Chat Thread 43: Good Ol' ArcWolves' Club (Voting's hard,OK?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Chat Thread 43: Good Ol' ArcWolves' Club (Voting's hard,OK?)

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have seen some bandannas on collies and retrievers but no other dogs. We can't even put ANYTHING like that on our dogs because they would rip them off.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sophie like her bandana now that it's no longer hot weather. Being a sheltie, it might get a little icky in the hot weather. Of course, it doesn't hurt that putting on the bandana is part of the "let's go on patrol" ritual. Her two scottie neighbors also wear bandanas outside, so maybe that's an influence, too.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

It’s odd my parents dog hates the bandanna, but when we sent my cat to the kennel with her, he loved his, and he hated collars back then.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe if your parents dog goes to stay at the kennel he will come to love bandannas like your cat does.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... or it becomes a fashion statement. ;)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My mom's dogs also complain about just about anything you could put on them.

Which I'm okay with. Dogs aren't dolls, they're animals!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Our dogs over here will bark at anything that moves or is near the house even if its 6 feet away from the house. They are also very jealous of our cats and of each other. The younger one who is 1/4 Chihuahua and 3/4's Shih Tzu I swear is VERY neurotic.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sophie's pretty mellow. She'll announce herself to strangers that come into the house but becomes tolerant very quickly. She likes younger folks and will follow them around if they're in the house - a bit of a concern since she's the perfect size for tripping over.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It's almost been a decade since we had a big dog but he was also pretty mellow also though he didn't follow anybody around the house and actually just laid somewhere which was usually in the way of people. XD
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Our border collie, Smiley, was pretty good size. Our animals were selects from our kids and they tended to favor cockapoo size critters. Smiley was a sweet chap, took good care of the other dogs, cats, and frequently us. He battled cancer and arthritis the last year of his life and, when the pain got too much, we had to help him Home. It was a melancholy departure.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I've only had to euthanize a pet once and that one time I was in the room and it was enough for me. That was 9 years ago. My mother said if that was how we acted when a pet died, how would we react when a PERSON dies.

Two years later we had our answer.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My mom's older dog seems like he stopped barking entirely, which is not convenient. He can't communicate otherwise!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Seems odd. Any other behavioral changes?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:26 am Seems odd. Any other behavioral changes?
Yeah, that is unusual. Most dogs have patterns in their expressions - some bark at everything strange, some only at other dogs, some only at people when they come to your dog. One of our older dogs barked whenever we said hello (even in the telephone!), assuming that "hello" meant a visitor.
Sophie backs only when a stranger comes into the house and, in her case it's a kind of "greeting/warning" ("Hi, I'm the dog so don't try any funny business but I like treats, head pats, and adventures and I could like you!").

Changes in barking might be okay if not accompanied by other changes like energy levels or eating habit changes?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

My two dogs like to bark at everything and once they get started they don't shut up and it really gets on my mother's nerves. But that is what happens when you have small dogs. So she is gonna have to deal with it. Doesn't help that the male is 1/4 Chihuahua.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

My parents' dog just barks at dogs, their cat growls at strangers though.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

If I were you I'd keep a close eye on my dogs. It seems worrying that they ain't speaking.

Well, today I just learnt that in 1995 a direct to video film studio in Britian created a live-action version of Fist of the North Star with Sir Malcolm McDowell.

It was... actually way worse than I was expecting it to be.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I saw a single clip. Think they tried to make Kenshiro into Rambo.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:34 am My two dogs like to bark at everything and once they get started they don't shut up and it really gets on my mother's nerves. But that is what happens when you have small dogs. So she is gonna have to deal with it. Doesn't help that the male is 1/4 Chihuahua.
As I said, Sophie's not much or a barker. However, she whines a lot - we attribute that to her Sheltie genes (the breed supposedly whines a lot). Sometimes it's when she wants something, sometimes when she comfy, and other times maybe she's just "offering an opinion". Since she's a senior dog, though and somewhat sway-backed, we pay a bit more attention than maybe we need to just in case it's pain.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its always good to pay attention to an older dog since you never knew when they are gonna be on their last legs sadly. :cry:
Harry Johnathan

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:25 pm Its always good to pay attention to an older dog since you never knew when they are gonna be on their last legs sadly. :cry:
I had the misfortune of my old pointer dog Bones dying. We knew he was on his last days when he started pooping all over the house. Took him out to a field... we buried him on my foster-dad's farm. :(
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Death sucks, man...but I dunno if living forever is that much better...
I mean...eventually you're gonna run outta stuff that interests/excites you anymore.
Then you're just sat there, existing, bored out of your skull, losing your mind...
Yeah, kinda ruins the whole concept of heaven, don't it?
Kinda makes you question what would be the point? WOULD there be a point?
And then that leads to the question of is there a point to anything and everything?

I got y'all having an existential crisis now, don't I?
Yeah, try having that running somewhere in the background of your mind pretty much constantly...that's me.

Huh, an existential crisis arc might be an interesting idea for the comic...
Harry Johnathan

The Blue Fox wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:20 pm Yeah, kinda ruins the whole concept of heaven, don't it? Kinda makes you question what would be the point? WOULD there be a point?
I always believed that Heaven would either constantly create new dramatic scenarios for the inhabitants to participate in or somehow your brain would he rewired to eliminate boredom... assuming you'd have a brain in Heaven considering it's your spirit, not your soul (body) going there.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:53 pm
The Blue Fox wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:20 pm Yeah, kinda ruins the whole concept of heaven, don't it? Kinda makes you question what would be the point? WOULD there be a point?
I always believed that Heaven would either constantly create new dramatic scenarios for the inhabitants to participate in or somehow your brain would he rewired to eliminate boredom... assuming you'd have a brain in Heaven considering it's your spirit, not your soul (body) going there.
Yeah I've been kinda thinking myself that it would be more interesting if heaven allowed you to live dramatic scenarios much like the ones we faced here on earth.

The whole re-wiring thing or wiping our memories or generally messing with our brains through heavenly magic doesn't sound too nice to me, though.

There's another way to deal with it where your eternal soul is given a "way out" of heaven where you basically fade into nonexistance, thus giving value to heaven's rewards again as it becomes finite, but not as finite as life...they pretty much go with this solution at the end of a TV series I watched with my partner called "The Good Place"...they refer to it as "like a wave returning to the ocean", it's essentially your spirit returning to the universe.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I sort of don't really want to think of fading out of existence as a possibility when you end up passing on because it scares me a lot. I know how dumb that is since I wouldn't be able to realize it since I wouldn't exist but it sounds terrifying to me. I would much rather go to Heaven after my time is up. And because there are a lot of things people in their lives want to do but don't get to do it in their lifetime, they can go and do that. Not to mention that you will get to spend as much time as you want with your lost love ones but that is just me.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:14 pm I sort of don't really want to think of fading out of existence as a possibility when you end up passing on because it scares me a lot. I know how dumb that is since I wouldn't be able to realize it since I wouldn't exist but it sounds terrifying to me. I would much rather go to Heaven after my time is up. And because there are a lot of things people in their lives want to do but don't get to do it in their lifetime, they can go and do that. Not to mention that you will get to spend as much time as you want with your lost love ones but that is just me.
Yeah...the idea of there being nothing waiting for me on the other side of death scares me, too. :?
I fear that, despite no longer existing or whatever, because I have experienced existence, I will be somehow...aware of the eternal nothingness that is then my reality, unlike the eternal nothingness that exists before my birth.
With a heaven preceding it to allow me to do/see/experience whatever I want as much as I want, I feel this would at least allow my spirit to eventually be fulfilled and at peace with nonexistance.
That still leaves the question of what the point would be, though...if there even is one :?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I’m sure it varies with each belief, but one could argue that these worries are merely a mortal hang-up, as in they’re something we ultimately won’t worry about in Eternity.

For now, live as you need as long as it does no harm.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The problem with my living is that while it does no harm, its not really living. Its just existing to tell you the truth. Oh well. Maybe in the future it will change. :?
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Joy: Because of the extended warranty I bought I got a new iPad after my old one's screen broke.

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

trekkie wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:11 pm Joy: Because of the extended warranty I bought I got a new iPad after my old one's screen broke.
Bravo for warranties that are actually honored!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I had written proof which helped. Doesn't guarantee success but it does help.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:16 pm The problem with my living is that while it does no harm, its not really living. Its just existing to tell you the truth. Oh well. Maybe in the future it will change. :?
The future is still unwritten. Life is potential, and as long as we're around we can use it!
Harry Johnathan

The Blue Fox wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:58 pm
The whole re-wiring thing or wiping our memories or generally messing with our brains through heavenly magic doesn't sound too nice to me, though.
I'd actually fully embrace a re-wiring of my brain. I mean, OCD is a nightmare to live with. Just constantly needing to open/re-open doors, fearing that you'd be cursed if you didn't; leaving bread all over the kitchen counter because if you don't the "demons will get you" etc. etc. It's hell. It really is.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

trekkie wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:43 pm I had written proof which helped. Doesn't guarantee success but it does help.
Yeah, proof should do it ... but, y'know ... a warranty is basically a promise and, if you made a promise, you ought to (a) stand by it and (b) not have to have a customer remind you of the obligations YOU made.

In writing.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sometimes they even need that in order to be moved into doing something because if not then they will try to get out of it. Most companies that are dishonest will always try to use this tactic and the sad part is it may work.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:23 am Sometimes they even need that in order to be moved into doing something because if not then they will try to get out of it. Most companies that are dishonest will always try to use this tactic and the sad part is it may work.
They try to wear you out. In the Army, we called in "boxing with the giant marshmallow". (You punch the thing until you drop from exhaustion but at the end - surprise! - it's still a giant marshmallow.)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

At least with a giant marshmallow you could go and light it on fire and that solves your problem by burning it to a crisp but the last time I checked its frowned upon to set people on fire.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:40 am At least with a giant marshmallow you could go and light it on fire and that solves your problem by burning it to a crisp but the last time I checked its frowned upon to set people on fire.
Hasn't always been. We've made some progress.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah it just took somebody realizing that most of the people that they did weren't witches. :lol:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:09 pm Yeah it just took somebody realizing that most of the people that they did weren't witches. :lol:
And lots of environmental regulations about outside burnings.