2019/11/20 - The New Model

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Sir Chestnut

Re: 2019/11/20 - The New Model

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Keene's had this coming for a long time. Too bad Sabrina's not watching nearby with some popcorn.

Can't wait to see Breel's reaction. :lol:
Robotech_Master

Post by Robotech_Master »

Going by the dialogue and the alt tag, apparently Keene was aware Marion had a human girlfriend who wore a bandanna and glasses…and was under the impression he'd dumped said human for a bobcat with a bandanna and glasses (for which he "had a thing"). Not terribly quick on the uptake, our Keene…though to be fair, he was just tackled by a bobcat so apparently isn't thinking terribly clearly.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Sir Chestnut wrote:Keene's had this coming for a long time. Too bad Sabrina's not watching nearby with some popcorn.

I think he'll likely either be upset or worried. Though I think it would be hilarious if he's trying to play the good host. He may be stuck in "Heaven" mode, where he hasn't remembered that being an animal can be dangerous.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

For Kicks and giggles, lets play a game. Let's assume that the villain will spontaneously show up and reveal their master plan. How would that go?
Let's say it is Bronson.
Bronson: You should release the ferret, Lois. Killing him wouldn't be very appropriate now would it?
Lois: Bronson?! What are you doing here?
Bronson: Come now, Lois. I thought someone like you could figure that out by now. I followed you here from the zoo. I wondered how you would react after your little change. To think you would succumb to violence so easily. You really should get those carnivore instincts in check before you hurt someone.
Lois: No, it can't be. It was you.
Marion: What? Bronson. He couldn't have. It's Bronson.
Bronson: Oh, Marion. It always the one you least expect. Yes. I did it both times.
Keene: Um, I'm sorry but can I get up now?
Marion: How? Why would you do this to us?
Bronson: Because you were in the way from me and Lois's happy ever after.
Lois: You turned Marion into a squirrel and me into a bobcat because I wouldn't date you?
Bronson: That's exactly why! I've asked you out so many times but each time you always rejected me. You laughed in my face! I thought that if Marion was out of the way then I would have a shot. But I couldn't just kill him. So I found a ritual written on scroll in the woods. Poof, Marion is a squirrel. But even then it wasn't enough. Despite everything you too were still together. I followed you from the school to the zoo. Marion started asking questions and you were helping. So I did it again. Now you have no choice. I'm the only one who can accept you now, Lois.
Lois: Bronson, you better change us back right now or Keene won't be the only scrawny weasel I throttle.
Bronson: You think threats will work? Place one finger on me and Animal Control will haul you so far that you will never see civilization again.
Keene: I'm sorry to interrupt this weird confession in my kitchen but can you all leave my house before someone, namely me, gets hurt anymore.
Bronson: Tell me Mr. Milton. Will all that money you have protect you from my foot when I kick you across the house? Then stay out of this. Your lucky your still useful to me or I would have let Lois squeeze the last bit of life out of your pathetic little life.
Marion: That's enough Bronson. Leave Keene out of this. All he's done is try to help us and fix what you did.
Bronson: That's why I'm letting them both live.
Lois: You really have lost your mind or what little you had.
Bronson: Oh, Lois. We're are so far down the rabbit hole now. This was only the beginning. Since I first changed Marion, I've learned quite a lot about this neighborhood and the animals. You weren't the only one who talked to Thomas Milton either.
Keene: Whatever Thomas told you, is a lie. He's a criminal and a thief.
Bronson: And what does that make you? He told me a lot. He also told me about a little badger in the woods who was more than helpful. I met some other interesting characters there who were more than helpful after I gave them some them initiative. Two little fox cubs with some wild tales.
Marion: What did you do?
Bronson: Nothing too bad. For former gods they were quite wimpy and pathetic. They told me about a source of unlimited power. Once I have it. No one will underestimate or reject me.
Lois: Why tell us this?
Marion: Are you going to kill us now?
Bronson: This of this as a declaration of war. Lets see what a group of animals can do against the human race.

Yeah, I had way too much fun with this.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Robotech_Master

dr_eirik wrote:
Sir Chestnut wrote:Keene's had this coming for a long time. Too bad Sabrina's not watching nearby with some popcorn.

I think he'll likely either be upset or worried. Though I think it would be hilarious if he's trying to play the good host. He may be stuck in "Heaven" mode, where he hasn't remembered that being an animal can be dangerous.
Even odds he'll just think they're playing and admonish them not to be so rough.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Robotech_Master wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:

Even odds he'll just think they're playing and admonish them not to be so rough.

...or Keene pays them off to keep quiet, Skip the Hawk carries off Marion, and Poncho and Lois become sweethearts.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Okay, so, with My Life As A Teenage Squirrel ending on Christmas, with what Rick says on his Twitter is a time skip to Christmas, here are my main questions that I have and am really hoping to get happy answers to at the end of the arc. This all assumes that Marion & Lois will be stuck as animals for the foreseeable future:

-What will their status-quo, their day-to-day routine be? We'll be skipping ahead about half a year. If Rick wrote the ending to be less abrupt, then I hope to see at least see some of those six months in a montage of panels. Or the time skip could be more "meaty", a series of strips that skip ahead a few weeks or a couple months each time to show what Marion & Lois have been doing and how they're progressing in adjusting to their new circumstances and ending on a skip to Christmas, and that leads into my other question:

-Will they be accepted by some members of the current recurring cast as friends? This is something that I really hope happens, and we at least get to see some of during a montage or in these coming strips. Marion & Lois hanging out at a big holiday party at the The Wolf household, exchanging gifts and having it shown that they become friends with more of the Babylon Garden animals, would be awesome, but again I'd like to see how they become friends with some of them and who they are.

So yeah: 1.) Will Marion & Lois be leading generally happy, stable lives while a cure for their animal state is being looked for, 2.) Will those lives also involve them having healthy interpersonal relationships with other animals in Babylon Gardens, and 3.) Will we get any interactions, scenes, montages, or what-have-you to show a bit of how they accomplished 1 and 2?
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Ash Greytree wrote:Okay, so, with My Life As A Teenage Squirrel ending on Christmas, with what Rick says on his Twitter is a time skip to Christmas, here are my main questions that I have and am really hoping to get happy answers to at the end of the arc. This all assumes that Marion & Lois will be stuck as animals for the foreseeable future:

-What will their status-quo, their day-to-day routine be? We'll be skipping ahead about half a year. If Rick wrote the ending to be less abrupt, then I hope to see at least see some of those six months in a montage of panels. Or the time skip could be more "meaty", a series of strips that skip ahead a few weeks or a couple months each time to show what Marion & Lois have been doing and how they're progressing in adjusting to their new circumstances and ending on a skip to Christmas, and that leads into my other question:

-Will they be accepted by some members of the current recurring cast as friends? This is something that I really hope happens, and we at least get to see some of during a montage or in these coming strips. Marion & Lois hanging out at a big holiday party at the The Wolf household, exchanging gifts and having it shown that they become friends with more of the Babylon Garden animals, would be awesome, but again I'd like to see how they become friends with some of them and who they are.
Don't really see that happening for several reasons. One being that unlike King they have families already and everyone including the pets would know they are really human trapped in animal bodies. So....Awkward. Second, because they are human there is still this "divide' between the pets and humans which creates an barrier that is going to be hard to transcend especially if they strive to stay more in the human world versus the animal one. Third, even animals like the wolves themselves keep their distance and rarely interact with the other animals on a day-to-day basis. It would be especially harder now as they too strive to be more apart of the human world. Fourth, old prejudices and mind-sets such as the fact that humans really don't get too chummy with pets and other animals would be hard to get over even after six months. Fifth, Marion and Lois aren't even the proper species for any real close interaction. Marion especially is prey to most and Lois might be seen as too threatening.
Ash Greytree wrote:So yeah: 1.) Will Marion & Lois be leading generally happy, stable lives while a cure for their animal state is being looked for, 2.) Will those lives also involve them having healthy interpersonal relationships with other animals in Babylon Gardens, and 3.) Will we get any interactions, scenes, montages, or what-have-you to show a bit of how they accomplished 1 and 2?
1) Most likely
2) Probably not
3) Eh, we'll see what happens.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am kind of hoping that once Marion and Lois become human again they can become recurring characters but I have a feeling Fen is right. Since the comic is named "Housepets!", it will probably go back to focusing on the animals in Babylon Gardens and I don't think we will see Marion and Lois again for a while. If ever.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

fenrirblack wrote:Don't really see that happening for several reasons. One being that unlike King they have families already and everyone including the pets would know they are really human trapped in animal bodies. So....Awkward. Second, because they are human there is still this "divide' between the pets and humans which creates an barrier that is going to be hard to transcend especially if they strive to stay more in the human world versus the animal one. Third, even animals like the wolves themselves keep their distance and rarely interact with the other animals on a day-to-day basis. It would be especially harder now as they too strive to be more apart of the human world. Fourth, old prejudices and mind-sets such as the fact that humans really don't get too chummy with pets and other animals would be hard to get over even after six months. Fifth, Marion and Lois aren't even the proper species for any real close interaction. Marion especially is prey to most and Lois might be seen as too threatening.
The status-quo seems to be in the midst of changing, though. Now that humans and animals know that there’s some way for human-to-animal transformations to happen, attitudes amongst both parties may shift. On the human side, Marion & Lois’ family might be ok with the two spending more time with animals if need be after they graduate/get GEDs/whatever happens and they’re free from the pressures of high school.

Regarding animals, the members of the ECP will be around the neighborhood to assist them and provide advice on various things. Outside of the ECP, Sabrina and Tarot may take particular fascination with Marion and Lois in search of a cause and cure for their predicament. Sabrina and Tarot could serve as a wider avenue for M&L to become friends with the non-ECP animals.

With regards to Marion being prey and Lois being a more threatening predator: I don’t think that’d be too big of an obstacle, personally. They could be the mold-breakers who add more species diversity to the cast at large and help break down the anti-friendship stigmas between humans and animals.

Like... if it turns out that Marion & Lois get put on a bus at the end of this arc and all we see of them at the Christmas timeskip is a holiday postcard they send to King or Fox that tells them how they’re doing and adjusting, that’d be pretty underwhelming. Especially so with how we’ve had what seems to be a big character development point with Marion’s feelings like he doesn’t belong anywhere anymore. If that’s all cleared up with some narration from him like “And over the fall, I managed to find a place in college where people accepted me!” over a vignette of him next to some faceless humans...
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Cody

Post by Cody »

I'm honestly hoping that there is no cure for whatever changed them so that they can be recurring characters. I just adore both of them too much to see them go! :cry:

I'm sure they'd be able to make friends with some of the animals in BG. King being one of them, and perhaps the most likely candidate, seeing as they can all relate; perhaps after this whole skirmish with Keene & Co, they too can become friends--or least acquaintances, depending on Keene's actual involvement in their transformation.

Ash Greytree wrote:So yeah: 1.) Will Marion & Lois be leading generally happy, stable lives while a cure for their animal state is being looked for, 2.) Will those lives also involve them having healthy interpersonal relationships with other animals in Babylon Gardens, and 3.) Will we get any interactions, scenes, montages, or what-have-you to show a bit of how they accomplished 1 and 2?

1) Probably!
2) I hope so~
3) Considering the arc ends on Christmas, probably not--although I would welcome it!
I'm caught in a life and I can't get out
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

We've seen at least one example (Res) of the potential for characters to transform if not at will, then at least without interferencefrom a deity or curse. One neat solution would be that the means of fixing Marion and Lois' problem doesn't lock them back as humans, but allows them to switch between forms (whether they can control it or not is a matter for what fits the narrative or what is funniest, depending on which is more important.)

This would allow them to continue interacting with the cast as animals even after they've been returned to human form.

On a separate note... perhaps its time for the ferrets to hire a private investigator (or a team of them) to look for what caused Marion and Lois' transformations. They've got the money for it, and the K9PD has other things to do. After all, there probably isn't a law against transforming people. What would they charge the culprit with?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Christmas scene: Everyone's settled down, except for Marian threatening Grape for making eyes at Louis.

Edit: new theory... those bracelets have a teeny bit of magic gold in them that takes a while to work. Marion was affected first because he had been wearing it more.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

fenrirblack wrote:For Kicks and giggles, lets play a game. Let's assume that the villain will spontaneously show up and reveal their master plan. How would that go?
Let's say it is Bronson.
Bronson: You should release the ferret, Lois. Killing him wouldn't be very appropriate now would it?
Lois: Bronson?! What are you doing here?
Bronson: Come now, Lois. I thought someone like you could figure that out by now. I followed you here from the zoo. I wondered how you would react after your little change. To think you would succumb to violence so easily. You really should get those carnivore instincts in check before you hurt someone.
Lois: No, it can't be. It was you.
Marion: What? Bronson. He couldn't have. It's Bronson.
Bronson: Oh, Marion. It always the one you least expect. Yes. I did it both times.
Keene: Um, I'm sorry but can I get up now?
Marion: How? Why would you do this to us?
Bronson: Because you were in the way from me and Lois's happy ever after.
Lois: You turned Marion into a squirrel and me into a bobcat because I wouldn't date you?
Bronson: That's exactly why! I've asked you out so many times but each time you always rejected me. You laughed in my face! I thought that if Marion was out of the way then I would have a shot. But I couldn't just kill him. So I found a ritual written on scroll in the woods. Poof, Marion is a squirrel. But even then it wasn't enough. Despite everything you too were still together. I followed you from the school to the zoo. Marion started asking questions and you were helping. So I did it again. Now you have no choice. I'm the only one who can accept you now, Lois.
Lois: Bronson, you better change us back right now or Keene won't be the only scrawny weasel I throttle.
Bronson: You think threats will work? Place one finger on me and Animal Control will haul you so far that you will never see civilization again.
Keene: I'm sorry to interrupt this weird confession in my kitchen but can you all leave my house before someone, namely me, gets hurt anymore.
Bronson: Tell me Mr. Milton. Will all that money you have protect you from my foot when I kick you across the house? Then stay out of this. Your lucky your still useful to me or I would have let Lois squeeze the last bit of life out of your pathetic little life.
Marion: That's enough Bronson. Leave Keene out of this. All he's done is try to help us and fix what you did.
Bronson: That's why I'm letting them both live.
Lois: You really have lost your mind or what little you had.
Bronson: Oh, Lois. We're are so far down the rabbit hole now. This was only the beginning. Since I first changed Marion, I've learned quite a lot about this neighborhood and the animals. You weren't the only one who talked to Thomas Milton either.
Keene: Whatever Thomas told you, is a lie. He's a criminal and a thief.
Bronson: And what does that make you? He told me a lot. He also told me about a little badger in the woods who was more than helpful. I met some other interesting characters there who were more than helpful after I gave them some them initiative. Two little fox cubs with some wild tales.
Marion: What did you do?
Bronson: Nothing too bad. For former gods they were quite wimpy and pathetic. They told me about a source of unlimited power. Once I have it. No one will underestimate or reject me.
Lois: Why tell us this?
Marion: Are you going to kill us now?
Bronson: This of this as a declaration of war. Lets see what a group of animals can do against the human race.

Yeah, I had way too much fun with this.
Breel: Oh, more company!
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

fenrirblack wrote:For Kicks and giggles, lets play a game. Let's assume that the villain will spontaneously show up and reveal their master plan. How would that go?
Let's say it is Bronson.
You are giving Bronson waaaaaaaay too much credit.
Robotech_Master

Whatever happens, I think the ECP is going to need to sign Lois up for some anger management classes. Perhaps she can get tips on that from Gale.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

If they get changed back I really don't see Marion and Lois sticking around much either unless there's something in the resolution of the arc that drags them into something deeper. I'm sure they'll still pop up every now in then much in the same way Bill and Jeff pop up occasionally.

The only other thing I can see is if Marion and/or Lois becomes the owner of one of King's pups way down the line or something like that. But that's a whole other kettle of fish.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Robotech_Master wrote:Whatever happens, I think the ECP is going to need to sign Lois up for some anger management classes. Perhaps she can get tips on that from Gale.
I'm not sure Gale has gone though that. She seems to be relying on Pueblo to keep her in line.

It is a bit funny how she approached Keene. She was the "adult" in the room, it remains to be seen why she went straight to murderous threats.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Nobody wrote:
Let's say it is Bronson.
You are giving Bronson waaaaaaaay too much credit.
Oh it’s funny to pretend.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Robotech_Master wrote:Whatever happens, I think the ECP is going to need to sign Lois up for some anger management classes. Perhaps she can get tips on that from Gale.
Having your boy friend and then yourself changed involuntarily into a creature you'd rather not be by people you don't know suggests that an appropriate anger management class would be … mayhem! Keene's lucky he isn't being dismembered.
Robotech_Master

NHWestoN wrote:
Having your boy friend and then yourself changed involuntarily into a creature you'd rather not be by people you don't know suggests that an appropriate anger management class would be … mayhem! Keene's lucky he isn't being dismembered.
Yeah, but they don't actually know for sure that Keene has anything to do with it. You'd think they'd kind of want to ask questions first, strangle later. As Eirik points out, Lois's sudden fury seems distinctly peculiar from someone who had previously been expressing the intention to "be the adult in the room." Even given Lois's previously demonstrated predilection for violence.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm going with becoming a bobcat has resulted in her feeling stronger emotions and she feels anger at this very moment because of what happened.

Also, Thomas told Marion everything that happened was down to Keene and while he wasn't planning on telling her that, he probably did when he saw that Lois was now a bobcat.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Robotech_Master wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:
Yeah, but they don't actually know for sure that Keene has anything to do with it. You'd think they'd kind of want to ask questions first, strangle later. As Eirik points out, Lois's sudden fury seems distinctly peculiar from someone who had previously been expressing the intention to "be the adult in the room." Even given Lois's previously demonstrated predilection for violence.
it's not unknown for emotions to overcome intentions. As Keene should know. ;)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Hey, Rick - incase you never heard, but these are the best expressions on Keene. x3

I just think it's funny the best ones of him are of him panicking, being terrified and being choked on @_@
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I should note that I love Marion’s pose on Lois’s shoulder/back.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I also really like the pose and look. Its the right combination of smug and cocky, without being too much.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'm only seeing anger and indignation in his face.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Sir Chestnut wrote:The only other thing I can see is if Marion and/or Lois becomes the owner of one of King's pups way down the line or something like that. But that's a whole other kettle of fish.
This gave me some food for thought. At first, I was thinking "but King is in the ECP, whose whole point is for its members to behave and be treated like humans, why would he give his children away to be owned?" Then I thought about how a lot of pets, Fox for instance, like being pets. His kids might choose to do it voluntarily, rather than join the ECP themselves.

They might even do it to be rebellious. Each generation reacts to the culture of the last.

King: "Come on Olive, why would you do this? I want you to have the same rights and opportunities as humans!"
Olive: "Shut up boomer"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I really don't think that King would take too kindly to being told to shut up and being disrespected like that.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

I think this is going to be one of my all-time favourite strips. Every panel is drawn brilliantly.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

VeryAngryDeer wrote:
Sir Chestnut wrote:The only other thing I can see is if Marion and/or Lois becomes the owner of one of King's pups way down the line or something like that. But that's a whole other kettle of fish.
This gave me some food for thought. At first, I was thinking "but King is in the ECP, whose whole point is for its members to behave and be treated like humans, why would he give his children away to be owned?" Then I thought about how a lot of pets, Fox for instance, like being pets. His kids might choose to do it voluntarily, rather than join the ECP themselves.

They might even do it to be rebellious. Each generation reacts to the culture of the last.

King: "Come on Olive, why would you do this? I want you to have the same rights and opportunities as humans!"
Somewhere in the Celestial realm, your parents are smiling, Joel....
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think that Joel was ever as disrespectful as Olive would be there.

Plus we don't even know if his father (and the pup's grandfather) is actually dead.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I don't think that Joel was ever as disrespectful as Olive would be there.

Plus we don't even know if his father (and the pup's grandfather) is actually dead.
Well, Joel's relationship with his mother and father seems to have been pretty tumultuous, running away with his pets, meeting mom in heaven and all. Olive's purported comment to King seems out of character.

We're not gonna start that "OK, Boomer" stuff, are we? ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Honestly I'm way too young to know where that even comes from.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

NHWestoN wrote:Olive's purported comment to King seems out of character.

I was imagining Olive as a teenager at this point, at the age where she needs to decidewhat to do with her life, but when you're too young to actually know what you would be good at. Its out of character for Olive now, but would it be when she's older?

I was referencing the meme because I thought it would be funny. I don't actually endorse the use of dismissive statements that don't address any arguments made.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Honestly I'm way too young to know where that even comes from.
TODAY IN MEME HISTORY

Boomers and millenials have a strained relationship. Millenials consider boomers to be the causeof most of the currrent societal issues (economic trouble, unaffordable house prices, lack of open high-skill job positions, etc) while the boomers consider millenials to be whining entitled snowflake brats. How accurate these stereotypes are is not my concern for this talk.

Millenials are particularly annoyed by the dismissiveness with which they are treated by boomers, with the boomers responding to their expressions of concern usually by giving them advice that worked when they were young, but doesn't work now. "Can't find a job? Hit the pavement and walk into some offices", for instance. Job recruitment just doesn't work that way anymore. Or Can't pay for your tuition? Get a summer job" when cost of tuition has increased massively over inflation, meaning that a summer job won't put a dent in the money needed to go to university.

In response, some millenials thought it would be funny to be dismissive back, and created the phrases "okay boomer" and "shut up boomer". And I do agree, these are funny phrases, and the responses they can get from boomers are even funnier. But after the mainstream culture noticed this meme, and started using it, its purpose has shifted to dismissing the concerns and advice of boomers on the sole basis that they are boomers, regardless of what merit their points may have. This isnot only prejudicial, but disruptive to the principle of democracy whereby we talk out our problems instead of beating each other up to attain dominance. I have already seen examples of this applied to other situations, where a reasoned argument is dismissed with a statement that the person doesn't care about the opinions of whoever is arguing against them based on their identity.

This wraps up my TED talk, thankyou for listening.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

VeryAngryDeer wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:Olive's purported comment to King seems out of character.

I was imagining Olive as a teenager at this point, at the age where she needs to decidewhat to do with her life, but when you're too young to actually know what you would be good at. Its out of character for Olive now, but would it be when she's older?

I was referencing the meme because I thought it would be funny. I don't actually endorse the use of dismissive statements that don't address any arguments made.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Honestly I'm way too young to know where that even comes from.
TODAY IN MEME HISTORY

Boomers and millenials have a strained relationship. Millenials consider boomers to be the causeof most of the currrent societal issues (economic trouble, unaffordable house prices, lack of open high-skill job positions, etc) while the boomers consider millenials to be whining entitled snowflake brats. How accurate these stereotypes are is not my concern for this talk.

Millenials are particularly annoyed by the dismissiveness with which they are treated by boomers, with the boomers responding to their expressions of concern usually by giving them advice that worked when they were young, but doesn't work now. "Can't find a job? Hit the pavement and walk into some offices", for instance. Job recruitment just doesn't work that way anymore. Or Can't pay for your tuition? Get a summer job" when cost of tuition has increased massively over inflation, meaning that a summer job won't put a dent in the money needed to go to university.

In response, some millenials thought it would be funny to be dismissive back, and created the phrases "okay boomer" and "shut up boomer". And I do agree, these are funny phrases, and the responses they can get from boomers are even funnier. But after the mainstream culture noticed this meme, and started using it, its purpose has shifted to dismissing the concerns and advice of boomers on the sole basis that they are boomers, regardless of what merit their points may have. This isnot only prejudicial, but disruptive to the principle of democracy whereby we talk out our problems instead of beating each other up to attain dominance. I have already seen examples of this applied to other situations, where a reasoned argument is dismissed with a statement that the person doesn't care about the opinions of whoever is arguing against them based on their identity.

This wraps up my TED talk, thankyou for listening.
'Ppreciate it, deer. ;)
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

VeryAngryDeer wrote:

It's interesting that we haven't yet seen anything on any parent/child relationships for pets. Outside of King's family the only families we've seen have all been feral.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Actually, Sir Chestnut, I'm kinda not surprised. A number of us have kicked around ideas for puppy-centered stories, but Rick doesn't seem interested in going there. Same with Draig and Craig and Cassia's skunklets. So, if he's got littl'uns he doesn't work with now, not much point in adding to the broods.

It as W.C.Fields, wasn't it, who said "I never work on stage with kids or animals." Guess Rick's covered tha risk well enough. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe if the comic is still around in a few years we will seem them all when they are young teenagers.