Chat Thread 43: Good Ol' ArcWolves' Club (Voting's hard,OK?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

DDeer

Re: Chat Thread 43: Good Ol' ArcWolves' Club (Voting's hard,OK?)

Post by DDeer »

Just watched Wolfwalkers by Cartoon Salon, I highly recommend it, loved the animation style, pretty unique and striking and a great story, the wolves have plenty of character and the scenery and whole 2D look of the film is just beautiful. Nice to see wolves as the goodies for once, up there with Japanese anime I feel. The individual characters are memorable and a good mix of history and fable from Ireland. got some notable voices in it as well. The wolf vision sequences are fantastic, very clever.
Disproportionately Dappled
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Looking back at my old posts and fanfics and YIKES. Most of this stuff is really embarrassing, especially the 2020 through early 2021 posts where I was suffering heavily from OCD and would constantly tack on strange and incomprehensible "Christian" messages and phrases. And my older fanfics we're very poor, and being an aromantic person I lacked any of the skills needed to write romance subplots which I did with abandon. The attempts at being "serious" and "dark" where also rather laughable. My early art was also absolutely terrible, with colors and shading being all over the place and the anatomy and linework being extremely ugly. I would like to think all of you for gritting your teeth and telling me they looked good. :lol: I'm glad I made these posts, though, because they show me how much I've evolved since then, as a writer, an artist, and overall as a person. It's been 3 years now, time really does fly doesn't it? It's almost melancholic, I haven't really been active here for months now. I don't think I've spoken to most of the friends I've made here in weeks.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:12 pm Looking back at my old posts and fanfics and YIKES. Most of this stuff is really embarrassing, especially the 2020 through early 2021 posts where I was suffering heavily from OCD and would constantly tack on strange and incomprehensible "Christian" messages and phrases. And my older fanfics we're very poor, and being an aromantic person I lacked any of the skills needed to write romance subplots which I did with abandon. The attempts at being "serious" and "dark" where also rather laughable. My early art was also absolutely terrible, with colors and shading being all over the place and the anatomy and linework being extremely ugly. I would like to think all of you for gritting your teeth and telling me they looked good. :lol: I'm glad I made these posts, though, because they show me how much I've evolved since then, as a writer, an artist, and overall as a person. It's been 3 years now, time really does fly doesn't it? It's almost melancholic, I haven't really been active here for months now. I don't think I've spoken to most of the friends I've made here in weeks.
All people change with time Harry, yes, good sometime to look back and remind yourself how far you have come. I don't imagine you have anything to be embarrassed about having said that, I think you may be being hard on yourself, we all improve, my early art was truly dire (and that was not too long ago) but I don't beat myself up about it, I still have lots to learn but therein lies the challenge I guess. I think you have to experiment with things to find your own style and see what works. Sometimes a compliment on a piece of work is just that :-)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You should see some of the stuff that I posted when I started to frequent forums all the way back in 2005. I was a complete and total moron who was younger and stupid and now I am older and... less stupid. I cringe at some of the stuff I did. The forum I frequented back in 2005 was Lemmy's Land Forum which is no longer around but plenty of people can tell you how horrible I was if you can find them. I got permanently banned there but kept ban jumping because I was OBSESSED with the forum.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:58 pm You should see some of the stuff that I posted when I started to frequent forums all the way back in 2005. I was a complete and total moron who was younger and stupid and now I am older and... less stupid. I cringe at some of the stuff I did. The forum I frequented back in 2005 was Lemmy's Land Forum which is no longer around but plenty of people can tell you how horrible I was if you can find them. I got permanently banned there but kept ban jumping because I was OBSESSED with the forum.
Oh man...this sounds eerily similar to how I was back in the mid-2000's. I, too, was a complete, utter moron of a teenager and I, too, wound up getting perma-banned from a forum I loved after pushing too many of people's wrong buttons. Long story.
Last edited by The Blue Fox on Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The sad fact is that while it was the FIRST forum I was banned from, I got permanently banned from at least 2 other forums also as well as being permanently banned here for 2 years before I made an appeal to Diss to let me back.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:29 am The sad fact is that while it was the FIRST forum I was banned from, I got permanently banned from at least 2 other forums also as well as being permanently banned here for 2 years before I made an appeal to Diss to let me back.
I still don't know why you were banned from here, lol.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I never got banned here but I got my share of rather sharp comments from a couple of the members and some fairly "pointed Private Messages." Given how the forum has evolved, some of those comments might not seem so out of place now. Or maybe folks here are just extra patient with geezers.

Overall, the "Mods" here seem to be more than a little laid back, especially given some of the comments spun out by three or four members I've seen since joining in 2017. Basic rules apply - (1) don't be a big jerk - everybody gets to be a jerk occasionally, just don't be a BIG one; (2) it's Rick's world, you're a guest - you can make somewhat direct reflections but don't break furniture; (3) Don't take it personal - it's supposed to be fun. It's okay to say if something bothers you, like a certain character you don't like, but don't beat it to death. There'll be another comic next week.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that some of the sharper-tongued mods don't come on as often any more and the others are more understanding. Its the only reason why I haven't been banned again five times over. XD
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I don't think I've ever been banned from anywhere again. The lessons I learned from earning my first and afaik only ban anywhere on the internet made sure of that.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Isn't there a "Banned for" thread somewhere among our forum collections? We could revive that.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think that there ever was one. Not sure the mods wanted to publicly announce bans...
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I don’t believe we publicly disclose reasons for bans unless deemed necessary, such as an account found to be a bot.

Westin, are you perhaps thinking of the forum game, Banned for x?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is what I was thinking he was talking about too.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:18 pm I don’t believe we publicly disclose reasons for bans unless deemed necessary, such as an account found to be a bot.

Westin, are you perhaps thinking of the forum game, Banned for x?
Yeah, that's it!! Thanks, D and Amazz! (Hey, I'm old, remember?)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I was told not to point that out or I would get banned for being rude.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:40 pm I was told not to point that out or I would get banned for being rude.
Aaah, this case would make an exception, at least since it's me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Even though whenever I made a joke about you being old it was just that... a JOKE. :roll:
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Meanwhile in the UK Anthro art and beer, two things I kinda like :-) For those old enough, I can recommend "old hen", wonder who the artist is, I'll have to have a dig.

https://youtu.be/7Ps5fkesaz0
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

DDeer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:47 am Meanwhile in the UK Anthro art and beer, two things I kinda like :-) For those old enough, I can recommend "old hen", wonder who the artist is, I'll have to have a dig.

https://youtu.be/7Ps5fkesaz0
OH, THAT WAS JUST DELIGHTFUL! THANKS, DDEER!!
now i'm thirsty .............. :roll:
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Anyone here had much of an interest in their family history? I've been looking at my family tree on my father's side tonight and it is SUPER confusing.

So far, If my count is right, dating back to 1714, there are/were in total 7 Thomases, 5 Johns, 5 Jonathans, 1 Jonathon, 2 James and 1 James John, all with the same surname. Just incredible!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I've done some sifting through Ancestry.Com since my son gave me a subscription for my birthday last year. My Dad had a family tree done for us about thrity years back, and Ancestry has validated about 99.1% of it.

What was interesting was the DNA component. I already knew I had Irish, Scottish, English, Dutch, and French Canadian in the mix - not surprizing for a New Englander and the results confirmed that. However, they apparently keep sifting the samples as their analytical techniques improve, which I didn't expect. So, earlier this year, they informed me that I also had strains of northern and western German, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, and even Finland!

Sounds like a wine or coffee beverage diagnosis/recommendation, doesn't it? - "a strong British Isles flavor with undertones of Quebecois, a slightly teutonic aftertaste, with just the slightest aroma of Scandinavian notes."

Not likely coming to Starbucks any time soon. ;)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I actually have been curious, but never took the time to actually dive in.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

My distant cousin made a family tree way back a few years ago but I don't think that it was as comprehensive as it could be. I always wanted to take a deep dive into my family but I don't plan to pay for it because I'm saving my money for a rainy day.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Hlaoroo wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:27 am Anyone here had much of an interest in their family history?
I'm a little bit interested in mine, yeah. There's an old family rumor what we're in some way related to someone named Blythe, who was apparently king of the gypsies way back when gypsies were apparently able to have kings. My mom did a load of digging through our family tree, and at one point came across the family name Blythe, but as far as I know not THE Blythe himself. I don't know if this confirms or denies the rumor, but we at least know where the rumor may have came from if it does indeed not turn out to be true.
Maybe one day I can get a hold of her research and have a nosey at what else she dug up.
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

No, I don't post here often anymore. But I have good reason! I was busy finishing my MBA, and now that that's done I'm busy with my new job. I still try to keep up with the comic, just not as active on forums anymore.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It’s been happening to a lot of us. Good luck with your endeavors!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

CuriousCnidarian wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:46 pm No, I don't post here often anymore. But I have good reason! I was busy finishing my MBA, and now that that's done I'm busy with my new job. I still try to keep up with the comic, just not as active on forums anymore.
Miss your participation, CC, but lou congrattz on earning the MBA!! Don't be a stranger. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Congratulations to you on getting your MBA! I hope that you will go far!
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Congratulations on your MBA, CuriousCnidarian!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Going to go see the physical therapist tomorrow and hopefully they can help me. This pain is gonna start making me miss things.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hope the therapy's speedily effective, Amazz. Both the missus and I have used it but then we're of "advanced years" so such discomforts are to be expected.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I need people to pray for me that this will work. Because if not I might just become a recluse.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Good luck, Dayzee.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Keep us posted, chum.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Had my first day today and it did feel better for like a few minutes before the pain came back. Guess I will have to keep on going.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Physical therapy is never a one-and-done deal. It’s a slow build up. Hope for the best, Dayzee.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Very true, D-Rock ... the missus and i both a have a short daily calasthetic routine we follow. When the pain comes back - and it ALWAYS DOES - we simply have to do the routines more often during the day. The increased repetitions work and the pain goes away fairly soon.......

....... until it comes back again. so ... we repeat. welcome to geezerdom. :( ;)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

This thread's still alive? We haven't seen the wolves in a very looooooog time.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:09 pm This thread's still alive? We haven't seen the wolves in a very looooooog time.
Awooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! ;)