Would you transform into an animal?

Discuss the comic here

Would you Transform into an animal?

Yes, I'll gamble on chance.
15%
Yes, But only if I got to choose what animal I became.
43%
Maybe, if I got more information.
24%
NO, you're crazy!
17%

Total votes: 86

NHWestoN

Re: Would you transform into an animal?

Post by NHWestoN »

"Don't worry `bout life much, son. It ain't permanent no how." Pogo Possum
cola98765

Post by cola98765 »

I'm overthinking this way too much.

tl;dr: Yes if I get to choose species and gender… And we are talking about me from here.

So yeah… Imagine this scenario:
Keene manages to refine and "bottle up" the coin essence and he starts selling/giving this to anyone that wants to be an animal. Affected individuals are taken under ECP so they are not booted out of the society, but they still have to work for a living.
Change is instantaneous, age is recalculated from biological age (as in same fraction of lifespan), hybrids and mythical are not allowed, and everyone affected is indistinguishable from a normal animal of HPU.

Now… as a human from HPU, who happen to be a furry, and who had the same boring life as me here I wouldn't choose to do this as it's all or nothing for me, and being a random animal would not change much about "feeling good with my species".
But if we add "species and gender of choice" so I would be sure I'll be a fox of unchanged gender, then… Then I'm not sure that I would do this, again, as a person from that world.
I would want to be more on the "anthro" end of the spectrum with more standardised size and so on.

While being sort of anthro animal appeals for me from this boring world, being only an "ordinary" animal and losing 30 years of my lifespan would probably discourage me from this.
But whatever. Heaven is proven to exist in that world so why not.
Last edited by cola98765 on Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Even though heaven does exist in the HP! universe, I still wouldn't want to lose a good chunk of my life by changing my species. I actually like living even if life does suck at some points.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Still "No".
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Considering the fact that you are old enough to remember the Hindenburg Disaster, if you changed you probably would end up dropping dead. :lol:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Pr9bably not. What has been brought up is that the animal form becomes the equivalent age of the human. It's why King doesn't seem to be really old in comparison to the others.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Considering the fact that you are old enough to remember the Hindenburg Disaster, if you changed you probably would end up dropping dead. :lol:

I'm old enough to have missed the Hindenburg disaster … told them folks to take a steamer, but would they listen … nooooooooooooo………..
Well, okay, I lost the ticket.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I do get that, but if we were to say a human in their mid-50s to early-60s were to change into a pet, that form wouldn't last long because pets don't live to an equivalent age of their mid-50s to early-60s like humans do so humans turned pets that are up there would have their body give out.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Naw I think what D-Rock meant is that a human in their mid 60s who changed into a cat or dog would probably end up being a cat or dog somewhere in their 20s (if my estimation's anywhere near the mark :P). A roughly equivalent state of the body, not an equivalent number.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Vertigo Fox wrote:Naw I think what D-Rock meant is that a human in their mid 60s who changed into a cat or dog would probably end up being a cat or dog somewhere in their 20s (if my estimation's anywhere near the mark :P). A roughly equivalent state of the body, not an equivalent number.
That makes sense as part of the transition...yeah.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think I got it now. If a 60-year old was to transform into a cat or dog, they would end up becoming the equivalent age of the animal and not still have their own age (ie they would become the age that is the same age for a pet they were when they were human).

Based on that and using this dog years calculator, if we were to apply this to King and say he was 29 when he was transformed, he would be 4 in dog years since 4 dog years is the same as 29 human years according to this.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Except we've never used 7 years as our calculation on this forum because pets live twice as long
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

That calculator uses a slightly different formula then 1:7, but it still doesn't account for pets living twice as long. You've got the right idea though, Dayzee. There's still the fact that even with the conversion you'd still have a smaller number of years to live after the change because of the shorter lifespan.
Last edited by Champion Wallace on Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The formula that the calculator uses is 10.5 dog years per human year for the first 2 years, then 4 dog years per human year for each year after.

So if we say that Olive is 4 in human years, she would be 4 months in dog years (which is about right).
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Not quite. First of all, you read the wrong output. If we assume Olive has been aging in real time, your converter would tell us she was as developed as a 29 year old human last we saw her (which she clearly wasn't). You should always get a bigger number when converting from normal years to dog development (4 months couldn't be right either as according to Google babies don't start talking until 9-14 months). The real issue here is that calculator was made for real dogs and Housepets! dogs mature at a different, unknown rate (all we know is life expectancy). Unfortunately for you, even if we halve the numbers they still don't work out so I think the answer is King's pups haven't been aging in real time.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Foxfan2164

Post by Foxfan2164 »

Yes but if i could choose the animal. I currently would love to ba an animal and being human is way too hard tbh.
My Characters (Links and all)
Just your average Fox, Max and Marion fan.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Believe me I understand that feeling, but I wouldn't expect any other form of life to be any easier. This universe is, simply, not a very nice place.
Finding your way to overcome that, whatever you are or choose to be, is the great adventure.

Just because another form of life wouldn't have all the same challenges as humans doesn't mean that it wouldn't have others, or that those other challenges wouldn't be just a challenging. Or maybe even more. Nobody's yet crossed over to the other side who can let us know, after all.
But what is for sure is that hiding from the universe doesn't work. Everywhere is its definition.
Last edited by Vertigo Fox on Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Vertigo Fox wrote:Believe me I understand that feeling, but I wouldn't expect any other form of life to be any easier. This universe is, simply, not a very nice place.
Finding your way to overcome that, whatever you are or choose to be, is the great adventure.

Just because another form of life wouldn't have all the same challenges as humans doesn't mean that it wouldn't have others, or that those other challenges wouldn't be just a challenging. Or maybe even more. Nobody's yet crossed over to the other side who can let us know, after all.
Sad but true - watch a few nature specials before you decide.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If you do decide to change your species, who is to say that the species you chose because you wanted it wouldn't have a HARDER time.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:If you do decide to change your species, who is to say that the species you chose because you wanted it wouldn't have a HARDER time.
You'd hate to turn into an amoeba :?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is true but on the plus side since amoeba's reproduce by dividing before their death at the two day mark it means I would never die. I would also never be seen by anybody with the naked eye and it might be fun to absorb random ****. :mrgreen:
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

I'd turn into a fox!
I like foxes.
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Wow. I'd never have guessed you like those! From, say, your name! Or your sig.
:D :lol:
Welcome btw. ;)
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

FoxyBoi wrote:I'd turn into a fox!
I like foxes.

Me, too. Our dog, Sophie, is mostly sheltie but people always tell us she looks like a fox. We respond "Yeah, she gets that from her mother."
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Foxfan2164 wrote:I currently would love to ba an animal and being human is way too hard tbh.
I agree. It's rough being a human.
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Bishopcorva

Post by Bishopcorva »

If you really open the idea of what constitutes 'animal' then the choices can be much broader ranging.

Such as why not be an 'animal' race that is not of earth but is perfectly capable of being a resident here? Or if you could be a hybrid of two known species, or one of fantasy origin then the choices really would be quite tempting indeed.

That being said, yes I would, to be able to choose is the most optimal hoped for, but if not, random would be acceptable if such also included the ability to speak clear and concisely as in the Housepets! universe style.

My choice though? Afghan hound, if for nothing more than to be a fantastic looking goofball.
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

Might as well throw my two cents out there before I dip from the forums at some point.

Mark me down as firmly in the "No, you're crazy!" category, maybe as far as the "Maybe, if I got more information." group if I'm feeling froggy. Depends on how bad my life's gotten, or maybe as an alternative to Witness Protection. Reasoning: I'm the only non-furry in a friend group of nearly exclusively furries, this would bring all sorts of unwanted attention. Plus I like being a human just fine, thank you.
Granted, this is the HP! universe we're talking about, so it wouldn't be quite as bad as waking up as an animal tomorrow. I'd probably end up making a beeline for Japan where I could get citizenship. Got family there for schooling anyway, so I could probably work something out.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Ah but do you think you would be able to get into Japan then? I can't imagine that it is easy to get in and it would be a lot harder if you were an animal even in the HP! Universe.
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

I was thinking they could smuggle me back after they leave from a long break. Maybe go incognito as a service animal, depending on species, of course.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have to admit I am wondering about the policy of service animals when it comes to going and entering Japan.
Mollyrock11

Post by Mollyrock11 »

I would want to become a husky.
Hi I'm Molly. I'm a husky. I'm used to be human from different universe. The demigod, Cove sent me to Housepets! universe now. My new name is Luna.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hmm, this is back. Well, good. Answer's still "no". ;)