2020/02/26 - The Hermit Option

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2020/02/26 - The Hermit Option

Post by D-Rock »

[2020/02/26 - The Hermit Option]
Title Text: someone took the can opener! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If you want to live in the wild, you gotta make proper plans. Fully furnished house is a good start.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
fenrirblack

Re: 2020/02/26 - The Hermit Option

Post by fenrirblack »

Sasha has issues and King can't deal with them, who saw that coming? Literally everyone.

Well, considering he did out camp the wolves, living off the land wouldn't be too hard for him. Although the heated house is a nice bonus and he did build it with his own two paws. In a technical sense he does know how to "live off the Land" so long as the land provides.

Right now Sasha is probably conked out at home sleeping in their bed. Her evil plan worked. She got the bed to herself.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

It’s always nice to see characters reference in current arcs events of past arcs
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Nice honorary wolf callback.
The cape comes with the promotion.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

How does King think that rejecting Sasha's advances will undo all the progress she's made? If anything, having someone firmly tell her "no" while still being her friend is probably one of the healthiest ways forward for her.
Last edited by leinglo on Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Caught between a Rock and a Bailey
the Regent must finally give in;
there’s no escape without explaining,
no forgiveness without forgiving.
A Bailey is a Castle wall
that protects the world inside;
keeping the rulers ever safe
against the rising threats outside.
She is the wall, standing fast
as he frets over the strife;
the most loving pair in Housepets!,
together they share one life.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Even after all these years, King seems naked without his collar. XD
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Yeah King, I think Sasha will have to learn that some things will change for her.
But it was still kinda clever of him taking a third option :lol:
leinglo wrote:How does King think that rejecting Sasha's advances will undo all the progress she's made? If anything, having someone firmly tell her "no" while still being her friend is probably one of the healthiest ways forward for her.
Maybe he thinks she will think everyone will let her alone, now that she is on her own?
Or maybe she could be afraid of things changing too fast?
It was implied that his relationship with his parents also weren't the best (if I remember correctly), maybe he experienced something similiar back when he was Joel?
yugijak

Post by yugijak »

leinglo wrote:How does King think that rejecting Sasha's advances will undo all the progress she's made? If anything, having someone firmly tell her "no" while still being her friend is probably one of the healthiest ways forward for her.
Well let's look at it this way.

Sasha took King not being interested in kissing her as him finding her ugly and the idea they want her to stop being because they don't want to play with her.

So saying that might be a bad thing if she uses it to find fault in HERSELF. If she makes it HER FAULT then it could very well do a lot of damage.

She's in a mentally fragile state because she doesn't understand a lot of social elements in no small part due to her owner. And in mental health sometimes you have to go the extra mile to work around something to maintain progress.

Personal example: I found that when I focus on a goal I get so fixated on it to the exclusion of all other possibility that if I mess it up or don't meet my expectation (and they tend to be absurdly high ones but staying on topic) that I take major fault with myself and it rapidly derails into the idea I am not worth anything. Obviously that's an extreme statement and a massive underselling of bullying myself but this isn't about me. The point is I found that if I verbally acknowledge something could go wrong IE (things may not work out with this person I like, this project may be a disaster, etc) it helps counterbalance my overfocus problem and, despite being negative, for me is a positive reassurance that it's OK if this doesn't work out.

The mind is a very confusing. When convinced of something strongly enough it will do everything possible to maintain that conviction. The stronger the impression the thicker the wall that will be thrown up. And sometimes that wall itself is the issue.

This is probably a very left field thing but I do wonder if Sasha might actually be an ADHD/ADD or Asperger's dog. It'd be very interesting to see those kinds of human problems reflected in pets/animals and how it might affect certain groups going forward that work for animal rights.

I mean she's extremely intelligent but also bad at socializing. She can talk well but actually grasping communication seems to be a genuine struggle for her. She's basically an overgrown puppy with some very skewed misunderstandings about people.

Maybe that's the other reason Kevin had King care for her. They ARE parents. Might be good for Sasha to interact with puppies since they might be easier for her to communicate with.
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

Ryusuta wrote:Even after all these years, King seems naked without his collar. XD
Ya know, I had been thinking there was something a bit off about King the last few pages, and that's what was bugging me. His neck just seems awkwardly long and skinny without it.

Also, I'm not sure if there's really something to this or if it's just a factor of me not following so closely the last few days, but all the faces of the characters in Rick's most recent art style all seem kinda same-y. Like, go back a couple years and there's more variation between characters in that regard. Going back to Friday's comic, I swear I've seen that exact face Bailey's making elsewhere in the comic, just the expression's pasted onto Bailey instead of whoever I last saw it with.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, King, if you're going to be a REAL Hermit, you have to say all that over again as limericks.
RacingCheetahz

Post by RacingCheetahz »

So uh, King is likely a somewhat skilled builder as he some how built an electrically powered heated and lighted dog house that has stood in impeccable condition in the woods for at the very least 5 years. (Likely closer to 10)
Though with the lack of Solar Panels and the lack of external wiring, where that power is coming from is beyond me.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

That's certainly something that needs to happen, but its going to be difficult and has a high risk of backfire. Sasha needs to learn to take no for an answer, but telling her no makes her less likely to want to learn that lesson.

King is worried that in the process of getting Sasha not to hit on him, he'll destroy her self-confidence, since it seems to be entirely built on her attractiveness.

King and Bailey need to deprogram Sasha's current worldview and rebuild a healthier one, and that's not going to be a fast process. Its not going to be solved with one discussion.
Argent

Post by Argent »

King is really underselling just how creepy Sasha was.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

This exchange, and how fast she found him, makes me think that Bailey has always known about the doghouse King built for Sasha. Being that King and Bailey clearly have a strong relationship, they've probably discussed his involvement in "protecting" her from her previous owner, and likely understands the conflict King must be feeling now that Sasha is free, and is trying to cope with that freedom.

The problem, of course, is that the other dogs have likely been abetting her attitude of basing her self-worth entirely on her attractiveness. Which is why Sasha is so hurt that King isn't "giving in" to her advances.

The question is what role Bailey can play in changing Sasha's heart so that she can find another quality for her to apply self-worth to.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Macsen wrote:This exchange, and how fast she found him, makes me think that Bailey has always known about the doghouse King built for Sasha. Being that King and Bailey clearly have a strong relationship, they've probably discussed his involvement in "protecting" her from her previous owner, and likely understands the conflict King must be feeling now that Sasha is free, and is trying to cope with that freedom.

The problem, of course, is that the other dogs have likely been abetting her attitude of basing her self-worth entirely on her attractiveness. Which is why Sasha is so hurt that King isn't "giving in" to her advances.

The question is what role Bailey can play in changing Sasha's heart so that she can find another quality for her to apply self-worth to.
At the same time, can Bailey change her heart? Not being mean, but knowing Sasha? She'd probably react the same way to Bailey helping her like how she reacted to what King said, leading to more issues.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

SeanWolf wrote:
Macsen wrote:This exchange, and how fast she found him, makes me think that Bailey has always known about the doghouse King built for Sasha. Being that King and Bailey clearly have a strong relationship, they've probably discussed his involvement in "protecting" her from her previous owner, and likely understands the conflict King must be feeling now that Sasha is free, and is trying to cope with that freedom.

At the same time, can Bailey change her heart? Not being mean, but knowing Sasha? She'd probably react the same way to Bailey helping her like how she reacted to what King said, leading to more issues.
Sasha obviously needs help from somewhere, whether it's King, Bailey, or someone else. The point is, King "giving in" is not going to help.

Honestly, I think Kevin may hold the key. Obviously he is capable of being sharper than he usually lets on. He may need to step in, perhaps ask to be even more exclusive with her in their relationship. His permissiveness of her casual liaisons with other dogs isn't helping, either.

See: his attitudes regarding what happened between Sasha and Fox at the onsen. He was okay with Sasha throwing herself on Fox until Fox revealed his crush.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Macsen wrote:
SeanWolf wrote:

Sasha obviously needs help from somewhere, whether it's King, Bailey, or someone else. The point is, King "giving in" is not going to help.

Honestly, I think Kevin may hold the key. Obviously he is capable of being sharper than he usually lets on. He may need to step in, perhaps ask to be even more exclusive with her in their relationship. His permissiveness of her casual liaisons with other dogs isn't helping, either.

See: his attitudes regarding what happened between Sasha and Fox at the onsen. He was okay with Sasha throwing herself on Fox until Fox revealed his crush.
True, Kevin does seem a bit absent-minded when it comes to Sasha. Honestly, Sasha may be too much of a lost cause at this point where not even the ECP or Kevin could help her (which brings to mind an idea of someone else entering the picture and giving her the help she needs i.e someone who went through the same things she's going through).
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Pretty sure you already rejected her, King =P
Macsen wrote:Sasha obviously needs help from somewhere, whether it's King, Bailey, or someone else. The point is, King "giving in" is not going to help.

Kevin is my best bet as well, but it would be funny if she had to learn from a cat. A possibliity came across me in today's comic? I could see Sasha going to Bino for some reason, only for Maxwell to intervene. Then we're on to a whole new can of worms.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

GameCobra wrote:Kevin is my best bet as well, but it would be funny if she had to learn from a cat. A possibliity came across me in today's comic? I could see Sasha going to Bino for some reason, only for Maxwell to intervene. Then we're on to a whole new can of worms.
Admit it, the only reason you're suggesting this Crack Pairing is because it would lead directly to Grapenut. :P
SeanWolf wrote:Honestly, Sasha may be too much of a lost cause at this point
And I disagree with the idea of anybody being a lost cause. No matter how broken or resistant of help/change anybody is, no one is a lost cause so long as they are alive and breathing air.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Maybe he could threaten the squirrels into shelling nuts for him?
--

Honorary wolf, wow, that's a rewind
And a reminder to King, he needs to be kind.
Seems like he needs to go out and face his fears
Instead of parachuting with his ears
And fleeing to the woods.

Bailey's here to remind him of that,
But he's afraid of goofing things up
With Sasha. King, you silly pup,
You're gonna be fine,
But only if you own up, not whine.

Awkward's a mood, not a state of being,
Now hurry, your chance to fix this is fleeting.
Instead of hiding in your heated hut,
Honorary wolf, my tail, fix this, you nut.
You can do this, Bailey believes too.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Macsen wrote:And I disagree with the idea of anybody being a lost cause. No matter how broken or resistant of help/change anybody is, no one is a lost cause so long as they are alive and breathing air.
You're right, I apologize for saying she is a lost cause. I only said that just from what I've seen and read of her but, looking back, maybe 'lost cause' wasn't the right terminology to use. She may just need someone more suited for helping her and I don't personally think either Bailey, King, and/or Kevin would be the best ones at this moment.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

SeanWolf wrote:
Macsen wrote:And I disagree with the idea of anybody being a lost cause. No matter how broken or resistant of help/change anybody is, no one is a lost cause so long as they are alive and breathing air.
You're right, I apologize for saying she is a lost cause. I only said that just from what I've seen and read of her but, looking back, maybe 'lost cause' wasn't the right terminology to use. She may just need someone more suited for helping her and I don't personally think either Bailey, King, and/or Kevin would be the best ones at this moment.
Although I've long paired Fox and Sasha, someone she might pal with who could be helpful is Sabrina. Kevin? Well, I've sold Kevin short before and he suddenly revealed some unexpected depth on me, so no editorials on the Tacklehound from me....
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Macsen wrote: Admit it, the only reason you're suggesting this Crack Pairing is because it would lead directly to Grapenut. :P
Don't you mean Grapewell? :D

And while I'm guilty of that, I suspect Sasha is going to look for someone that had no problems with her odd behaviour, but since Kevin and King aren't around, my guess she is going to be searching for either Fido or Bino and - funny enough, gets helpful advice from either Sabrina or Maxwell. It's a stretch, but Rick is full of surprises :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

GameCobra wrote:
Macsen wrote: Admit it, the only reason you're suggesting this Crack Pairing is because it would lead directly to Grapenut. :P
Don't you mean Grapewell? :D

And while I'm guilty of that, I suspect Sasha is going to look for someone that had no problems with her odd behaviour, but since Kevin and King aren't around, my guess she is going to be searching for either Fido or Bino and - funny enough, gets helpful advice from either Sabrina or Maxwell. It's a stretch, but Rick is full of surprises :3
Imagine if she went for advice from Delusional Steve...who ends up surprising her with legitimately heartfelt advice.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wonder what happened to the King who was able to rough it when he went camping? Now he needs to have a pantry and a heater? He didn’t need it before though…
Were Jack

Post by Were Jack »

Why is it always characters like King's fault?
All he wanted is to not do weird things with Sasha that could be considered as cheating on his wife. Also he has feelings too. He is the one who was oppressed in the first place.
He can't just allow whatever Sasha or anyone else wants, despite of what he really wants. If it hurt his emotions, he has the same right to feel bad or even mad about it.
I don't know what will be the conclusion of the arc yet, but I hope it's not the theme like "the main hero does something that secondary character doesn't like and it's all his fault, even if he didn't do anything wrong". Because I really, really hate this kind of themes in literature and movies etc. Like the main char was obliged to do whatever other characters want. It's also not good in real life too. Healthy relationship is only when both has their respects and demands, not just only one has their needs fulfilled.

So instead of asking "does Sasha feels good about it", maybe we ask what King feels about it? Because I doubt he is happy with any of that. They should go for consensus. And it doesn't need to be at the middle. If one person wants something, another can't give, like love, the consensus won't be in the very middle. And Sasha demands things King can't give to her.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Looks like Bailey figured out everything of what happened. :) I agree with you, King, her behavior is making you crazy... Sasha needs to understand and get self control of her enthusiasm... :roll: Nice that the hut has all the comforts, and yeah King, you won that title from the wolves. ;) The missing can opener is indeed something tragic! :o :P
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Were Jack wrote:Why is it always characters like King's fault?
All he wanted is to not do weird things with Sasha that could be considered as cheating on his wife. Also he has feelings too. He is the one who was oppressed in the first place.
He can't just allow whatever Sasha or anyone else wants, despite of what he really wants. If it hurt his emotions, he has the same right to feel bad or even mad about it.
I don't know what will be the conclusion of the arc yet, but I hope it's not the theme like "the main hero does something that secondary character doesn't like and it's all his fault, even if he didn't do anything wrong". Because I really, really hate this kind of themes in literature and movies etc. Like the main char was obliged to do whatever other characters want. It's also not good in real life too. Healthy relationship is only when both has their respects and demands, not just only one has their needs fulfilled.

So instead of asking "does Sasha feels good about it", maybe we ask what King feels about it? Because I doubt he is happy with any of that. They should go for consensus. And it doesn't need to be at the middle. If one person wants something, another can't give, like love, the consensus won't be in the very middle. And Sasha demands things King can't give to her.
I don't think anyone really thinks it's King's fault and while I could see him learning something, it's not "do what others say so they feel better" but more sort of "It's okay to say if YOU have a problem with something just admit that you're having a problem with it instead of having a mental breakdown."
See King said he wants to make sure there are clear boundaries so that BAILEY isn't the one having a problem with it, in truth it's him the one having a problem with it.
King also has another problem, which is he doesn't seem to trust himself not to betray Bailey.
That is the interesting thing about King, before that he didn't show it because he wasn't together with Bailey and so didn't had problems with it.
For example when Duchess wanted him to be her partner for a dogshow, he was more worried if Bailey had a problem with it and even called her to make sure Bailey is okay that he (king) is going to a dog show with another female dog. When Bailey, before her and King were married, made a joke about him already having a new girl it was, again, King having a problem about it as if he felt guilty.

Now while you could argue that it's normal for dogs more than one partner, but as we saw several dogs don't have a problem with just having one partner and it doesn't even seem to be THAT strange.
So overall I don't think it's just Sasha that makes King acting so crazy, it's him being afraid he could betray Bailey.
Yes, Sasha is acting really extreme (but that's besides the point), but I bet if any other female dog (or even female cat or something else) would look attractive to King and she would come close to him (for whatever reason) he would react similiar to it.
So I guess his arc would learning to trust himself in that regard more. Which may sound strange, but it really looks like it.

Now that doesn't say that this arc won't bring change to Sasha.
It was often discussed during this arc what her problem maybe and there had been a lot of good thoughts.
I say her problem is at, least partly, that she is....well....a dog.
That may sound like oversimplification, but while the pets do act like teenagers/young adults for most of the time, they're still animals. If you take an animal in a certain age from their used habitat into a new one, they will have problems with getting used to it. Not to mention dogs are loyal, in Sasha's case loyal to a fault, and now she was taken away from her owner, which she respects and even loves (although how much of that love and respect is still there is not clear).
Not only is she in a different new place, she has to get used to a new way of living.
Add to that she has more the mindset of a teenager, more precisly she seems to be some kind of party girl (?), now she really HAS to take care of herself. Sure she does things like choires, so she isn't totally helpless and even had a few jobs, but the question really is if she knows she can make it.
If remember correctly someone said to the last strip that she seems to have certain mental issues.
While I don't know how correct it is, the post also said that her making out with other and being seen as attractive is important for her self-esteem. (I apologize for forgetting the name of the user who made that statement)
So it seems Sasha tries to cling to that.

While I don't think her character development will be solved in this arc, it does at least kick it off and we see Sasha slowly maturing (hopefully NOT to an extend where she is a complete different person.)

Soo.....yeah....
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yeah, no one can really blame King in this situation. He hurt Sasha's feelings, but it's a difficult situation where King doesn't know how to enforce boundaries without hurting Sasha. He's not been trained how to handle this kind of problem. Hardly a reason to judge King ;)
And Sasha doesn't understand why King finds her requests unreasonable, so it's also hard to judge her.
I'm loving this arc precisely because of how murky the exact best course of action is, but that does mean a lot of uncertainty for us as we wait for events to play out. We just have to be patient
bravelove

Post by bravelove »

Can i just love how maturely both the comic and the fandom is handling this arc? no ones overly blaming anyone for anything, everyone seems aware that this is a combination of factors that cant be boiled down to 'sasha manipulative' or 'king cruel' like you would see in a lot of other fandoms, and is giving the subject matter the respect and patience it deserves, but also no one is fully excusing them in their actions either, instead they just want them to get proper help from people more equipped to handle this, and its really heartwarming to see
Image Image
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Am I the only one who is wondering why they put Sasha in the ECP? Why not just give her a new (better) owner?
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

FoxyBoi wrote:Am I the only one who is wondering why they put Sasha in the ECP? Why not just give her a new (better) owner?
You know, that's a good question: Why didn't they do that?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Progress the cause.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

SeanWolf wrote:
FoxyBoi wrote:Am I the only one who is wondering why they put Sasha in the ECP? Why not just give her a new (better) owner?
Maybe it would had taken too long to find a new owner.
Also I can imagine Sasha being in the ECP gives her some protection so that her old owner just can't try to get her back.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is how I look at it also because if she gets a new owner, what is to stop Drunkard Hartford from either trying to buy her back or convince Sasha to come back since she has a lot of issues in regards to him.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

RacingCheetahz wrote:So uh, King is likely a somewhat skilled builder as he some how built an electrically powered heated and lighted dog house that has stood in impeccable condition in the woods for at the very least 5 years. (Likely closer to 10)
Though with the lack of Solar Panels and the lack of external wiring, where that power is coming from is beyond me.
A really long (buried) extension cord.
GameCobra wrote:Kevin is my best bet as well, but it would be funny if she had to learn from a cat. A possibliity came across me in today's comic? I could see Sasha going to Bino for some reason, only for Maxwell to intervene. Then we're on to a whole new can of worms.
Sasha doesn't seem to have much, if any, bias against cats.
SeanWolf wrote:
Like I said earlier, That plan hinges on finding a willing owner. The ECP can't walk up to Mr. and Mrs. Sandwich and say "congratulations, you now have another pet to take care of" (well, they could try, but that would make things worse).
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If they did that, I'm sure they would either get bad press or a lawsuit which because of what Steward is doing wouldn't really be that good of an idea at the moment.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Peanut, Grape, and Sasha under the same roof? Could we bring Res in so there'd be two cats as well as two dogs? Res and Sasha, that'll be interesting!