Other things familiar, but different

Discuss the comic here
dr_eirik

Other things familiar, but different

Post by dr_eirik »

The strip with Marion commentating about Garfield brings and interesting point to mind. The comic would be very different in HP than in out world. Garfield would still be a lazy lump, but his comments to Jon would be out loud and with Jon capable of responding.

That brings the thought to mind: what else is similar, but different. For example, how does being in this world change Snoopy? A thought I had a long time ago: Do Hanna-Barbera cartoons even exist or were they done live action with various animal actors? Does Porthos, the beagle companion for Captain Archer in Star Trek, actually have a role to play?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
NHWestoN

Re: Other things familiar, but different

Post by NHWestoN »

A number of comic artists, Walt Kelly for example, professed that their characters had side gigs when they weren't "on stage in the newspapers".
Chieris

Post by Chieris »

In the Flip That Den arc, when Natalie turns on the television, she mentions that Discovery Channel is on a downhill since it's only airing soap operas. How did other nature-oriented channels change? Like the documentaries show the life of a special pet/feral or the life of forest animals with interviews?
I dunno, just imagine something funny here

And also just to advertise myself:
https://www.furaffinity.net/user/chieris/
https://www.deviantart.com/dangraythewolf
Retrospring for my Housepets characters: https://retrospring.net/@Garfield474
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think so and when that didn't work they started showing pet soap operas. Since soap operas are in a decline and there are only 4 left in the US I imagine that the Discover Channel isn't doing too well.
Chieris

Post by Chieris »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:58 pm Since soap operas are in a decline and there are only 4 left in the US I imagine that the Discover Channel isn't doing too well.
I'm wondering if they have a plan to renew the selection. They might replace soap operas with sitcoms that have overused and unfunny jokes.
I dunno, just imagine something funny here

And also just to advertise myself:
https://www.furaffinity.net/user/chieris/
https://www.deviantart.com/dangraythewolf
Retrospring for my Housepets characters: https://retrospring.net/@Garfield474
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Chieris wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:43 am
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:58 pm Since soap operas are in a decline and there are only 4 left in the US I imagine that the Discover Channel isn't doing too well.
I'm wondering if they have a plan to renew the selection. They might replace soap operas with sitcoms that have overused and unfunny jokes.
Most of the current sitcoms already fit your criteria, Chieris. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

To be fair, whenever a soap opera in recent years got cancelled because of low ratings or it was too much money to produce, it was usually replaced by a talk show. Those are far less expensive to produce.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:02 pm To be fair, whenever a soap opera in recent years got cancelled because of low ratings or it was too much money to produce, it was usually replaced by a talk show. Those are far less expensive to produce.
Audience demographics also changed over time.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Soap operas are meant mostly to appeal to stay-at-home mothers. The reason soap operas have terrible writing is because they aren't made as "art", just merely something to fill time until commercials. Since stay-at-home mothers were also the main target for soap products, they often overlapped and the term "soap opera" was born.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Soap operas don't have terribly writing. They are just written for a target audience. Some of them have some really good writing. You can't say that it is all horrible. Maybe if you are thinking about parody soap operas then yes. Its ignorant to say they are all lousy.

Though it doesn't help that we have the same head writers recycled over and over again. :ugeek:
Harry Johnathan

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:19 am Soap operas don't have terribly writing. They are just written for a target audience. Some of them have some really good writing. You can't say that it is all horrible. Maybe if you are thinking about parody soap operas then yes. Its ignorant to say they are all lousy.

Though it doesn't help that we have the same head writers recycled over and over again. :ugeek:
The Soap Opera format intrinsically is against creativity. They have to film an episode almost daily for an entire year, with scripts often written only 30 minutes before it's time to start filming. It's literally the least likely possible environment for any sort of good writing to sleep through.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Except that there is occasionally some good writing even if you don't want to see it and scripts are written months in advanced instead of on the fly because that is something that is not possible at all. You are thinking of reality television shows that do that. If you still feel that way about saop operas there is nothing I can do to help you. But its wrong.
Harry Johnathan

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:09 pm Except that there is occasionally some good writing even if you don't want to see it and scripts are written months in advanced instead of on the fly because that is something that is not possible at all. You are thinking of reality television shows that do that. If you still feel that way about saop operas there is nothing I can do to help you. But its wrong.
I'm not even wrong, as opinions are inherently subjective. Look up Austin McConnell's video about the death of Soap Operas.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

This really isn't the place to argue about this, yall ;)
Take it to PMs if you're going to continue
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm not. I feel like I made my own point and I will move on now.