Just wondering

Discuss the comic here
AmigaDragon

Just wondering

Post by AmigaDragon »

In the Housepets world (comic canon only), are any of the pets spayed/neutered or all left unsnipped?
D-Rock

Re: Just wondering

Post by D-Rock »

Nothing has been explicitly or implicitly said in canon regarding that.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

No mention of it and doesn't look like it was ever brought up, so I highly doubt it.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
AmigaDragon

Post by AmigaDragon »

Another thing I've been wondering. Did Marion's mother ever report his disappearance to police or begin to accept the possibility that the squirrel was her son? Did (s)he make any further attempts to convince her?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think that she reported his disappearance because he wasn't gone for that long and while she was in denial about it, when Marion was sarcastic with her she began to believe it. I have to admit it looks like he didn't need to try that much after he gave her some snark.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I feel like there have been hints, almost by their absence. His mother wasn't shown or referred to in the Christmas strip that year and never even mentioned since. I hope we find out differently later, but I get the feeling she believes and accepts the squirrel is her son, but just can't deal with it.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Todd's mother seems to have accepted that her son is a red panda (`course maybe that's an improvement). Could be adults just accept that if you're gonna live in Babylon Gardens, weird stuff's gonna happen to your offspring.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that Todd's mother just loves her son and wants what is best for him and to get him whatever he needs to succeed. So she is overly affectionate because she wants him to know and seems to be a typical "beloved smother" in that case.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:24 pm Todd's mother seems to have accepted that her son is a red panda (`course maybe that's an improvement). Could be adults just accept that if you're gonna live in Babylon Gardens, weird stuff's gonna happen to your offspring.
To be fair, Todd's mother likely heard about Marion and Lois as well as other transformation victims by the Tim Todd was changed. Marion's mom found out transformation was possible at the same time she was being told that a female squirrel was her teenage son.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

AmigaDragon wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:08 pm In the Housepets world (comic canon only), are any of the pets spayed/neutered or all left unsnipped?
I would have to guess Sasha. I also think that you would probably need permission from the pet itself to spay or neuter it (akin to some people getting surgery so they won't have children) as an extra level of precaution.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:28 pm
AmigaDragon wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:08 pm In the Housepets world (comic canon only), are any of the pets spayed/neutered or all left unsnipped?
I would have to guess Sasha. I also think that you would probably need permission from the pet itself to spay or neuter it (akin to some people getting surgery so they won't have children) as an extra level of precaution.
Interesting question ... do pets have any say in that issue? I vaguely remember Officer Lundburg reflecting aloud on the issue of who "owned" Bailey's puppies - and her outcry.
Harry Johnathan

Maybe in more liberal, Western countries like the U.S
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Honestly, I'm just glad the comic doesn't force me to think about it one way or the other...
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Going to the vet was one of Rick's earliest comic sequences. However, the humor revolved the looming terror of getting vaccinated and the difference in reaction displayed by Grape (fear and loathing) as opposed to Peanut (calm and blase curiosity). Grape's intense anxiety about Peanut's fate also got a full dramatic staging. Rick's gentle process of revealing Grape's love and concern for her dog-brother that she's trying so hard to hide behind the veil of feline indifference is one of the endearing threads of the first Housepets narratives.

Neutering was not, shall we say, "on the table". ;)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

There was that one strip where Earl said that if Peanut ever had puppies, he’d find throwing snowballs to play catch as being funny. This seems to hint that Peanut isn’t neutered.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Though if Peanut ever had puppies, I'm sure the first thing that him and Jill would do is collapse from shock. While I'm sure he will be a great father, I can't really see him being one and I don't think Earl and Jill can either. LOL
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Grape might make a great Auntie, though.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

If Peanut and Tarot had pups, Tarot would be the one who lovingly laid down the law, Peanut would encourage creativity, but would be a great dad. In the case of Max and Grape, which was teased by Rufus, Grape would probably be the disciplinarian, with Maxwell being more like Peanut, and again, a great father. I also see Peanut and Max being great uncles. (Max may not be a sibling to Peanut or Tarot, but he’s close friends to both and I see him fulfilling the uncle role well)
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Max reminds me of a couple of my own uncles, so I can't disagree there.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I never had a fun uncle so I can't really give an opinion. Also with my parents my mother did it all and my father just sat on his duff all day and had to be pushed to do something.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Assume there wouldn't be any "hybrids" a la Beastars genetics.......
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

There was a forum member that was here a few years ago named Mickey that did delve a little bit into that with her fanfic. She had Bino date a cat and then she got pregnant. Of course she is long gone now. Another member my craziness ended up driving away... :|
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

If I recall correctly, there were other things going on in her life.

Don’t default to thinking it’s all your fault, Dayzee.
Harry Johnathan

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:42 pm There was a forum member that was here a few years ago named Mickey that did delve a little bit into that with her fanfic. She had Bino date a cat and then she got pregnant. Of course she is long gone now. Another member my craziness ended up driving away... :|
Dayzee, people will leave this place regardless of wether you were ever here or not.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its just that I can't help but think back to what a former mod here said to me at one point over PMs. He asked if I enjoyed post flooding and if i didn't stop it then people would leave and it was annoying him. So naturally I just default to thinking everything has something to do with me. :?
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Maybe that's the reason they're a former mod...
You are allowed to have free will, and even if there are people who don't like what you do with it that doesn't automatically make it your problem.
An extreme example, if a flat-earther accosted you on street and then said their unpleasantness was your fault for going out in public while believing the world is round, that still doesn't make them right.

As long as I've been here you've seemed like a completely reasonable and friendly person.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Friendly person yes I try to be because I don't have it in me to be rude or nasty to any other people even if they deserve it.

But REASONABLE however you use to describe me? I'm pretty sure that I am a bit warped if my humor is anything to go by. XD
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:16 am Its just that I can't help but think back to what a former mod here said to me at one point over PMs. He asked if I enjoyed post flooding and if i didn't stop it then people would leave and it was annoying him. So naturally I just default to thinking everything has something to do with me. :?
Like Vertigo said, Former! Posting is the purpose of forums.

I'm sure there are some folks who leave out of exasperation with someone, but I think most folks who "leave" just get tired of posting or lose the motivation to play. Perhaps someday, some one who is very data inclided and very, very bored will go through the members list and determine what percent of members stopped posting (a year ago? three years ago? five years ago? what would be the criteria for having "left?).

I am not knowledgeable of such things but it would not startle me to learn that Rick has held on to a lot more of his readership a lot longer than most on-line comics, strips, and serials.

At any rate, Dayzee, t'ain't you ... it's just life. ;)
Last edited by NHWestoN on Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If anybody ever wonders why I have a negative opinion of myself of low self-esteem, its stuff like this that does it. Even in real life.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:35 pm If anybody ever wonders why I have a negative opinion of myself of low self-esteem, its stuff like this that does it. Even in real life.
So very sorry if I hurt your feelings, Dayzee. :( That was not my intent at all.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about said former mod.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:42 pm I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about said former mod.
Well, that's reassuring. yeah, some times things do get a little sharp.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Doesn't help that if I take something the wrong way I might flip out.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:01 pm Doesn't help that if I take something the wrong way I might flip out.
Well, we'll always try to flip you back in. :lol: ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just hope that you have some mild degree of success because I can tell you right now unfortunately it usually isn't easy. <_<>_<
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

It's the Twenty-First Century - Nothing's easy anymore. ;)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Wondering how many of the news characters introduced in the last arc will continue in future stories or if Rick's going back to older themes and the much older crowd from the first years?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would guess maybe not a lot since we know there will be no more Celestials in the comic at all. I do think we will be seeing Lois and Marion around though since they were the last new character introduced and were heavily involved in the final arc.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:40 pm I would guess maybe not a lot since we know there will be no more Celestials in the comic at all. I do think we will be seeing Lois and Marion around though since they were the last new character introduced and were heavily involved in the final arc.
It would be interesting to see where Rick would take them. The strip has a number of couples ("ships"?) already working so Lois and Marion are kind of duplicative and overlapping. Unlike King and Bailey or Marvin and Tiger (or, of course, Peanut and Grape!), they seem kinda repetitive. However, Rick really seems stuck on them so I suspect we haven't seen the last of them ... or, like Fido and Sabrina or Jessica and Zach, they might just fade into the background.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I honestly wouldn't and can't see how King/Bailey, Fido/Sabrina or even Peanut/Grape would be the same as Tiger/Marvin. No way would they ever be more than just brothers.