Worst Books You've Ever Read

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

The Game

Worst Books You've Ever Read

Post by The Game »

What was the worst book you ever read? Or maybe you had expectations for it and it totally failed?

Take Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins for example. I give the book 2 1/2 stars, because it was very very VERY far from my expectations.
i don't recommend reading this part if you still wanna read the book -> and pretty much everyone dies
Medli

Re: Worst Books You've Ever Read

Post by Medli »

Brian D´amato, 2012.
I didn´t finish it because it went quite boring in the first half :/
<+Vaddie> ... WHY AM I A GIRL ON FIRE WEARING 30 PAIRS OF PANTS ALL OF A SUDDEN
* +SickDynar is like the fountain of youth, except with drool instead of youth.
Aah, I LOVE quotes :3
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The Secret Life of Bees. It was the most bloated piece of garbage I've ever read. I had to read it for school and like half the girls and all the boys in my class hated it.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Impure Blood. That has got to be the worst book ever written! It's just... talks about a woman, her stupid life, and in the end, her husband abuses her, beats her up, gets drunk every day, and she goes around, visits other women, enters the house, smokes a cig, drinks coffee and it's the end of the book! That's got to be the STUPIDEST book ever written!!!
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

The Five People You Meet in Heaven, I found it extremely boring, it failed to pull me into the story at all.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Anything by Ayn Rand, my god how boring can you get. There is no speed, its like trudging, waist-high, through quick sand, so monotonous!
Divinaparadiso4

Post by Divinaparadiso4 »

I shall satisfy a decent portion of people here by saying Twilight. Bland story, cardboard characters, poor writing and the killing of TWO classic monsters does not make for a good book.
Hey look a distraction!!!!
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

Little House on the Prairie. More like large fail house in nowhere.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Shyanne wrote:Anything by Ayn Rand, my god how boring can you get. There is no speed, its like trudging, waist-high, through quick sand, so monotonous!
It doesn't really help that she put her entire philosophical/economic writings in her books (she never wrote any papers or other nonfiction), leading to a ridiculous amount of bloat. Honestly I'd rather listen to a Rush album. The same message, but actually fun to experience.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

anything that replaces proper characterisation with a generic sob story

pet peeve
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Angels & Demons, Deception Point and The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

I can't tell how I managed to read through that horridly written drivel.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The trick is to turn your mind off.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Like the "Worst Songs Ever" thread, yet another topic I'm going to avoid. T_T Y'all hate my taste in music and books. D=
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

Beagle wrote:Like the "Worst Songs Ever" thread, yet another topic I'm going to avoid. T_T Y'all hate my taste in music and books. D=
Aww, I don't hate your taste in music, or books!

Well, except for Twilight.

You know, I really hated The Lightning Thief. I thought it was really dumb, so I never read any of the later books.
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Iv read the entire Harry Potter series. The ending thoroughly disappointed me. I was hoping Harry would realize that he can't possibly beat Moldymort with magic, and that the only way to win was to ditch his pathetic looking back pencil stick of a wand and pull out a glock. Moldymort can outsmart other wizards, but can he outsmart the Bullet???
Enty

Post by Enty »

Well, since somebody has already mentioned Twilight...

I'm gonna toss in almost any video game book every written (Chapter one, he fires his gun. Chapter two, he fires his OTHER gun)

And I might get some flak for this, but I was rather dissapointed by "The Great Gatsby" Not the WORST I've read, but still, I expected better of and American Classic.
This is not a signature.
The Game

Post by The Game »

Senator_Sunburst wrote: You know, I really hated The Lightning Thief. I thought it was really dumb, so I never read any of the later books.
You know, I really HATED The Lightning Thief.
HATED
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?! :shock: :shock:
How could you hate that book??! It was so good! The other books in the series were better, but that one was good too! You really missed out by not finishing it til the end. I mean, Last Olympian was THE SOCKS ROCKING BOMB!!!!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:
Beagle wrote:Like the "Worst Songs Ever" thread, yet another topic I'm going to avoid. T_T Y'all hate my taste in music and books. D=
Aww, I don't hate your taste in music, or books!

Well, except for Twilight.

You know, I really hated The Lightning Thief. I thought it was really dumb, so I never read any of the later books.

lol, YAY! Someone who actually doesn't hate my interests! :lol:

I'll give you Twilight. Most guys hate it; ususally the only reason they go is because their girlfriends make them.

But hey, I'll give you guys a hint: Taking your girl to one of their favorite movies + they get to see Mr. Taylor Lautner with his shirt off= you being a very happy dude. *nudge, nudge, wink, wink*

I meant nothing over a PG rating people, don't bite my head off. D:

Ohh heyy, I hate the Lightning Thief too. =O Well, I don't hate it, I read 13 pages and got bored. eh he.
Senator_Sunburst

The Game wrote: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?! :shock: :shock:
How could you hate that book??! It was so good! The other books in the series were better, but that one was good too! You really missed out by not finishing it til the end. I mean, Last Olympian was THE SOCKS ROCKING BOMB!!!!
It's been a really long time since I read it. I really didn't like it. *shrug*

Beagle - I've seen all three Twilight movies so far without girls making me. But that's because I see basically every movie that comes out, and I at least slightly enjoyed the first two just because I thought they were so ridiculously dumb that they were funny. The third one though, I hate to say it, had a competent director, which made the movie really boring to me instead of funny.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Senator_Sunburst wrote: Beagle - I've seen all three Twilight movies so far without girls making me. But that's because I see basically every movie that comes out, and I at least slightly enjoyed the first two just because I thought they were so ridiculously dumb that they were funny. The third one though, I hate to say it, had a competent director, which made the movie really boring to me instead of funny.

I haven't seen Eclipse yet. Though I really want to. =P

If you hated them and thought they were stupid, go see Vampires Suck. You'd probably love it. The Twilight-Haters are saying it's all the rage. XD

I'm not creepy obsessed with Twilight like most girls are. I even make fun of it half the time. So I'm going to see V.S. as well, when I get the chance. ^_^
Senator_Sunburst

Beagle wrote: I haven't seen Eclipse yet. Though I really want to. =P

If you hated them and thought they were stupid, go see Vampires Suck. You'd probably love it. The Twilight-Haters are saying it's all the rage. XD
I'd hope you'd like Eclipse better than the other two, it's a pretty well made film.

Oh no no no no no. Movies by Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer are the only ones I will unequivocally not watch in theatres, no matter what. They are the devil, they are the cancer of the movie industry, there is no way I'm paying to watch a movie by them.
I'm not creepy obsessed with Twilight like most girls are. I even make fun of it half the time. So I'm going to see V.S. as well, when I get the chance. ^_^
Have you not seen any of the other movies by these guys?! It'd be the worst sort of torture to put yourself through one of those movies! Don't do it!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I know of plenty of girls who hate Twilight. I, myself, have never read or seen any of the books/movies, so I will reserve final judgment, but they don't sound like anything I want to be a part of.
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Typhon wrote:Iv read the entire Harry Potter series. The ending thoroughly disappointed me. I was hoping Harry would realize that he can't possibly beat Moldymort with magic, and that the only way to win was to ditch his pathetic looking back pencil stick of a wand and pull out a glock. Moldymort can outsmart other wizards, but can he outsmart the Bullet???
I can say I have never seen a single Harry Potter movie nor read a single one of the books, I'm rather proud of that..
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Sleet wrote:The Secret Life of Bees. It was the most bloated piece of garbage I've ever read. I had to read it for school and like half the girls and all the boys in my class hated it.
That is probably the 3rd worst book I read in school. I honestly can't remember anything about it except it was bout a bunch of African Americans getting oppressed. Sob story fails.

2nd is "To the Lighthouse" which is probably the biggest troll book ever. They don't even go TO a lighthouse, supposedly its a look into human mind or whatnot but it just is horrible.

1st is "God of Small Things" let's just say sob story bout lowest caste in India which has bad things written in pretty great detail. Also it was one of the books we had to read for senior year, not that I want to censor books in school, but WTF!?!
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Sketcherofstuff

Post by Sketcherofstuff »

I HATE everything by Gordon Korman. Idiot thinks he can relate to kids? Well think again. KIDS DON'T SAY GOSH DARN IN AN AGGRESSIVE MANNER OR GIVE EACH OTHER WEDGIES IN 9TH GRADE! YOU HEAR THAT GORDAN KORMAN, YOU FOOL!?

Also, the second WW2 book by Jeff Shaara (usually an excellent author) called Wave of Steel about the D-Day landings was incredibly dull and off topic. The first two hundred pages didn't really get the book anywhere. The first book about the fighting in northern Africa was excellent however, with just as much dialogue, but much more interesting.
Daniel Plainview- I DRINK YOUR MILSHAKE!
Sinder wrote: Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
Enty

Post by Enty »

Hah, just need to get this in there.

I have a habit of annotating my books. You should see all the things I wrote in Twilight. (The most common words were "shuttup" and something I'm not sure is okay to post here)
This is not a signature.
Senator_Sunburst

Maybe you could get a book deal if your annotations are particularly funny?
Kaido

Post by Kaido »

There was a book that I had to read for my Literacy exam a couple of years ago.

Lord of the Flies, I think it was called... that book was awful.

"FlintTheSquirrel cries for Kaido. He is the only one who understood me not understanding things. :("
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hmm. I liked that book a lot. To each his or her own, I suppose.
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Kaido wrote:There was a book that I had to read for my Literacy exam a couple of years ago.

I actually enjoyed that book. Very grisly, but entertaining as well.
Flamboyant-Pencil

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

Harry Potter overall was pretty okay. Hell, it got me into reading.

However.. The epilogue was just.

James Sirius Potter? Albus Severus Potter? Lily Luna Potter?? THESE ARE NOT THINGS YOU NAME CHILDREN.
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Senator_Sunburst

There is nothing wrong with the epilogue!

Why does everybody hate it!? :P
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I liked it too. I think people didn't like it because it was too idealistic after such a gritty book (by Harry Potter standards). Which is the point.
Flamboyant-Pencil

I just really think the names accentuated the "and they all lived happily ever after" feel of the epilogue. Which is part of why I hate the names so much.

Also the names just sound so stupid.
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
The Game

Post by The Game »

Kaido wrote:There was a book that I had to read for my Literacy exam a couple of years ago.

I haven't even read it, and I STILL know that its horrible.
I asked my Language Arts teacher about it, and she made a face and said "EW!"
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I had to read that and do a project on it the summer after 8th grade. Worst. Book. Ever. >____< The themes in that book are way out there and far-fetched. There are plenty of better books you can make a kid read over the summer.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't really see "when separated from social influences, human nature leads to evil" as that far-fetched. Or did your teacher/professor try to act like every little thing is symbolic of some obscure thing?
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

Divinaparadiso4 wrote:I shall satisfy a decent portion of people here by saying Twilight. Bland story, cardboard characters, poor writing and the killing of TWO classic monsters does not make for a good book.
u no wuts weird? evn tho ai'm ah girl ai absolutly HATE twailaight
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

@Sleet- Well, that part I can understand. The whole, "we have no government, we have anarchy" thing.

I can understand every symbol she pointed out to us, I just thought the book as a whole was boringly awful. It was bloated with a lot of unnesary info. Like, 3 pages in 10 pt font just describing a medow... really? Really? I have better things to do during my summer than read about the deep green grass and flowers. >___<

Heyyyy sonic, I haven't seen you in a while. c(:
Flamboyant-Pencil

I dunno, I enjoyed LOTF.
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED