My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sounds like you might like the show when it comes on then. You will have to give us your opinion on it!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Anyone still "playin' the Ponies"?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Somehow I don't think the new iteration that has premiered after the last one is as popular. :|
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:54 am Somehow I don't think the new iteration that has premiered after the last one is as popular. :|
Haven't seen the new one ... I enjoyed the original but wandered away after a while.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

When you say the original, do you mean the FIRST one ever which was from 1982 to 1995 or the previous one which was 2010 to 2021?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

1982-1995. As oft'happens, my daughters introduced me to the Ponies and both were fans. Eleanor still has four or five of the Hasbro latex dolls which were very well made. They were a nice size, felt good in your hand, and had manes and tails for combing. Watching the shows with them was something I could do. Ellie also got me into the Animaniacs and the newer Warner Brothers cartoons (which I grew up on - 1950s Saturday morning extravaganzas `cause the networks had nothing else to show).

Sadly, like the Strawberry Shortcake playtoys, the later manufactures were of lower quality and I used to get them "second hand" from a toy dealer. Ellie got back into them in college for a while - Ruth liked Adventure Time but that never stuck with me.

Sorry, Amaz, windy answer to a terse question. Old guys do that. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its fine. I had asked the question. You were just answering it. No need to apologize. I was just curious.

Still it is just WILD to see how many generations there were of the franchise. Generation 1 was 1982 to 1995. Generation 2 was 1997 to 1999. Generation 3 was 2003 to 2009. Generation 4 was 2010 to 2021 and we are now in Generation 5.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Watched a couple of the cartoons today - still cute.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I imagine that they all would be. Plus they appeal to all age demographics also!
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

I watched the first three seasons of Gen 4 and after that I actually went back to watch every series of MLP that had come out before that and was surprised to see that the G1 cartoon was both really dark and had regular long story arcs of 4-10 episodes (11-minutes episodes but still) instead of stand-alones. I have looked at G5 and honestly I am at least they kept the more mature setup of G4 instead of reverting to stereotypical "girly" cartoon stuff from G3, but the fact that G5 is a sequel to G4 and doesn't stand on its own has turned me away from watching it especially once I learned why G5 is the way it is and it left me angry
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

CryosR wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:42 am I watched the first three seasons of Gen 4 and after that I actually went back to watch every series of MLP that had come out before that and was surprised to see that the G1 cartoon was both really dark and had regular long story arcs of 4-10 episodes (11-minutes episodes but still) instead of stand-alones. I have looked at G5 and honestly I am at least they kept the more mature setup of G4 instead of reverting to stereotypical "girly" cartoon stuff from G3, but the fact that G5 is a sequel to G4 and doesn't stand on its own has turned me away from watching it especially once I learned why G5 is the way it is and it left me angry
Out of curiosity, what was the background on G-5, if i may ask, CryosR? This is unknoen history to me. :?:
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

NHWestoN wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:08 am
CryosR wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:42 am I watched the first three seasons of Gen 4 and after that I actually went back to watch every series of MLP that had come out before that and was surprised to see that the G1 cartoon was both really dark and had regular long story arcs of 4-10 episodes (11-minutes episodes but still) instead of stand-alones. I have looked at G5 and honestly I am at least they kept the more mature setup of G4 instead of reverting to stereotypical "girly" cartoon stuff from G3, but the fact that G5 is a sequel to G4 and doesn't stand on its own has turned me away from watching it especially once I learned why G5 is the way it is and it left me angry
Out of curiosity, what was the background on G-5, if i may ask, CryosR? This is unknoen history to me. :?:
At some point after the end of Friendship is Magic, Princess Twilight Sparkle encountered a villain who wanted to steal the magic of all ponies... I mean a second one after Tirek (who was defeated by her and her friends) so she decided to seal away all magic effectively crippling the Unicorns and Pegasi (who likely had to abandon their literal cloud cities) to keep this second magic stealing villain from using all the magic, ten sealed the entire country in a magic dome so no one could get in or out. Earth Ponies thrived and advanced to roughly modern technology (smart phones included) while the Unicorns languished in their forests and Pegasi couldn't fly. Also all three pony races are racist against each other, thinking horrible things about each other.

I won't rant more about this and correct me if I'm wrong but hoenstly if this was a standalone series I would give it a chance, tying it to G4 just makes Twilight come across as a moron since this should have brought back the Windigoes, but I'll stop before I go into a massive rant
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Thanks for the enlightenment, Cy.

Seems like there was an eruption of "Trapped-Under-The-Dome" epics around the turn of the century. Was one of those trends that arose in the wake of the purported not-failure of Y2K, as I remember. (Just a joke, friends, just a joke.)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

So ... have the ponies finally ridden off into the sunset?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

NHWestoN wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:11 pm So ... have the ponies finally ridden off into the sunset?
Honestly, I'm still watching G5 but it is clearly not as good as G4 there just isn't really that much to talk about. It's occasionally good but mostly just kind of meh.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sometimes the next show isn't as good as the previous show and so it isn't talked about as much. That is what I gleamed from the activity in this topic anyway so I might be wrong.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The law of diminishing returns, maybe. Maybe the ponies have just been ridden too long and too hard. It wouldn't be the first time an outstanding program was prolonged even as its creativity and vivacity relentless degraded.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its pretty sad that some programs will continue on until the ratings are in the toilet. I just hope that if they want to continue on with the Ponies they find a way to keep it fresh and interesting.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Hey the newest episode of Tell Your Tale had some actual plot progression and it was pretty darn good. Misty I think is basically the most interesting character in G5 and this episode really shows it off IMO. I also loved the corrupted/opposite versions of the Mane 5, it was very neat. If you haven't seen it yet I would suggest watching it, likely the best episode of TYT in a while. I just wish we had gotten some explanation on how how the amulet worked/was made but that is likely for the upcoming special.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hoping that they will explain it for the audience. I hate when plot points like this are left dangling.