2020/10/14 - Turning [s]Japanese[/s] Chinese

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2020/10/14 - Turning [s]Japanese[/s] Chinese

Post by D-Rock »

[2020/10/14 - Turning Japanese Chinese]
Title Text: and by “hot rod” I of course mean a pontiac grand am with the hood missing

And I hate him. :P
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2020/10/14 - Turning [s]Japanese[/s] Chinese

Post by Gbr23 »

Huh... eager to see how he is relevant to the whole thing, I have my eye on you Kravitz
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Keene's sponsoring special guest stars now?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Get my name right, won’t you,
I’m the greatest one here.
I can do whatever you can do;
challenge me and hold my beer.
My confidence breaks all bounds
and I don’t see that that should change.
I can ignore all your rules here;
my life isn’t to be so strange.
I will live the life that I chose
and no-one here will meddle.
I am going to drive real far.
Pardon? What won’t reach the pedal?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Gbr23 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:10 am Huh... eager to see how he is relevant to the whole thing, I have my eye on you Kravitz
My guess? He's the one Steward and Dino Demon manipulate.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

Oh my gosh, Stewart did get a bunch of people changed off panel. How much of the town is still human at this point?

Seems like Mr. Red Panda Pontiac Owner here likely deserved it at least. "Treat people like animals or disrespect real ones and you get turned into one." That's how it works near Babylon Gardens, it's River Ridge's town motto now.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Can't wait to see more people in this arc :3

Also - another person i must destroy this arc. *gets the bat ready*
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

wow, he is a tad too clichee for me. That's not how to write a unlikeable character... That is just, button pushing.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

That's what sells it for me personally. He is literally a charicature. Feels like Rick is signalling his intentions for this one :twisted:
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Todd makes me uncomfortable. Curious to see what'll happen tho.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Also confirmation on the jorts for Sasha! Digging the look 8-)
bravelove

Post by bravelove »

todd is a lucky lucky animal that i love red pandas and thus cant stay mad at him for that comment
Image Image
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Jakkal wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:20 am wow, he is a tad too clichee for me. That's not how to write a unlikeable character... That is just, button pushing.
Obbl wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:31 am That's what sells it for me personally. He is literally a charicature. Feels like Rick is signalling his intentions for this one :twisted:
I know, right? He's so on the nose, you know things are about to go downhill not big time, but MASSIVE time! :lol:
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Looks like someone is going after Bino's record for worst first impressions. XD
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Silly Zealot wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:33 am
Jakkal wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:20 am wow, he is a tad too clichee for me. That's not how to write a unlikeable character... That is just, button pushing.
Obbl wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:31 am That's what sells it for me personally. He is literally a charicature. Feels like Rick is signalling his intentions for this one :twisted:
I know, right? He's so on the nose, you know things are about to go downhill not big time, but MASSIVE time! :lol:
I actually kind of wonder if Todd is what he seems. Is the zoo missing a red panda? Also have to feel for the zebra. Losing your humanity and your hands has to suck.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

I guess Rick is going all out for dislikeable with this character, not quite sure where this is going. We need to see more of the Zebra! Hooves are hard wearing at least, but using a keyboard must be a pain.
Disproportionately Dappled
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

D-Rock wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:12 am
Gbr23 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:10 am Huh... eager to see how he is relevant to the whole thing, I have my eye on you Kravitz
My guess? He's the one Steward and Dino Demon manipulate.
Or perhaps he is Steward in disguise? Also, I see someone became a zebra but I wonder who the fluffy tail behind Sasha's head belongs to.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Hagus

Post by Hagus »

Be careful Rick. People in this fandom are quick to hate characters just based on their first appearance. If the plan is to make him likable it’s gonna be a struggle to convince people otherwise :?
JageshemashFTW

Post by JageshemashFTW »

Ryusuta wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:37 am Looks like someone is going after Bino's record for worst first impressions. XD
I think even Bino would want to punch this dude in the face.

Say what you want about him, at least Bino drinks his Respect Women Juice.... most of the time.

(Though, in regards to Duchess, he might want to cut back on the juice just a tad...)
Welcome to HexCom: viewtopic.php?t=5602
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

dr_eirik wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:20 am
I actually kind of wonder if Todd is what he seems. Is the zoo missing a red panda?

Karishad did leave plenty of tunnels around the zoo. Seems like a possibility.
SeanWolf wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:13 am I wonder who the fluffy tail behind Sasha's head belongs to.
Looks like a Racoon tail almost, but all the Raccoons we've seen in the comic so far have dark tips.
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

Hagus wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:13 am Be careful Rick. People in this fandom are quick to hate characters just based on their first appearance. If the plan is to make him likable it’s gonna be a struggle to convince people otherwise :?
Character development can kick in and this comic is good at it. Joel and Gale didn't exactly start out as nice yet became fan favorites after some development. After Joel showed his face (the first human one in the comic) many at the time thought he was being set up as a recurring villain yet one arc later King is Fox's corgi BFF and the fans loved him. Poncho was pretty forgettable until his development kicked in. Bailey likely was forgotten after appearing as a one-off. Alternatively Steward seemed like a nice, professional guy at first until he teamed up with Thomas several years later and even then he seemed like a lackey until he got a muzzle and tail slapped on him and turned into a threat.

Todd certainly seems designed to repulse at first glance. He seems like a high school kid who is too much of a poser and needs to get knocked down a peg but nothing here is irredeemable; he's a jerk, not a super villain. The question here is what's he going to do next? Sell them down the river to fix himself? Help Marion, Lois, and the others as a way of helping himself? Be revealed to be the demon in disguise or a spy for Steward? Pass on both and instead go try to pick up chicks despite being a red panda? Is he even an ex-human like is implied or just a red panda who joined the program looking to move up in life and sees "being people" as how to do it? Even if he stays a jerk he can still become a "love to hate" kind of character like Bino.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

I'm loving Lois' fashion sense, here. I wonder if Keene wants everyone in the ECP to wear clothes regularly, making sure the ferals who were never humans get used to it and pick out things they like, in order to normalize clothes-wearing and that gets humans more acclimated toward seeing animals as equal to humans?

Also, I'm very interested in seeing where this whole situation with Todd goes.
D-Rock wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:12 amMy guess? He's the one Steward and Dino Demon manipulate.
dr_eirik wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:20 amI actually kind of wonder if Todd is what he seems. Is the zoo missing a red panda?
I like these two theories a whole lot in particular. The first for the fact that it rules out Marion being tempted by DD and/or Steward. I definitely believe that Marion is content with where he is in life right now, willing to roll with the punches. Someone who is, on first impressions, as selfish and egotistical and sleazy like Todd gives Steward a chance to wreck Keene's plans. Steward and DD reach out to Todd giving him false promise of an easy out for doing Steward's bidding.

The second theory would be especially neat. Maybe Keene "procured" a red panda from the zoo, forged an identity for him as someone who was/is rich and important, and it's all an act. The Red Panda's real name is revealed later on in some scene where he has a heart-to-heart with Marion or Lois who confront him, saying "I can't keep this charade up any more." or something along those lines. Keene might think he needs someone rich and/or powerful on his side to get the law that makes domestication equal to human citizenship passed, but Steward and Trinket couldn't get near anyone of that caliber. Or, the Badger and Bird duo may be a bit fumbling here and there, but they're not stupid enough to transform someone that the public would care about. So Keene made someone up with deepfake tech and AI that generates human faces, and goes "Oh, you really don't know who Larry Todd Kravitz is? Check out social media; he's huge!"

As for the reason why Keene might have forgotten the name they came up with for him? He's probably too busy organizing other things to remember. That, and forgetting key parts of his schemes, while the others he brings into them remembering the plans just fine, would fit rather well into Keene's character.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Is there a reason everybody here except Keene is more-or-less fully dressed? I can understand why Marion and Lois and the new guy would be... but I'm a bit confused when it comes to Sasha.

And if this *is* just a "dress up for the occasion" occasion, then why not Keene?
I'm probably reading way too much into this.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Vertigo Fox wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:51 am Is there a reason everybody here except Keene is more-or-less fully dressed? I can understand why Marion and Lois and the new guy would be... but I'm a bit confused when it comes to Sasha.

And if this *is* just a "dress up for the occasion" occasion, then why not Keene?
I'm probably reading way too much into this.
I'd imagine it might just be an attempt to make the environment feel more normal to former humans and to help ease them into their new situation. Or possibly that animals like Sasha think they might be taken more seriously if they wear cloths?

Keene is pretty high profile, so it would probably just seem unusual for him to be wearing something when he normally wouldn't. Although you think he might have wore his tie at least. I think he had a tie on an occasion or two?
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

This red panda chad be pushing people's buttons like: Image
Elwood Blutarsky wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:31 am Even if he stays a jerk he can still become a "love to hate" kind of character like Bino.
I don't hate Bino, I'm sad for Bino and wish he was better.
AND that he got recognised for ridding an eagle!
Ash Greytree wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:08 am The second theory would be especially neat. Maybe Keene "procured" [...} would fit rather well into Keene's character.
Nah, this theory is too convoluted.

More so than usual.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Cool, a red panda! Nice to meet you, Todd. :D Eheh, Keene... :P Uhm, you look pretty much a spoiled guy, Todd... :roll: With your intents, Keene's program can help you to behave more like a rich human, maybe even more than Keene himself... Could he be another transformed human? Lois is right, though, that outfit can help to do it. ;)
Argent

Post by Argent »

Sir Chestnut wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:02 am
SeanWolf wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:13 am I wonder who the fluffy tail behind Sasha's head belongs to.
Looks like a Racoon tail almost, but all the Raccoons we've seen in the comic so far have dark tips.
Probably a cacomistle, aka miner's cat, AKA ringtail cat.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

WHO IS THE ZEBRA!?!? also, why is SASHA wearing clothes??!!? Last I checked she was ALWAYS a dog....

But yeah, didnt get to comment on last comic strip, but I was weirded out to sasha in clothing. Also didn't think she would wear THAT type clothing....

Oh well.

But did she not know marion and louis were a couple? Strange.

Also, did they basically consider themselves naked while talking? Now I have images in my head of what was going on prior to when we eased dropped on them when louis was in her "draw me like a French girl" pose and talking..... :oops: :shock:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can now already see Todd as being a Casanova wannabe and a guy who only sees women as objects that he can date and discard but never has any luck with them or gets knocked out by them ala Johnny Bravo.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Oh boy this guy is going to be fun for sure. :roll: It will be interesting to see what direction Rick takes him in. Could be an eventually reformed character or just end up joining Steward and his growing little group.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... Or the background zebra will join a number of nameless walk-ons who have appeared in the strip episodically. Or, since a zebra is a zoo animal, might Thomas be transferred to the ECP house? Not likely.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

NHWestoN wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:04 pm might Thomas be transferred to the ECP house?
Where the Miltons can keep an eye on him.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Your comment reminds me of an old adage, "The best place for the town arsonist is the fire department where they can keep an eye on him." Henry Cabot Lodge said it when he was United Nations Ambassador but I'm pretty sure he was not the original source.
LunarFox

Re: 2020/10/14 - Turning -Japanese- Chinese

Post by LunarFox »

Hullo zeeba neighba....
--
Respect the boundaries that're in place,
That won't help him save face,
He's suddenly short and suddenly furry,
He wants out in a real hurry...

He's trying hard to play it cool,
But he just looks like a fool,
He's a jerk of a red panda,
A smart-aleck demander-

But at the same time, he's young,
He's sure to have a sharp tongue,
But for goodness sake, be polite,
They'll ignore him like a blight.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

First time I've checked the comic for a while, glad to see things picking back up. And with a new (probably) antagonistic character! Very nice. Also, since Marion is back and I don't think I ever previously mentioned it, I had always thought it was more of a female name, so I was surprised to see it be given to a male character. turns out John Wayne's birth name was Marion, and it's really more of a unisex name. So I guess Marion's parents are either huge John Wayne fans, or just don't like Marion. Seriously, who names their kid Marion in this day and age? It's like they wanted him to have a hard time growing up.
Elwood Blutarsky wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:16 am Oh my gosh, Stewart did get a bunch of people changed off panel. How much of the town is still human at this point?
It's only one badger and a bird, but taking into account they've been at this for a year, give or take, and there's enough people in the city changed that the *county* does something (though it is a larger city and likely the seat of the county), I'd say no more than 20%. Probably closer to 10%.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

CuriousCnidarian wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:55 am First time I've checked the comic for a while, glad to see things picking back up. And with a new (probably) antagonistic character! Very nice. Also, since Marion is back and I don't think I ever previously mentioned it, I had always thought it was more of a female name, so I was surprised to see it be given to a male character. turns out John Wayne's birth name was Marion, and it's really more of a unisex name. So I guess Marion's parents are either huge John Wayne fans, or just don't like Marion. Seriously, who names their kid Marion in this day and age? It's like they wanted him to have a hard time growing up.
Elwood Blutarsky wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:16 am Oh my gosh, Stewart did get a bunch of people changed off panel. How much of the town is still human at this point?
It's only one badger and a bird, but taking into account they've been at this for a year, give or take, and there's enough people in the city changed that the *county* does something (though it is a larger city and likely the seat of the county), I'd say no more than 20%. Probably closer to 10%.
I'd very much doubt he's been that busy. Disappearances happen every day. Animals claiming they were once Human probably happens quite often too. Mass disappearances, however, brings in Federal investigators. Spontaneous transformations bring in people like the C.D.C. We've seen neither Feds nor C.D.C., just an uptick in registered Animals.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
FalinkesInculta

Post by FalinkesInculta »

I feel his car may be used in some important event.

"If you have a gun hung on the wall in the first act, it must fire in the next."
Next up is a song about a beautiful woman i met,

Just kidding,

Its about getting drunk
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Silly Zealot wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:58 pm This red panda chad be pushing people's buttons like:
Reminds me of the Steward from Infinity Train.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Wonder if Pandaman will compete with Bino for Duchess's fortune - I mean, affections.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If Duchess (painfully) puts him in his place then I won't be too upset with it.