Ask A Moderator

What are we doing!?
trekkie

Re: Ask A Moderator

Post by trekkie »

Yeah, you guys are awesome, we really appreciate all of you working so hard to keep this site up and running.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am sure that we are all adapting so you can take all the time you need with getting everything back to normal.
Foxfan2164

Post by Foxfan2164 »

I'm having a little problem with my profile page in the ucp. This is the message I get.
Screenshot_2020-05-02-18-24-24.png
Screenshot_2020-05-02-18-24-24.png (105.97 KiB) Viewed 13106 times
I'm also having the same problem on the not on mobile.

I know the forums are still pretty wonky but I think there's a different reason behind this becasue I don't think that many other people have this problem.
My Characters (Links and all)
Just your average Fox, Max and Marion fan.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

No I had somewhat of the same problem to actually. When I go to my profile all I get is a blank white page. The way to fix that though is to change the theme of the board to something else. How else was I supposed to get Mariah Carey to endorse me? xD

Though when you log out, the forum reverts back to the original theme.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Once you set the new theme for yourself, it should be the same every time you login.

Go to your profile>Board preferences and pick a different theme from the drop-down menu. Hestia Blue is the old, broken one so pick a different one. Please be aware we're still fixing things up so you won't see our custom header and things like that just yet. The forums will work again though.^^

That will stop the Error 500 messages too.

EDIT: Diss has updated the default theme to Prosilver (Dark Edition) and removed the borked old theme. So things should work now, in theory. ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah things are working fine now. At least on my end.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

So what happened to the text colors? There used to be a list of different colors you could make your text, but it's gone. That was probably one of the only reasons I could complete my Beacon of Hope updates in less than a day...
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

CyberDragon wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:46 pm So what happened to the text colors? There used to be a list of different colors you could make your text, but it's gone. That was probably one of the only reasons I could complete my Beacon of Hope updates in less than a day...
They’re in the little teardrop icon next to the drop down labeled “normal.”
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

"Oh, sweet. Ok, thanks."
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is one crisis averted.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

How did all of you end up as mods?
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

The Rockers may not have wanted them. (Silly Rockers)
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Were they "off their rockers?"
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

LunarFox wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:44 amHow did all of you end up as mods?
I got asked to join Copper as moderator for The Comic and Fan Projects I think cause of the increased traffic at the time. Then they put up a poll to see how the masses would respond to the idea, and everyone seemed to think it was cool so I got brought on board
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Got recommended by a mod who stepped down.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think Diss is the one who makes the final decision on who becomes a mod doesn't he? I always thought he was the head admin.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

LunarFox wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:44 am How did all of you end up as mods?
Back in the day, the RP rules needed revamping because they were way out of date. Rockstar Raccoon had been promising to do it for a year or more but hadn't gotten around to it due to illness and life commitments. I offered to do it instead and said "I'll just need a mod to pin the post for me" and then Diss said "there you go, you're a mod." Initially I was just a mod of the OOC section, but then as circumstances changed and other mods left I got progressively promoted. The rest is history. ^^
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:43 am I think Diss is the one who makes the final decision on who becomes a mod doesn't he? I always thought he was the head admin.
For the most part, yes. Rick can always veto Diss though, and, of course, Rick can choose to promote or fire anyone without consulting Diss. It's Rick's forums after all.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hlaoroo wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:23 am
LunarFox wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:44 am How did all of you end up as mods?
Back in the day, the RP rules needed revamping because they were way out of date. Rockstar Raccoon had been promising to do it for a year or more but hadn't gotten around to it due to illness and life commitments. I offered to do it instead and said "I'll just need a mod to pin the post for me" and then Diss said "there you go, you're a mod." Initially I was just a mod of the OOC section, but then as circumstances changed and other mods left I got progressively promoted. The rest is history. ^^

Sorta like Cerberus , eh?
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:43 am I think Diss is the one who makes the final decision on who becomes a mod doesn't he? I always thought he was the head admin.
For the most part, yes. Rick can always veto Diss though, and, of course, Rick can choose to promote or fire anyone without consulting Diss. It's Rick's forums after all.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I thought Cerberus wasn't promoted and just wanted a job change to work with kids? (Which makes me depressed when I realize that said kids met sad ends.).
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Kyderra and I got appointed to be forum mods, I was the first elected global mod (the rest had been appointed), and ultimately I was given admin rank as a gesture of appreciation and trust by Rick.

Generally, the people who make the best moderators don't seek that out; they bring some new idea or skill to the table at a time when it's needed and have demonstrated ability to interact well with others.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So that is what you look for when you open up a chance to become a moderator when you need them?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

It's a sad fact of life that those who most actively seek out power are those most likely to abuse it. Especially online.

What we want in a moderator is someone who's trustworthy and dedicated to the forums, not just someone who wants the job.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I see. Gotcha. That mkes it a lot easier to narrow down potential candidates.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:26 pm I see. Gotcha. That mkes it a lot easier to narrow down potential candidates.
I'm not persuaded the job's much fun anyways, Amaze. Maybe there are "tenure" limitations, too. Still, they seem like a good crew, and you might enjoy the work afterall, especially if it's a specific area of the forum you'd enjoy.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I won't get into it too much, but I will say there are reasons that I will never ever EVER become a mod.

That said, I do have great respect for the people who do it.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:14 pm I won't get into it too much, but I will say there are reasons that I will never ever EVER become a mod.

That said, I do have great respect for the people who do it.
ditto.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

This is a technical question: Is the image uploader built in or a separate phpbb extension?
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't know what it is but always just assumed that it was built in as all boards I would think have that capability to allow users to upload avatars. However I don't actually know so don't go by me.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Im sure you could have waited until the individual with knowledge of this situation or knows someone with said knowledge offered an answer.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

furrygamer793 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:15 amThis is a technical question: Is the image uploader built in or a separate phpbb extension?
The image uploader in which part of the forum? I'd be glad to do a little hunting, but the more specific you are, the easier it'll be for me to find the answer :D
The only one who's likely to have personal insight would be Ikani, but they're busy actually running the servers and not likely to see this question ;)
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Obbl wrote:The image uploader in which part of the forum? I'd be glad to do a little hunting, but the more specific you are, the easier it'll be for me to find the answer :D
The only one who's likely to have personal insight would be Ikani, but they're busy actually running the servers and not likely to see this question ;)
So assuming that you use the prosilver dark extension, go below the posting area to the two tabs labeled “options” and “attachments”, after clicking attatchments, you can insert a file and add it into the post by clicking place inline, it currently only works with pictures and
5EFE0515-44CC-40CC-9CE5-F2BD48F9C790.png
5EFE0515-44CC-40CC-9CE5-F2BD48F9C790.png (32.28 KiB) Viewed 11581 times
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Okay, yeah, attaching a file to a post is part of the base phpBB. Is there something you were hoping it could do that it does not currently do?
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Why did the mods end up with the areas they have (like the Announcements forum for example), and is their a hierarchy to it, like certain mods are mods of other mods?
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

The forum mods (pink names) just have jurisdiction over their own forums. They were assigned to those particular forums because that's where they posted and hung out most anyway. In their designated forums they have the power to edit and delete posts, to lock, unlock and move threads, and to enforce rules.

Global mods (green names) have jurisdiction over all forums, including unassigned ones like the announcements forum. Technically we have authority over the forum mods (although I don't think there's ever been a time when we've had to overrule them) and we're the next port of call if you have any complaints about the forum mods or wish to contest any of their decisions. We have all the same powers as forum mods but in the whole board, not just a specific forum. Additionally, we have the power to issue official warnings and to ban and unban users.

The final step in the hierarchy is the admins. They have all the powers assigned to other mods but also have the ability to modify the board configuration by adding or removing forums and subforums, changing themes, editing profile fields, etc. They can also modify all details on user accounts like email addresses, passwords, profile pictures, signatures, etc, as well as having the ability to manually activate or delete user accounts. Admits also make and set the forum rules and are the final authority should you for any reason have problems with or disagree with both the forum and global mods.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You said that there was never a time that global mods had to overrule board mods but has there ever been a time when admins had to overrule board mods or global mods?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yes.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Obbl wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:55 amYes.
Obbi wanted to say more but someone said not to... :)
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah I'm gonna do the sensible thing and not speculate.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Any plans to replace the "proSilver" logo with the old Housepets forum banner? Just a little detail I've been missing :P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I honestly just thought since they didn't have contests anymore to create new banners that they were just gonna leave it like that.