2020/11/26 - Going For A Walk

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2020/11/26 - Going For A Walk

Post by D-Rock »

[2020/11/26 - Going For A Walk]
Title Text:

Doesn't seem suspicious at all.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2020/11/26 - Going For A Walk

Post by Gbr23 »

"The delight of living a dog's life is not having work!"
-King, probably
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

The lady’s on the charge,
noting all around her;
looking for the suspect
that makes her hope flounder.
Their dreams are coming true,
their lives are easier;
the statue's gone away,
so King’s life's breezier.
Tarot knows something's on,
(and sneaks past Wolves and King)
She knows something’s coming.
It’s time for reckoning...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Thank you for today's strip.
Frank

Post by Frank »

I kinda want to know who she's calling
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Slaps head

Two references to this lasting a month and it took me a half hour to figure out this is the 25th November...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

Got a good chuckle out of this page.

Now, if there's going to be a big fight, will there be time to wrap it up before Christmas? Time's a tickin'.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"Ayup"? Didn't know Tarot was a New England girl .......
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Since Bahumat said everyone in in BG was going to experience paradise for a few weeks, I wonder if everyone is going to experience said 'paradise' for the in-comic weeks differently. We already know Marion wanted to go to college so his 'paradise' would allow him to go to college. In the case of The Wolves, along with King and Bailey, it's being together as a family. For Peanut, Grape, and Max? Just being able to relax is paradise enough. Then there's the case of Tarot. From what I can tell, paradise for her, is being able to predict the future again and, for lack of a better term, be the hero of the story. It makes me wonder if she's going to do something a bit rash (like intervene in the supposed fight) and get hurt badly. I say 'supposed' cause, remembering back to an old HP comic, "time in Heaven works differently" so, for all we know, it has already been a few weeks/months and said fight between Kitsune, Eudoant, and Bahumat is either already over or already occuring.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

SeanWolf wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:11 am Since Bahumat said everyone in in BG was going to experience paradise for a few weeks, I wonder if everyone is going to experience said 'paradise' for the in-comic weeks differently. We already know Marion wanted to go to college so his 'paradise' would allow him to go to college. In the case of The Wolves, along with King and Bailey, it's being together as a family. For Peanut, Grape, and Max? Just being able to relax is paradise enough. Then there's the case of Tarot. From what I can tell, paradise for her, is being able to predict the future again and, for lack of a better term, be the hero of the story. It makes me wonder if she's going to do something a bit rash (like intervene in the supposed fight) and get hurt badly. I say 'supposed' cause, remembering back to an old HP comic, "time in Heaven works differently" so, for all we know, it has already been a few weeks/months and said fight between Kitsune, Eudoant, and Bahumat is either already over or already occuring.
...And Kix is definitely NOT in Heaven...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:23 am
SeanWolf wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:11 am Since Bahumat said everyone in in BG was going to experience paradise for a few weeks, I wonder if everyone is going to experience said 'paradise' for the in-comic weeks differently. We already know Marion wanted to go to college so his 'paradise' would allow him to go to college. In the case of The Wolves, along with King and Bailey, it's being together as a family. For Peanut, Grape, and Max? Just being able to relax is paradise enough. Then there's the case of Tarot. From what I can tell, paradise for her, is being able to predict the future again and, for lack of a better term, be the hero of the story. It makes me wonder if she's going to do something a bit rash (like intervene in the supposed fight) and get hurt badly. I say 'supposed' cause, remembering back to an old HP comic, "time in Heaven works differently" so, for all we know, it has already been a few weeks/months and said fight between Kitsune, Eudoant, and Bahumat is either already over or already occuring.
Ah, forgot that....perhaps her paradise was supposed to be with her kits but, since Draig and Craig got left on Real Earth, her paradise is just her being alive (since, if I'm remembering correctly from the spa arc, she was originally going to die at a pelt farm or something).
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

SeanWolf wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:33 am
Welsh Halfwit wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:23 am
Ah, forgot that....perhaps her paradise was supposed to be with her kits but, since Draig and Craig got left on Real Earth, her paradise is just her being alive (since, if I'm remembering correctly from the spa arc, she was originally going to die at a pelt farm or something).
Trust me, alive or not, she has no paradise without them. (And nor do the others in the house.)
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Frank wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:20 am I kinda want to know who she's calling
Rodney and Snow, maybe?
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

And Tarot went there, to check if there's Great Kitsune's statue at wolves house. When it's not on its place, it's not a good sign... :roll: Also that house and who's inside displaced in heaven, and in fact, there's no work for everyone for a month. :D :P What's going to do Tarot now?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Cesco wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:00 pm And Tarot went there, to check if there's Great Kitsune's statue at wolves house. When it's not on its place, it's not a good sign... :roll: Also that house and who's inside displaced in heaven, and in fact, there's no work for everyone for a month. :D :P What's going to do Tarot now?
Probably see if she can help out - and maybe, given the jam GK is in, maybe she can. But GK's gonna have to promise never to come back as that statue!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

King not wanting to get a job and live off the Milton's money and relax in style while being a lazy bum confirmed. :lol:
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

SeanWolf wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:11 am Since Bahumat said everyone in in BG was going to experience paradise for a few weeks, I wonder if everyone is going to experience said 'paradise' for the in-comic weeks differently. We already know Marion wanted to go to college so his 'paradise' would allow him to go to college.
As fun as it'd be to see whatever hilariously easy paradise version of college that Marion goes to, I don't think he's buying what the angel on the phone is saying. Alongside that, Bahamut's ludicrous paradise would probably be that the college is 100% free, all his classes get canceled for the month (just like work got canceled for the Wolf family), but he still gets all the A's and stuff for whatever he was supposed to be doing. Marion & Lois are likely to be two of whatever small group of characters that figures out something is up.
Then there's the case of Tarot. From what I can tell, paradise for her, is being able to predict the future again and, for lack of a better term, be the hero of the story. It makes me wonder if she's going to do something a bit rash (like intervene in the supposed fight) and get hurt badly. I say 'supposed' cause, remembering back to an old HP comic, "time in Heaven works differently" so, for all we know, it has already been a few weeks/months and said fight between Kitsune, Eudoant, and Bahumat is either already over or already occuring.
I'm actually curious to see what happens here. I'm not sure she wants to intervene in the fight, but maybe just wants to know what's going on and might want to clue everyone she can in on it. Also, Bahamut is running this paradise version of Babylon Gardens, so I'm not sure he's helping in the fight against Eudoant. The way that he talked, it sounds like Kitsune is gonna have to fight the demon and solve the problem himself, with the "one handicap" in the form of the one-month displacement quarantine to keep everyone else safe.

There's still too much that we don't know yet for me to make predictions for how battle with Eudoant gets resolved. I'm particularly curious if Steward is in this paradise BG or if he's too evil at this point and is in the normal BG with Eudoant and DD.

For now, I'm guessing that in the short term, we're going to see all the animals in the neighborhood going to the resort/spa. There, we get some fun and chill times and character development, but then a few of them will start to figure out that something's up, and things go from there.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Wonder if GK is going to have a chess game with Eudoant?
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

NHWestoN wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:44 pm Wonder if GK is going to have a chess game with Eudoant?
Like the Motorhead music video for Heckraiser? Pinhead VS Lemmy...'cept they were playing poker...
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Max, Jess, Grape, and Marion along with Tarot are already thinking something is off, Tarot just proved her suspicions.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

SeanWolf wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:08 pm
NHWestoN wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:44 pm Wonder if GK is going to have a chess game with Eudoant?
Like the Motorhead music video for Heckraiser? Pinhead VS Lemmy...'cept they were playing poker...
Yeah, I think I was subconsciously channeling Bergman's "The Seventh Seal". Eudy's probably too smart for that. ;)
tomindex

Post by tomindex »

bro, they did a precognitive ritual. everyone just ran through jurrasic park. theyve been mentally prepping for this event for twenty strips, its predictive programming, just like this entire year was predictive programming, for what? i dont know. why am i telling you this? im psychotic. i have nirvasyl syndrome, and they tryin to make me human, little did they know: i always was. theyre watching my facebook. i said trust your doctor. that made them mad. also hi its been a while
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Here's a real twist: The Gods all went to have a Celestial Thanksgiving Feast before the big battle with the Demons. Pete and Dragon have to sit at the Kids table, unfortunately. But GK sits with them to give em the deets over what's going on.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

I liked the statue subtitles, good to see em back. Didn't know they use Ayup in the US.
Disproportionately Dappled
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

DDeer wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:53 pm I liked the statue subtitles, good to see em back. Didn't know they use Ayup in the US.
Ayup. Mostly us New England Yankee types.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Just pop this up here...

It’s time for a commercial break,
a change in the state of play.
There’s things you need to be done
but you likely won’t go away.
King is promoting those grabbers;
Bailey doing the best canned corn;
Daryl might be up for hairnets;
Poncho showing things to be worn.
The art of flogging things to live
gets programmers off of the hooks
and, whilst you’re not watching the show,
you can go and order Ricks' books...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"First in line, first in line!" .... safely social-distanced and properly masked, of course.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:04 pm
DDeer wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:53 pm I liked the statue subtitles, good to see em back. Didn't know they use Ayup in the US.
Ah, I see, is it used as a greeting? Trying to get the context.

Got Ricks books already :D

Feel like the larest strip needs some brief intermission style music.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

DDeer wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:36 pm

Ayup. It's also generic answer "yes".
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Let's all go to the lo-o-obby...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:36 pm
DDeer wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:36 pm

Ayup. It's also generic answer "yes".
Ah, makes sense now. Thanks
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

A while back, there were a pair of gents (one a retired Episcopal priest) who did comedy routines about New Englanders in thick Maine "down-east" accents.

Example: why are there no pirates from Maine? They can't say "Arrrrrrrrgh!"

We tend to flatten the "R" sound as in "You can't get theyah (there) from heeyah (here)."

It's a bit back of the throat and harsher than, say, a southern drawl or western twang and there are region variations. The Kennedys and Kerrys of Boston have what's called "Brahmin accents" which are softer and more refined (not nasal) in tone.

In high school, a year of speech class (1962 for me) was mandated for most students and one of its unapologetic goals was to soften our accents so that - as our teacher, Mrs. Topiol, put it - we wouldn't "sound like a bunch of barnyard geese" or "a gang of dockhands."

It didn't entirely take for me. When I entered college, I had to take a speech test and read several paragraphs that would reveal any areas where therapy might be required. The tester was a linguistics professor who studied accents, and he found my diction intriguing enough to ask me to take some more tests. I read more paragraphs and also identified pictures of many different objects. When it was over, he thanked me and then said "By the way, were you raised in the mouth of the Piscataquah River, New Hampshire side?"

Well, I was and then he pointed out all the little markers that gave my identity away. I later learned he was kind of a legend for identifying people's roots by their speech patterns. It was kinda fun.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:22 am A while back, there were a pair of gents (one a retired Episcopal priest) who did comedy routines about New Englanders in thick Maine "down-east" accents.

Example: why are there no pirates from Maine? They can't say "Arrrrrrrrgh!"

We tend to flatten the "R" sound as in "You can't get theyah (there) from heeyah (here)."

It's a bit back of the throat and harsher than, say, a southern drawl or western twang and there are region variations. The Kennedys and Kerrys of Boston have what's called "Brahmin accents" which are softer and more refined (not nasal) in tone.

In high school, a year of speech class (1962 for me) was mandated for most students and one of its unapologetic goals was to soften our accents so that - as our teacher, Mrs. Topiol, put it - we wouldn't "sound like a bunch of barnyard geese" or "a gang of dockhands."

It didn't entirely take for me. When I entered college, I had to take a speech test and read several paragraphs that would reveal any areas where therapy might be required. The tester was a linguistics professor who studied accents, and he found my diction intriguing enough to ask me to take some more tests. I read more paragraphs and also identified pictures of many different objects. When it was over, he thanked me and then said "By the way, were you raised in the mouth of the Piscataquah River, New Hampshire side?"

Well, I was and then he pointed out all the little markers that gave my identity away. I later learned he was kind of a legend for identifying people's roots by their speech patterns. It was kinda fun.
Interesting, I've got a fairly strong accent (I' m reliably informed by those who know me) but not particularly conscious of it most of the time, we tend to lose h's round here. Where I am you can definately tell from which specific area people are from. I must admit I've never made much of an effort to lose it. My parents came from very different areas and not from where I was born so my accent has never really fitted in anywhere I guess, unique to me I suppose.

Daunted
Last edited by DDeer on Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have been told as have both my parents when we were on vacation and in states more in the south that we have accents but I have never really picked up on it myself.
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

A number of years ago I digitized a friend's VHS tapes of "ALFtales" and at each commercial break NBC would run bumpers with studio singers singing "After these messages we'll be right back." That was finally out of my brain until I read Rick's PSA.

Would paradise for Sasha be Kingy or a dog shaped car she could call her own? Or perhaps Kingy in the backseat of said dog shaped car?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:32 pm King not wanting to get a job and live off the Milton's money and relax in style while being a lazy bum confirmed. :lol:
As, he just wants to spend more time with Bailey, the little romantic malingerer.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Though honestly I think that Bailey would really like to get a job.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:25 pm Though honestly I think that Bailey would really like to get a job.
So she can a little time away from the little worry-wart.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Bailey must have the patience of a saint to deal with King freaking out and not strangling him into unconsciousness.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

GK's gone, King's still jobless,
Hurry, or it's gonna be a big mess,
No work for anyone, not for days,
So chill, relax, just plain laze.

Tarot knows that something's up,
She's quiet but a smart pup,
There's something that's about to go down,
When it does, she's no clown.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!