No Game?

Discuss the comic here
gforce

No Game?

Post by gforce »

What if the cosmic game and all characters involved with it never actually showed up, or at least didn’t contribute to the story? How do you think things might look today if the celestials chose avatars outside of Babylon Gardens, or just didn’t exist altogether?
That sounded better in my head
Amazee Dayzee

Re: No Game?

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

For one thing, it is pretty obvious that King and Bailey wouldn't have gotten together and had a family because King would still be a human. Also I still have a feeling that Dragon might have had SOME involvement with breaking up Max and Sabrina. Pete was gonna try to use Fido but Dragon blocked him by sticking him with Sabrina who was were avatar. Same with Peanut and Tarot because he couldn't have an avatar who was involved with her avatar romantically. Max and Sabrina might have broken up on their own and Fido and Sabrina might have fallen in love with each other, but Dragon definitely accelerated it.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Be a completely different narrative, I guess.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That would be very obvious since the Game ended up branching off into a lot of different storylines. Without it, the comic would have just focused 100% on a slice-of-life genre with only some action.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... or the story could have gone cosmic in some other direction.

When I taught history, I always tried to avoid "counter-factual history", studying historical alternatives like "What if the British won the American Revolution?" or "What if the Nazis developed the atomic bomb first?" or "What if the attack on Pearl Harbor never happened?" Such speculation is fun and creative but rarely illuminates anything. It's challenging enough to try to analyze the history that did happen.
xigame

Post by xigame »

I think this will be annoying for all story readers for a while

Because it will take time to locate all the NEW characters to begin the story. :mrgreen:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Karo and Colleen would have much bigger roles, Yeltsin would be "The Opener of Ways", Grape would be Jasper's girl friend, and Peanut would have Sasha and Daisy competing for his affections (sorta like Betty and Veronica). I'm not very good at this. :?
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

While the answer is just "It would end being a different story", but if we presume that game happened somewhere else and nothing else change then: Other than the cosmic nerds, King and Tarot wouldn't be in the story. Sabrina is a huge question mark. We don't know if she moved to Babylon Gardens because she was involved in the game, or was involved in the game because she moved to Babylon Gardens. Or if she was involved with magic before or after the game. If these questions are brought up in the comic, I don't remember the answers. The Miltons would mostly be unchanged except that they don't have a magic temple in their backyard, and Keene's arc would change. I think he would still advocate for animal rights, but he would never be tempted by the temple as an easy solution, nor be humbled when it fails. He still might end up in heaven temporarily, I am not sure if that had anything to do with the game. The Pete Religion wouldn't have formed, but it is possible another one might just pop in its place. Zach wouldn't be the Seeker of Ways, but it isn't impossible that he would still feel a similiar role, just less likely based on what we know.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that Sabrina does have some psychic powers on her own that she got without Dragon. Being one of her avatars just increased her powers. Same with Tarot.

Plus I remember reading a story by Rick where she and her father Dr. Stanley D'Angelo met up with an indigenous group of coyotes who attacked them and she seemed to show some sort of affinity to her powers even then.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

No ferrets.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If there were no ferrets around there wouldn't have been a Henry Milton since they were his pets and without him no Babylon Gardens. Then all the characters that we know, love and sometimes wanna stab with a screwdriver wouldn't know each other.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Maybe they'd reside at Marvin Gardens. Duchess, of course, would live at Park Avenue.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Duchess would probably still live the high life even if there was no BG. I do believe that she would just flash money around whenever she went some place by herself when she is supposed to be leashed and with her owner to get her own way.
dorothygarcia31

Post by dorothygarcia31 »

Be a completely different narrative, I guess. That would be very obvious since the Game ended up branching off into a lot of different storylines. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If the comic stayed as slice-of-life though, a lot of the characters that were introduced wouldn't have existed. I can't imagine the comic now without Kitsune in ANY incarnation.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, given that he's now "mortalized", he might branch off into "Adventures of Kix and Kits". The Treehouse family has gotten pretty large, although several have not had speaking roles (or even appearances) for a looong time (Cory, Falstaff, Truck, Bruno, Custom Ink).

And, truthfully, I think Rick'll eventually succomb to another "cosmic temptation" - Tarot'll browbeat him into it. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a story about the treehouse residence if I am being honest. I'm sure a lot of hilarious hi jinx and interactions would ensue. ;)
Rupesh

Post by Rupesh »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:54 pm That would be very obvious since the Game ended up branching off into a lot of different storylines. Without it, the comic would have just focused 100% on a slice-of-life genre with only some action.
I would be very interested in the slice-of-life genre comic as well.
MischaTheWolf

Post by MischaTheWolf »

Agreed. There is a certain charm to it.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well since that is what Rick is gonna transition into I guess we will have to see how well it works. I wouldn't mind more K-9 arcs though. ;)
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

I actually preferred the cosmic side of HP!
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Tworet1

Post by Tworet1 »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:27 pm I actually preferred the cosmic side of HP!
Yeb :D :D
Last edited by Tworet1 on Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I was fine with it though I do wish it could have been balanced out more with the slice-of-life aspect of the comic. Though that might be because slice-of-life is the only genre I might be capable of writing. Along with slapstick. 🥧
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I liked oscillating between several genres although the last saga went on a bit longer than I preferred and some of the tangeants got a bit more melodramatic than I cared to endured. But, hey, Rick at his worst is still better'n most.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I know a lot of people had some issues with the last arc but hopefully a break is all Rick needs. Then he can have a magnificent return to form.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

As you suggest, Arc, I did get a sense that Rick just kind wanted to "get off the bus" with the whole "Dome" theme. (And, in fairness, even as a kid, I just never warmed to superheroes or any of the Marvel mob so the ending left me kinda, "yeah ... okay ... there's the exit ...")

Still, he left a number of openings that could lead into intriguing directions should he start to spin them out with Housepets 2.0. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

There is no way that Rick would make any references to the Cosmic Game in the reboot of the comic. The point of making Kitsune, Pete and Dragon mortal was to tie up loose ends from the game. Remember that the end of the last arc was Rick having the Game come to a definite end.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:27 pm There is no way that Rick would make any references to the Cosmic Game in the reboot of the comic. The point of making Kitsune, Pete and Dragon mortal was to tie up loose ends from the game. Remember that the end of the last arc was Rick having the Game come to a definite end.
I'm aware of that closure, Amazz. I was looking at other threads and character relations that got entangled, suspended, or supplanted by the climactic climax. For example, how will GK and family adjust to mortality, will Lois and Marion remain critters (or even continue to appear), or will the Peanut-Tarot litter lead to a Grape-Max brood? oh, the awaiting imponderables! ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would like to see somewhere down the line Grape and Max have a family of their own. Max might be even more neurotic and obsessive than King is about his children! XD