An explanation for my sporadic posting as of late

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Harry Johnathan

An explanation for my sporadic posting as of late

Post by Harry Johnathan »

I am just becoming rapidly disillusioned with life. Everyone already knows about my struggles with OCD, my awful dog problem last year and that I've basically abandoned the actual Housepets comic after that dreadful August last year, and since then I became very heavily involved with politics and even more involved with religion than I was previously, and it's just bumming me out now. I see everything in such a dark light and can't enjoy, well, anything anymore, and I've become easily annoyed and agressive recently (I have to stop myself from making deranged angry responses to posts that "annoy me" here), and I have this crippling procrastination problem, can't get any writing or art done. I've just become a pretentious jerk. You guys probably haven't seen any of that (outside of some brief passive agressive statements) but trust me it's baaaddd.

Also, remember when I said I had become more active on Twitter and Discord than here? Hahahahahahahaha... no. I've been trying to go on a sort of social-media fast, which is very hard because I became addicted to them in a way.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Re: An explanation for my sporadic posting as of late

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure that we all get what you are going through. You just need to take a lot more time for yourself. Things will get better but you just need a break.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Just know that we're here if you want to talk.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

For what it's worth, Harry, I have limited my media involvement since I retired in order to avoid the aggrevations. In fact, just as an experiment, I decided on "fasting" from a certain public figure for several months. It was VERY CHALLENGING, first because that person was constantly popping up in the news and in other arenas. On one hand, since his name became an instant "spoiler-alert", I got very adept at grabbing the remote, flipping the newspaper and magazine pages, and other avoidance techniques. On the other, I felt constantly "baited". And, of course, there were many instances where commentaries did not provide the alerts.

What did it change for the better? Just my attitude. I've learned to settle for small victories.

So I appreciate your challenge in that regard. At my age and my stage, I pick my battles very carefully and close to home.

And, again, I hope you can get some help - you shouldn't fight these furies alone.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

I think too much screen time can be pretty bad for any persons wellbeing, for my part I don't see you as pretentious or aggressive, just someone who has a lot on their plate. Trying to debate with people online about religion or politics is never going to calm you down I suspect, mainly why I steer clear of this, I find these topics tend to get polarising pretty quick, online conversations seem to loose their humanity and people can easily take things the wrong way and overreact. Remember you don't have to try to win every argument or settle every debate online, that is an endless task (and not a very worthwhile or fulfilling one at that).

As regards art and writing, you can't force it, I think this plateau you talk of is maybe a symptom of your current worries/stresses, you'll probably find that inspiration/motivation will come back over time if you just wait till the mood takes you, don't pressure yourself to produce stuff, it should be fun.

Take it steady Harry, you are too hard on yourself I feel, we can't just lock away emotions, much as we may want to.
Disproportionately Dappled
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

There are a lot of things I want to lock away if I could but I know that I can't. I am here if you need to talk Harry.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Everyone you know here is willing to let you vent, Harry.

Was going to put this up on the 'rate what the listener...' thread but this also seems a good place for it.

https://youtu.be/6Q0sMOQvJuw

Edit.

Here's another one from the same group. If you want to know why this one? Look at the comments.

https://youtu.be/t4382UVl0oc
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)