2020/12/25 - Tidings Of Comfort And Joy

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Startrekfan47

Re: 2020/12/25 - Tidings Of Comfort And Joy

Post by Startrekfan47 »

Any bets on how long it'll take for someone to add "My Future Self and Me" to the tvtropes "HP!" Page? Assuming it hasn't been done already, I haven't checked. Anyway, happy holidays whichever way you celebrate.
Frank

Post by Frank »

This is actually really really unsettling to me. I'm sure I'll warm up to it by next year

Merry christmas one and all
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

CuriousCnidarian wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:08 am So we got a Winter now, eh? I know someone out there has to have said there'd be a male Winter/Autumn as the foil/counterparts to the female Spring and Summer.
[Scratch that - Fox isn't Winter yet - he becomes Winter after he dies, I assume. Winter is the older (dead) Fox.]

And yeah, Autumn will probably be Mungo.

Merry Christmas! My second Christmas special here
That someone was me, afaik/afair, gosh darn it (mild upset that i was wrong about WHO winger would be). And I was hoping it would be cats and hell themed. Ohwell. But who IS autumn? That would mean they probably date the Huskies too? Seeing as winter is also a husky, i don't know if it would be mungo, why the only NON husky though? Seems a bit jarring to me.

But if winter is somehow a mix of ALL fox's past and future lives, wouldn't THAT mean spring & summer ARE still alive under different names, and that we will see them, eventually? Also why is spring the only one with wings?

Still, GOSH DARN IT!! was hoping my idea would follow through and not the cliche one. Atleast part of my idea was picked up. That's one thing that gives me some resolve. That my idea didn't fall on death ears...
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I don’t think that Rick looks to the forums for how an idea goes often, if at all.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

MrBlueSky7 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:24 pm Considering he's from the Future and all, I'm surprised that 'Winter' is okay with all those Scars on him. You think being in Heaven and all, he'd be rid of at least that scar the Badger gave him...
Sir Chestnut wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:04 pm Fox seems like the type who's proud of his battle scars. I could kind of see the Wolves being the same way honestly. Except Jack would probably want his arm back of course.
Yeah, I was thinking Fox would think scars look cool or something myself. Totally agree here.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Were Jack wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:52 pm
Obbl wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:18 am
Were Jack wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:46 am Tbh, I don't like Winter design. I mean. He looks super old. I think Fox could look bigger, but still look young. It's heaven. Spring and Summer don't look old at all.
What, are you saying old people can't look smokin' hot? Cause I think Spring and Summer might have a few words for you :P
And yeah, I'm not ready to jump on the Mungo as Autumn bandwagon yet myself. We'll see (or not as the case may be :lol: )
I dunno, but as I said it could just be the panels. His being whiter doesn't help it 😂 But his half closed eyes made that look a bit. But still, younger Fox is hotter to me :)
Hey, Obbl, thanks for the kind words on Fox/Winter as a "smokin" senior - `course, I admit to some personal inclinations there (my age, stage, and all that). Knowing Rick's story-style, he'll likely save an "autumn reveal" for a later saga so speculations on that identity for now are just asking for a Fall. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So glad that Older!Fox managed to talk to his younger self and get him to understand he needs to live his life because its going to be really great and it gives Fox hope for the future and revitalizes him because he really needed it. Anyway Fox can still enjoy a fun time and also get his revenge in Mungo a bit because he doesn't seem to live the slides. xP
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

I really did enjoy the end to this arc. I've been thinking about a bunch of this stuff too and have been told this stuff by my therapist over the last year or so, as I've been harmfully comparing myself to my friends and others around me that have some of their biggest life goals complete while I still don't even have a degree. It's always nice to get some more counter-reinforcement to those thoughts in my head that I'm mediocre/can't improve myself anymore/have peaked, and it's even nicer to get that from a webcomic that I've come to love over the past couple of years.

Now, ludicrous joke crackpot theory time: Autumn is Mungo, and in the far-flung future when he gets to Heaven he gets to stay named Mungo as part of the four of them. The reasoning for this is that Mungo does something so heroic on Earth that they rename the entire season to his name in his honor. On the radio, in some future strip of the comic, they go “Today is the first day of Mungo, everyone, so make sure to put on your light jackets and get yourself some pumpkin spice whatevers!” :P
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

It's not too crackpot to assume that Mungo is Autumn. There really aren't any other characters who fit. Presumably, they'd have to be close to Fox and have no other serious attachments.

My crazy theory is that Fox has not yet met the living Spring and Summer. If Heaven is eternal, then nothing is to say that they don't meet Fox in a future arc.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Is it just me, or does Fox getting scarred for life by Steward feels really sad? :(
MrBlueSky7 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:24 pm You think being in Heaven and all, he'd be rid of at least that scar the Badger gave him...
Yeah, Steward's not exactly someone you want in your "these people managed to get a mark on me" list.
wolfbrothren wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:53 am Winter said he is an "amalgamated convergence of the threads of [Fox's] soul" I think that is implying he is a combination of all possible outcomes of Fox. Like a living Shrodinger's cat. It is only once he actually reaches heaven is a path fully realized and, even then, he is allowed to change his appearance to however he likes once in heaven.
Is this the answer as to how there can be alternate realities AND an afterlife? All the different versions of you merge into one after death?

20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Is the soul greater than the sum of its parts, convergently speaking?
KathYohneke

Post by KathYohneke »

you know it was established before that those that go to heaven in this series can just look and be whatever they wanted, like say Henry Milton becoming a ferret just because.

So future dead him just decided to keep all those scars, or just added more because he thought it would look cool. heck he could have just decided to be young again but nope older and rugged.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Think of it like this; scars are a sign that you survived whatever gave them to you.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

dr_eirik wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:51 pm My crazy theory is that Fox has not yet met the living Spring and Summer. If Heaven is eternal, then nothing is to say that they don't meet Fox in a future arc.
In the world of Housepets! logic, that actually makes an awful lot of sense.
With this single arc, Rick has suddenly opened up all sorts of storytelling possibilities for Fox. I'm eager now to see how he comes to get some of those scars!
KathYohneke

Post by KathYohneke »

D-Rock wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:43 am Think of it like this; scars are a sign that you survived whatever gave them to you.
considering where future him is now mabie not!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

anhedral wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:19 am
dr_eirik wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:51 pm My crazy theory is that Fox has not yet met the living Spring and Summer. If Heaven is eternal, then nothing is to say that they don't meet Fox in a future arc.
In the world of Housepets! logic, that actually makes an awful lot of sense.
With this single arc, Rick has suddenly opened up all sorts of storytelling possibilities for Fox. I'm eager now to see how he comes to get some of those scars!
He does have quite a collection - maybe he will get to be a Summer Blockbuster Superhero after all. Hope all the internal emotional scars healed up, though. :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would assume so because it looks like he did live a long and happy life though it is hard to tell if some pets are actually supposed to be elderly because most of the time they just look older but not like they are in their twilight years.

Not to mention there is the dark theory that Fox did live for a few more years but then the event that caused all of those scars ultimately ended up killing him. :? Winter didn't say how long Fox would live.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Just wanted to add something and get this off my chest: This strip in particular? While it got me depressed with what Winter was saying (even though I do agree with it), It actually got me to break down in front of my mother and tell her everything that was going on with me (From some mental issues to, sadly, brief thoughts of suicide). Honestly, the combination of both talking to my mom and this strip saved my life that day and started getting me to think better and start improving myself greatly. And, yes, I am doing much MUCH better now (Still have the random odd thought enter my head but it's no longer affecting me like it did and I'm a much happier wolf).
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

SeanWolf wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:26 am And, yes, I am doing much MUCH better now (Still have the random odd thought enter my head but it's no longer affecting me like it did and I'm a much happier wolf).
Can relate. Have you ever had intrusive thoughts, like you're thinking about something like "Love you Dad" and then it gets mungled up and comes out as "**** you, ***!" Or you're trying to make a sandwich but your mind tells you that it's cursed, and you throw the entire bag of bread away because if you don't "you're gonna get possessed" or "you're gonna sell your soul" or "you'll die" or you're getting a glass of milk and suddenly feel depressed, and when you try to drink it freak out cuz you think it was poisoned by the CIA? Yeah, that's my daily life. And I hope you get better, because so far it looks like I can't without some sort of divine intervention.saldivar
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Intrusive paranoia is a little less common than general depression and also a little more worrisome in some regards. You getting that looked into, Rydr?

Glad to hear you're doing better, Sean. Depression is hard, so don't hesitate to reach out when you need help
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Obbl wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:20 am Intrusive paranoia is a little less common than general depression and also a little more worrisome in some regards. You getting that looked into, Rydr?

Glad to hear you're doing better, Sean. Depression is hard, so don't hesitate to reach out when you need help
I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, autism and OCD. I know that my thoughts and actions are irrational but I can't help it, and it distresses me.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Trust me I feel for you and I know how hard it is. Replace Schizophrenia with MDD (Major Depressive Disorder) and you basically have me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm sorry for your difficulties, Rydr, but there is great power in self-awareness. You've shown us remarkable strength, creativity, and poise in your art and reflections. Best wishes.
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:41 am
Obbl wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:20 am Intrusive paranoia is a little less common than general depression and also a little more worrisome in some regards. You getting that looked into, Rydr?

I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, autism and OCD. I know that my thoughts and actions are irrational but I can't help it, and it distresses me.
I have been diagnosed with one of the former/latter, and trust me, I sort of get you, rydr, with not being able to help certain thought appearing. I have had so many that I legit think I am a bad person for having random thoughts i would usually not deliberately have. And as some who was put on depression pills by a over dramatic parent (imo based how they treated me not the best afterwards and a little bit prior), and having taurrets, it can be a nightmare to convey what I want to, to the right people. Plus, people usually give me hell for even suggesting them, usually thinking less as me, or seeing me as a dumb-dumb because of it. Which is why I don't really like telling people my problems.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I just don't tell people anything that I have wrong with me or stuff that I need to talk about because I don't know how to and i don't think anybody would understand. :/