Joys And Sorrows

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Joys And Sorrows

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

More annoyance: The impeachment trial wasn't on today so I thought I might be able to watch my soap opera. Nope, the governor decided to come on today to spew the same **** about COVID.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The missus' thrashed me three games of Monopoly this afternoon. Nap time!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:36 pm The missus' thrashed me three games of Monopoly this afternoon. Nap time!
You must play Monopoly fast! Love a board game, catan and 7 wonders the most popular in our house, agricola also good to while away the hours.
Disproportionately Dappled
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Don't have to worry about my soap being pre-empted anymore!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Joy: Mrs Deer liked my Valentines gift :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Looks like the promised snow we were gonna get didn't happen last night!

Sorrow: My granduncle got hit by a car

More Sorrow: Valentine's Day was the day we buried my grandmother after the piece of **** hospital killed her
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Sorry to hear about that. How is your grad uncle doing, Dayzee?
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm really sorry you had to go through that. :(

Joy: I get my second COVID-19 vaccine Wednesday!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Today is finally over so I don't have to be reminded of what I was doing every second of every moment about what I was doing after my grandmother's funeral.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Friend of our down in NC is having a really rough time of late. Her mother (95) was diagnosed with cancer after seeing two previous doctors who misdiagnosed her affliction. T is a hard person to help as she has depression and is convinced everyone is a knave, an idiot, or a pervert. Truthfully, I'm not sure why she confides in us, although she does have a couple of other friends (who will also call us with "You know what T said about you two" to which we reply "Nope ... and don't wanna know.") She really is a tragic individual.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:42 am Friend of our down in NC is having a really rough time of late. Her mother (95) was diagnosed with cancer after seeing two previous doctors who misdiagnosed her affliction. T is a hard person to help as she has depression and is convinced everyone is a knave, an idiot, or a pervert. Truthfully, I'm not sure why she confides in us, although she does have a couple of other friends (who will also call us with "You know what T said about you two" to which we reply "Nope ... and don't wanna know.") She really is a tragic individual.
Depression can do funny things to people, maybe that's why she acts the way she does, either way it is her who ultimately suffers for being unkind about/to people I guess.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: My granduncle is doing fine even if the police dropped the ball on the accident.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:40 pm Joy: My granduncle is doing fine even if the police dropped the ball on the accident.
Excellent!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Good to hear he’s doing fine, Dayzee.

Anger/Depression : My brother’s wife came down for the weekend, (they’re going through a rough patch but are trying to work it out) and she snobbishly said that, all I did was work at a market, and as a legal assistant and so I’m not a success, and her parents were better parents because her brother and her are successful. (He works for Disney animation, she’s an architect.) She also said the market was full of stupid hicks because they didn’t have Starbucks coffee, and that she’d have to think about allowing her kids to eat anything from there because they (the market workers) are “obviously stupid” . I got angry and took a walk. But, I couldn’t help thinking that maybe she was right about me and that I was a failure. Depression is a ***** like that.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

trekkie wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:57 pm Good to hear he’s doing fine, Dayzee.

Anger/Depression : My brother’s wife came down for the weekend, (they’re going through a rough patch but are trying to work it out) and she snobbishly said that, all I did was work at a market, and as a legal assistant and so I’m not a success, and her parents were better parents because her brother and her are successful. (He works for Disney animation, she’s an architect.) She also said the market was full of stupid hicks because they didn’t have Starbucks coffee, and that she’d have to think about allowing her kids to eat anything from there because they (the market workers) are “obviously stupid” . I got angry and took a walk. But, I couldn’t help thinking that maybe she was right about me and that I was a failure. Depression is a ***** like that.
I despise people like that. Just snobs. Disgusting. Even worse since I live in the second poorest city in Montana (according to PEW) and I literally know no-one that has more than $50 in their bank account at any given time.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Your first sentence, trek, really sets the context you need - "they're going through a rough patch". Whatever successes she might be enjoying for now in her career, they are of no real matter because of her anxieties over her marriage. People undergoing such stresses react in various ways. There are some who project their anxieties and inadequacies through being more sensitive and empathetic to others. Your sister-in-law apparently needs to reassure herself by belittling and degrading others. You have to wonder what psychological defects would prompt someone to vomit such emotional bilge, unprovoked, on a family member. Perhaps, unintentionally, she gave you some insights into why she and your brother are becoming estranged.

She clearly feels a need to reassure herself of her own status by degrading others, itself a sign of a pretty low sense of self. Ironically, I'm guessing, she came from a fairly privileged background because she attributes her status to her parents. Well, in my world, such circumstances should call for a sense of gratitude and personal humility rather than arrogance. Having been an officer and then a teacher, my experience was to look at people not as what they are but as what they could become. That was how I was treated and that lifelong support from some many other people, along with dumb luck, some unplanned breaks, and God's sense of humor, accounts for whatever advantages I "earned" in life.

I was brought up that all work is honorable if it contributes to the well-being of others. It is an honorable thing to be a legal assistant. Your occupation is not a measure of your worth as a human being; it is a developmental stage in your social and economic life. Enjoy it, learn from it, and dream of going on to many greater things - in the law, in business, in writing, in writing - claim it all. My mother used to say, "Life is a banquet and too many people pass it just sucking on the ice in their water glasses." Who cares what a Starbuck's swilling, self-indulgent, one-percenter aping lout thinks? (Okay, that was unkind...sorry. Not very, though.) Spare a little compassion for your struggling compatriots, for yourself, trek, maybe even for this terribly unhappy architect who can't see where she's going because it's really hard to walk anywhere safely looking down your nose at everybody you meet. Oh, and maybe for your brother, too. You're building a future, trek; she's likely creating a past.

To better days, eh.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: My OCD might be starting to flare up.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Joys, got to see my Dad in person for the first time since Christmas!!! :) Great to see him, he's o.k. recovering slowly.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Annoyance: The Everfi modules that I am taking for Financial Literacy as part of my Job Prep class are incredibly ANNOYING and made me want to throw my computer down our stairs. It took me almost an HOUR to get 100% on the quiz. It lets me retake it over and over and over again and I did it because I wanted that 100% even though I know it doesn't matter.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

DDeer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:10 pm Joys, got to see my Dad in person for the first time since Christmas!!! :) Great to see him, he's o.k. recovering slowly.
That's been a looooooong time, DDeer! Rejoicing with you! :D
Harry Johnathan

DDeer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:10 pm Joys, got to see my Dad in person for the first time since Christmas!!! :) Great to see him, he's o.k. recovering slowly.
Good for yous!

SORROW: Anemia sucks.

JOY: Saw my baby sister Billy for the first time since 2018 on Videochat!
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:18 pm
Good for yous!

SORROW: Anemia sucks.

JOY: Saw my baby sister Billy for the first time since 2018 on Videochat!
Hooray for reunions. :)
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

NHWestoN wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:45 pm

Your first sentence, trek, really sets the context you need - "they're going through a rough patch". Whatever successes she might be enjoying for now in her career, they are of no real matter because of her anxieties over her marriage. People undergoing such stresses react in various ways. There are some who project their anxieties and inadequacies through being more sensitive and empathetic to others. Your sister-in-law apparently needs to reassure herself by belittling and degrading others. You have to wonder what psychological defects would prompt someone to vomit such emotional bilge, unprovoked, on a family member. Perhaps, unintentionally, she gave you some insights into why she and your brother are becoming estranged.

She clearly feels a need to reassure herself of her own status by degrading others, itself a sign of a pretty low sense of self. Ironically, I'm guessing, she came from a fairly privileged background because she attributes her status to her parents. Well, in my world, such circumstances should call for a sense of gratitude and personal humility rather than arrogance. Having been an officer and then a teacher, my experience was to look at people not as what they are but as what they could become. That was how I was treated and that lifelong support from some many other people, along with dumb luck, some unplanned breaks, and God's sense of humor, accounts for whatever advantages I "earned" in life.

I was brought up that all work is honorable if it contributes to the well-being of others. It is an honorable thing to be a legal assistant. Your occupation is not a measure of your worth as a human being; it is a developmental stage in your social and economic life. Enjoy it, learn from it, and dream of going on to many greater things - in the law, in business, in writing, in writing - claim it all. My mother used to say, "Life is a banquet and too many people pass it just sucking on the ice in their water glasses." Who cares what a Starbuck's swilling, self-indulgent, one-percenter aping lout thinks? (Okay, that was unkind...sorry. Not very, though.) Spare a little compassion for your struggling compatriots, for yourself, trek, maybe even for this terribly unhappy architect who can't see where she's going because it's really hard to walk anywhere safely looking down your nose at everybody you meet. Oh, and maybe for your brother, too. You're building a future, trek; she's likely creating a past.

To better days, eh.
Thanks, West, Rydr.
Oh, I hope things get better. Being stuck inside, because of the weather and pandemic with a five year old and a two year old is rather stressful though, on everyone. One thing she did recently was insult my cousin, with whom I am very close, saying that if she (my cousin) must be dumb was truly smart she’d get a job in NYC and not South Carolina. (My cousin is in charge of the bird department at a zoo in Columbia.)

Concern: My cousin set her oven on fire while roasting vegetables. (Everyone is fine and they’re at her in-laws.)

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Annoyance: We got snow which means at 7:30 AM when my mother comes home from work I will be out there shoveling the driveway which is IMPOSSIBLE to get into when it is full of snow and ice.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Trek, she's in charge of the bird department in Columbia, SC ?! That sounds absolutely fascinating! Columbus is a pretty good town to live in - or so I think from a couple of visits while I was in North Carolina.

My youngest daughter had a short stint working with the Giraffes at a zoo - she loved both the animals and the work.

Conversely, as my old man used to say, "Working in a job you hate is good training in case you go to Hell." Your sister-in-law is probably just envious. ;)
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

West, My cousin loves the birds and animals but management and patrons get on her nerves. She’s also trying to be a teacher.

Weirdness: Another cousin had an oven mishap while roasting veggies. (Everyone is fine) Honestly, I’m just glad I mainly have vegetables raw, never really like cooked veggies. Except maybe mashed cauliflower and steamed asparagus.

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

My folks pretty much knew one way to cook veggies - overdone.

My daughter said the same thing - the only problem with zoos were the bipeds outside the enclosures. The Giraffes had a little gal, and Ellie just adored her (baby Giraffes are just achingly cute), but she had the opportunity to live-in at a farm that the owner wanted to turn into a horse farm/riding school so she moved on. To my sorrow, I admit, because I always wanted to work in a zoo and ... well ... we parents sometimes project such vestiges of our own childhoods on our kids. Oh, and the owner was one of these golden guys who knew everything about money but how to manage it, but that's another story for another beer. ;)

I wish your cousin all good luck in pursuing a career in teaching.

Sorrow: I learned a retired colleague of mine died on the 15th. He was a fellow veteran and a good fella, but a heavy smoker. At the beginning of a Fall semester, he was experiencing some shortage of breath. As the weeks wore on, the breathing difficulties became worse, his energy level sank, and he suffered occasional blackouts. By the end of the semester, he received a diagnosis of emphysema and put in his retirement papers. Courageously, Mickey adjusted very adroitly - he found some exercises that helped, carried a breathing "football", and enjoyed golf and travel right up until his passing. A salute, a couple of suds, and a brief moment of sadness to yahs, ol'chum.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: Not really a big deal but because we observe Lent a little bit, we can't have any meat in Friday until April.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Sorry to hear about your friend, Weston.

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

trekkie wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:50 pm Sorry to hear about your friend, Weston.
Thanks, trek. You're kind.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: We finally had Domino's for dinner tonight which we hadn't had in a long time back at our old house last year in March.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:09 pm My folks pretty much knew one way to cook veggies - overdone.

My daughter said the same thing - the only problem with zoos were the bipeds outside the enclosures. The Giraffes had a little gal, and Ellie just adored her (baby Giraffes are just achingly cute), but she had the opportunity to live-in at a farm that the owner wanted to turn into a horse farm/riding school so she moved on. To my sorrow, I admit, because I always wanted to work in a zoo and ... well ... we parents sometimes project such vestiges of our own childhoods on our kids. Oh, and the owner was one of these golden guys who knew everything about money but how to manage it, but that's another story for another beer. ;)

I wish your cousin all good luck in pursuing a career in teaching.

Sorrow: I learned a retired colleague of mine died on the 15th. He was a fellow veteran and a good fella, but a heavy smoker. At the beginning of a Fall semester, he was experiencing some shortage of breath. As the weeks wore on, the breathing difficulties became worse, his energy level sank, and he suffered occasional blackouts. By the end of the semester, he received a diagnosis of emphysema and put in his retirement papers. Courageously, Mickey adjusted very adroitly - he found some exercises that helped, carried a breathing "football", and enjoyed golf and travel right up until his passing. A salute, a couple of suds, and a brief moment of sadness to yahs, ol'chum.
Sorry to hear about your loss Weston, my condolences, good to raise a glass to lost Friends, nice to hear he managed to keep doing things he enjoyed until the last.

Daunted
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Thanks, you're kind, Daunted. Life has a way of drawing us out of old circles of friends and then, unexpectedly, an old bulb will flicker and take light for a short time. There's a certain wistfulness that accompanies such partings because, of course, they have a finality to them we loath to acknowledge. :)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sophie had a bad day yesterday.

Morning was fine, walks and friends, playing with the scotties and her rotwieler pup pal, although there was snow and ice on the road. Since her left front paw is missing, she's always anxious about falling. That afternoon, however, she did not want to go for her afternoon constitutional even though that's when "nature's call" is especially insistent. She was listless, lethargic, and frequently just stopped walking, even though she had both me and the missus as companions which usually makes her very playful and "puppyish". We only went a short way and I practically had to drag her home (I kinda wish now that I had carried her). She didn't eat, drank only a little, and spent the rest of the day under the bed.

Today, she has been a little better, a little less droopy, and she ate and drank a bit. No interest in walks or scottie dogs, but functions are normal. She's become withdrawn and passive, not our enthusiastic, poised little fox. The sparkle in her big brown sheltie-dog eyes is subdued. But Sophie, I have to remind myself, is a very senior dog (18 years +/-) and that even in normal times, walking and running is a bit of a challenge. Perhaps her back or hips are getting out of whack, but there's no apparent discomfort. We'll just have to wait. :cry:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: The congestion that I was dealing with yesterday seems to have finally went away with the help of the Benadryl that I took (but knocked me on my backside).
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:15 pm Sophie had a bad day yesterday.

Morning was fine, walks and friends, playing with the scotties and her rotwieler pup pal, although there was snow and ice on the road. Since her left front paw is missing, she's always anxious about falling. That afternoon, however, she did not want to go for her afternoon constitutional even though that's when "nature's call" is especially insistent. She was listless, lethargic, and frequently just stopped walking, even though she had both me and the missus as companions which usually makes her very playful and "puppyish". We only went a short way and I practically had to drag her home (I kinda wish now that I had carried her). She didn't eat, drank only a little, and spent the rest of the day under the bed.

Today, she has been a little better, a little less droopy, and she ate and drank a bit. No interest in walks or scottie dogs, but functions are normal. She's become withdrawn and passive, not our enthusiastic, poised little fox. The sparkle in her big brown sheltie-dog eyes is subdued. But Sophie, I have to remind myself, is a very senior dog (18 years +/-) and that even in normal times, walking and running is a bit of a challenge. Perhaps her back or hips are getting out of whack, but there's no apparent discomfort. We'll just have to wait. :cry:
Really hoping she rallies Weston, she sounds a charming soul.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

She has, Daunted, Sophie's improved steadily today and has been pretty much her old self. We'll get her to the vet some time in the next two weeks to see if something more sinister has been going on. Because of her missing paw, her skeletal system is misaligned in about ten directions. Sophie is not at all disturbed by her afflictions - she runs very fast, a true miracle of God. But, as it will for us all, eventually her time will come .....

Thank you for your kind words. They meant a lot to me.
Harry Johnathan

SORROW: I feel like a burden on my family.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Went to the eye doctor finally since I last went 5 and a half years ago and I got a new prescription and lenses that will prevent whatever "blue light" is from giving me a headache!

Sorrow: The manufacturing plant is in Texas which because of everything is a bit of a mess.
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

Sorrow: Old news at this point, but Daft Punk called it quits. While I never really knowingly listened to their music, I do recognize that they were absolute titans of the industry and that the music I do listen to probably wouldn't exist without their influence. Always sad when a legend retires. (Plus, at least Thomas is/was a Texas Rangers fan like me)