2020/09/14 - The Mouse Returns

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2020/09/14 - The Mouse Returns

Post by D-Rock »

[2020/09/14 - The Mouse Returns]
Title Text: "But you've been gone for over a YEAR"
"Yeah, I'm tiny, Europe is bigger for me"

Let's blame the tattoo idea on the messed up tarot reading.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2020/09/14 - The Mouse Returns

Post by Gbr23 »

Hey Spo! You're back from your trip... that we definitely knew you were taking... and we definitely missed you... because again, we knew you were not here... with us
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Rikunda

Post by Rikunda »

It has only been a year... We haven't seen him since like 2013 tho. How does time work in this comic again?
Quote:
Mother Teresa wrote:Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

He did appear in a sketch posted last year. https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... sketchy-1/
And in a one-off before that, which is what I was referencing in my comment post. https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... -portents/
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Hang on, is Spo going to the Uni house?
The home of learning all there is to know?
I take it he never sat an exam?
Well, then, you go, little guy, you just go.
It’s great that Spo has the big ambitions
and has sought to improve his soul and mind,
but culture is more than language, big guy;
calling Fido stupid is quite unkind.
He’ll be needing a new head in the class,
especially to see the class tutor
and, in payback for the help they give him,
he can assist them with their computer...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Rikunda wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:09 am It has only been a year... We haven't seen him since like 2013 tho. How does time work in this comic again?
They all have lives that are moving even when don't see them.

I'll admit I keep mixing Spo with Squeak. Either way, I like Fidos reaction. I think he expected Spo had been invited to dinner with the Bigglesworths or Skip.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

This is Spo's first speaking role since 2015 and his first appearance since 2018. Welcome back. :mrgreen:

Not pictured is what the tattoo says, specifically "I Love Cheese." Spo doesn't, he just made the mistake of getting a tattoo in Wisconsin and telling the artist he was "okay with anything that doesn't have the Packers logo."
bjchan95

Post by bjchan95 »

I'll admit I keep mixing Spo with Squeak. Either way, I like Fidos reaction. I think he expected Spo had been invited to dinner with the Bigglesworths or Skip.
Just remember that Squeak is the one who enjoys getting stepped on is always seen with Joey.
I'm very active on the Housepets! wikia, I've created a lot of articles and help keep it up-to-date! Come and help support us! http://www.housepetscomic.wikia.com
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:17 am
Rikunda wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:09 am It has only been a year... We haven't seen him since like 2013 tho. How does time work in this comic again?
They all have lives that are moving even when don't see them.

Walt Kelly who, like Rick, drew a comic with over a hundred characters, often speculated on how most of them occupied themselves while off-stage. That could be another thread (When not working in "Housepets", Skip the Hawk is a flight controller at LAX.)
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Wow, I totally forgot about that Spo was a character >.< Still, nice to see 'em back!
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Argent

Post by Argent »

Thank you, Rick, for stomping on the trend of furred characters with tattoos I mean how would that even work?

(Badly, it seems)
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Argent wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:21 am Thank you, Rick, for stomping on the trend of furred characters with tattoos I mean how would that even work?

(Badly, it seems)
Dyed fur?

Or even hair follicles that generate a different colour hair?
Ale Donkey

Post by Ale Donkey »

Hey Rick! I had to go back through your comics and remind myself who Spo was. In doing so I have seen how much your art style has evolved. You have refined it so much in the past 7 years. Looking forward to reading more!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Seems like a lot of the tattoos recently on display were done by Spo's artist....
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Spo is back!

University? Does this mean Spo has joined the ECP? Will he soon meet another collegebound rodent?
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Sir Chestnut wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:28 am Spo is back!

University? Does this mean Spo has joined the ECP? Will he soon meet another collegebound rodent?
That was kinda what it felt like to me.... and then run into a hungry Lois?
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

LunarFox wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:34 am

Not sure that Lois is that much a threat. It's funny to see her playing into her form, taking down Keene and teasing Marion, but actually seeing her eat a live rodent is a bit different. I can imagine her staring at a shocked Spo and rolling her eyes at the idea of eating him.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

dr_eirik wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:59 am
LunarFox wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:34 am

Not sure that Lois is that much a threat. It's funny to see her playing into her form, taking down Keene and teasing Marion, but actually seeing her eat a live rodent is a bit different. I can imagine her staring at a shocked Spo and rolling her eyes at the idea of eating him.
Right, not that he'd get eaten but that Lois would be hungry and terrify him by accident.
holmebrian

Post by holmebrian »

yay the return of SPO <3
Argent

Post by Argent »

VeryAngryDeer wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:24 am
Argent wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:21 am Thank you, Rick, for stomping on the trend of furred characters with tattoos I mean how would that even work?

(Badly, it seems)
Dyed fur?

Or even hair follicles that generate a different colour hair?
There are all kinds of alternatives to tattoos, including fur dye, paint, or stylistic shaving. There was an SF novel by Lee Killough called "Deadly Silents" about aliens who were having problems with the non-telepathic offspring of parents who had been burned out by exposure to Earth's billions of unshielded minds. One of the human characters manages to insult an alien barber by suggesting that a template might make painting fur easier...

But I'm talking about the occasional occurrence of artwork featuring patterns, similar in complexity and detail to human skin tattoos, on furred pelt. Even if it were done with dye or pint it wouldn't be as crisp.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

I wasn't around for any arcs where Spo showed up, but it's nice to see him nonetheless! Especially since I have the feeling that he and Marion will be roommates in the ECP boarding house. I could definitely see there being a Rodent Wing with proper-sized accommodations for them that aren't makeshift things of the sort that you'd see in Tom & Jerry.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Back with the original comic. :) Interesting new story arc, nice to see Spo back, he was missing since long time, except for a couple of appearances. That's very good of you, Spo, long travels are an important life experience, also if not without difficulties. And then, a tiny mouse can get big difficulties. ;) Surprised Fido got confused, but he should be happy to see again his old mouse friend. :D Eh, it wasn't a good idea to make a tattoo... :P
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Going with thw thought that Spo is going to end up at the local University...

Spo: I'm still not sure why you're making such a fuss. I can get to class myself!
Fido: Humor me. I'll feel better if you're going with a couple of students I know.s
Spo: Who do you know going to university? Joey? Bino?
Fido: <Rolls eyes> Just keep an open mind. <Knocks on door>
Lois: <Opens door, smiles at Fido> Officer Byron... I mean, Fido! It's been a while!
Spo: HOLY CARP! IT"S A BOBCAT!!
Loia: <Looks for a moment at Spo, then back at Fido> Where's he been?
Fido: Europe.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Ash Greytree wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:05 pm I wasn't around for any arcs where Spo showed up, but it's nice to see him nonetheless! Especially since I have the feeling that he and Marion will be roommates in the ECP boarding house. I could definitely see there being a Rodent Wing with proper-sized accommodations for them that aren't makeshift things of the sort that you'd see in Tom & Jerry.
Maybe "The Return of Jinx" is to be anticipated next .......... ?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Spo should really be careful because Fido is the only one that can put up with him. He burns that bridge he might end in a world of trouble.
restcure

Post by restcure »

Heh - "stomping on"
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

restcure wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:45 am
Heh - "stomping on"
Squeak's already in the queue, I'll bet.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

I like Fido's "confused dog" head tilt in the last panel. Spo seems like the kind of guy who would backpack around Europe to "get ready for college" and then just brag about that constantly instead of actually going to class.

Looks like this is going to be an arc. Wonder what kind of craziness is going to result this time from our blunt little mouse.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hopefully he will learn to be less blunt because if this is an arc about him trying to go to school he obviously will be going with Marion and Lois and Lois doesn't suffer fools gladly.
JackeyAmmy21

Post by JackeyAmmy21 »

In this strip Grape says "The Avengers were also big this year" a strip that happened in 2012, so it's kinda likely that time happens exactly as in real life (like some other franchises like the MCU have)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Elwood Blutarsky wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:03 am I like Fido's "confused dog" head tilt in the last panel. Spo seems like the kind of guy who would backpack around Europe to "get ready for college" and then just brag about that constantly instead of actually going to class.

Looks like this is going to be an arc. Wonder what kind of craziness is going to result this time from our blunt little mouse.
Just as long as he's not going to show souvenir photos.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's why you go with freeze branding, Spo.

So, like, he was gone a full year without Fido knowing why? That'd have to be nerve-wracking.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sleet wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:23 pm That's why you go with freeze branding, Spo.

So, like, he was gone a full year without Fido knowing why? That'd have to be nerve-wracking.
Yeah, if true, that doesn't say much for Fido's awareness skills. Unless Spo habitually vanishes for long, unannounced periods of time and that, too, would be worrisome (but perhaps welcomed Fido's K9 colleagues who are relieved to be rid of mousey snark).
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Sleet wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:23 pm That's why you go with freeze branding, Spo.

Given that Spo is a mouse, after he didn't appear for a while he likely just assumed he was, well, gone. Like taking a trip down the alimentary canal.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Going to be honest, Fido didn't seem that pleased to see Spo again. Maybe he thought himself free. Or maybe he was upset that Spo just left without telling him initially. Though maybe this is an opportunity to delve more into their relationship.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

D-Rock wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:12 pm Going to be honest, Fido didn't seem that pleased to see Spo again. Maybe he thought himself free. Or maybe he was upset that Spo just left without telling him initially. Though maybe this is an opportunity to delve more into their relationship.
I'm leaning towards thinking that it's that he left without a word, and even a year or so later, doesn't seem to realize that was impolite. It always felt like they had an odd relationship, but if Fido hadn't liked him he could have booted him out.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think Fido has it in him to resent anybody no matter what they do to him or act towards him. He still makes some effort with Bino when anytime Fox sees him he is liable to send him to the vet.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Spo's finally made his return,
Hope Fido's okay, yeah coffee can burn,
And Spo says he got a tat,
But the fur's blurred it, look at that.

Spo says he's going on to get his degree,
And he'll find it's not real easy,
But hey, he's back,
Maybe he's discovered a life hack.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Wonder if Spo learned a new language while he was off and abroad?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would imagine he would try then after about 5 minutes probably give up then speak gibberish to the others and try to claim THAT was a language. :mrgreen: