Resurgemus

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Resurgemus

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I hope that what they did to Grape and also how they treated her also comes out because these people are scumbags and deserve the fire coming their way.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

I love hating Grape's former owners. Great chapter, trekkie.
Crazy_Simone

Post by Crazy_Simone »

Wonderful story!
The story may be a little slow, like when characters keeps repeating their points, but I really love where this story is leading. Though it took a beautiful life to make it happen, what happened on Max and Bino here is as beautiful and warm as life itself.
I myself is totally a grapenut shiper. But most of the fics with a good grapenut relationship are unfriendly to dear Max. I appreciate how you give him a wonderful new life. He deserves it. And, Dog, I aways believed he cares about Bino.
Also, you paid a good lot attention to details I may ignored before, like Jeff's house has a wifi lock XD.
Keep it up! Can't wait to see Max dating Tarot~
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I just can't wait to see what else you have planned period. I am looking forward to the next installment trekkie!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Wow, thanks everyone for reading, and sorry it’s taken me so long to update it. Just to give you all an update, as I said before, Maxwell, Sabrina, Dallas, Joey, Marion, and Lois will join the K-9s. Bino will join the search and rescue team and there will be a pie fight and a crawfish boil and general barbecue. We will also see more of the Coniffs , and don’t worry, they will get their just desserts, as do Duchess and Griswold, who try and ruin the K-9s, and quite naturally fail, in humiliating fashion. We also meet the young man who was injured, he was an adopted child of the Coniffs, and the only one of the family who was good to Grape. Oh, on the lighter side , and thanks to Amayzee Dayzee’s OCs both Bino and Fox get girlfriends, and we’ll see Tarot and Max double, or rather triple date ( Is that a thing? Well, it is now.) with Bino and Fox and their girlfriends.
Last edited by trekkie on Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So glad that this story is gonna be updated again real soon because I was looking forward to seeing Fox and Bino finally get their girls! I was worried you got writer's block and couldn't finish it after all this time.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Snowy days, great for catching up on long missed readings... :D ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I certainly hope that Fox has learned his lesson not to criticize Bailey's cooking if he doesn't want to be publicly embarrassed.

...Not, ;)
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Dayzee-Don’t worry Fox is a slow learner in this respect.

Chapter 31 Grape opens up and Max tries dog biscuits

After they finished making the casserole, Jill put it in the oven, and thanked Max for helping her. Max, after making sure that his mom didn’t need any more help, got himself a bowl of kibble and headed to his room to read and relax a little. He didn’t want his anger about the behavior of the Coniffs affecting him at the viewing. He was reading the Star Trek book that Dallas had recommended, when Grape knocked on the door frame and stuck her head into the room. Max waved her in.

“Hey, there Maxie, Star Trek huh?” Grape looked at the book Max was reading

“Yeah, Dallas, Joey, Squeak, and I belong to a Star Trek book club. It’s both humans and pets, and we all have a good time.” Max said

“Lester isn’t a member?” Grape was surprised that the brown dog didn’t belong to the club

“No, that’s why we have a good time. Okay he was a member once. But he kept giving away spoilers and criticizing everyone else as being untrue fans and not a true devotee like him.” Max said, “They were reluctant to throw him out, but eventually Lester quit. I honestly think Squeak threatened to bite his ear if he didn’t cut it out. When he left he told us that we weren’t worthy of his knowledge, and then he ran out the door when Squeak approached him. He reminds me of Bino, well, the old Bino.” Max said

“Yeah, Peanut said Lester was a bit of a pill when he played RPGs with Joey.” Grape said, “He, Peanut that is, much preferred playing with Joey, Dallas, and Squeak.” Grape recalled Peanut’s frustrations with Lester

“So what’s up, Grape? Just seeing what I was doing ? I don’t mind, I’m just asking.” Max looked at his housemate

“Well, no Maxie, I wanted to tell you a little bit more about my life with the Coniffs.” Grape sai

“You sure Grape? I know it’s a tough subject for you, and understandably so.” Max didn’t want the purple cat to get too upset

“Yeah, I’ll be fine. Besides, you told me about your early days and your time with Rufus, so I figured you deserved to know about my early life. I’ve told Peanut all this already.” Grape said, “It wasn’t fun there. That girl, Blair? She picked me because I was purple, and that was her second favorite color after pink. Blair seemed to regard me as a combo doll and personal servant. She tried to dress me up in hideous outfits and made me do her chores while she collected her allowance, and refused to even feed me. Their parents were doormats to their ‘princess’ . Her adopted brother was the only one in that family who was decent to me. He’d feed me, buy me cat treats with his allowance, and take off the ridiculous outfits Blair put me in. He comforted me when Blair or her mom yelled at me. I remember he told them to leave me alone, because it wasn’t right to mistreat me. Her mom hit him for that. I mean, I have to say I didn’t see it, but I heard them yell at him and when he came into the garage where I slept his eye was black.” The memory seemed to both sadden and enrage the purple cat, and she wiped at her eyes, Max was about to say she didn’t have to continue but Grape waved her paw to stop him, “He cried and we hugged. It was the next day they dumped me at the shelter. I think they did it to hurt both of us. Blair wrote me a snotty letter saying they got rid of him as well, and said they’d take me back if I was a ‘good little cat and apologized’ . Well, you can imagine how I reacted to that.”

“They were lucky they weren’t in striking range.” Max smiled

“Oh, very lucky.” Grape agreed, and smiled a little, “ There is a mostly happy ending for him too. He got in touch with me through the shelter, after I was adopted. After they, abandoned me, they gave him up for adoption, he was taken in by a nice Italian family, the ones that own Canni y Gatti. He played football for Babylon Gardens Christian High and they won a state title. Unfortunately, he was injured by Blair, she badly broke his leg before killing your dad.”

"I think I know him. Named Justin?" Max then described the pizza cook who, in his and Bino's opinion, made the best pizzas

"Yep, that's him. He said he made the pizzas."
Grape said

“If I had known what they did to you and him when I saw them, I would’ve slashed their faces."Max said

“Then I’m glad I didn’t tell you. Striking out might feel good for a while, Maxie, but your conscience will start to bother you.” Grape smiled and shook, clearing the bad memories from her mind. “I’m going to go grab a dog biscuit, care to join me?”

“Sure, I’ve never really tried dog biscuits. Bino always hoarded them at my old home.” Max said, and the two cats headed out to the kitchen where each grabbed a dog biscuit. Max chewed his for a while, his face expressionless .

“What do you think, Maxie?” Grape asked a little anxiously

“This would be worth sneaking into the Good Old Dog Club. It’s amazing.” Max savored the treat

“ You should try the ones Rex made. That and licking the frying pan were what made the rest of it bearable.” Grape said

“Grape?”

“Mmm?”

“Did you really smack Bino with the fry pan the day Fido came back from training? I’ve been meaning to ask for years”

“Yep.”

“You are awesome.”

“As are you, Maxie.”
Last edited by trekkie on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Interesting to hear more about Grape's past.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The more I hear about these people, the more I want to taking a riding mower over their heads. Really great job writing this though! I can't wait for Fox to get hit again. :lol:
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Been a while since I read this, I must say I'm enjoying what's been added to the story. I am interested to se how Marion and Lois will come into play.
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Marion and Lois?

(Beat)

HOW VERY INTRESTING

sorry...
Hope you continue this! :D
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh he has to continue it because he promised me something and there are still going to be more of what was promised to me in the story happening to a certain husky who continues to badmouth his adoptive sister/biological cousin's cooking.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Sorry this has taken so long to update, real life problems, and writer’s block were not fun.

Chapter 32 Dallas visits and preparing for the viewing

After trying the dog biscuits Max and Grape talked a little more, and then Grape headed to her bedroom to take a nap. Max spent some time with Peanut, helping the dog with his Spot comics, then went to the living room and watched some television. Max was watching a bizarre, but interesting game show when he heard a knock on the door. Peanut surged out of his room and answered it. A minute later he came into the living room with Dallas, a Dalmatian who enjoyed role playing games, and was a Star Trek fan. Dallas, at, Max’s invitation sat on the couch and Peanut returned to his room to work on Spot and listen to Weird Al.

“Max, I am so sorry about your dad, I know I texted you earlier but I did want to give you my condolences in, uh, canine, I guess. Mom and dad always say ‘in person’, but I’m a dog so it would be in canine I guess. God, I’m babbling, sorry, I just came from Joey’s we had a good talk.” Dallas shook his brown and white head

“Thanks Dallas, I appreciate you coming by, also thanks for the recommendation of the Star Trek book. I’m enjoying it and it’s helping me deal with stuff. I’ve never known what to say about ‘in person’ either.” Max appreciated the dog’s sympathy

“To change the subject, I’m going out for the K-9s , I talked to Joey about it and he mentioned you were trying out too. I wanted to wish you good luck. You’ll be a fine officer.” Dallas smiled at Max

“Good luck to you as well,” Max said, “I know you’ll be a great officer. Putting up with Lester would probably train you well for dealing with difficult people.” Max smiled slightly

“Oh, dear dog, yes. I just get so frustrated by him. He mocked Joey and me for trying out for the K-9s, said he’d never waste his time doing that. He also complained about having to attend the viewing and funeral because he’d miss his amine Zoom meetings. Squeak threatened to bite his ear if he didn’t go and behave himself while there. Max, I know we don’t exactly know each other well. But, were both Original Series fans, do you remember in “Whom Gods Destroy” when Kirk and Spock said they considered each other brothers? I wanted to say, and, I hope this doesn’t sound too weird, but I do consider you my brother.” Dallas looked at Max

“Thanks, Dallas, I appreciate that, I’ll be glad and honored to be your brother. If we were security on the Enterprise, we’d be wearing red in The Original Series, and gold in the Next Generation on, I think. Well, in Deep Space Nine we were on a space station, and in Voyager we’d be on Voyager, of course, but our uniform colors would be the same. Gah. We’d be redshirts.” Max looked amusedly annoyed at having the same colors as crew members who always seemed to get killed or wounded

“Better than being Wesley Crusher.” Dallas smiled

“That’s for sure.” Max agreed smiling as well

“Carp, I’d better get home. Gonna take a bath,” Dallas winced slightly, “before the viewing. Oh, here’s my email if you want to chat that way.” The Dalmatian handed Max a slip of paper and departed.

After Dallas left, Max went to his room to try and prepare himself mentally for the viewing. He put on his formal collar and sat on his bed reading from a Pridelands book. Reading the familiar stories comforted him , it was as if Res himself was comforting him. Looking at the clock he saw it was about time to go to the viewing. Max took some deep breaths and looked at himself in the mirror. He looked, okay, he thought, he knew this would be rough, but he also knew that with his family and friends he’d be okay. Entering the living room he saw Grape and Peanut sitting on the couch each wearing their formal collars, and Jill sitting in an armchair wearing a black blouse and skirt.

“Hi guys,” Max looked at his family gratefully, “there’s a part of me that still can’t believe that this is happening. I’m just so grateful that you guys have been so awesome for me. I appreciate it so much.” Max wiped at his eyes.

“Of course, Maxie.” Grape went over , ad, with Peanut and hugged Max, “you’re family, and we are always here for you.”

“Grape is right, hon.” Jill went over and also hugged the cat, “Earl is in our room getting his suit on, and then we’ll go to the church. I know this is difficult for you, but you’re doing very well.”

“You are.” Earl agreed coming out from the bedroom and hugging Max, “I know this has been very hard for me you. We are very proud of how you’re handling this.”

“Thanks guys.” Max looked gratefully at his family

“We’re taking a large SUV, to the church.” Earl said, “A client is letting me try it out. We’re going to get a newer and bigger car now that we have a bigger family.”

The five Sandwiches walked out of the house, and took their seats in the SUV. Jill sat in the front passsenger’s seat. Grape and Peanut sat together in front of Max who wanted to continue to collect himself. Earl got in the driver’s seat, pulled the SUV into onto the road and headed to the church .

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really glad that you got back to writing this! I really enjoy it and can't wait for more people to be hit with pies! XD
trekkie

Re: Resurgem

Post by trekkie »

Don’t worry, Dayzee, in the next part, after Jeff’s funeral the pies start flying a bit more. Thanks to everyone who read and my apologies (again!) for taking so long to update this story.

Chapter 33 Griswold disappoints Bino, but Bino gains true friends, a community continues to mourn and Grape physically reconnects with Justin

Upon arriving at the church Max walked up the aisle, remembering when he attended King and Bailey’s wedding. On that day the church was filled with joy, as the community awaited seeing two the wedding of two dogs that were so much in love, and still were. Now, the joy of that day seemed replaced by sorrow, and and undercurrent of disbelief and anger.
In front of the pulpit, instead of a wedding party, there was a casket, with the photo collages he and Bino had made, and floral tributes surrounding it. The casket that, Max knew, contained the man who had been his father for most of his life. Seeing his father dead was, despite all he knew, a shock for the tomcat, and seeing his father wearing a dark suit and bright green and royal blue tie, a tie that bore the colors of his and Bino’s regular collars. As he walked to the casket, and looked at Jeff, Max took a pack of tissues from under his collar, and wiped at his eyes. Despite mentally preparing himself for saying goodbye, it was still so very hard, he sadness and grief he had felt since his father’s death mixed with anger. This shouldn’t be happening, it is so unfair, some drunk girl’s recklessness and disregard for the law and safety of others had caused his father and others to die. Maxwell felt fury rising up in his body, teas of anger and grief ran down his muzzle, and he sat on the floor and started to cry. Reverend Gurney stood a a lectern in front of the casket, greeting mourners. Noticing, the weeping cat, the knelt and faced Max.

“I know this is hard Maxwell, you’re dealing with something that is heart wrenching, and infuriating, and your feelings are valid. I know you loved your father, and I know that you always will. I know you feel anger at how your dad died. This community will stand with you, Max. With you, Ryan, Jake, Joey and Bino.” Reverend Gurney patted the cat’s shoulder consolingly.

Max rose, feeling a little better, and approached the coffin again. His father looked so at peace and Max hoped that he didn’t suffer at all. He let out a breath and looked at the flowers. There were so many, arrangements from the Milton ferrets, the Wolf pack, the K-9 squad, and the ECP, as well as almost all the families in the tight-knit community.

“Max.” Bino said, and Max turned to see the dog wearing a dark green collar, approaching his position, flanked by Fido and Joey Squeak and Spo were perched on Joey’s and Fido’s heads. Fido and Joey were physically as well as mentally supporting Bino.

“Hey, bros.” Max hugged Bino, then, Joey and Fido. Joey and Fido paid their respects to Jeff and looked at the collages made by Max and Bino.

“Dear dog, this is just, I can’t even...He looks so peaceful.” Bino looked at their father, and struggled to find his words. The dog reached under his collar, “I thought I brought some tissues, I just...I can’t...” Max handed Bino tissues , and hugged the green eyed dog, for which Bino thanked him.

“I know, Bino. We’ll get through this though, together. And we’ll make dad proud.” Max said, barely able to find his own words.

Bino said a prayer, by their father’s body, than joined Max at the photo collages. Uncles Ryan and Jake had told them to stand there to accept the condolences of the attendees. It seemed as if all of Babylon Gardens was there, mourning a pet owner and supporting his family. The Milton ferrets, along with the pine marten Breel, and their, butler/caretaker Jeeves, were in the front row. In other pews sat Sabrina, Rex, Sasha, Daisy, Devo, Fox, Bailey, and King. A couple of Bigglesworths, a contingent of K-9s, Dallas, Lester, Zach, Marvin ,and Tiger, along with Zach’s opossum girlfriend Jessica, and the kindly raccoon Truck, paid their respects. Miles and Lucretia Wolf, along with the Daryls, were in attendance as were Gale the puma and her cub Pueblo, as well as Lois and her boyfriend Marion the humans turned bobcat and squirrel respectively. And those (save Jeeves) were just the animals. In addition to their own parents and Uncle Jake, there were Professor D’Angelo, Marion and Lois’s parents, Jeff’s coworkers, police officers, the well-meaning but incompetent attorney Mr. London, and many others. All gave the sympathy and support to Jake, Ryan, Maxwell, and Bino . Pretty much everyone knew that Jeff would be proud of Max and Bino, and told the pets this. Max knew that Reverend Gurney was right, this community was united to support them. Max, saw, also though that Bino was looking upset and angry.

“What’s the matter, bro?” Max asked

“Griswold.” Bino pronounced the word as if it were a curse. “I thought he’d come. I expected Duchess and Boris to not show up. That doesn’t really bother me. Do you know how many times I had to keep a dog from beating up Griswold, because he bothered their girlfriend or talked a lady out of smacking him to kingdom come? Thought he’d show some gratitude.”

“Expect no gratitude from the wicked, as Aesop said.” Max said, “He doesn’t deserve a friend like you , bro, don’t let his ignorance and ingratitude get to you.”

“Maxie’s right.” Bino and Max turned and saw Grape and Peanut, the purple cat and brown and tan dog both hugged Bino, “You’ve got our friendship, and we will not abandon you.”

“Really?” Bino seemed shocked by Grape’s offer, “Thanks guys, I’m sorry about all the things I..”

“Bino, as I told Maxie, we all make mistakes why should we hold them against each other?” Grape smiled and hugged Bino again

Bino took a breath, “Well,” he said, “I may have lost Griswold but I’ve gained two much more awesome pets. Excuse me, I’m going to go talk with Fido and Sabrina.”

Max, Grape and Peanut looked at the pictures of Jeff’s life. It was saddening, the animals thought, seeing a man’s life in photos and knowing that his life had been prematurely ended. All three teared up seeing the pictures of Max, Bino, and Jeff, the tears were of sorrow and anger that there would be no more photos of the three taken, in fact there would be no more photos of Jeff at all. The three were walking up the main aisle of the church when a voice came from behind them.

“Peri?”

The animals turned and saw young Justin DiGiacomo , who Peanut and Maxwell knew as a skilled pizza cook, Grape knew him as so much more, however, as the only Coniff who was kind to him. He was skim and tall with blue-grey eyes and auburn hair. The young man’s forehead and cheek had white bandages across them and a pair of metal crutches sat on his left. On his right, sat two slightly older ladies who the animals figured were his relatives. One of the ladies had black hair wore glasses and silver cross earrings and the other ,also with black hair, wore a gold cross around her neck. There was also a dark grey cat sitting between Justin and the ladies. The cat had an eye patch and a black collar with an collar tag consisting of an Italian flag. The animals did a double take.

“Steve?” All three said in unison

“Well, Stephen now.” The grey cat looked at the astounded animals, “but yes, it’s me, Delusional Steve. I actually wanted to be named ‘The Cat Formerly Known As Delusional Steve’ but it wouldn’t fit on the adoption paperwork. Hopefully I’m not so delusional any more, I’m getting therapy to help with that. Max, I am so sorry about your dad, glad you have a good family, though, you and Bino. Excuse me.” The grey cat went up to pay his respects to Jeff. Justin smiled at Steve and turned to the Sandwich pets. He and Grape share a long and heartfelt hug.

“Well, Peri, I mean Grape, I never thought I’d see you again. I wish to dog it wasn’t under these circumstances. Max, I am so sorry about your dad. When I heard about on the news I just hoped that you and Bino got good homes. Grape told me you’re living with her and Peanut, and I saw Bino with Fido, guess they’re living together?”

“Yeah,” Max said, “We’re fine thank dog. Are you going to be okay?”

“The doctors think so,” Justin winced a little, “I had an open fracture, my bone went through my skin, but they didn’t see any nerve or tissue damage, and the surgery to repair the bone went well. I also have some bruised ribs, but they’re thinking I’ll make a full recovery. These are my elder sisters Mary Jo and Bridget. I think they’ve served you guys when you came to the restaurant.” Justin introduced the young women to his right.

“Hon, I am so sorry about your father’s death. It just made me sick to think about it him and the other victims, as well as Justin, of course. Why people just don’t call a cab or something. Just makes me sick and angry,” The lady with glasses who introduced herself as Mary Jo, patted Max’s shoulder and went up to pay her respects.

“It angered me.” The lady with the gold cross, who by elimination was Bridget, told the animals, “I won’t deny that I drink alcohol, but I do it at home, and do go out for a while or make sure I have an Uber, designated driver or cab when I am out. DUI laws aren’t new, we’ve known about the dangers for quite a while. It angers me that people should have to die and get hurt from something so preventable. My condolences for your loss, you guys were never a problem, great tippers as well.”
Bridget went up and joined her sister.

“I should probably join them.” Justin got himself onto his crutches, and made his way towards the pulpit, before passing the animals, he took out a card and scrawled his e-mail address on the back. “If you ever want to chat, Max.” He handed the card to Max, who tucked it under his collar.

About twenty minutes later, the mourners sat in the pews, Max joining Joey, Squeak, Bino, and his Uncles Jake and Ryan. Jake gave a short eulogy, recalling his life with Jeff. Ryan talked about how he got to know Jeff and guided him through some of the trickier parts of pet parenting. Max read his father’s favorite bible verses, Matthew 9:10-13. Bino read Jeff’s favorite biblical proverb, 12:1 . After Bino sat back down, Reverend Gurney stepped to the pulpit and addresed the mourners.

“It is not an easy task to understand why a young man like Jeff had to die. A death, that was so unnecessary and premature. I ask you though , to comfort his brother, his friends and his pets. Comfort each other as well, in the time that comes, and remember Jeff as a loving pet father, brother, and friend.” Reverend Gurney then led the group in The Lord’s Prayer. The mourners then slowly left the church. After getting outside Max hugged his brothers once more, and climbed into the car and headed for home.
Last edited by trekkie on Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Wonderful chapter, trekkie. And a nice little MST3k shout out.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really loved reading this chapter! I thought it was great and definitely worth the wait!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

So, yeah, finally updating this, after, wow, more than a year. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

This chapter will end Part One.

Part Two, will have Max dating Tarot, and becoming a K-9, Fox and Bino getting girlfriends, and a massive charity pie fight, involving the K-9s with all profits going to assorted pet and K-9 charities under the Milton Foundation.

Chapter 34 Jeff’s Funeral

Max was surprised to sleep well that night.(He had gone straight to bed after getting home from the viewing) The cat had expected to have been weighed down with sorrow and regret but this sleep was peaceful. When Maxwell woke up though, the feelings returned with a vengeance, and he sobbed, first by himself, then with Grape, who had come in to comfort him. Grape felt her own sadness, for Jeff, Max, Bino, Joey, Jake, Ryan and Fido; tears of anger were there too, as Blair Coniff had caused not only this tragedy but physical and mental harm on Justin and his family. The two cats hugged until they felt better and then went out into the kitchen where Peanut was eating. Grape took a breakfast bowl into her bedroom, and Max at the table sat opposite Peanut with a chicken biscuit on a plate. Out the windows the sky was a gloomy gray.

“Are you feeling any better, Max ?” Peanut asked, as they ate “ I saw you and Grape crying , but I thought I’d give you some time together.”

“Thanks, Peanut, I feel a little better but this whole day is just going to be hard. I never thought I’d be burying Dad, you know. It still doesn’t feel real in spite of everything.” Max sighed, tears streamed down his muzzle again

Peanut hugged Max, the dog was crying as well, “ I know, I thought about it last night. I’m so sorry, Max, this is so unfair, and I hate that it’s happening. The world sucks sometimes.”

“At least some good is coming out of it. I’ve gotten closer to Bino, Joey and Fido. Bino saw Duchess for who she was. Doesn’t make the sadness go away, but it does make it feel less horrid, sometimes.” Max was grateful for the kind dog, “I guess good can come out of almost anything.”

“What about Dance Dogs?” Peanut narrowed his eyes

“I said almost anything. Anyway, that show does inspire good snark.” Max said putting his plate in the sink

“You have a point.” Peanut said as he joined Max at the sink

Soon, Grape, along with Earl and Jill, who were in the living room, joined Max and the family headed to the church. Max joined Bino, Joey, and Jake in the front row. The cat breathed slowly hoping to assuage his nervousness. All the animals and humans who attended the viewing were there, along with the DiGiacomo parents who had left an assistant manager and staff members to prepare the food fo the wake . Grape hugged Justin DiGiacomo, Stephen (formerly delusional), the sisters and parents DiGiacomo. She was glad to see the dark grey cat in a good home. There was, though, a of rather unwelcome guest as well. Justin DiGiacomo, hugging Grape, was the first to see her.

“She has some nerve.” The young man said

Grape’s ears flattened back, she moved next to Stephen who, along with the other DiGiacomos stood protectively in front of the purple cat. As the visitor passed pews, lots of confusion and hostility greeted her. The teenage girl , either unaware or not caring, sat on a middle pew. Blair Coniff, on was chatting on her cell phone, and appeared bored and irritated be there. Reverend Gurney excused himself and went to the pew, Max trailed him.

“Excuse me,” Reverend Gurney did his best to sound like an avenging, or at least angry angel, “but, by request of the family, cell phones are not permitted in this church during this service.”

“Whatever.” Blair Coniff voice was contemptuous, “Do you think I want to be at this loser’s funeral? That judge ordered me to.”

“Okay. You were here. Now please leave.” Reverend Gurney said curtly

“No. I’ve just gotten a new level of Candy Crush. “ The girl tapped at her phone feverishly

“Excuse me.” Max glared at Blair, “Leave now. Please.”

“Make me, furball.” Blair’s voice oozed superiority

“Glad to.” Max grabbed the astonished teen by her upper arm and with Grape shadowing him, to help if need be, dragged her to the door, and threw her out. “Pharisee!” Max said, addressing Blair, as the girl landed in a bush. He and Grape made their way back to the nave where Max smiled apologetically at the crowd.

“She said to make her.” the cat said

Max rejoined his astonished and proud brothers in the front row. Fido patted his back. The congregation seemed to titter at Max’s remark, and now focused on the sad business at hand. Grape thanked and said goodbye to the DiGiacomos and rejoined the Sandwiches, and Reverend Gurney took his place at the pulpit.

“Friends, we mourn Jeff’s death, but we also remember his life, he was not a perfect man, none of us are perfect, but he has inspired love and care in this community. It is an unfortunate fact of life that people die through no fault of their own, and we ask that our feelings of anger, sadness and confusion be soothed by remembering Jeff’s life and the love he had for his brother, pets and friends. I believe Maxwell, Bino and Jake have words of remembrance.” Reverend Gurney stepped aside

Max stepped to the pulpit and recited the eulogy, seeing mourners, dab at their eyes, during his Bin’s and Jake’s recitations. Bino recited ‘If’ and ‘The Buildets’, and Jake spoke of his brother in tones of love and sadness. After reading Matthew 9:10-13, and Proverbs 12:10, then the congregation sang “The Old Rugged Cross” , one of Jeff’s favorite hymns. Gurney then led his flock in The Lord’s Prayer, and the mourners filed out of the church.

After receiving the sympathies of the mourners, Max approached the Reverend Gurney who was talking with Gale and Pueblo Puma. The two cougars left with the wolf pack and Reverend Gurney turned to Max.

“Sorry about the disturbance before.” Max winced

“That was hardly your fault. “ Reverend Gurney said

“Maybe, but at a church, it just seemed disrespectful.” Max winced again

“Don’t worry, Max, even Jesus flipped tables at a church, when he found disrespectful elements within. Do pray for that girl though, for your sake if not hers. I’d don’t think she’s realized the severity of her actions.” Reverend Gurney reassured the cat

Max, meaning it, said he would, and joined the Sandwiches for the ride to the graveyard, where mourners placed baptisias, Jeff’s favorite flower at his grave. They then went to the wake where, Max received congratulations both on ejecting Blair, and his eulogy. After going home, Max watched a b-movie on TV with Peanut, while Grape took a nap in her room.

Up in heaven a dog and man peered down on Babylon Gardens .

“Proud of them.” Jeff said, “Glad Max got that girl out of my funeral. I have to admit it felt weird watching my funeral, though.”

“At least you weren’t late to it.” Rufus smiled

As the dog and man headed for one of heaven’s restaurants, the sun broke through the clouds and shone on Babylon Gardens.
Last edited by trekkie on Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really glad that you have gotten back to this! Can't wait for the pie fight! :mrgreen:
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Great end to part one.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I thought that it was really nice also! I am so glad everybody is at peace.
Krytus The Dreamer

Post by Krytus The Dreamer »

I had fun with this. It was a nice heartwarming and straightforward story. If this continues I'm excited to see what you do with Max as a police cat and Bino as a search and rescue dog.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well I am looking forward for what will happen in the next part. It has been WAY too long.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Thanks, everyone!

Part Two Max’s New Life

Chapter 35 Dating a Dog and being selected as a K-9

When Max had gotten home from the funeral, he went to his room and took a nap, Grape napped on the couch, and Peanut went to his room to listen to Weird Al Yankovich. As for the Sandwich parents, Earl went to his auto shop and Jill went to her first half-day at her new job at her friend’s real-estate agency. Earl and Jill had previously asked Max if he wanted or needed them to stay home, but Max told them to go off to work, if he needed comfort Pranut and Grape were there. Waking from his nap Max remembered something that he was going to talk to the Sandwich pets about prior to his dad’s death. He had, understandably, put it to the back of his mind in the days after Jeff’s death, but the black and grey cat wanted to address it now. He hopped from his bed and made his way to Peanut’s room, figuring the dog would be more likely to be awake. Looking in the room, he saw Peanut reading with his earphones on. Max knocked on the doorframe.

“Oh, hey, Max.” Peanut looked in his direction, “How are you doing ?”

“Better than this morning, for sure.” Max said, “Peanut, I’m going to ask you a question, Would you mind if I dated Tarot?”

Peanut smiled broadly, “Of course not!” The dog’s voice was a shout of joy, “You and she will be great together, and maybe you can double date with me and Grape. Also, thanks to you tossing out that wretched girl, I know she’ll be in good paws.” Peanut hugged his feline housemate.

Max grinned, and hugged Peanut back, “ That’s a relief, Tarot and I have hung out but haven’t gone in a date yet. I was going to ask last week, but then, well…” Max’s voice trailed off and his smile disappeared

“Yeah,” Peanut said also feeling the cat’s sadness,

“But, anyway, thanks for giving me permission.” Max smiled again , and got up to go

“You’re welcome.” Peanut said and went back to his book

Entering the living room, Max saw that Grape was awake and watching TV, he sat on the couch next to the purple cat. Grape smiled at him and put her tail around him. She turned off the television which had been showing a bunch of bizarrely dressed people dancing. Or at least that was Max’s best guess as to their activity. It was either that or people having epileptic seizures, hard to tell. Max hoped it was dancing .

“Of course you can date Tarot.” Grape smiled

“Oh, you heard Peanut.” Max smiled too

“I think they heard him across the street, but yeah, I did. Thanks for having enough respect , to ask us permission.” Grape said, “Maxie, I am proud of you. You did great, I know your dad is proud of you. And tossing Blair out was awesome. “

“I learned from the best, “ Max said, “I wanted her to land in the thorn bush, though, I don’t know how to make people turn when I throw them out .”

“You have to turn your wrist for that.” Grape demonstrated with her paw,

“I’ll remember that for next time. Hopefully, there won’t be a next time but the Coniffs seem stubborn.” Max narrowed his eyes

“Oh, they are.” Grape said, “Stubborn, nasty, and stupid. Oh, Fido called but you were asleep. He said to call him back.”

“Okay,” Max said, “I’ll call him now.” The cat went to the kitchen to do so.

“Uncle Ryan?” Max said upon reaching the Byron household, “This is Max. Is Fido there?” Ryan Byron went to get Fido and soon the K-9 was on the phone, “Hi Max, you did a good job at the funeral. I called you because I wanted to let you know that you have been selected as a K-9. You, Sabbie…I mean Sabrina, Marion, Lois, Dallas, and Joey, are our newest members. And Bino is a search and rescue dog.”

Max was shocked, “I didn’t think I put in my application.”

“Your dad, that is, your late dad did.” Fido said, “He saw it on your nightstand.”

“He must’ve dropped it off the day before he died. I competed it early that morning. I thought I lost it. ” Max said, “Wow. I never thought you gouts would pick me. Thank you so much.”

“You are very welcome, and congratulations, I’ll see you at the station the day after tomorrow for your formal induction into the force. It’ll be an honor to serve with you.”

“Thanks again,” Max said, still floored by the news, “I was actually a little worried that tossing Blair Coniff out of the church might’ve ruined my chances.”

“All you did was eject a trespasser. “ Fido said judiciously, “Nothing illegal about it. In fact Fox and I were going to act if you didn’t. See you soon. Give my regards to your family.”

“I will. You take care of Sabrina and Bino.” Max said, then asked “,Can I tell my family that I am a K-9?”

“Of course. And I’ll take good care of Sabbie and Bino. You take care of yourself and your family.” Fido said

Max said he would, and hung up the phone. He then went back to the living room where Peanut had joined Grape in watching the people dancing/having seizures. They both looked up at Max as he sat next to them on the couch. They looked at him expectantly.

“What did Fido want, Maxie?” Grape asked

“I’m a K-9.” Max said, still feeling stunned

For the second time in less than an hour Peanut’s jubilant shout echoed through the house, as he and Grape congratulated their housemate. Then, all feeling strangely calmer, they turned to the TV. Grape changed the channel to a kung-fu movie, and the three Sandwich animals enjoyed the hilariously bad dubbing, and acrobatic action scenes.
Last edited by trekkie on Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

This was a really marvelous chapter! Nicely done trek!
Wrenisprobablyb0red

Post by Wrenisprobablyb0red »

That was a really positive twist of fate! It's nice to know that Max's owner dropped off the application. I'm going to obsess over the K-9 Unit's antics when we start getting to see that!
I'll be honest, the Max/Tarot relationship feels kind of out-of-nowhere, as if it exists mainly just to give Max a love interest. I do understand why you would do that, but I feel like there should have been more development leading up to it. Feels pretty out of character for both of them. That being said, it's fanfiction, so do what you like!
You've really successfully gotten me to hate the Coniffs, and with them being Grape's (or Princess Periwinkle's) previous owners, I feel like seeing them get their just desserts is going to be a lot of fun.
Also, you've gotten me to like Bino. Somehow. I'm a little unsure how you did it, but I commend you for it!
Really glad I finally got to comment on this story!
I came here looking for (noun), but this is so much better!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I really do want to go back and read Bino's redemption arc. I think it is so nice and am glad he isn't a total piece of work anymore! As for the shenanigans with the K-9s after Max becomes a member, can you say "pie fight"? :D