2019/12/02 - Visiting Day

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
dr_eirik

Re: 2019/12/02 - Visiting Day

Post by dr_eirik »

trekkie wrote:Well, King is out of here. On a side note I loves how calm he is about seeing a bobcat, then again he does live with wolves and know a puma so maybe he just takes it in stride. I hope that Kitsune can help Marion and Lois in some fashion.

i think he's calm about it since the bobcat is in the company of at least three different potential prey animals and none of them are reacting badly. An especially with Marion and Keene there, he reasonably must think that it is ECP business.

I'm not of the opinion that Kitsune is going to help in a direct way. Either he can't, or won't, simply turn them back. I think he'll drop a hint or two. He might even tell them why they changed in the first place.

It would be funny, in an odd way, if Kitsune did this to them for the greater good. It wouldn't really be in character, but somehow he needed these two in these forms for some reason that we won't know for some time. ..

Marion: What do you mean that you did this to us? Why?!
Lois: What did we do to you?
Kitsune: It's not like that. Ask King, I'm not malicious, but I always have my reason.
Marion: Then why? What can we do?
Kitsune: <Smile fades> I needed you two. Well, no you two specifically, but I needed two animals with a human perspective. And frankly, you two were not going to lose anything.
Lois: What does that mean?
Kitsune: <Looks at Marion> Did you ever get that tire fixed? The one you noticed was balding last month? The one that you were going to take care of before graduation?
Marion: Well, no. With finals coming up and... wait a minute. Are you saying....?
Lois: <Slaps Marion moderately across the back of his head> This is YOUR fault!!
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah King just try to run away and get as far as possible with the family. Kitsune will just show back up again like always but in a pose that will make you lose whatever innocence you had left. :mrgreen:
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

How many times has King tried to get rid of the statue? "he tried dumping the statue elsewhere...and the plaque changed to 'can't get rid of me that easily'" implies singular, but "...keeps mysteriously reappearing, usually in a slightly more provocative pose..." implies plural.
Cesco wrote:Ah, yeah, they went at Milton's manor, where King and his family are living.
They are not at the Milton's manor because that is not where King and his family are living. Miles rented a house that's just a normal suburban home (aside from the residents).
The cape comes with the promotion.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

OK, strange out of no where thought. King says "See you in a month." Anyone want to speculate that he's going to next appear in the Christmas strip? 8-)
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

CunningFox wrote:I guess we know who King's favourite child is.
We don't see Ace or Rook as often, now that you mention it......
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:
I noticed that a while back. Wonder if Olive is just more interesting to draw. I think she is the only one to have spoken so far.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

dr_eirik wrote:It would be funny, in an odd way, if Kitsune did this to them for the greater good. It wouldn't really be in character, but somehow he needed these two in these forms for some reason that we won't know for some time. ..

Kitsune: It's not like that. Ask King, I'm not malicious, but I always have my reason.
Kitsune: <Smile fades> I needed you two. Well, no you two specifically, but I needed two animals with a human perspective. And frankly, you two were not going to lose anything.
Kitsune: <Looks at Marion> Did you ever get that tire fixed? The one you noticed was balding last month? The one that you were going to take care of before graduation?
Marion: Well, no. With finals coming up and... wait a minute. Are you saying....?
Lois: <Slaps Marion moderately across the back of his head> This is YOUR fault!!
The idea that Marion & Lois as humans were destined to kick the bucket before getting turned into animals would be really neat. It would be even more interesting if such a thing would require them to stay animals, as if they were ever reverted back to their human form, the universe would conspire to see them pushing up daisies as was planned.

Kitsune: If I changed you back, the universe would see to fixing what it sees as “plot holes”.
Lois: Like that “Final Destination” movie from way back when?
Kitsune: Sort of, but instead of hilariously contrived and inventive you’d just be given something swift, mundane, and tragic.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If that was the case then it would be pretty tragic and maybe too much for the comic that they have to stay as animals forever. Nobody can cheat death and this is just a loophole. Plus you know eventually their families would disown them just like what happened in "The Metamorphosis".
averagedog

Post by averagedog »

I don't know what happened during the past 3 to 4 years of my life that made me forget about this gem of a comic, but I am glad I binged to catch up over the past week. The current story Arc finally convinced me to create an account. I am a sucker for Transformations with actual consequences. Anyways, Here is my Theory.

Thomas cursed the Steward when he "gave" him the coin. The transformation went "poof." We also know that the former Steward still has the coin and likes tossing it up and down like the pokemon trainers in pokemon sword and shield itching to battle you. So, What if this is the Steward's doing? it has been established from a narrative standpoint that the coin is still considered part of the cursed treasure by Thomas and Keane. The predicted/assumed consequences of forcing immediate change on human society to accept an "equalized" human/animal society has been brought up several times before and has been acknowledged by several characters.

The former Steward is possibly tapping humans with the coin to stress the ECP and to try to destroy Milton's legacy and discredit Keane and the rest of the ferret Miltons. Even though they talked about adding more non carnivores to the ECP program, Lois's change could serve as "proof" that the former Steward cannot actually control the changes. The sex swapping factor needs a greater sample size, but I am assuming that the curse is either randomized entirely in the animal/sex department or it is supposed to reflect Pete's vindictive nature when he set up the curse in the first place.

As for how Kitsune factors into this. Well, even though the game is over, Kitsune is now acting as a sort of Janitor to clean up the leftovers of Pete vs the Dragon. This is evidenced by the previous major arc involving the Game where Kitsune inserted himself into Joey's group and kept an eye on things even though things turned out relatively ok all things considered. In the upcoming talk between himself vs Lois, Marion, Kean/Breel and the K9 force (King essentially did the "aight, I'm gunna head out" meme) there are two broad possibilities. One in which he says something cryptic that ultimately points the group towards the former Steward as the culprit or one in which will go against my theory involving the former steward but instead go in an entirely new direction or bring things back to Pete and the Dragon somehow. Ok, that is three things. But either way, Pete and the Dragon are going to factor into this somehow either as small as a gag or possibly more.
Not that
Either way, this comic has been building towards this point at a seemingly faster and faster rate each year.

Man, years ago when Pete was first brought to Heaven for Justice, I remember thinking that the further introduction and entanglement of cosmic forces would ruin the comic for me. I am happy to be proven wrong. Not that Rick Griffon has anything to prove, but I love stories and characters that have consistency even as they grow and change over time.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

I just had a funny thought. Imagine Marion having to explain why he bunked off school, and telling people that he went to see a camel that used to be human.

Now imagine crowds of people outside the camel enclosure all yelling "Thomas!" while Thomas Milton cringes away in horror and annoyance.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Speaking of ECP members and their accommodations, where are Gale and Pueblo living?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

VeryAngryDeer wrote:I just had a funny thought. Imagine Marion having to explain why he bunked off school, and telling people that he went to see a camel that used to be human.

Now imagine crowds of people outside the camel enclosure all yelling "Thomas!" while Thomas Milton cringes away in horror and annoyance.
I love it.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

CunningFox wrote:Speaking of ECP members and their accommodations, where are Gale and Pueblo living?

The last time we saw her was at the end of Call of the Wild and it seemed like she and Pueblo were living in the Wolf house, but it wasn't clear. Miles just arrives at her office door and comes in, not at a front door. It did seem like there was some seperation, From the conversation it sounded like she and Miles hadn't talked in a while. Perhaps she's living at the Miltons? Or she made enough money already that she was on her own.
tych

Post by tych »

trekkie wrote:Well, King is out of here. On a side note I loves how calm he is about seeing a bobcat, then again he does live with wolves and know a puma so maybe he just takes it in stride. I hope that Kitsune can help Marion and Lois in some fashion.
I wouldn't hold my breath or get my hopes up at worse he might make them the same species at best he might correct the gender snafu
tych

Post by tych »

dr_eirik wrote: I'm not of the opinion that Kitsune is going to help in a direct way. Either he can't, or won't, simply turn them back. I think he'll drop a hint or two. He might even tell them why they changed in the first place.

It would be funny, in an odd way, if Kitsune did this to them for the greater good. It wouldn't really be in character, but somehow he needed these two in these forms for some reason that we won't know for some time. ..

It would not surprise me if that is indeed the reason for them becoming animals.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

dr_eirik wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:
I noticed that a while back. Wonder if Olive is just more interesting to draw. I think she is the only one to have spoken so far.
I think its because she looks the most like a cross between King and Bailey.
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

dr_eirik wrote:Kitsune: <Smile fades> I needed you two. Well, no you two specifically, but I needed two animals with a human perspective. And frankly, you two were not going to lose anything.
This sounds kind of like "Freejack" but with animals and mythical beings instead of rich businessmen with a habit for hiring Mick Jagger.
VeryAngryDeer wrote:I just had a funny thought. Imagine Marion having to explain why he bunked off school, and telling people that he went to see a camel that used to be human.
That would be hilarious especially if Thomas got any monetary benefit from becoming a big draw. He could finally be rich...but have nothing to spend it on since he's still a camel.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Elwood Blutarsky wrote:
That would be hilarious especially if Thomas got any monetary benefit from becoming a big draw. He could finally be rich...but have nothing to spend it on since he's still a camel.
He could finally buy a coffee maker. Then they can be camel and have coffee.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Yeah King just try to run away and get as far as possible with the family. Kitsune will just show back up again like always but in a pose that will make you lose whatever innocence you had left. :mrgreen:

Don't take it for granted, Kingie. The kids won't be portable forever.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Yeah King just try to run away and get as far as possible with the family. Kitsune will just show back up again like always but in a pose that will make you lose whatever innocence you had left. :mrgreen:

They're half Pembroke Corgi. They'll be somewhat portable for the rest of their lives. 8-)

I keep looking at Bailey in that third panel. She is not even slightly surprised to see Kitsune. I realize that it's hard to rattle her, but I suspect she gets visits from him far more than King does.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:

They're half Pembroke Corgi. They'll be somewhat portable for the rest of their lives. 8-)

I keep looking at Bailey in that third panel. She is not even slightly surprised to see Kitsune. I realize that it's hard to rattle her, but I suspect she gets visits from him far more than King does.
Oh, yeah. Like with Peanut, I think Bailey and Kitsune are kinda pals. She did even suggest having ol'nine-tails baby-sit the pups which sent King into near apoplexy.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm pretty sure King has nightmares about what will happen if Kitsune ever did get the chance to babysit his children. :D
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm pretty sure King has nightmares about what will happen if Kitsune ever did get the chance to babysit his children. :D
On some other thread a while back, someone posted a snippet of the pups rushing up to King and describing the adventure Kitsune had taken them on while pup sitting. Once King passes out, I think Bailey asked if he had really done that and he just responds, "Naw, I told them to say that. I took them to the zoo."

Wish I could say I had that idea.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I actually would want to see that happen in the comic.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:If that was the case then it would be pretty tragic and maybe too much for the comic that they have to stay as animals forever. Nobody can cheat death and this is just a loophole. Plus you know eventually their families would disown them just like what happened in "The Metamorphosis".
It's not the most grim or tragic thing that could happen. They have a wider support structure than King did. And if I recall, King's parents weren't necessarily the best of people.

And Marion & Lois' parents disowning them isn't a given. Marion's mom reacted in shock, yes, but that shock could've worn off. It'd be neat to see what his dad thinks. It'd be funny if Lois confronts her parents and something like this happens.

[In Lois' family's house, Keene, King, and Fox are there with her parents, briefing them on what happened. Lois is about to walk into the room from the hallway.]
Lois: Promise not to freak out, okay?
[Lois comes into the room, looking down at the floor, slightly nervous.]
Dad: Oh, honey...
Mom: You look...
[The bobcat picks her head up and looks over at her parents.]
Lois: Ye- GAH!!
[Lois recoils at their reaction, which is ecstatically happy, like this.]
Mom & Dad: Awesome!
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Ash Greytree wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:If that was the case then it would be pretty tragic and maybe too much for the comic that they have to stay as animals forever. Nobody can cheat death and this is just a loophole. Plus you know eventually their families would disown them just like what happened in "The Metamorphosis".
It's not the most grim or tragic thing that could happen. They have a wider support structure than King did. And if I recall, King's parents weren't necessarily the best of people.

And Marion & Lois' parents disowning them isn't a given. Marion's mom reacted in shock, yes, but that shock could've worn off. It'd be neat to see what his dad thinks. It'd be funny if Lois confronts her parents and something like this happens.

[In Lois' family's house, Keene, King, and Fox are there with her parents, briefing them on what happened. Lois is about to walk into the room from the hallway.]
Lois: Promise not to freak out, okay?
[Lois comes into the room, looking down at the floor, slightly nervous.]
Dad: Oh, honey...
Mom: You look...
[The bobcat picks her head up and looks over at her parents.]
Lois: Ye- GAH!!
[Lois recoils at their reaction, which is ecstatically happy, like this.]
Mom & Dad: Awesome!
That would be a interesting reaction from parents!
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City