2020/11/16 - Brain Shift

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

Re: 2020/11/16 - Brain Shift

Post by D-Rock »

Either this displacement quarantine doesn’t feature all of the benefits of Heaven, or a final gag of the arc is right when everything is put back, only then do the transformed humans learn that reverting to their original forms was an option all along.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Tuuuuune!! Love a bit of 80s/90s ! Still not sure I get the whole fizzy drink thing?
Disproportionately Dappled
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Just a joke that animals get drunk on orange soda in this universe. So you can have drunk characters but not use beer.
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

NHWestoN wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:36 pm
dr_eirik wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:26 pm
NHWestoN wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:05 pm Poor dear Fox, I think, would like a break from everything.
I don't think that he's that far gone, but he definitly seems to need someone(s) to care for and to care for him on a deeper level than freinds.

I'm actually a little hopeful that one or both our sherbert-colored huskies will op to go the Breele route and stay corporeal this time around. I realize Fox is a fictional character, but I still want him to be happy, dang it! 8-)
Ditto, dr. I'm afraid, though, I never warmed to the monochromatic heavenly huskies. They always struck me as "beautiful and bland" (to be kind). I much would have preferred to pair Fox with a more mortal and developed character like Sasha or Daisy or, heck, even summon Colleen back from cartoon limbo. (We could use a couple more female pets in the neighborhood.) But, I too, would like Fox to find a home for his lonely heart. ;)
Fox came to mind as a character would fit for humor in an arc like this. If this really is "Heaven on Earth" and everyone's dreams come true then I figured he'd be suited up for the K-9 Unit and going through bad guys like Arnie in "Commando," he always seems to imply he wants his life to be an action movie maybe now he's living it up.

I'm curious to see just where this goes but if this does turn into a "Fantasy Island" esque showcase of the cast here's some predictions of what we could see...
Bino: Truly respected, seen as a great leader beloved by all, and not at all in Fido's shadow
Tiger: Happy, smiling, hanging out with the other dogs and not being teased about his name and somehow pizza is involved.
Todd: Actually being a ladykiller (bonus points if he does something dumb like romance an animal thinking they were previously human when they weren't)
Fido and Sabrina: Romantic time together with a supernatural twist
Joey and his friends: LARPing to their hearts content or Joey's actually turned into a cat and having some fun with Squeak.
Jessica: Scores a couple toasted sub sandwiches on a delivery mistake
Thomas: Restored to human form, voes revenge on Keene, still too dumb to carry it out or does something stupid that reverts him back into a camel
Delusional Steve: Heartfelt reunion with his owners (Bonus points if it turns out to be real anyway, twists the knife with the reveal it's not, or he sees through the charade easily because he's too crazy to fool)
Falstaff and Truck: Successfully robbing a meat market
"Four Finger Discount" Jack: Successfully robbing a jewelry store
Sgt. Ralph: Finally promoted to Captain and Kevin is acting extra competent to boot
Kevin: Alternatively, gets drafted to play defense on a pro football team
what chicken: Performing standup comedy, ironically most of his jokes are "cheep" shots at ducks
Bruce and Roosevelt: Leading the Australia football team to victory over New Zealand (bonus points if the Kiwi team is nothing but sheep and border collies)
Tarmac and Gambit: Successfully learning several Chinese languages...then only using them to lightheartedly tease the female otter.
Jeeves: Someone is waiting on him. Probably Simon, who is also loving being helpful.
Itsuki: Traditional tea ceremony with emphasis on the relaxing aspects compared to his busy day to day
Jeff: Blissful afternoon as Bino and Max are actually behaving and being friendly

I doubt we'll see King, Bailey, or the pups. They seem happy just where they are. Peanut, Grape, Maxwell, and Tarot are probably doing something fun together but just what is a wildcard.
Frank

Post by Frank »

CuriousCnidarian wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:36 am Was it Marion that was displaced, or the admissions guy on the other side of the line? Not entirely certain.
Since kitzune asked for a TMZ (Thirty Mile Zone -- seriously), he's probably calling a college outside of that zone (i.e. the outside world has just gotten cut off) to keep verisimilitude, they had to put someone on the other end and... well this happened
Sir Chestnut wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:21 am I'm wondering what the rules are for the displacement zone.
I think it's just a dome they put around the place: nothing gets in, nothing gets out. But as we see here, that does cause a problem when people try to contact the outside world like normal. People outside aren't supposed to notice the inside is missing, and people inside aren't supposed to notice the outside is missing. So for those interactions, heaven rules apply.

I can already imagine a pizza coming Tiger's way, reaching the edge of the dome, and being turned back by a Tiger-look-alike who's actually nice
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Elwood Blutarsky wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:04 pm
NHWestoN wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:36 pm
dr_eirik wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:26 pm

I don't think that he's that far gone, but he definitly seems to need someone(s) to care for and to care for him on a deeper level than freinds.

I'm actually a little hopeful that one or both our sherbert-colored huskies will op to go the Breele route and stay corporeal this time around. I realize Fox is a fictional character, but I still want him to be happy, dang it! 8-)
Ditto, dr. I'm afraid, though, I never warmed to the monochromatic heavenly huskies. They always struck me as "beautiful and bland" (to be kind). I much would have preferred to pair Fox with a more mortal and developed character like Sasha or Daisy or, heck, even summon Colleen back from cartoon limbo. (We could use a couple more female pets in the neighborhood.) But, I too, would like Fox to find a home for his lonely heart. ;)
Fox came to mind as a character would fit for humor in an arc like this. If this really is "Heaven on Earth" and everyone's dreams come true then I figured he'd be suited up for the K-9 Unit and going through bad guys like Arnie in "Commando," he always seems to imply he wants his life to be an action movie maybe now he's living it up.

I'm curious to see just where this goes but if this does turn into a "Fantasy Island" esque showcase of the cast here's some predictions of what we could see...
Bino: Truly respected, seen as a great leader beloved by all, and not at all in Fido's shadow
Tiger: Happy, smiling, hanging out with the other dogs and not being teased about his name and somehow pizza is involved.
Todd: Actually being a ladykiller (bonus points if he does something dumb like romance an animal thinking they were previously human when they weren't)
Fido and Sabrina: Romantic time together with a supernatural twist
Joey and his friends: LARPing to their hearts content or Joey's actually turned into a cat and having some fun with Squeak.
Jessica: Scores a couple toasted sub sandwiches on a delivery mistake
Thomas: Restored to human form, voes revenge on Keene, still too dumb to carry it out or does something stupid that reverts him back into a camel
Delusional Steve: Heartfelt reunion with his owners (Bonus points if it turns out to be real anyway, twists the knife with the reveal it's not, or he sees through the charade easily because he's too crazy to fool)
Falstaff and Truck: Successfully robbing a meat market
"Four Finger Discount" Jack: Successfully robbing a jewelry store
Sgt. Ralph: Finally promoted to Captain and Kevin is acting extra competent to boot
Kevin: Alternatively, gets drafted to play defense on a pro football team
what chicken: Performing standup comedy, ironically most of his jokes are "cheep" shots at ducks
Bruce and Roosevelt: Leading the Australia football team to victory over New Zealand (bonus points if the Kiwi team is nothing but sheep and border collies)
Tarmac and Gambit: Successfully learning several Chinese languages...then only using them to lightheartedly tease the female otter.
Jeeves: Someone is waiting on him. Probably Simon, who is also loving being helpful.
Itsuki: Traditional tea ceremony with emphasis on the relaxing aspects compared to his busy day to day
Jeff: Blissful afternoon as Bino and Max are actually behaving and being friendly

I doubt we'll see King, Bailey, or the pups. They seem happy just where they are. Peanut, Grape, Maxwell, and Tarot are probably doing something fun together but just what is a wildcard.
Oh, that's just inspired! Truly First Rate !! :D
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

Ah! NoFrills College! My old stomping grounds! Good Old NFC,Marion's gonna like it there, Rooting on Team in football games, going to Good Food for a spot of noodles. Wearing the school colors black and white. Too bad the coin didn't make him a skunk, I'm sure they've gotten a new mascot by now, so that's moot anyway.Marion, if you're reading this, feel free to use me as a reference.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Startrekfan47 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:39 pm Ah! NoFrills College! My old stomping grounds! Good Old NFC,Marion's gonna like it there, Rooting on Team in football games, going to Good Food for a spot of noodles. Wearing the school colors black and white. Too bad the coin didn't make him a skunk, I'm sure they've gotten a new mascot by now, so that's moot anyway.Marion, if you're reading this, feel free to use me as a reference.
If housing is a problem, perhaps you can recommend a good hollow tree for the time being.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sasha's got a Cabin in the Woods ... Bring some friends. (Clumsy horror movie reference.)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I don't think that it's the same place. Her cabin is out by Camp Crystal Lake. Totally safe place.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Shape-shifting seems to be part of the Heaven residency package whether you're a Celestial by origin or a gathered-up mortal like Henry Milton.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It makes me wonder how many other animals have shape-shifted from humans in Heaven? LOL
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

It's not clear to me if Spring and Summer are of Celestial or Terrestrial origins. (Still have a passing interest in Rick introducing a Winter and Autumn pairing - maybe they'd be Infernals instead of Celestials!).
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:25 pm It's not clear to me if Spring and Summer are of Celestial or Terrestrial origins. (Still have a passing interest in Rick introducing a Winter and Autumn pairing - maybe they'd be Infernals instead of Celestials!).
It's never been made explicit one way or the other, but they did seem to lack some of the freedom to travel to Earth that the Celestials don't. Spring and Summer have only been on Earth that we've seen with a known Celestial like Kitsune. I suspect they are just like Breele, former critters from Earth. They have just adjusted themselves a bit.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Can't fault your logic there, dr.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

dr_eirik wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:25 pm
NHWestoN wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:25 pm It's not clear to me if Spring and Summer are of Celestial or Terrestrial origins. (Still have a passing interest in Rick introducing a Winter and Autumn pairing - maybe they'd be Infernals instead of Celestials!).
It's never been made explicit one way or the other, but they did seem to lack some of the freedom to travel to Earth that the Celestials don't. Spring and Summer have only been on Earth that we've seen with a known Celestial like Kitsune. I suspect they are just like Breele, former critters from Earth. They have just adjusted themselves a bit.
However, the did hint that they knew they were coming back...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So most likely it is only a matter of time so if Fox doesn't end up getting himself killed by then he will see them again and have to figure out how to date the two of them at the same time. xD
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:37 pm So most likely it is only a matter of time so if Fox doesn't end up getting himself killed by then he will see them again and have to figure out how to date the two of them at the same time. xD
I think that dogs don't have the same perception of monogamy as humans.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm pretty sure they must somewhat since all of the canines that are in a relationship are exclusive to the pet they are involved with. The only dog who might find it OK to date another dog while in a relationship is Sasha as she had no problems making out with Fox while with Kevin and was willing to jump on Fido while with Bino.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Spring and Summer had halos, like Breel and Rufus, and later the Sabercat. Those seem to denote mortal souls.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Then that would add an even larger layer of complication to Fox dating both of them though I think he would love to have two female dogs chasing after him there is still no proof that they would have a different perception of monogamy and even if they decided to "share" him it might be too weird for Fox.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Hard to say. I never had the impression that dogs here are monogamous by nature. King is an outlier because he was human. Given the Heavenly huskies are fully aware of each other, Fox wouldn't be hiding anything. Other than possibly King, who might be slightly wielded out, I'm not sure most neighborhood pets would care.

Though if they were still colored like carnival snacks, I think that might raise eyebrows. 😁
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I thought the coloring was because in heaven it is possible to change your appearance as a mortal and they had those colors as their favorites? Remember: Henry Milton decided to take the form of a ferret. Then possibly was heading towards a relationship with Keene's biological mother which is ewwwww... :?
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Marion probably thinks he's nuts,
Or at least that he's drunk,
And the phone's disconnected due to 'acts of god,'
Well, at least, that's kinda odd...

Heaven can't be a place on Earth,
But hey, at least, for what it's worth,
The gods are going send Marion to school,
Uhh, he says, drink poured, that's cool...
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm really crossing my fingers that when everybody does get back to reality that there will be a school that accepts Marion and he doesn't have to give up his dream.