2019/12/06 - My Eyes Have Seen the Glory

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Sir Chestnut

Re: 2019/12/06 - My Eyes Have Seen the Glory

Post by Sir Chestnut »

dr_eirik wrote:Anyone else get the impression that, in the moment of meeting Kitsune, Lois kinda forgot why she was even there? And credit to Marion for not running away.
I don't know if Marion has anywhere to run, they might be on an alternate plane at this point.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Sir Chestnut wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:Anyone else get the impression that, in the moment of meeting Kitsune, Lois kinda forgot why she was even there? And credit to Marion for not running away.
I don't know if Marion has anywhere to run, they might be on an alternate plane at this point.
I think they're still in the room they were in, its just that Kitsune has invoked eldritch geometry to make the space bigger.

Regardless, Marion couldn't hope to escape Kitsune if Kitsune was inclined to keep him in place.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It could be a natural freezing response that some prey animals exhibit when threatened. Small rodents such as Marion have this behavior.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

Wait, why is his form so cool and actually drastically different except for color and amount of tails,.....

...YET spirit dragon and pete the Griffin only get somewhat bigger, and glowing eyes? Pete doesn't change at all other than glowing eyes, same for spirit and Cerberus. And that is MINUS their clothed fully human (as in they wear human clothes and have more human looking anatomy, except for having fur, and having animal heads) anthro forms which all deities have.

So is only the great whale and kitsune have completely extreme forms?

Come to think of it, ALL deities have had some extreme form change EXCEPT spirit dragon, and being reincarnated as a fox DOESN'T count. Pete had his human disguise, and if you went on Rick's tumblr, king swamps body types with Cerberus, and he got 3 heads, while she looked like a version of olive.

So, in my opinion, when it comes to many forms and identities, kitsune has the most, while spirit has the least.

Poor spirit.....

RIP :?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I got the impression that Pete had a bipedal look a lot, but when showing off his power, it was a quadrupedal form. We've seen Kitsune pull off a quadrupedal form before. Just not this flashy.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Others have already mentioned the obvious "this isn't even my final form," so there goes my witty comment. Lookin' sick, Kitsune. Rick, sometimes you outdo yourself. ;)
ZAR22 wrote:Wait, why is his form so cool and actually drastically different except for color and amount of tails,.....

...YET spirit dragon and pete the Griffin only get somewhat bigger, and glowing eyes? Pete doesn't change at all other than glowing eyes, same for spirit and Cerberus. And that is MINUS their clothed fully human (as in they wear human clothes and have more human looking anatomy, except for having fur, and having animal heads) anthro forms which all deities have.
Logic typically doesn't apply to Celestial workings, but if today's alt-text is any indication, Pete and Dragon's "true forms" are easier to draw, and this form of Kitsune is just a rare treat. Or, if we want a lore-based reason, who's to say Pete and Dragon used intermediate forms, or maybe they're not as powerful as Kitsune?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

ZAR22 wrote:Wait, why is his form so cool and actually drastically different except for color and amount of tails,.....

Come to think of it, ALL deities have had some extreme form change EXCEPT spirit dragon, and being reincarnated as a fox DOESN'T count. Pete had his human disguise, and if you went on Rick's tumblr, king swamps body types with Cerberus, and he got 3 heads, while she looked like a version of olive.

So, in my opinion, when it comes to many forms and identities, kitsune has the most, while spirit has the least.

Poor spirit.....

There's no reason to think Pete and Dragon couldn't have had more grandiose forms, but the two of them never felt the need to. Remember, with heavenly beings, appearance is all a matter of how you perceive yourself, so there really ISN'T a "true form" for any of the celestials. It's just a matter of how they want to be seen by those around them.
This might be why Bahamut appeared as a dragon to Pete (who is a gamer and Bahamut is more associated with dragons to gamers), but appears as a giant space whale to King, who would probably find that form more comforting and easier to talk to.
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

I guess, but it still would have been nice to see them, especially spirit, when a grandiose form, or a drastically different form, because I feel like she is the least developed, least flavored out of all the group, and she is just sort of "there", if you know what I mean, other than that celestial game.

And I know that's it works in Rick's universe, but kitsune seems like he can at least control his perception of others, and I would atleast see spirit, when she is a demi god again, get some character development and atleast a fancier form, maybe full on green glowing tattoos and wings, with a furry mane? Just hoping...

Also, other than relationship problems with her avatars and their partners, what was wrong with her again?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

In my opinion, I think that previous "true form" of Kitsune was his "true" form. This is just for show. Like others have said the celestials can change their forms at will so all the red and flash is just showing off like a temporary tattoo but when he's serious and actually needs to do something divine he uses his other true form. Another way to look at it is this is just like his "kidsune" form except the opposite end of the spectrum. The same goes for Dragon and Pete who've we've also seen their "true" forms. If they wanted more flash they could but those forms are their natural "full power" mode forms. Something that happens instinctually and without thought.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Nobody wrote:

Poor spirit.....

There's no reason to think Pete and Dragon couldn't have had more grandiose forms, but the two of them never felt the need to. Remember, with heavenly beings, appearance is all a matter of how you perceive yourself, so there really ISN'T a "true form" for any of the celestials. It's just a matter of how they want to be seen by those around them.
This might be why Bahamut appeared as a dragon to Pete (who is a gamer and Bahamut is more associated with dragons to gamers), but appears as a giant space whale to King, who would probably find that form more comforting and easier to talk to.
Agreed. Kitsune's appearance to King, while gigantic, was distinctly unthreatening although still teasing. Maybe, since he was about to grant King his well-earned "boon", GK was showing his professional side while Marion and Lois got the "You-want-Menace?" version. Even there, ol'nine-tails conveys more drama than danger. Nice body art with the red swirls, too.

Off-topic Note: Eudoant appears constantly with lime green phosphorescent eyes. Optical color may be a power assertion thing since she's an authority figure and apparently on duty.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Cool, also Lois is impressed by the majesty of Great Kitsune. He's such an heartbreaker. ;) And wow, that sort of mystical form is so beautiful! :o Tug his tails gives curses? Ok, good to already know. :? Did he destroy the house becoming so big, anyway? :P
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

We HAVE seen Dragon in other forms. If you recall she took a few different shapes (like the Human Peanut dance battled) in the Gallifrax story.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

ZAR22 wrote:Also, other than relationship problems with her avatars and their partners, what was wrong with her again?
I think what was really wrong with her was kinda the same thing wrong with Pete. They were both thinking about what THEY wanted for the mortal world instead of what was best for it. They lacked perspective and were both trying impose their personal desires on the mortal realm with out any concern for or even context of the effects it would have on mortals.
That's why the punishment is becoming mortal. It's so that they have a clearer idea of what being mortal is like.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

"Don't tug the tails unless you like curses"

A bit of a hollow threat considering the circumstances.
vulpinator

Post by vulpinator »

Right when I was thinking none of the foxes in this comic would get the muscle treatment Rick had given a lot of the other characters, he pulls this. Gotta say, a part of me still prefers the humble, lanky Kitsune. :D
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

CunningFox wrote:"Don't tug the tails unless you like curses"

Do not tempt the deity to prove you wrong.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

VeryAngryDeer wrote:

Do not tempt the deity to prove you wrong.
As they say in Maine, "Don't tickle the shark's chin".
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

NHWestoN wrote:
Off-topic Note: Eudoant appears constantly with lime green phosphorescent eyes. Optical color may be a power assertion thing since she's an authority figure and apparently on duty.
Eudoant is a she? Thought it was a dude....
Welsh Halfwit wrote:We HAVE seen Dragon in other forms. If you recall she took a few different shapes (like the Human Peanut dance battled) in the Gallifrax story.
No, that wasn't her, that was some avatars she has, and she has been using to spy on them. Notice the green eyes, and how they were with tarot, and the fact they get her tattoos on them, so there is also that to consider, because tarot also shows tattoos of some sort when using her powers as that monster.

So I say we haven't seen her in different forms, and I don't recall demi gods having 3 bodies at once to talk to people...
Nobody wrote:
ZAR22 wrote:Also, other than relationship problems with her avatars and their partners, what was wrong with her again?
I think what was really wrong with her was kinda the same thing wrong with Pete. They were both thinking about what THEY wanted for the mortal world instead of what was best for it. They lacked perspective and were both trying impose their personal desires on the mortal realm with out any concern for or even context of the effects it would have on mortals.
That's why the punishment is becoming mortal. It's so that they have a clearer idea of what being mortal is like.
Ok, thx, wasn't really sure, just at first, other than what I mentioned, and the fact she seemed to not like mortals being honest, she seemed pretty average and not as bad at first glance, and as one put it, "she seems nice".
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

ZAR22 wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:
So did I.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Now I am seeing a dynamic between Marion and Lois similar to Maxwell and Grape.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So Lois is now incredibly elated with seeing Kitsune's snazzy form on display? I can't tell whether she wants him to stay like this or she is in shock.
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:The Kit’s tail is just like Superman’s cape,
tugging it only brings regrets;

And you don't mess around with Rick.
jonas

Post by jonas »

Y'know, I can't help but wonder. Spirit Dragon, Great Kitsune...Pete.

I wonder if Pete has some similar title, like Mighty Gryphon. Or if the other two secretly have mundane names as well, like Suzy and Bill or something.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Based on how the game was introduced, I think Great Kitsune's "true" form is the hand-waving sci-fi/fantasy thing where he couldn't show them his true form even if he wanted because mortal minds can't comprehend it, so he takes other forms mortals would recognize.
NHWestoN wrote:Of course there's a curse for touching the tails! First you touch, then you stroke, then you pull! Do you have any idea how much it costs to get all these tails sculpted, shampooed, and set?
Kitsune said "tug", not "touch". No slippery-slope fallacy needed to justify his stance.

It could be construed to mean he won't fix their curse if one tugs his tails, though I don't think he meant it like that.
ZAR22 wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:We HAVE seen Dragon in other forms. If you recall she took a few different shapes (like the Human Peanut dance battled) in the Gallifrax story.
No, that wasn't her, that was some avatars she has, and she has been using to spy on them. Notice the green eyes, and how they were with tarot, and the fact they get her tattoos on them, so there is also that to consider, because tarot also shows tattoos of some sort when using her powers as that monster.

So I say we haven't seen her in different forms, and I don't recall demi gods having 3 bodies at once to talk to people...
Demigods only have one avatar at a time (weird time junk notwithstanding), but Pete has demonstrated they have the ability to shape-shift into human form.
VeryAngryDeer wrote:
ZAR22 wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:
So did I.
That's because he is a dude. It was made clear by the title text of Problem Soliva: "He should have sprung for the acid-proof elaborate, well-lit glass display case". I'm at a loss for why NHWestoN is repeatedly spreading misinformation.
jonas wrote:Y'know, I can't help but wonder. Spirit Dragon, Great Kitsune...Pete.

I wonder if Pete has some similar title, like Mighty Gryphon. Or if the other two secretly have mundane names as well, like Suzy and Bill or something.
Pete does have a name, but good luck pronouncing circle backwards gamma theta square fish hook.
The cape comes with the promotion.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Champion Wallace wrote:
VeryAngryDeer wrote:
ZAR22 wrote:Eudoant is a she? Thought it was a dude....
So did I.
That's because he is a dude. It was made clear by the title text of Problem Soliva: "He should have sprung for the acid-proof elaborate, well-lit glass display case". I'm at a loss for why NHWestoN is repeatedly spreading misinformation.
Cheers
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

:oops:
VeryAngryDeer wrote:
ZAR22 wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:
So did I.

Eudoant is male. For some deep-seated derangement, I have it in my subconscious that Eudoant is female. My'pologies. :oops:
Robotech_Master

Post by Robotech_Master »

And in one fell swoop, Lois is convinced forevermore of the existence of supernatural powers.

Now if we can get to Monday and some actual explanations...
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Robotech_Master wrote:And in one fell swoop, Lois is convinced forevermore of the existence of supernatural powers.

Now if we can get to Monday and some actual explanations...
...That might take a while (two days to be exact).
tych

Post by tych »

I am assuming the last panel is kitsune's work form
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm just thinking that the panel is just Kitsune trying to put on a show and impress Lois so much she goes into shock for sheer excitement and trying to see how much he can freak Marion out without making his heart stop. LOL
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I imagine that the curse from tugging the tails is a reference to the Pokémon, Ninetails. Its Pokedex entries state the curse often, and was even a plot point in the first set of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. Of course I don't know if this feature is existent in actual mythology. Kitsune has a very similar color scheme, too.

As for Weston believing Eudoant to be a female, well the guy has a major hourglass figure. :lol:
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

D-Rock wrote:I imagine that the curse from tugging the tails is a reference to the Pokémon, Ninetails. Its Pokedex entries state the curse often, and was even a plot point in the first set of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. Of course I don't know if this feature is existent in actual mythology. Kitsune has a very similar color scheme, too.
Huh. I played Pokemon Mystery Dungeon on the Gameboy Advance about a decade ago, and I remember Ninetails being the one that turned the player into a pokemon... but I never put it together that it might have anything to do with its pokedex entry. I thought it was just that that specific Ninetails had special powers.

TIL.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:He has no 'friends'. He only has people he likes enough not to consider them enemies.
I can't see Kitsune having enemies. He has friends he's teaching important life lessons, and friends who don't need them. Yet.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Macsen wrote:Now I have seeing a dynamic between Marion and Lois similar to Maxwell and Grape.
You too, huh? Started noticing this right around the time Lois became a bobcat. =P

- girlfriend takes things in strides. boyfriend freaks out in any changes.
- Wants to get to the bottom of a crazy conspiracy/sticking up to the little guy
- boyfriend feels inadequate
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Argent

Post by Argent »

"Can I hug your... um... toe?"
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

Argent wrote:"Can I hug your... um... toe?"
I would say the same thing too
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Here's something interesting about kitsunes and more specifically about this "true form" It might just be an illusion and not even a form at all. Kitsunes are known for creating such illusions.
Argent wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:He has no 'friends'. He only has people he likes enough not to consider them enemies.
I can't see Kitsune having enemies. He has friends he's teaching important life lessons, and friends who don't need them. Yet.
I actually do think Kitsune has enemies, I count Pete as one, but more to the point there is an entire realm of demons that chances are are enemies of the celestials for the sole reason that they are of Heaven. I can totally see Kitsune having a rival somewhere but we haven't seen it yet. Tanuki are natural enemies of kitsune by nature and there is the nogitsune which is the bad type of kitsune.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Now I am quite intrigued about their being an evil version of Kitsune in the comic that is the nogitsune. I do want to see what it would be like if he showed up in the comic. But at the same time I'm terrified because if he is as powerful and omnipresent as Kitsune but an evil version I'm afraid of what he might do. :?
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Now I am quite intrigued about their being an evil version of Kitsune in the comic that is the nogitsune. I do want to see what it would be like if he showed up in the comic. But at the same time I'm terrified because if he is as powerful and omnipresent as Kitsune but an evil version I'm afraid of what he might do. :?
maybe thats who transformed Marion and Lois
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That could be one explanation. I honestly didn't think of that! I guess we will have to see.