2022/09/27 - Rousing Speech

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2022/09/27 - Rousing Speech

Post by D-Rock »

[ 2022/09/27 - Rousing Speech ]

Title Text: (affectionate, frustrated)

…well…[censored]…
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
PhycoKrusk

Re: 2022/09/27 - Rousing Speech

Post by PhycoKrusk »

So, like, we all saw the same thing, right? He's just smoke now, right?
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

He ded
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

And so, Todd stands,
Like L in the Deep blue sea,
encouraging the others...
He didn't see that film, did he?
He marked his importance
so Euodant marked the floor;
reminding all and sundry
that, to him, this is war!
The run begins, shots fired,
The race towards the mana.
Now whose plan is this really?
On our side, who's the planner?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

Someone crit failed their saving throw.

Well, hey! He's been to Heaven before, so orientation should be a cinch!
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Okay, this is really funny.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

Red dead Panda
vulpinator

Post by vulpinator »

Inb4 he was turned into a cockroach or a snail.
Also how in the world did Tarot manage to do that?
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Welp, he's dead.

This does lead me to a theory of how this arc will end (Prep some popcorn, this will be pretty long).

We see on this page that Eudoant has the ability to, pretty much, zap someone into nothingness, as we seen with Todd. With that little encouragement from Tarot on the last panel, everyone will start running to the mana pool, trying to get Draig and Craig to the pool in order for them to help Kitsune. HOWEVER! I don't think neither Draig or Craig will make it to the mana pool. Instead, what I think will happen is either Eudoant will get a clean shot at those two and take 'em out OR, during his and Kitsune's struggle, Kitsune will accidently hit Eudoant as he's getting ready to fire and have him hit the pups and Kix. Either way, again, I don't believe Draig or Craig will be the ones to use the pool. Why do I think this? Well, based on who we've been focusing on for the past few arcs, I believe it'll either be Marion, Steward, or NegaBreel who'll enter the mana pool and, in the end, defeating Eudoant and, possibly, reversing the damage he did.

Ending Theory 1: Marion
We've seen many times that Marion wants to be human again, right? Well, earlier in the Heckraiser arc, along with the ending of the 'I Was A Teenage Squirrel' arc, there was a brief moment of him thinking that, maybe, being a squirrel isn't a bad thing. At first, he does think the fight is useless now, since the pups are gone, but then? Lois get zapped, triggering something within him. So, Marion decides to 'make the ultimate sacrifice' and leaps into the pool to fight Euodant. He succeeds and Kitsune begins to reverse the damages. However, Marion has two requests: To bring back those who were zapped, in their animal forms (or, in the pups case, as pups), and to remain a squirrel. Kitsune or Bahumat (whoever is doing the reversing in this ending) agrees and does just that.

Ending Theory 2: Steward
This one goes back to an old theory I've been having ever since this arc started. Again, pups get zapped however, this time? Tarot tries to reach it but Eudoant fires at her. Though she dodges it, she still gets hit a bit and is severely wounded. Realizing everything that had happened leading up to this moment has, entirely, been his fault, Steward races like mad to the mana pool and leaps in, turning into his 'demon' self once again but minus the butt-wings (heh). He fights and, once again, beats Eudoant. Once that's over, he realizes, thanks to the mana, he can reverse his and Eudoant damages and begins to do just that, including resurrecting both the pups and Todd. He then begins to reverse the coins effects, but both Marion and Lois asks to remain as they are and, even though he was the one who cursed them and does try to get them to change their mind, he simply nods and allows them to be animals. But, even with all the good he just did, he realizes that it won't be enough and, with permission from Kitsune, decides to stay in the void and watch over the mana pool to make sure nothing like this ever happens again, before sending the crew back to Egypt.

Ending Theory 3: Negabreel
This one's sorta similar to Steward but with a few changes (including the theory that Eudoant never hit the pups with the beam). Negabreel reaches the mana pool first and turns into an 'manafied version' of himself. At first, Eudoant is happy that NB came to his senses and is asks him to help him fight. But, NB, feeling something for Keene, turns the table and stabs Eudoant. He asks why and NB will say something heartfelt before sending him back to the Netherworld. Once again, a repeat of Steward's ending (Resurrection, Reversing The Coin Changes, Lois and Marion remains the same), but NB, once back as regular old NB, asks Breel if they could merge into one so they can be whole once again. After some thought and talking to Keene, Breel agrees and he and NB merges back into his old-self, but still the person and Keene knows and loves. With all this done, Kitsune snaps them back to Egypt and arc ends.

Now, which ending do I think will happen? Well, to be honest, I believe the second makes the most sense, seeing as this whole thing was started by Steward and it would make sense for him to fix this whole mess, not the Celestials. Even though we've seen that Kitsune is a competent fighter, this is how I think this arc will end (again, based on evidence from past pages and this page, espically). So, as a tl;dr Draig and Craig won't reach the mana pool and either Marion, Steward, or Negabreel will reach the mana pool and win the fight.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Cosmacelf

Post by Cosmacelf »

Nice storylines! I think it’ll be door #3. More heart.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Toasty!

Sucks for Todd. How is Tarot going to explain this one to his mother? or anyone?
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

Wait how did Tarot do that?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

CryosR wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:54 am Wait how did Tarot do that?
Angrily, I think.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
MischaTheWolf

Post by MischaTheWolf »

Im still on arc 124, so idk if i can comment on this, but she usually has magic powers. Especially when she’s on a mission somewhere.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well I guess that is the end of Todd at least for now. I wonder if he will be brought back like how King Neptune brought back Patrick in that SpongeBob episode where his face was his back door? :lol:
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Uh-oh! :shock: Yeah, Todd, it's how you said, but you didn't care of the really high danger with a such demoniac creature... :? I'm not surprised he heard you, and you've been a bit too annoying since the beginning, honestly, and this costed your life. :( Wow, Tarot, you look like you want them to risk their lives... :o Don't make her angry. :P So, we need Craig and Draig to get at that Spirit Dragon's mana pool, having them dead too, I guess... :cry: I wish Todd could come back alive, then, and maybe also as human.
vulpinator

Post by vulpinator »

MischaTheWolf wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:42 am Im still on arc 124, so idk if i can comment on this, but she usually has magic powers. Especially when she’s on a mission somewhere.
She only had them because she was Dragon’s avatar, and the one time she didn’t, she was in a magic temple where hats gave you supernatural powers. I really do not understand what happened here other than she just morphed through sheer frustration.
Were Jack

Post by Were Jack »

Either Todd is dead or Rick is trolling us. The cockroach theory, another user mentioned is usual "ha, I got You" when an author want viewer to think someone was dead. I'm not believing that until it's confirmed. I want to see his body. Or... ashes in this case. Otherwise I consider him alive.

Also... why did Tarot has her powers? She said is herself, no temple, no powers. Or will she surprise herself in the next strip?

Though, I would laugh if the next strip will be Todd staying near the King or something. Because if I recall, he was in Heaven, worrying about fake happiness, there.

Also as annoying he was, he was interesting character from the technical standpoint. He was a comic relief and that's important part of a story with lots of humor. I actually like him. He is no harm, so why not? he likes to brag about stuff, but he is harmless.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

vulpinator wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:50 pm
MischaTheWolf wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:42 am Im still on arc 124, so idk if i can comment on this, but she usually has magic powers. Especially when she’s on a mission somewhere.
She only had them because she was Dragon’s avatar, and the one time she didn’t, she was in a magic temple where hats gave you supernatural powers. I really do not understand what happened here other than she just morphed through sheer frustration.
Kitsune did say she'd keep traces of the power though.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
vulpinator

Post by vulpinator »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:12 pm
vulpinator wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:50 pm
Kitsune did say she'd keep traces of the power though.
Ahhhh thank you, all I remembered was a strip with her walking casually up to the door to let a chased Fox in and saying “oh that wasn’t ESP, I saw you out the window” or something similar.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Yup, she and Sabrina have their own amount of power. It’s just no longer getting a divine ubercharge.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Nightfirex

Post by Nightfirex »

Wow.. just wow. even at a paladin that speech was... quite bad. Well I guess the demon now knows they are there and now it going to be a tough battle from here on out. Also I see that Tarot still have some of that mana power leftover, neat.. or is this from something else?
dire

Post by dire »

Is this the first on-screen death for the comic? Like, ever?

I'm going to wager even money that either

1) Todd did -not- get vaporized or killed, and is lying on the ground going, "Ow."

2) Dragon and Griffon get vaporized, removing their mortal restrictions and allowing them to join the fight as demigods. Arc ends with Cerberus asking, "You want me to resurrect -how many- people?"
PhycoKrusk

Post by PhycoKrusk »

SeanWolf wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:59 am Welp, he's dead.

This does lead me to a theory of how this arc will end (Prep some popcorn, this will be pretty long).

We see on this page that Eudoant has the ability to, pretty much, zap someone into nothingness, as we seen with Todd. With that little encouragement from Tarot on the last panel, everyone will start running to the mana pool, trying to get Draig and Craig to the pool in order for them to help Kitsune. HOWEVER! I don't think neither Draig or Craig will make it to the mana pool. Instead, what I think will happen is either Eudoant will get a clean shot at those two and take 'em out OR, during his and Kitsune's struggle, Kitsune will accidently hit Eudoant as he's getting ready to fire and have him hit the pups and Kix. Either way, again, I don't believe Draig or Craig will be the ones to use the pool. Why do I think this? Well, based on who we've been focusing on for the past few arcs, I believe it'll either be Marion, Steward, or NegaBreel who'll enter the mana pool and, in the end, defeating Eudoant and, possibly, reversing the damage he did.

Ending Theory 1: Marion
We've seen many times that Marion wants to be human again, right? Well, earlier in the Heckraiser arc, along with the ending of the 'I Was A Teenage Squirrel' arc, there was a brief moment of him thinking that, maybe, being a squirrel isn't a bad thing. At first, he does think the fight is useless now, since the pups are gone, but then? Lois get zapped, triggering something within him. So, Marion decides to 'make the ultimate sacrifice' and leaps into the pool to fight Euodant. He succeeds and Kitsune begins to reverse the damages. However, Marion has two requests: To bring back those who were zapped, in their animal forms (or, in the pups case, as pups), and to remain a squirrel. Kitsune or Bahumat (whoever is doing the reversing in this ending) agrees and does just that.

Ending Theory 2: Steward
This one goes back to an old theory I've been having ever since this arc started. Again, pups get zapped however, this time? Tarot tries to reach it but Eudoant fires at her. Though she dodges it, she still gets hit a bit and is severely wounded. Realizing everything that had happened leading up to this moment has, entirely, been his fault, Steward races like mad to the mana pool and leaps in, turning into his 'demon' self once again but minus the butt-wings (heh). He fights and, once again, beats Eudoant. Once that's over, he realizes, thanks to the mana, he can reverse his and Eudoant damages and begins to do just that, including resurrecting both the pups and Todd. He then begins to reverse the coins effects, but both Marion and Lois asks to remain as they are and, even though he was the one who cursed them and does try to get them to change their mind, he simply nods and allows them to be animals. But, even with all the good he just did, he realizes that it won't be enough and, with permission from Kitsune, decides to stay in the void and watch over the mana pool to make sure nothing like this ever happens again, before sending the crew back to Egypt.

Ending Theory 3: Negabreel
This one's sorta similar to Steward but with a few changes (including the theory that Eudoant never hit the pups with the beam). Negabreel reaches the mana pool first and turns into an 'manafied version' of himself. At first, Eudoant is happy that NB came to his senses and is asks him to help him fight. But, NB, feeling something for Keene, turns the table and stabs Eudoant. He asks why and NB will say something heartfelt before sending him back to the Netherworld. Once again, a repeat of Steward's ending (Resurrection, Reversing The Coin Changes, Lois and Marion remains the same), but NB, once back as regular old NB, asks Breel if they could merge into one so they can be whole once again. After some thought and talking to Keene, Breel agrees and he and NB merges back into his old-self, but still the person and Keene knows and loves. With all this done, Kitsune snaps them back to Egypt and arc ends.

Now, which ending do I think will happen? Well, to be honest, I believe the second makes the most sense, seeing as this whole thing was started by Steward and it would make sense for him to fix this whole mess, not the Celestials. Even though we've seen that Kitsune is a competent fighter, this is how I think this arc will end (again, based on evidence from past pages and this page, espically). So, as a tl;dr Draig and Craig won't reach the mana pool and either Marion, Steward, or Negabreel will reach the mana pool and win the fight.
Personally, my hope would be for Tarot, if only because she will finally get to actualize the destiny she was literally raised to fulfill. It'd be a fitting note to end her character arc on.
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

Now I'm wondering how many of them will survive this battle. I'm worried because I don't know if Eudoant can destroy souls since it seems like that would have to be on the table for him to be a real threat, maybe? Guess we'll see
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If anybody else gets zapped and turned into a plume of smoke its safe to say they will be brought back. I can't see Rick killing characters like that willy-nilly.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

PhycoKrusk wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:02 pm Personally, my hope would be for Tarot, if only because she will finally get to actualize the destiny she was literally raised to fulfill. It'd be a fitting note to end her character arc on.
I had thought of her but, honestly, these three seem to be a better choice. Tarot, I felt, was always too selfish in her ways and character on a whole and I never felt she evolved past that. I could be wrong and she could end up saving the day but, right now, I'm thinking it's going to be one of those three (NegaBreel, Marion, or Steward), just based on evidence from past strips.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

For all we know, it could be a combination of those three. Or them and also Tarot. :)
Harry Johnathan

SeanWolf wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:38 pm Tarot, I felt, was always too selfish in her ways and character on a whole and I never felt she evolved past that.
I disagree. Tarot was groomed from a young age by, well, everyone to be this grand cosmic hero and then Pete had the bright idea to mess with King, which kickstarted a chain of events that led to the Game being forcibly shut down, and she never got to be the Hero she was always told she was gonna be, so she felt useless and cheated. It's less her being selfish and more of an Identity crisis, like the "smart kid" in school who peaks there and never achieves anything in life because everyone was hyping him up unrealistically and didn't prepare him for the adult world.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That does sound about right with how Tarot is characterized. I really do hope she finds her own way if not being the hero here.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:35 am I disagree. Tarot was groomed from a young age by, well, everyone to be this grand cosmic hero and then Pete had the bright idea to mess with King, which kickstarted a chain of events that led to the Game being forcibly shut down, and she never got to be the Hero she was always told she was gonna be, so she felt useless and cheated. It's less her being selfish and more of an Identity crisis, like the "smart kid" in school who peaks there and never achieves anything in life because everyone was hyping him up unrealistically and didn't prepare him for the adult world.
Hm, I see where you're coming from and it does make sense. While I'm personally still holding to my previous three predictions, I can see Tarot being the one now to save the day.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

SeanWolf wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:27 am
Harry Johnathan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:35 am I disagree. Tarot was groomed from a young age by, well, everyone to be this grand cosmic hero and then Pete had the bright idea to mess with King, which kickstarted a chain of events that led to the Game being forcibly shut down, and she never got to be the Hero she was always told she was gonna be, so she felt useless and cheated. It's less her being selfish and more of an Identity crisis, like the "smart kid" in school who peaks there and never achieves anything in life because everyone was hyping him up unrealistically and didn't prepare him for the adult world.
Hm, I see where you're coming from and it does make sense. While I'm personally still holding to my previous three predictions, I can see Tarot being the one now to save the day.
To some extent, I do think Harry is on the right track with Tarot's arc... However, I don't think this will result in Tarot being the big hero and saving the day. That doesn't feel like what this is building up to. Tarot is a character who is trying to overlook her own rather massive character flaws. In spite of her self-perception, she has had a history of being selfish, conceited, judgmental, and reckless. I feel like the whole point is that Tarot doesn't really understand what being a hero is supposed to look like. She knows what it's like to have powers, but she's simply not a self-sacrificing or noble person, and I don't really think she's intended to be portrayed as such.

Which is why I think her arc has been very well-written over the years. There was always a contrast between her - who yearns for power to the point of being Dragon's (semi-literal) lapdog and just going along with it, and someone like Bailey, who only takes the mantle entirely to protect her husband. Or King, for that matter, who saw the game for what it was and did what it took to stop it; not knowing if he would even be able to continue living the life he wanted.

Make no mistake, King is also a very flawed character (by design), but what makes him different is that unlike Tarot, nothing was handed to him on a silver platter. He has spent a huge portion of his runtime dealing with tons of misfortune. King grumbles and complains and tends to distrust good fortune because he's had a really sucky life in his past. But when push came to shove, he did learn to TRY and do the right thing when his time came.

Getting back to Tarot, I might be off-base, but the way I'm understanding Tarot's character arc... She still thinks she *is* a part of the game in a way; trying to play a role she liked having, whether she was cut out for it or not. She sees herself as the party leader, and most people just go along with it because she has slightly more understanding of what's happening. But because she lacks the power she got used to having, she's developed an inferiority complex. The powers she had stood in the way of her finding what would actually make her grow as a person.

The point is, if this DOES end up with Tarot saving the day, it will have to be through genuine growth and sacrifice; not from going Kaioken x 3 the way she's doing now. What she's doing now is falling back on what she thinks being a hero is - just being super strong and taking charge of everyone. I feel there will be a rude awakening when she realizes how little that matters when dealing with literal demigods.

Just my two cents. I might be off-base, but to me that feels like what her character has been intended to be.

TL;DR: The way I understand Tarot's character arc... If she saves the day, it will be in spite of her powers and history; not because of them. Those things have stood in the way of her genuine growth as a person.
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

This arc is the consequences of Kitsune not cleaning up the mess left beyond after the game; the mana pools and the cursed coins in particular. Also not doing his job and making sure demons didn't invade such as stopping negabreel.

I think Tarot plays into that. Tarot's entire life was shaped by the game, and then the game ended and Kitsune just left her high and dry.

I don't think that Tarot has a human owner and she had a job and lost after the end of the game. Even in the pet community, she was defined heavily by her magic and connection the game, and didn't really seem to fit in with many people except the hyper-accepting Peanut.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Her trying to fit in probably is why she feels so alienated in that case then. She wants to find her purpose and have friends but Kitsune pretty much just ended it and didn't think of the emotional consequences it would have for Tarot. I do feel for her.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Yeah, that is a good point. The Nerds really did do her dirty with the abrupt ending to things. From that perspective, it really is hard to blame Tarot for the difficulties she's been having adjusting to things. While I don't think it absolves her, it definitely adds more perspective.

Say what you will about Eudoant... He is definitely on-point calling Kitsune out on things.

Call me hopelessly optimistic (if you enjoy oxymorons, that is), but I kinda-sorta want the two of them to find a middle ground somehow and make peace between Heaven and Hell. Would be an interesting way to end things for sure!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm wondering if that is even something that is possible. Since in most religions Hell is a place for the condemned to suffer for not atoning for their misdeeds.
Harry Johnathan

Purgatory is probably what they were thinking of, and that's largely a Catholic thing.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:55 am Purgatory is probably what they were thinking of, and that's largely a Catholic thing.
I'm not thinking of any "place," as the religion depicted in this universe is kind of its own unique thing. There are certainly Christian allegories (direct and indirect), but apart from the names "Heaven" and "Hell," it's not really any one religious perspective on the concepts.

And since it's not based on any one, specific mythology/religion, it's able to create its own rules and outcomes.

When I say they can find a middle ground between Heaven and Hell, I wasn't speaking literally. I'm talking about how both sides of this war are obviously flawed and neither is explicitly "right" or "wrong" in this. The Nerds are a very clear example that the denizens of Heaven don't really necessarily hold the ethical high ground on everything. There's shades of grey here, and that's why I feel the most interesting way to end the arc is by subverting the "good guys" (who aren't exactly good) beating the "bad guys" (who have some level of morality themselves, albeit harsher and more pessimistic) and instead having them find a way to resolve the war peacefully.
Harry Johnathan

Ryusuta wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:27 am I'm talking about how both sides of this war are obviously flawed and neither is explicitly "right" or "wrong" in this.
I'm pretty sure "trying to destroy the world" and "being a buffoon" are on entirely different sides of morality.