Joys And Sorrows

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

NHWestoN

Re: Joys And Sorrows

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:39 pm When that happens, that is the best kind of plan because its a pleasant surprise.
yeah, a gift, really.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just one that isn't wrapped up.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Friend of mine is having a bit of a time. She started last month having some clapboards replaced on the side of her house around the chimney. Well, it seems every repair discovers a new flaw needing replacement or alteration. Now today's rain got into the house and caused more damage. Of course, cold weather's coming as well. Her grown children all are having marital problems, and she's in the middle of this miserable merry-go-round, alternating between being comforter-in-chief and repository-of-all-blame. All I can do is listen. Such is the world. :(
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Sorry to hear that, Weston, hope things turn around for her.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hope that everything will be OK for her too. I know that life is hard but it does get better. You have to believe that.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:50 pm Hope that everything will be OK for her too. I know that life is hard but it does get better. You have to believe that.
Thanks ... and I do.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: My cousin (the one who is the daughter of the uncle that died) is depressed and the 4 sisters (2 of which were my uncle's and 1 which was raised by him) aren't getting along and they aren't even talking to their mother (my aunt).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:56 pm Sorrow: My cousin (the one who is the daughter of the uncle that died) is depressed and the 4 sisters (2 of which were my uncle's and 1 which was raised by him) aren't getting along and they aren't even talking to their mother (my aunt).
Covid just seems to inflame everything.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

My cousin probably would have been depressed and her and her sisters would have been fighting even WITHOUT Covid. They never really got along and their father/step-father died so of course they would be devastated.
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

Home for the weekend. Had 3 months worth of playing card deliveries I got to open. It's like an early Christmas! All told, 27 decks in total. 11 from Kickstarters, 16 miscellaneous decks picked up by my brother from various antique stores. Not counted in the 27 are 3 old bridge sets, which include 2 smaller decks in each set.

Although for one of the Kickstarters, I thought I had pledged for the mixed half brick and a gilded set, but received the mixed half brick and a third deck of the Special edition. Checked my pledge, and sure enough had only added on enough for the special edition, even though I had confirmed the gilded set through messages and the survey. Not too terribly upset since I still got what I paid for, but still. A learning experience, I suppose.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

CuriousCnidarian wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:13 am Home for the weekend. Had 3 months worth of playing card deliveries I got to open. It's like an early Christmas! All told, 27 decks in total. 11 from Kickstarters, 16 miscellaneous decks picked up by my brother from various antique stores. Not counted in the 27 are 3 old bridge sets, which include 2 smaller decks in each set.

Although for one of the Kickstarters, I thought I had pledged for the mixed half brick and a gilded set, but received the mixed half brick and a third deck of the Special edition. Checked my pledge, and sure enough had only added on enough for the special edition, even though I had confirmed the gilded set through messages and the survey. Not too terribly upset since I still got what I paid for, but still. A learning experience, I suppose.
Tell me a little about this hobby of yours, Cnid. I know this may not be the right thread to explore the topic, but you do seem to enjoy it so..........
Last edited by NHWestoN on Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Looking forward to going to a party tomorrow which is my cousin's gender-reveal party for the baby that she is pregnant with and got things ready for that including getting a shirt that says its gonna be a girl which is what I am guessing.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:47 pm Joy: Looking forward to going to a party tomorrow which is my cousin's gender-reveal party for the baby that she is pregnant with and got things ready for that including getting a shirt that says its gonna be a girl which is what I am guessing.
Enjoy ... and be careful!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Have fun and be careful, Dayzee.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

NHWestoN wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:31 am
CuriousCnidarian wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:13 am Home for the weekend. Had 3 months worth of playing card deliveries I got to open. It's like an early Christmas! All told, 27 decks in total. 11 from Kickstarters, 16 miscellaneous decks picked up by my brother from various antique stores. Not counted in the 27 are 3 old bridge sets, which include 2 smaller decks in each set.

Tell me a little about this hobby of yours, Cnid. I know this may not be the right thread to explore the topic, but you do seem to enjoy it so..........
I mean, there's really not much to talk about. got a nice Theory11 designed deck a few years ago, so I always picked up a new deck from that designer where I could, which usually was the local Barnes & Noble. In June I decided I may as well make a really hobby of it. I've got more than just Theory11 now, but mainly just get decks that I think look nice. Absolute money pit, though. Kickstarter is really big in this niche, just check out some of the decks that have funded there.

But yeah, mainly just collect them because I think they look nice. I can't even do a proper riffle shuffle.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can do you one better. I can't even HOLD my cards in my hand like if we are playing a card game because I end up dropping a few or my hand cramps up.
Last edited by Amazee Dayzee on Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Okay, Cnid. Everyone needs a pointless, personal indulgence. I have about four elongated comic books boxes full of 1950s "funny animal" comics. Many of them I bought as a kid and kept them over the decades. Once every week or ten days, I scan eBay to see what's available. I almost never buy. Why not?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: Even though I was looking forward to this gender-reveal party today for my cousin, I had problems getting to sleep and it wasn't because of excitement or nervousness for the party. I just have a really bad sleep schedule.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sorrow: a friend has come down with Covid, he, his sisters and father and mother. So far, however, none of them seem close to needing hospitalization, but it's high anxiety, quarantine, and NyQil cocktails. :(
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Hope they get through it unscathed, Weston.

Joy: Found a new group of guys to play RPGs with.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: When the maintenance man came to do some repairs on the heater, he disconnected the boiler from the heating system so we now have no heat in our house.

It's 46 degrees outside.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:39 pm Sorrow: When the maintenance man came to do some repairs on the heater, he disconnected the boiler from the heating system so we now have no heat in our house.

It's 46 degrees outside.
Sheesh! He needs to make that right ... right now.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Yesterday which was the day after I posted this we got a maintenance man to come up and fix the heat so we now have heat again!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Good to hear, Dayzee.

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... Especially with a possible snow coming in late Thursday.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Of course, just when we get the heat fixed we don't NEED it yet. :lol:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sorrow: Sophie's vet check-up indicates she has begun to lose her hearing. Still, otherwise, she'll probably outlive both the missus and me. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Was able to make an appointment with Apple to get my computer fixed after they look at it. The keyboard that they used (called a butterfly keyboard) has a VERY nasty habit of falling apart. In my case, I'm beginning to have keys fall off.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Joy: An old classmate of mine just had cataract surgery and it went well. It's routine enough but always a little scary.
Marba

Post by Marba »

Joy: Been getting into a book I really like
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Tiny Toons Adventure is getting a reboot. Have a GIF to celebrate. One of my favorite childhood scenes.

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:22 am Joy: Tiny Toons Adventure is getting a reboot. Have a GIF to celebrate. One of my favorite childhood scenes.

My kids loved those and, secretly, I did, too.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: It's raining a lot out and I am hoping that the cold and snow don't end up combining and becoming a major problem when it snows tomorrow.
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

Sorrow: My right ear is hurting a number of ways, so I'm trying to cope with the painful sensations that will happen from time to time.
Challenge James T Cat in SMASH Ultimate plus Switch Online: SW-2695-1793-4587
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I really hate that you are in pain James. I have to ask if you ever tried to use a heating pad on it though? It worked wonders for me I have to say and made the pain go away despite the fact that I later learned it was an ear infection.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

James, I'm inclined to agree with Amazz on your ear pain, but you might also want to get a doctor's advice. I've never used a "teledoc" consultation, but maybe you could do that. Because your pain seems to vary, it could be some sort of infection and, in that case, a heat pad could make things worse (though I'm really glad it worked for Amazee). Get well soon.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: Just found out about ANOTHER issue with the house. The genius who routed the power lines for the house ran one of them through a tree which was an EXTRAORDINARY bad idea. When it snowed, the tree branch drooped onto the power line and TORE it in two. As a result, we lost power except for the office and the parlor. We had to wait FIVE hours before National Grid could fix it.

I swear, it it's not one thing its another. -.-
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

It's kinda late, Amazz, but you might check with the utility - very often they will cut out menacing branches if you bring the problem to their attention. While utilities are not always the most consumer friendly organizations, they aren't crazy about sending crews out to deal with outages and damages they could have prevented.

I'm sorry for your difficulties.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

They did come out here and fix the line and cut the tree branch but I'm not sure if that will help considering the fact that when we have bad. weather we apparently are going to end up losing power a lot. >_<
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Gotta sit "Trick-or-Treat" out this year - maybe we'll go driving for a while.