2021/03/10 - Coming Out Of The Attic

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2021/03/10 - Coming Out Of The Attic

Post by D-Rock »

[2021/03/10 - Coming Out Of The Attic]
Title Text: you'd think I'm...........nuts

...Marion, got something you'd like to admit?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
dr_eirik

Re: 2021/03/10 - Coming Out Of The Attic

Post by dr_eirik »

I kind of think that Marion has grown attached to fur and tail. Wonder if he's down on Earth because he thought Lois wanted to be human again. Notice she didn't say WE are human again?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

D-Rock wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:03 am [2021/03/10 - Coming Out Of The Attic]
Title Text: you'd think I'm...........nuts

...Marion, got something you'd like to admit?
yeahloisivegottensousedtobeingasquirrelthativeactuallykindacometolikeitand...
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Oh! Oh! Oooooooh!
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
ProtoDot

Post by ProtoDot »

I feel like we've been here before.
"BEHOLD! The power of an ANGEL!" - Gabriel, moments before getting beaten up by a GoPro
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Discussing future plans
but hiding from the truth.
Is going back again
a plan of little youth?
Lois isn’t fooled here,
she sees the little smile.
He’s getting used to this;
thinking it for a while.
Wondering if Human form
is what shapes his new path.
Right now he’s having fun…
though he does need a bath.
(Remember all the soot?)
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Cody

Post by Cody »

I'd personally like for them both to wish to remain as animals because otherwise, I don't think we would see much of Lois or Marion anymore. Though maybe they'd like to change their genders back for consistency's sake or at least ask to become the same species as one another for compatibility's sake? 🤔

On another note, these two are both as cute as ever. Especially Marion!
I'm caught in a life and I can't get out
Crazy_Simone

Post by Crazy_Simone »

Marion, welcome to be a furry.
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

ProtoDot wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:41 am I feel like we've been here before.
Yes, indeed.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Instead of larceny, Marion, you could become a real estate agent.
Ale Donkey

Post by Ale Donkey »

I'm going to miss these two when they become human again. :cry:
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

dr_eirik wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:06 am I kind of think that Marion has grown attached to fur and tail. Wonder if he's down on Earth because he thought Lois wanted to be human again. Notice she didn't say WE are human again?
I'm thinking that too. I'm wondering if, when the time comes, Marion (and I assume Lois) is gonna decline the offer to be human again and stay as their furry self.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Argent

Post by Argent »

Looks like the attic is also a closet.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

dr_eirik wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:06 am I kind of think that Marion has grown attached to fur and tail. Wonder if he's down on Earth because he thought Lois wanted to be human again. Notice she didn't say WE are human again?
I wouldn't put too much stock in that. I think he's so caught up in the moment he legitimately did forget that part.

We haven't seen much from either of them implying they want to stay animals and if they get the chance to switch back I think they probably would unless something goes against them on it. Now that said do think if they become human again they would probably be written out of the strip and I could very much see fate dealing them a hand that does make the preferred choice being to stay furred at the end of all this...

Scenario 1: They get the a chance to be human again but have to sacrifice it either to save and/or revive a friend or stop Stewart and Eurodant.

Scenario 2: Stewart gets a pyrrhic victory and ALL the humans in the town get turned into animals even though they stop him from destroying the world or anything beyond it; rendering their transformations more moot since society would be permanently upheaved anyway.

Scenario 3: Kitsune is being his usual self and while becoming human again is an option there's some sort of caveat that makes them decline it...or while that could be the reward it isn't but they'll still come out ahead in some way. Or they get a choice like King about returning to humanity...but choose the wrong one for their goals.
Welsh Halfwit wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:55 am Discussing future plans
but hiding from the truth.
Is going back again
a plan of little youth?
Lois isn’t fooled here,
she sees the little smile.
He’s getting used to this;
thinking it for a while.
Wondering if Human form
is what shapes his new path.
Right now he’s having fun…
though he does need a bath.
(Remember all the soot?)
I laughed at that harder than I thought I would. Very clever.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Elwood Blutarsky wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:09 am Scenario 1: They get the a chance to be human again but have to sacrifice it either to save and/or revive a friend or stop Stewart and Eurodant.

Scenario 2: Stewart gets a pyrrhic victory and ALL the humans in the town get turned into animals even though they stop him from destroying the world or anything beyond it; rendering their transformations more moot since society would be permanently upheaved anyway.

Scenario 3: Kitsune is being his usual self and while becoming human again is an option there's some sort of caveat that makes them decline it...or while that could be the reward it isn't but they'll still come out ahead in some way. Or they get a choice like King about returning to humanity...but choose the wrong one for their goals.
Between those three? Scenario 1 seems the most likely to occur and it's been something I think may end up happening. Scenario 2 seems less so as...I dunno, having Steward win in the end just doesn't feel right. Scenario 3....could happen but I see the huminals (the humans who got hit with Steward's coin) being fed up with Kitsune at that point and not wanting to play any more games.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
ProtoDot

Post by ProtoDot »

Elwood Blutarsky wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:09 am
I wouldn't put too much stock in that. I think he's so caught up in the moment he legitimately did forget that part.
With an expression like that, I think it's a theory that might hold water. I wouldn't even be surprised if Lois started searching so she could get Marion turned back and not herself, with Marion having a similar plan.

Remember, the two have been animals for I think a year now, and I can think of one other character who really didn't want to be an animal at first only to decide that their new life was worth keeping.

That being said, I really hope Rick does something about the forced sex change, because it's an aspect of all this that's made me uncomfortable.
"BEHOLD! The power of an ANGEL!" - Gabriel, moments before getting beaten up by a GoPro
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

I've become accustomed to Marion and Lois's furred form, will be odd to see them back as human again if that does transpire (though I have a suspicion it may not).

Daunted.
Disproportionately Dappled
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Last night, I had only seen the comic page itself, not the title of the comic, on my phone right before going to sleep. With the context of just the comic by itself, it seemed like he had honestly forgotten. Sort of like how you can get caught up in a routine and a status-quo and forget that things weren't always like they are in that routine & status-quo.

But having seen the title, there's definitely a lot more to it than that. Like, you don’t name something “Coming Out Of The X” and have it not be about somebody having figured something out about themselves and revealing it either incidentally or what-not. That would be a terrible bait-and-switch, unless we're paying attention to the wrong animal and the bait-and-switch is that Lois doesn't want to be human again; Her saying "That's gonna be a moot point when you're human again" could possibly be a hint, as Eirik pointed out.

Or, as ProtoDot pointed out, it could be that Lois & Marion are both fine with being the way they are now and don't actually want to tell one another. That'd be a really fun twist/reveal at the end of this arc.

Also regarding Kitsune and what kind of boon he might give after all this is over: I do think that with Bahamut, Cerberus and the rest of Heaven all privy to what's going on, it's going to be a straight-up "Anything within Heaven's power" type of boon. This would make it a non-repeat of the way King got his choice so that the story isn't retreading old ground. It also gives everyone who helped out, either directly or indirectly, something of benefit. And lastly, it gives room for my personal theory that Todd's Mom is gonna ask to get turned into a red panda (she packed those supplies which could wind up coming in real handy) and become a regular character, much to the consternation of Todd. Or maybe he develops over the course of this arc and learns that having a mom that loves him that much is awesome? That'd be fun too.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Alright, as it looks, they're really seeking for something about the demons inside the houses, keep the searching being Great Kitsune's eyes and ears. :) It's good you're thinking about a future life as squirrel, Marion, but you can indeed turn back as human after all this thing will be fixed. ;) How could you forget that? :lol: Your Lois will be back as human, too. :D And, once back as you were since you're born, the college will finally accept you. :P
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Kitsune may be lucky he still has all nine tails when this is over........
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Looks like this is going to be the direction that Rick decides to go in then. Even though it seems like it would be a forgone conclusion, I’m just glad that it is Marion and Lois seemingly CHOOSING to stay as animals it looks like rather than them being forced to stay as animals. As I said before, I am a big fan of choice.
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

I think that Marion and Lois staying as animals is a safe bet for various reasons, several of which have already been mentioned. I feel at this point, they might want to stay as animals. It is exactly for these reasons I wouldn't be surprised if they were forced back to their human forms, however if we are thrown a curve-ball later, by the nature of it being a curve-ball, it could be anything. Bahamut floated the idea of just resetting the timeline all together.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Marion wisely keeping his options open. Always good to have a backup plan.
Oxymoronic_Gryphon

Post by Oxymoronic_Gryphon »

I still think the reason they got genderbent was because they were always trans but hadn't acknowledged it to themselves yet. They're teenagers, it's very likely that if they are trans they haven't worked it out yet, possibly thinking 'everyone's uncomfortable with [gender-related thing], it doesn't mean anything'. No-one else got genderbent with the coins or anything, and the fact that they were together and both possibly trans isn't as rare as you might think from looking at the raw numbers - a lot of friend groups formed when one or none of them realise they're some flavour of queer end up with everyone from that friend group eventually realising they're queer - as a post I saw and really resonate with says, 'we know our own before we know ourselves'. My friend group from high school definitely did the thing - only one of us knew themselves back then, and now all of us, bar one that everyone thinks is just repressing it 'cos of their mum, have turned out to be various flavours of queer, even the one who was most performatively heterosexual.

I think the magic(k) just fit them to the gender they didn't yet know they were at their core, and without the intervention of mystical powers, they may have realised on their own in another two, five, ten years.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

What if they get ,like, superpowers to change between their human and animal forms at will? It'd be a nice suberversion of Rick's pervious story arc endings.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
tomindex

Post by tomindex »

Code: Select all

[spoiler]Hi I'm just overanalyzing everything to the point of toxicity so don't take it too serious:To me, this entire comic has been layers and layers of double meaning, including what it means to be an animal in this universe, which ranges because for some it means one thing and for other characters it means a different set of things, and for marion to "come out the attic" which, in terms of coming out: is something extra. cause the closet is one thing, but the basement is another, and maybe to marion being this form means the decision between being a college student or getting a trade, going the typical path or going into something head first cause really that's the decision. His form is a squirrel, squirrels are used as adventurous creatures, curios ones. They are fast, they are gatherers. marion in the bible was apparently the *sister of moses, and fought the egyptians. but reworking biblical text is maybe a bit too much I don't know if the author went that far as to literally remake it cause there are some differences, but the character and personality between marion the squirrel and marion the adolescent are two sides of the same coin. It is a conflict of religion, or moral duty from a broader perspective. As a squirrel he is fighting demons in the earthly realm, and as an adolescent he's fighting himself cause teens are developing. It's actually a state of selflessness vs a state of selfishness which it seems he's conflicted with. If I go the typical route does that mean I become void of meaning? Does that mean I'm choosing evil if I comply with society? If I reject society and choose to fight demons I am one form, if I choose to leave them be and focus on my career I am something else. The reality is the higher the standards are the better, you're improving, but as a person the question of staying true and fulfilling that extra mile of societal obligation to others: fighting demons, is still an active choice you need to remind yourself of even if your career is settled. I'm not saying I do but that's what I took from it.[/spoiler]
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

tomindex wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:30 pm marion in the bible was apparently the *sister of moses
That'd be Miriam ;)
ProtoDot

Post by ProtoDot »

Oxymoronic_Gryphon wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:26 pm I still think the reason they got genderbent was because they were always trans but hadn't acknowledged it to themselves yet. They're teenagers, it's very likely that if they are trans they haven't worked it out yet, possibly thinking 'everyone's uncomfortable with [gender-related thing], it doesn't mean anything'. No-one else got genderbent with the coins or anything, and the fact that they were together and both possibly trans isn't as rare as you might think from looking at the raw numbers - a lot of friend groups formed when one or none of them realise they're some flavour of queer end up with everyone from that friend group eventually realising they're queer - as a post I saw and really resonate with says, 'we know our own before we know ourselves'. My friend group from high school definitely did the thing - only one of us knew themselves back then, and now all of us, bar one that everyone thinks is just repressing it 'cos of their mum, have turned out to be various flavours of queer, even the one who was most performatively heterosexual.

I think the magic(k) just fit them to the gender they didn't yet know they were at their core, and without the intervention of mystical powers, they may have realised on their own in another two, five, ten years.
I thought that if you weren't comfortable in your own body, it wouldn't take you all the way until high school to figure that out.

Now that I'm thinking about it though, I've actually seen several people that price it is possible. Maybe I've just never put much thought into it.

As a sidenote, this does raise questions about how much the transformation is influenced by personal preference, subconscious or otherwise.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I personally don't think that Rick is going to go that deep but that is just my opinion.
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

I'm calling it: Marion ENJOYS being a squirrel.
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:42 pm What if they get ,like, superpowers to change between their human and animal forms at will? It'd be a nice suberversion of Rick's pervious story arc endings.
Be intriguing if it was not under their concious control (I'm thinking Woof! The tv series style if I recall right).

Daunted
Disproportionately Dappled
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:42 pm What if they get ,like, superpowers to change between their human and animal forms at will? It'd be a nice suberversion of Rick's pervious story arc endings.
I don't really see that happening. I'd be more inclined to think that they'll end up stuck in their current forms thanks to something Heck does.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I will only be OK with it if they are OK with it and its a choice they make which judging by Marion's reaction to being reminded that he WILL eventually be a human again he isn't really gonna be bothered by.

I wanna say that maybe Rick will subvert our expectations and actually end up turning them back to human but I sort of can't see that happening if I am being honest.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

FireworkFox wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:09 pm I'm calling it: Marion ENJOYS being a squirrel.
Oh yeah.
--

Nothing up, nothing down,
Marion's stressed and starting to frown,
Knowing that life has to restart,
And then it'll all fall apart.

Marion, remain a squirrel?
Lois's mind's gone on to whirl,
"Oh no, he forgot this part,
Is he nuts? Is this the start?"
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hey its either he embraces him becoming a squirrel and not getting his hopes up above getting turned back to normal or he keeps on hoping and when (probably not "if") his hopes are dashed he has a severe nervous breakdown. :|
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

I'm posting this here, now, nearly a month after this page released, because I haven't followed the comic at all since like December and I only just got to this page as I'm catching up and had a thought I wanted to share before continuing. NOTE: I haven't really read too much of what's already in this thread beyond skimming it.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I'd like to see Marion and Lois changed back to their old selves if given the chance. At this point, what it seems like is that they'll be given the same choice King was given, albeit with perhaps a few less catches, and given obvious clues in this page, at least one would decide to stay as an animal, prompting the other to also stay, even if it wasn't their original intention, in order to stay with the other. And honestly, if they go through this whole ordeal and choose to stay an animal, it's basically just a repeat of King's story, narratively speaking. Subject is unwillingly turned into an animal, hates it, eventually finds friendship/love as an animal, and when given the choice, chooses to remain. I've already read that, and having Marion and Lois go through basically the same arch as King in that way is just recycling an old story with a different coat of paint. Having them choose to change back, however, would instead make them a nice foil, in a way, to King, and provide narrative contrast. King's life before he was transformed was rather unpleasant, and was undeniably improved by his transformation. The same can't really be said for Marion and Lois.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I think no matter which way Rick goes with this there is something interesting to explore mostly because they actually have something to lose by staying animals. It makes their inner reasoning for whatever decision they make much more complicated than King's situation which was mostly about him pushing past his former humanity to find that his new life really was so much better. If they have a reason to stay, it's gotta be weighed against what they will lose.
That said, I also think I might prefer them to return to humanity. I think there's a lot this experience can teach them, and I think that lesson would best come to fruition after they change back. Though, the noble sacrifice to stay animals in order that the others get their humanity back would also be interesting, but there's also several other currently animal characters who would be interesting in that role too. Lots of fun ways for this storyline to go in my opinion
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

I personally feel like it is likely that there story will end with them turning back into humans. Housepets has this massive cast of characters competing for screen-time, and so when a character story ends, I think it makes sense that there role either changes or they get written out of the story. It is possible that they find some other niche and that is why they continue to be apart of the story as polymorphed animals (notably, King did this. After his role in the game ended, he had the new character arc known as fatherhood, but King was also one of the central characters.)

This is also a biased perspective, because being honest, I am not a big fan of Marion. I just find him really bland.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have a strong suspicion that Marion and Lois will probably be the only ones to remain animals though whether it is by choice remains to be seen. While I would highly dislike that outcome, I will live with it. Though I might dislike it less if the two of them choose rather than be forced to remain as animals.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

I'd say at the moment they don't have much motivation to stay animals.