What is Magic(k)?

Discuss the comic here
BastiColler

What is Magic(k)?

Post by BastiColler »

I’ve enjoyed looking at some of the Housepets comics over the last few months mainly because I think they’re very well-drawn and adorable, but some of the stories I find interesting too. I’ve never been a comic person, so Housepets is the only comic I’ve ever really followed, to some extent. I discovered it a few months ago through FurryFoofi, and I watched his videos where he reads the comic with his friends. While looking through some of Housepets, I’ve noticed that every time they say the word “magic,” it’s followed by a ”k” in parentheses. I’ve tried to figure out why this is but have found nothing. I wondered if some of you more devoted Housepets fans could explain it to me, since I honestly have no idea what that extra “k” could be for.
NHWestoN

Re: What is Magic(k)?

Post by NHWestoN »

Actually, Bast, i've wondered the same thing.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I might be able to shed some light on this. It could be a reference to the Pagan / Wiccan religion / belief / mythology.
Simply put, Pagans / Wiccans believe magic really exists, but it's not the kind of magic where you can conjur spells out of thin air with a wand, it's more like an invisible energy you can feel within yourself, within other people, within all living creatures, including trees and other plants, and even within the planet earth itself, and you can manipulate this energy through a form of meditation. You can't see it, but you can feel it moving around doing whatever you command it.
Also, Pagans / Wiccans spell it Magik, with a k.
Rick could be trying to be all-inclusive of religions that believe in a form of magic(k) existing in our reality.
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

English is very old and constantly changing. If you trace back a word through the ages, you can find all sorts of different stories about the origin of different words, and some of them are even true. Magick is the archaic spelling of magic, as in the way it was previously spelled. On an occasion, the archaic spellings of words reenter the lexicon for any number of reasons, and his use of magick might be a reference to something, but sometimes writers just use the archaic spellings of words to be fancy.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That clears it all up at least to me.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

A plot device.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have always just thought that there was no difference and it was an archaic way to spell it. Now I know differently.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

D-Rock wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:52 pm This might help. https://www.learnreligions.com/magic-and-magick-95856
That Webpage wrote:Aleister Crowley (1875-1947) founded the religion of Thelema. He was largely associated with modern occultism and influenced other religious founders such as Wicca's Gerald Gardner and Scientology's L. Ron Hubbard.

Crowley started using the word "magick" and gave several reasons why. The most often mentioned reason is to differentiate what he was doing from stage magic. However, such usage is unnecessary. Academics discuss magic in ancient cultures all the time, and no one thinks they are talking about the Celts pulling rabbits out of hats.

But Crowley gave several other reasons why he used the term "magick," and these reasons are often ignored. The central reason was that he considered magick to be anything that moves a person close to fulfilling their ultimate destiny, which he called one's True Will.

By this definition, magick doesn't have to be metaphysical. Any action, mundane or magical that helps fulfill one's True Will is magick. Casting a spell to get someone's attention is most certainly not magick.
Inspired by Wicca. :mrgreen:

LOL @ Celts pulling rabbits out of hats :lol:

But yeah, look at that, I was pretty spot on with my explanation. Wooo! :mrgreen:
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Potentially wanting to evoke an archaic spelling of the word to make the power itself feel old, since as far as I understand the story the magic(k) these characters find is ancient and poorly understood.
Going by the last arc, even heaven and hell don't seem to completely understand what it's capable of.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Which might be bad since they could end up overusing it and causing some sort of permanent damage that can never be fixed.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Well, bad for the world.
Fun for us reading about it!

And come to think of it, Steward doing that thing with turning half the population or whatever proportion into animals might already be that.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think he is at half just quite yet but he is getting there. :D
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Yeah I may have confused him with Thanos for a second. :lol:
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am sure that Thanos is who he is striving to be.
Harry Johnathan

Since the question's been answered, this thread should probably be closed.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Does go on a bit. No harm, though.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm pretty sure that the only one that can request a thread being closed is the original starter. Though if this does devolve into something else it might be also.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Starting this thread is literally the only post Basticollar made, though, so it's unlikely they'll return to ask this thread be closed.
I have no idea why they're not participating in the forums more.
Harry Johnathan

Maybe it's the only reason they joined.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Either that or they decided they weren't interested anymore which I can understand as I lose interest in a lot of stuff.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Well, it's actually cause they were a bot, but you know... :P
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

I don't see why you would use a bot for this? A quick search shows that there is a youtuber called FurryFoofi who made videos about Housepets, and so it isn't like this is standard template where they just replaced the title placeholder with Housepets, or if it is some type of template, it is very oddly specific. It seems like making a bot and having send a message that you would still need to type out from scratch seems like a more effort than just making account?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe they just wanted to show off that they could do it. I had no idea that bots could have a profile made by someone and have it customized and you can get the bot to post something specific.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I guess to make them seem human enough to get their advertisements in?

Anyway, back to the topic, the k is added to separate the showman magic used in shows for the more occultic stuff for things like demon busting and divination.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.