Chat Thread 43: Good Ol' ArcWolves' Club (Voting's hard,OK?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

D-Rock

Re: Chat Thread 43: Good Ol' ArcWolves' Club (Voting's hard,OK?)

Post by D-Rock »

I very rarely tweet about myself, either, just retweeting other people and occasionally posting memes.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I only rejoined Twitter to occasionally comment on the strip while this site was still wonky.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I just really don't find Twitter appealing. It feels like less about socializing and more about one-way socializing. More about being heard than conversing.

Also, since pages are smaller, is this thread no longer at risk of reaching Chat Thread 44? :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Sleet wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:48 pm I just really don't find Twitter appealing. It feels like less about socializing and more about one-way socializing. More about being heard than conversing.
I agree. I tried Twitter once, but I honestly prefer one-one socializing.
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Honestly on the occasions that I am on FaceBook I use that for one-way socializing and letting people know about stuff that happens to me but I now realize that since my life is boring, nobody really cares. :?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Anyone know enough about laptops to help me figure out what kind to get for my birthday? I’m looking for one under $1000, with the only requirements being that it has to be powerful enough to play Xcom: Chimera Squad, and that it has to be something I’m not going to replace for a while.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Don't think I can help you because I don't even know what MY gaming laptop is other than its a Dell and runs Windows.

Actually I haven't played a game on it in a while. :shock:
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

D-Rock wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:07 pmDo note, they’re allowed to be more of themselves outside of the forums.
omg, don't call me out like this, shh

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Dissension wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:45 pm
D-Rock wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:07 pmDo note, they’re allowed to be more of themselves outside of the forums.
omg, don't call me out like this, shh
Hey, before I found your Twitter, you were just “that guy whose name pops up on the forums sometimes.” Now you’re in my top five of people I want to get to know better.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

OK, first of all, nobody should ever get to know me better, it always ends badly for everyone. :b

Second, I am an awful influence.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Ahh, yer not so awful an influence, Diss - but taking yer warning on getting to know you better's probably prudent... ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wouldn't have mind getting to know you if we meet each other in real life. But judging by the fact that I finally started making you exasperated after all this time and wishing I would just leave you probably wouldn't like me in real life either. Though I am a lot quieter and shyer.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:52 pm I wouldn't have mind getting to know you if we meet each other in real life. But judging by the fact that I finally started making you exasperated after all this time and wishing I would just leave you probably wouldn't like me in real life either. Though I am a lot quieter and shyer.
I wouldn't be too worried, Amazz ... being a Mod is probably just exasperating by definition. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

More exasperating in having to deal with me a whole lot and keeping an eye to make sure that I get disciplined when I break the rules.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

More exasperating when you're constantly painting yourself in a negative light for no reason other than constantly viewing yourself as a problem.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am trying to work on that though Rome wasn't built in a day. In this case it might take a little bit longer.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Does anyone else get really down when their birthdays don’t feel special?

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I used to until I turned mid-60s. Now I greet them with relief ... and chocloate cake. At my age and my stage, a birthday is kind of a "movable feast" to be celebrated "whenever".

And we think your birthday's special, Legotron ... `cause it's about YOU! ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm just glad if I can go out to eat somewhere. I'm not sure how the **** this birthday is gonna pan out because of social distancing and the fact we don't know how long everything will last.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Mom and I went to Panda Express the other day, and they were still enforcing their take-out only policy. So we ate what we got at a nearby park. It was actually really nice. Also got me to look up how to make their chow mein. Maybe I'll tackle that in the future.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really nit a big fan of Chinese food but I will eat it if my mother wants it and orders it. Though I don't think I would care enough to try to replicate any recipes.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

D-Rock wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:59 pm Mom and I went to Panda Express the other day, and they were still enforcing their take-out only policy. So we ate what we got at a nearby park. It was actually really nice. Also got me to look up how to make their chow mein. Maybe I'll tackle that in the future.
I really should do that more often. One time I went to my favorite restaurant in town because I wanted to support my favorite businesses that might struggle (I never go unless I'm hosting someone, usually my mate), and I decided to eat it on the picnic tables outside my apartment, so I didn't have to eat special food on the same table I eat everything else. Not long after I finished it started raining. Boo. Tasted great though.

I'm super picky with food, but I'd like to one day be able to handle Chinese food. Especially since I'm learning Chinese.我还不喜欢中国菜!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Hey, nice! Seemed like that meal was quite the adventure in of itself.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

We usually start with a recipe, discover halfway through that we don't have all the ingredients, so we just toss in assorted leftovers. My mother referred to that as "slumgullion". Her line was "What you don't finish at dinner, you'll see again at breakfast." What she never mentioned was that she'd likely throw in the odds-and-end sauce or spice. Dad called it "Kamchatka cuisine"; never did ask him why - musta been a Navy term.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

My mother will NEVER cook anything without knowing if she has all of the ingredients and if she is missing some she complains about how she has to make something else since she can't cook what she had planned. LOL
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

This is a good reason why you need to properly plan things out. Make lists, go out shopping, make sure you have the time and equipment to see it through.

But sometimes, there's fun is seeing what you already have, slap things together, and see how it comes out. Preferably edible.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

My mother is really good at the proper planning of things when it comes to making dinner. It's my father I kind of worry about. When he goes shopping if he knows we need something and its not on the list but he KNOWS it is something we need, he doesn't buy it.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I generally write down and plan everything when cooking. I have thrown together sauces, though, generally because my parents wouldn’t tell me until dinner was cooking.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Generally I just make microwave dinners because I don't think I am that good at cooking and my experiment would most likely be a total disaster.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I don't cook very elaborate dishes; the missus loves to play with recipes she finds on the internet. Being vegetarian, a lot of what we have is foreign although we experiment with fake meats a fair amount.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Are both of you vegetarian or is just your wife?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:07 pm Are both of you vegetarian or is just your wife?
Both of us, although on rare occasions, we'll eat fish. We used to go vegetarian for Lent and, one year, we decided to make it permanent.

Some one once asked the writer, Issac Bashevis Singer why he became a vegetarian. His response was "For my health ... and the health of the cows ... and the sheep ... and the chickens ... and ...." well, you get the drift. We also did volunteer work at a farm sanctuary for a while. We do eat eggs and dairy products; some folks would call us on that (veggers can be kinda "sectarian").
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

D-Rock wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:04 pm This is a good reason why you need to properly plan things out. Make lists, go out shopping, make sure you have the time and equipment to see it through.

But sometimes, there's fun is seeing what you already have, slap things together, and see how it comes out. Preferably edible.
When my mate and I cook, we always make a shopping trip part of the occasion!

I imagine we won't be able to do that once we're married and it's a more normal occasion, though. But at that point we'll also have more money to keep groceries in stock. :P
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sleet wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 pm
D-Rock wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:04 pm This is a good reason why you need to properly plan things out. Make lists, go out shopping, make sure you have the time and equipment to see it through.

I imagine we won't be able to do that once we're married and it's a more normal occasion, though. But at that point we'll also have more money to keep groceries in stock. :P
Actually, you can, Sleet - the missus and I like to shop together ... and, now, it's about the only times we can go out together.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

My mother does not go with my father when he does the shopping so I don't think it is that enjoyable for her and just wants him to get the groceries.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

NHWestoN wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:06 pm
Sleet wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 pm

Actually, you can, Sleet - the missus and I like to shop together ... and, now, it's about the only times we can go out together.
What I meant was making a dedicated trip before every meal we cook. :P
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

It's that pack hunting instinct! :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I just realized I don't have to worry about dinner on Monday since i have leftover food that my aunt gave me from my uncle's party.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Leftovers ... it's what's for dinner ... again. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I had one part of the leftovers which was chicken marsala and chicken parmesan but I didn't get to eating the egg noodles.