this with the Teenage Squirrel arc as well, when these types of stories do happen in HP, there seems to be an influx of, well, downer and darker posts, with some possibly bringing some depressing thoughts to other readers. Yes, it's fun to speculate what's going to happen next I mean, I did it a few forums ago with how I think this arc is gonna end. But there is a point when speculation can turn rather dour and start affecting folks negatively. I'm not saying in anyway that you guys should stop speculating and posting, oh dog no. I'm just saying that maybe you guys could lighten up just a smidgen. Yes, you can still speculate what's going to happen in this arc, wonder what new stories Rick's gonna tell after Heckraiser, figure out which of Olive's future boyfriends will give King a heart-attack (That may just be me), or wonder when your favorite ship will become cannon. Just, remember that not everyone who comes to this forum wants to be saddened/depressed/worried :)
You're right, Rick said he won't be doing those huge arcs anymore, that's okay too. But no, that's not really what I meant. I also didn't aim for an end to HP or for the main character to drop out (but you never know, nothing has to last forever).

Hehe^^, right again, the basic mood is mostly depressive since the last arcs. But that's not how I described it. Clear! Everything can't always be light and fluffy, and not everyone necessarily wants all stories to go that way. I also read the other comments in the forum, yes they are more depressed and upset than usual, but that's not because it's being discussed so depressively, but because the story as we receive it is just dark, depressed and upset and that is why the basic mood during discussions is also reflected in this way by the majority; with a funny arc that would of course be the opposite. It's also okay that not everyone likes, feels well, and is skeptical and grumpy about every arc. Opinions vary, but HP has always been like that.

No! Of course, I don't want to look too far into the future, which I actually didn't do. But with everything Rick has told us so far, this may be a glimpse into the future of the comics I don't mean the gloomy mood, that's only the case at the moment, with this arc. Also, Rick announced that HP will be different from what we've seen before and that what we've already seen might be a first look.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sidebar: Current Las Vagas betting odds are that Olive's crush will be Pueblo. Second is a new, younger character from Miles' Wolf Pack. There are also miniscule positions being taken on Kevin, GK, and Bino. Although regarded as trivial side bets, gamblers are goin in heavy that, should such an arc emerge, the stated contenders will die horribly at the hands of Sasha, Kix, and Duchess respectively.

Small positions are also being taken on Jeeves adopting one of the puppies because he has secretly dreamed of having his own dog.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Seeing Jeeves with a dog would be really cute. Just hope the dog also doesn't have to be a butler.
Frank

Post by Frank »

...I just came here to say "rest in peace again, breel"

but, cookies and muffins, have you people dug a deep meta rabbit hole!
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
MischaTheWolf

Post by MischaTheWolf »

If Breel’s dead I’m not too concerned about him. He’ll be having a hunky dory time in heaven and be reunited with Keene in a snap, because time goes by a thousand times quicker in heaven.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

But if he is made to be dead again can he be revived like he was before or is he stuck this time? That is what I want to know.
Cosmacelf

Post by Cosmacelf »

Hmmm. That would be the ultimate bad ending, and frankly correct narrative arc, for Keene’s arrogance, wouldn’t it? Keene still living, but Breel gone, now permanently. And you can’t off yourself Keene, that would take you to the bad place.

We better get a new strip soon or else this thread is going to get even more morbid.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

I mean, Keene is the only character who actually tries to fix the incredibly disturbing dystopia Rick accidently created.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
MischaTheWolf

Post by MischaTheWolf »

Dystopian is definitely a word that can be used to describe the Housepets Universe lol. But thing is, 95% of pets seem happy to be in their position beneath humans and that confuses me, a lot.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Many are provided care, food, and shelter. To many them, that seems enough to be content with. Wanting more seems to be a rare trait.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... and there's a lot to be said for contentment. And cupcakes. Rex would insist on adding "cupcakes."
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hey if the cupcakes are the best cupcakes ever which they might be if Rex makes them I can see why he would. :P
MischaTheWolf

Post by MischaTheWolf »

Hmm, I think you are right Rock. I take back what I said, they seem safe and happy, so getting equal status through something like the ECP might not be at the top of their bucket list.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

MischaTheWolf wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:27 pm Hmm, I think you are right Rock. I take back what I said, they seem safe and happy, so getting equal status through something like the ECP might not be at the top of their bucket list.
Elimination of wearing leash mandates for zoo admission - although we haven't been to the zoo for a few years.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We don't even know what sort of changes have been happening at the zoo at this point. Did Poncho ever find a girlfriend to replace his crush on Gale?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Not sure I remember the last time we ever saw Poncho ... Or Gale, for that matter. :? :cry:
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

D-Rock wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:52 am Many are provided care, food, and shelter. To many them, that seems enough to be content with. Wanting more seems to be a rare trait.
Still, they're like, sentient beings on the level of humans, and while the early parts of the comic depict them as being childlike, which made things a lot less icky, this characterization was abandoned really quickly.

I don't think Rick was intentionally trying to insert any unfortunate political themes or anything though. He started the comic as a simple vehicle to tell jokes, the worldbuilding didn't really matter.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is most likely what ended up happening. I don't think that Rick thought that people would dig deeper to find the implications. I actually wonder if Rick thought there would be any.