2019/09/30 - Circle Of Life

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/09/30 - Circle Of Life

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/09/30 - Circle Of Life]
Title Text: AND IT MOOOVES US AAAAAAAALL

I mean, I've heard of worse plans.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2019/09/30 - Circle Of Life

Post by Saturn381 »

And now Marion has lost it. :lol:
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

I mean yeah global warming and climate change are going to eff us up and the other species are going to suffer the consequences first but is that really what this is all about Marion?
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Looks like somebody was the victim of a s(q)wirly.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Well, now he’s making plans
based off the hostility he feels,
no longer grounded in reality
but based upon remembered reels.
I doubt Lois can talk him down
and I doubt he’s sure how he got up.
The day has gotten worse and worse;
in the league of bad it won the cup.
It’ll get better, little chitterer,
you only need the one small break;
you’ve got to keep on struggling,
after all, it’s your life that’s at stake
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Whelp he's going crazy again.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Walk away Lois. Walk away. You're a good girlfriend but there are some things that aren't worth it.

I would like to put Illinois back on the table for "Where on Earth is Babylon Gardens?"

The rambling of a teenage outcast. Next thing you know he'll dye his fur and join a garage band and start listening to Fall Out Boy.

Lois puts up with too much.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

What gets me is the 'meet a boy squirrel' part. So has Marion accepted her? fate, or is it just the sopping wetness talking?

Lois only wants to help
She sees you’re feeling blue
She knows you’re feeling overwhelmed
But she doesn’t know what to do.

Run away, meet a boy squirrel,
Well, now the adventure’s afoot
You’re looking awfully angry, girl,
And in German, nicht gut.

You think you’re going to run away
And flee from the weight of life,
But Marion, there’s another way,
And you’re never fleeing strife.

I’m sorry you’ve had to go through this,
It really can’t be fun,
But I promise you’ll be stronger.
By the time it’s done.

Let me remind you, little one,
In your fall from grace,
Lois is still here right with you,
So don’t give up the chase!
Last edited by LunarFox on Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I think someone has a case of the Mondays. He looks like hes contemplating his life pretty seriously if he even took off the necklace.

Ok, is there a reference I'm missing or was his rant about Winnipeg just a stream of consciousness?

I have to say, though, seems like a solid plan. I say, go for it!
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

You know I'm all for the "glorious combat" thing. I love some animals with big ole weapons. The rest I have to roll my eyes at. Which I'm sure Lois is doing for me.

Notice Lois's body language. That is something I literally do when someone I know is acting like a complete moron.

Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
bjchan95

Post by bjchan95 »

Turned into a squirrel, changed genders, met a crazy fox, became a member of the ECP, had the whole school learn of his squirrelness, and fell in the toilet.
Poor Marion can’t catch a break :?
I'm very active on the Housepets! wikia, I've created a lot of articles and help keep it up-to-date! Come and help support us! http://www.housepetscomic.wikia.com
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:Walk away Lois. Walk away. You're a good girlfriend but there are some things that aren't worth it.

I would like to put Illinois back on the table for "Where on Earth is Babylon Gardens?"

The rambling of a teenage outcast. Next thing you know he'll dye his fur and join a garage band and start listening to Fall Out Boy.

I don't think that's fair to either of them. Marion had a (somewhat predicdably) lousy day. He's angry and in pain. And, for the moment, they still consider themselves together. He needs Lois more than ever, now.

I remember wondering if he might go native out of frustration, and it almost looks like he will here, but I think Lois will talk him down.

I wonder if we are heading into a weekend here. There was the number of days left in school error Rick corrected a few days back that left there ond more weekend before school ends. Hopefully, Marion doesn't decide to rejoin the gang at the treehouse.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

dr_eirik wrote: I wonder if we are heading into a weekend here. There was the number of days left in school error Rick corrected a few days back that left there ond more weekend before school ends. Hopefully, Marion doesn't decide to rejoin the gang at the treehouse.
Kinda hope he does on a 'just visiting' basis. He needs some friendly guys to teach him something he really needs to know at the moment.

How to Squirrel.

Also... Has he been reading Diss's manifesto?
Last edited by Welsh Halfwit on Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Why is Lois wearing a jacket? It's finals fortnight so it must be spring or summer. It might be cold at night when we saw Lois previously. Now however it's just past noon if they just had lunch. Also I don't think those clothes are going to dry before Marion's next class. He's going to be extra tardy.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Walk away Lois. Walk away. You're a good girlfriend but there are some things that aren't worth it.

I don't think that's fair to either of them. Marion had a (somewhat predicdably) lousy day. He's angry and in pain. And, for the moment, they still consider themselves together. He needs Lois more than ever, now.

I remember wondering if he might go native out of frustration, and it almost looks like he will here, but I think Lois will talk him down.

I wonder if we are heading into a weekend here. There was the number of days left in school error Rick corrected a few days back that left there ond more weekend before school ends. Hopefully, Marion doesn't decide to rejoin the gang at the treehouse.
He's just lamenting over the fact his life sucks. I mean yeah, he has a good excuse to monologue like a crazy person but what did he expect to happen when he went back to school. Okay, maybe Lois shouldn't walk away but Marion shouldn't expect her to hold out her arms and cradle him or coddle him. It's tough love time. He still has five days of this crap to go. Luckily it should be Friday so he has the weekend to steel himself for the last week of school.

This is one of those moments where King earns keep and guides Marion through his existential crisis or give him the number of a good therapist. King was right about that. He's definitely not going to go native anymore than any other teenager who has a bad day and threatens to drop out of school or drive off into the sunset or do something stupid to spite their parents.

Actually he needs Miles too. Lois needs to find him and get him to talk Marion down. IF anyone can talk Marion through this its Miles. He can tell Marion the story of his camping trip and show that there are worse things that can happen like being thrown into a pit like Silence of the Lambs.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

I remember having moods like that back in high school after something embarrassing happened to me or I had a tough time or got a bad grade in a test in class. Marion’s talking in that fatalistic “well this is my life now” way that people get after their confidence is shattered. He clearly doesn’t mean any of it (I know I never did), but he needs to (or at least feels the need to) say some dire “woe is me” stuff to vent and get a rise out of someone to get them to pay attention to his plight. Talking to Lois should hopefully help him out of his current funk.

Really hope he didn’t lose his bracelet-necklace. That in particular feels like it would be a big hit to his optimism that things will work out.

Is moving to Winnipeg, the dynasty of squirrel-emperors, and meeting his mortal enemies in glorious combat a reference to something? I feel like it could be a reference to Redwall or some other thing I’ve never read.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
tych

Post by tych »

what the **** is h- . . .okay I know this is late but what gender pronouns do I use I mean physically Marion is a girl but inside and before being squirrelified he was a guy so . . .

Mod Edit: Completely obscure words that do not meet our standards
Kanexan

Post by Kanexan »

So wait, is Marion (physically) a male or female squirrel? I know he's mentally a boy still, but I had thought that he was still a boy in squirrel form, and was simply very effeminate-looking (thus the confusion); however, the "having babies with a boy squirrel" thing kinda crosses pretty hard with that. The TvTropes page says he's a boy, which only furthers my confusion...
Dallas is my spirit animal.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Kanexan wrote:So wait, is Marion (physically) a male or female squirrel? I know he's mentally a boy still, but I had thought that he was still a boy in squirrel form, and was simply very effeminate-looking (thus the confusion); however, the "having babies with a boy squirrel" thing kinda crosses pretty hard with that. The TvTropes page says he's a boy, which only furthers my confusion...
Physically, Marion's female. Welcome to the forums, by the way!
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

tych wrote:what gender pronouns do I use
Marion is physically in the body of a female squirrel, and considers himself to be male as he was before the transformation. He has expressed a desire for others to use male pronouns when referring to him, and every other character thus far has accepted this. The pronoun thing really shouldn't be that hard people :P
Tappy Too

Post by Tappy Too »

Strange. I live in Winnipeg, though I haven't noticed any squirrel dynasties or empires around.

Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough..
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Honestly, by Babylon Gardens standards, starting a dynasty of squirrel emperors is not a bad plan. :lol:
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

It is a bit amusing how casually Lois takes that Marion is naked again. I mean, it's not like she needs to avert her eyes, but I doubt she'd have been this casual a week ago...
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I'm going to say that they are going to have that "Heart to Heart" talk over on that picnic table. I'm going to assume that This was foreshadowing an uncomfortable conversation. I'm not saying they should break-up right away but in my experience if someone like Marion is as vulnerable and emotional as he is right now he might say or do something he's going to regret later and make this situation worse before it gets better.

It's time to call the Sad Teen Hotline.

Keldor

Post by Keldor »

I'd be grumpy too if I fell in a toilet.
Kanexan

Post by Kanexan »

LunarFox wrote:
Kanexan wrote:So wait, is Marion (physically) a male or female squirrel? I know he's mentally a boy still, but I had thought that he was still a boy in squirrel form, and was simply very effeminate-looking (thus the confusion); however, the "having babies with a boy squirrel" thing kinda crosses pretty hard with that. The TvTropes page says he's a boy, which only furthers my confusion...
Ah, thank you! That clears up my confusion greatly.

And also thanks for the welcome! I found this comic again through Reddit and decided to catch up on what I've missed, which was... a lot, really.
Like, the last thing I remember reading was about two strips into Save the Date, Part One. It's been fun coming back!
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Saturn381 wrote:And now Marion has lost it. :lol:
Dare I say that they've gone nuts?
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Keldor wrote:I'd be grumpy too if I fell in a toilet.
And not just any toilet, a school toilet. And we janitors generally don't get around to cleaning those until after school's over.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Kanexan wrote:
LunarFox wrote:
Ah, thank you! That clears up my confusion greatly.

And also thanks for the welcome! I found this comic again through Reddit and decided to catch up on what I've missed, which was... a lot, really.
Like, the last thing I remember reading was about two strips into Save the Date, Part One. It's been fun coming back!
You're welcome! Good luck in rereading everything, and here's hoping you'll stay a while! :)
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I feel bad for Marion, but you wouldn't know it based on how much I was giggling throughout this strip :lol:
Also that title text *chef kiss* :D
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:I'm going to say that they are going to have that "Heart to Heart" talk over on that picnic table. I'm going to assume that This was foreshadowing an uncomfortable conversation. I'm not saying they should break-up right away but in my experience if someone like Marion is as vulnerable and emotional as he is right now he might say or do something he's going to regret later and make this situation worse before it gets better.
I'm hopeful that it doesn't go this way just yet. This is obviously a conversation that they will have, but it can ideally wait until summer. I also doubt that Lois would walk away from him right now based on anything he says. She might give him some space, but she seems to squared away to let anything he says now really affect her.

I just realized that this is likely still the lunch break. Hes got more classes before his torment is over.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

How I think a Heart to Heart is going to go:

Lois: Marion we need to talk.
Marion: I knew it. We're breaking up.
Lois: No, we're not.
Marion: Why not? We're not even the same species and I'm not even a guy anymore. Maybe you'd be better off with someone like Bronson.
Lois: Okay, I know you've had a rough day so I'm going to let that slide. I just want to help you get through this.
Marion: You know what I don't need your pity or your help. Leave me alone.
Lois: You know what, Marion. Have it your way. If you want to run off into the woods then go. I'm not going to go looking for you this time. You want to be miserable about this than go ahead. But when your ready to act like a man then I'll be in Biology which is in ten minutes by the way.
Marion: Go ahead and leave. You're just like everyone else. No one understands me or gets how hard this is. How am I supposed to deal with something like this?
Miles: You could try asking for help?
Marion: Mr. Wolf? What are you doing here?
Miles: I was worried about you and Lois told me that you were being a....well she used some language I'm not going to repeat.
Marion: You wouldn't understand. You've always been an animal. A wolf no less. Why couldn't I have woken up as a wolf? At then I could reach the steering wheel of my car.
Miles: I don't pretend to understand what you are going through just like I never really understood King when he told me that he used to be human. All this human becoming animals stuff is beyond me. But I do know what it's like to want to be apart of something and having your species get in the way. When I first left the woods and came into the city, no human wanted anything to do with me. They were afraid of me. Luckily I met Keene and was able to join the ECP.
Marion: I don't want to be apart of the ECP. I mean I'm thankful for what they've done for me but it makes this feel...I don't know...permanent. Like everyone's given up on even trying to find a way for me to change back. I would settle for being male again.
Miles: Wait, you're not a boy squirrel?
Marion: That's not important.
Miles: Let me tell you about a friend of mine. She's a cougar that my pack has known for years but after we left the woods we, or I, broke her heart. She felt like we'd abandoned her. In a way, we did. She was mad about that too. She kidnapped each one of my pack and threw them into a pit and tried to kill me.
Marion: Is this supposed to make me feel better?
Miles: I'm getting there. She joined the ECP because she wanted to do more with her life despite the hardships she'd had been through. She chose to move past her anger and do better for herself and her cub. I wanted that too. The ECP isn't perfect but it is there to help you. We are there to help you too. Not just me but Lois and King and the Miltons. If you don't want to be a squirrel forever, that's understandable but for now you have to choose rather or not you want to be miserable about it or use the resources provided to make the best out of your situation. Being human, a wolf, or a squirrel is all about survival. You have to be willing to change and adapt or you'll be killed.
Marion: Is that why you moved to the city? You wanted to change to survive?
Miles: Exactly. But it's more than that. We could have survived back in the forest but we weren't happy. But living here with he humans, meeting all of you students, I am happy now because I'm doing more than just surviving.
Marion: I don't know how to be happy when I'm like this. Half the school doesn't even believe I'm telling the truth. Thank you for that by the way.
Miles: You're welcome. You have to find your place. If it's in the woods or here in the city, that is something you have to find out. When you do make a choice.
Marion: I tried the woods. I don't think it was for me. But I'll try to find my place here and choose to be happy even as a female squirrel.
Miles: There you go. Do you want me to help you get to class. It'll be faster if I carry you.
Marion: You know, before this talk, I would have said 'no way' but now I think I'll choose to take you up on that offer.
RapidStrike

Post by RapidStrike »

Get yourself together. Move to Philly. Buy a loft. Start a noise band. Get 6 or 7 roommates. Eat hummus with them. Book some gigs. Paint. Smoke catnip. Listen to Animal Collective. Start some type of salsa company.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Elope to Winnipeg? That does sound "squirrelly" .

Um ... it's nice, though. And New Brunswick's nice, too. You could do a collaboration with Res, mebbee......
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

LunarFox wrote:What gets me is the 'meet a boy squirrel' part. So has Marion accepted her? fate, or is it just the sopping wetness talking?
his
bjchan95 wrote:Turned into a squirrel, changed genders, met a crazy fox, became a member of the ECP, had the whole school learn of his squirrelness, and fell in the toilet.
Poor Marion can’t catch a break :?
Same gender, different sex
Champion Wallace wrote:Why is Lois wearing a jacket? It's finals fortnight so it must be spring or summer. It might be cold at night when we saw Lois previously. Now however it's just past noon if they just had lunch. Also I don't think those clothes are going to dry before Marion's next class. He's going to be extra tardy.
Fashion
Marion is a boy. If it helps, feel free to think of him as a trans guy.
Ash Greytree wrote:Is moving to Winnipeg, the dynasty of squirrel-emperors, and meeting his mortal enemies in glorious combat a reference to something? I feel like it could be a reference to Redwall or some other thing I’ve never read.
I may be wildly incorrect, but at least part of that may be a reference to me. Ahaha, my fursona was used as a character in a Web comic called Simon & Freddy. The writer-artist, Hukley, very kindly sought permission to use me as a sort-of villain (and my authoritarian tendencies are well-known among veteran members and my friends, ahahaha).

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

I think we're all missing the important part... Did he really give himself a swirly? XD

...Is that called a squirrely? <w<
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yeah, that's the technical term!

Kanexan

Post by Kanexan »

Dissension wrote:
Marion is a boy. If it helps, feel free to think of him as a trans guy.
I get the similarity, but I'm not sure it entirely fits. He's perfectly fine (or at least it's not shown otherwise) with his biological sex at birth; he's more unwillingly had his body transitioned to female. So it's... reverse trans? Kinda? Like, his dysphoria is with his transitioned body, not with his old one, and if he could have chosen he most certainly would not have wanted to transition.
Unless what you're saying was that he was a trans guy as a human, pre-forced ensquirrelment, in which case I understand what you mean, but it feels like his "don't squirrels have different bits?" statement would seem to contradict that to me.

But eh. It's late and I don't know if I understand anything anymore. In any case, my question was answered and now I know what the deal is. Thanks for trying to help!
Last edited by Kanexan on Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Dissension wrote:Yeah, that's the technical term!
You heard it here first, folks. This is now canon. XD
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Kanexan wrote:Unless what you're saying was that he was a trans guy as a human, pre-forced ensquirrelment, in which case I understand what you mean, but it feels like his "don't squirrels have different bits?" statement would seem to contradict that to me.

But eh. It's late and I don't know if I understand anything anymore. In any case, my question was answered and now I know what the deal is. Thanks for trying to help!
That's not at all what I was saying. :3

To be transgender just means your sex and gender don't match, but ya seem to have that down, so it's all good~