2019/09/13 - Time Makes Fools Of Us All

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Nobody

Re: 2019/09/13 - Time Makes Fools Of Us All

Post by Nobody »

LunarFox wrote:
leinglo wrote:
Nobody wrote:Wow. His mom is a . . . charming young woman.
That a callback to King getting a watch to the head? If it is, nice one!
Of course, it is. It seemed appropriate.
biddyfox wrote:mentioned this on the discord but marion's mother using a few of the lines parents of trans kids often use is an interesting, subtle touch
I really don't feel I can get behind that. Having the situation be that Marion never WANTED to be a squirrel and didn't CHOOSE to become one mangles the metaphor and puts it into really uncomfortable territory.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

SeanWolf wrote:Now I wonder if the mother is gonna transform into an animal...I blame this forum for making me think this theories up xD

Also, is that Pit in the first panel? Don't think we seen him for a while.
Yeah, it's Pit and he's wearing what looks like a zoot suit. Lana's budget cutting may have had an impact on the work forces, like cashiering the wolves, but the Milton's don't seem to be making any life-style economies. The old rule still applies - "If you got it, strut it."
Argent

Post by Argent »

Nobody wrote:I really don't feel I can get behind that. Having the situation be that Marion never WANTED to be a squirrel and didn't CHOOSE to become one mangles the metaphor and puts it into really uncomfortable territory.
Being trans is not exactly a choice.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

dr_eirik wrote:So... thing are moving along, and now the Milton money and ECP are behind him. We are now beyond telling mom and the local ferrets. Who wants to wager that he will end up taking his finals? He may not have even missed any.
I'm betting that this current strip is where the good news stops, and next Keene is going to lay out the bad news that puts a wrinkle in everything and/or gets the ball rolling on what Marion's new daily routine will be. My bet is still on Marion having to repeat senior year of high school. It's September in real life so we could be subjected to a further timeskip, and it would potentially bring Marion into contact with Rockstar and Miles. Him getting a new outfit strengthens my belief that he'll be going back to school. For the more realistic (but less fun in my opinion) route, I could see Keene pulling some strings and enabling Marion to make up his final exam(s) from yesterday and today (in-comic) somewhere off-campus (with Miles proctoring the exams if Marion indeed does go to that same high school), get his diploma (sadly without being able to walk with a cap & robe), and take college classes at home online under his own name since nobody would be able to see him.

Whichever of those two things happens, I can see him also having to take the GOE and registering as a pet just in case. He gets to interact with the rest of the animals of Babylon Gardens as the cause and cure for his squirreliness is searched for. That's what I think Keene is really after so he can enact some sort of plan in the future.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Ash Greytree wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:So... thing are moving along, and now the Milton money and ECP are behind him. We are now beyond telling mom and the local ferrets. Who wants to wager that he will end up taking his finals? He may not have even missed any.
I'm betting that this current strip is where the good news stops, and next Keene is going to lay out the bad news that puts a wrinkle in everything and/or gets the ball rolling on what Marion's new daily routine will be. My bet is still on Marion having to repeat senior year of high school. It's September in real life so we could be subjected to a further timeskip, and it would potentially bring Marion into contact with Rockstar and Miles. Him getting a new outfit strengthens my belief that he'll be going back to school. For the more realistic (but less fun in my opinion) route, I could see Keene pulling some strings and enabling Marion to make up his final exam(s) from yesterday and today (in-comic) somewhere off-campus (with Miles proctoring the exams if Marion indeed does go to that same high school), get his diploma (sadly without being able to walk with a cap & robe), and take college classes at home online under his own name since nobody would be able to see him.

Whichever of those two things happens, I can see him also having to take the GOE and registering as a pet just in case. He gets to interact with the rest of the animals of Babylon Gardens as the cause and cure for his squirreliness is searched for. That's what I think Keene is really after so he can enact some sort of plan in the future.
One of the things I've really enjoyed about this storyline is that its been nearly impossible to predict where Rick is taking it. I personally don't think this is the end of the good news for Marion. It would seem strange to have to repeat his senior year. More likely he'd have to take a GED exam to get his diploma if they can't allow him to take his finals and graduate.

I was thinking about him taking the GOE, and I have to think that Keene will be actually against that. I think if Marion was going to masqurade as a pet, then it makes sense because it gives him at least some legal protection. But here, it sounds like Keene is going to throw in 100% that Marion was human. If that's the case then the GOE would be an admission of sorts that it wasn't true.

I do hope that Rick does manage to set it up so we get to see Marion walk for graduation, even if it's on Lois's shoulder or something. He's look cute in a cap and gown. 8-)
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
tomindex

Post by tomindex »

>tfw your a squirrel now but you didn't want it but it happened anyway, this is me mom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYH8DsU2WCk
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Even though they're wearing them now, Marion will ditch the Pants eventually. Whether it be out of resent or just pure laziness... :P
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Are we going to see Kitsune at this point? The common consensus was that even if he was involved he would have a half-baked excuse not to be able to help but now I'm wondering if he could do something but no one is even going to ask. When its all said and done and Marion is human again, Kitsune is going to walk up to them and be like:
Kitsune: You know I could have changed you back at any time.
Marion: WHAT?
Kitsune: I've been waiting in King's closet for years for someone to ask me but no one came.
Marion to King: You knew about this the entire time and didn't think to try asking the magical fox to change me back?
King: I didn't think he could. He couldn't change me back when I wanted him to and when he did offer I decided to stay a dog.
Marion: Well La De Da for you but I didn't want to be a squirrel for ___ years and we could have at least asked.
Kitsune: He does have a point, King.
King: You stay out of it. Plus aren't you the one with omnipotence? Why didn't you come to us?
Kitsune: I didn't want to take away your free will or interfere unless I was called upon.
MrBlueSky7 wrote:Even though they're wearing them now, Marion will ditch the Pants eventually. Whether it be out of resent or just pure laziness... :P
A. doubt that. B. I'm thinking the pants (among other things) is a sign that Marion's time and this arc are coming to an end. At the very least we'll be seeing less of him for the time being.
dr_eirik wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote:

One of the things I've really enjoyed about this storyline is that its been nearly impossible to predict where Rick is taking it. I personally don't think this is the end of the good news for Marion. It would seem strange to have to repeat his senior year. More likely he'd have to take a GED exam to get his diploma if they can't allow him to take his finals and graduate.

I was thinking about him taking the GOE, and I have to think that Keene will be actually against that. I think if Marion was going to masqurade as a pet, then it makes sense because it gives him at least some legal protection. But here, it sounds like Keene is going to throw in 100% that Marion was human. If that's the case then the GOE would be an admission of sorts that it wasn't true.

I do hope that Rick does manage to set it up so we get to see Marion walk for graduation, even if it's on Lois's shoulder or something. He's look cute in a cap and gown. 8-)
Not really. There have been a few hiccups and some times skips but all in all, this story has progress very predictably. Steward knows about Marion and still has the coin. Marion is home, Lois, King, his mother, and the K9's know about him, and Keene is now going to rope Marion into the ECP. Steward is the still the wild card but everyone else is doing exactly I as I expected them too.
As far as graduation and college goes its up in the air But for the sake of convenience I'm sure he manage to squeeze a diploma so not to have school hanging over his head as he progresses on with his squirrel problem. College is complicated because he may not want to bother with it right now if he can't actually go to an actual school. Online classes are possible but if he actually gets a real job with the ECP as the "Face" or whatever then college would just be a distraction more than anything. If I was marion or even writing this story, I would put college on hold until he changes back.
The only other unpredictable thing at the moment is still the "thing." Do we or do we not reveal to the greater public that Marion was human and that it is possible for humans to become animals for various reasons.
Argent wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Also the fact that shirt is tucked
Good point. Shirt should be loose if you're not wearing a belt.

Still, Pit has some fashion skills.
You might want give Pit some new fashion skills. I don't know enough about fashion to drop names but I know someone is rolling in their graves with Pit wearing that outfit.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Something I should have mentioned before, I love how happy Marion looks in the second panel. It might be the happiest he's looked since we first met him. For a moment, he's just a kid showing off his new clothes to his mom. She kinda unintentionally ruins it, but he clearly is beginning to return to some kind of normality.

As for the comments about this perhaps mirroring something a parent might start saying with a child coming out as trans. I can see it, but this feels a lot different. This isn't a situaton where, if she had just been paying closer attention to her son, she should have seen this coming. Or should be open minded enogh to accept it.

She likely opened her door this morning, after her 17 year old son vanished, to her sons girlfriend, a police dog and a squirrel that she already shooed out of the house telling her "surprise!". This is a lot to absorb. Give her a couple days and she might be one of those parents that try to "help" by throwing herself into things a bit too hard. Like "Mom, I just needed a stepladder for the bed, not an entire habit-ail setup. And where did you even find a squirrel-sized body hair dryer?"

BTW, as to Marions look... that's not all that far from the way I dress. I have half a dozen pants in that color or close. I'd just have buttoned up the shirt... and I don't wear a bulky necklace. 8-)
fenrirblack wrote:Are we going to see Kitsune at this point? The common consensus was that even if he was involved he would have a half-baked excuse not to be able to help but now I'm wondering if he could do something but no one is even going to ask. When its all said and done and Marion is human again, Kitsune is going to walk up to them and be like:
Kitsune: You know I could have changed you back at any time.
Marion: WHAT?
Kitsune: I've been waiting in King's closet for years for someone to ask me but no one came.
Marion to King: You knew about this the entire time and didn't think to try asking the magical fox to change me back?
King: I didn't think he could. He couldn't change me back when I wanted him to and when he did offer I decided to stay a dog.
Marion: Well La De Da for you but I didn't want to be a squirrel for ___ years and we could have at least asked.
Kitsune: He does have a point, King.
King: You stay out of it. Plus aren't you the one with omnipotence? Why didn't you come to us?
Kitsune: I didn't want to take away your free will or interfere unless I was called upon.
I could almost see this happening except it's very quickly going to be out of Kings paws. Once he tells Bailey what's going on, I can't imagine her not almost forcing King to talk to Kitsune or perhaps trying it herself. She doesn't share Kings feelings about him at all.

That, and it won't be long until Sabrina and Tarot find out (either in a news broadcast or from Fido) and Tarot will almost certainly seek him out.

That all still begs the question as to if he even can help, or will he if he can. There have been several examples of situations where he hasn't gotten directly involved and does barely more than hint that there is a solution. I could easily see him telling Marion "I sympathize, kid, but you're on your own."
Last edited by dr_eirik on Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Marion knows how to dress as he wants, and it's fine to keep the pants on. ;) Look instead at your flashy and weird appearance, Pit. :P Seems that he's starting to accept to be a squirrel, hoping to then find a solution... Oh, poor Marion's mother, I understand her, but he's still her son, indeed... :|
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Argent wrote:
Nobody wrote:I really don't feel I can get behind that. Having the situation be that Marion never WANTED to be a squirrel and didn't CHOOSE to become one mangles the metaphor and puts it into really uncomfortable territory.
Being trans is not exactly a choice.
I think the problem is more the fact that for a trans person the change from what they were born as to what they are now, is something they wanted. This is kinda the opposite of that, Marion was happy with his old life and never asked for this.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

This situation is more akin to coming out as trans/starting to transition than being post-transition. He's a guy stuck with female anatomy and he wants his body to match his soul. Marion's mom's dialog is pretty familiar, tbh.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

I don't mind the developments. But I am wondering if Keene is stupid enough to be steward's unwitting pawn.
Challenge James T Cat in SMASH Ultimate plus Switch Online: SW-2695-1793-4587
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

dr_eirik wrote:One of the things I've really enjoyed about this storyline is that its been nearly impossible to predict where Rick is taking it. I personally don't think this is the end of the good news for Marion. It would seem strange to have to repeat his senior year. More likely he'd have to take a GED exam to get his diploma if they can't allow him to take his finals and graduate.

The direction has been nearly impossible to predict, and sometimes that’s good.  But if the story swerves all the way toward Marion being able to return to school and graduate like nothing happened mostly because an exceedingly rich ferret decided to pull some strings for the sake of his own motives, it wouldn’t really sit right with me.  Marion being told he can’t always get what he wants but ending up getting almost exactly what he wants thanks to Keene and the ECP would be unpredictable and lend some irony to the whole story, yes, but it would come at the cost of making some of the themes I’ve been seeing through Marion’s arc (You can’t always get what you want, No, it won’t all go the way it should) ring hollow.

Alongside this, Marion’s arc has been taking from issues that trans individuals have to deal with.  For the story to go in the direction of “And some of Marion's biggest problems got solved and he graduated and became happy again thanks to money and power backing him up” after taking inspiration from struggles and problems that trans people face every day?  That would leave a bad taste in my mouth and probably ruffle a lot of other people's feathers as well. I'd personally be beside myself if what I'm really dreading winds up happening: That all happens, and the end of this current arc has Marion and Lois get put on a bus to college while the main focus largely reverts back to King et al contending with whatever or whoever turned Marion into a squirrel, only for him and Lois to come back later on for the conclusion of that whole plotline.

I'd very much like for the story from here to go toward a "Things have gotten better, but it'll take a while and some hard work for things to be great" scenario to happen for Marion. Marion's back with his family, but has to repeat senior year of high school. His former humanity is kept secret from the public. As part of the ECP, he ends up going to a different high school than the one he was at previously just to be sure that nobody recognizes his mannerisms/handwriting/etc, and interacts with Miles and Rockstar who just so happen to be teaching/attending there. By day he studies, and after class he works with the rest of the animals who are going to help him (Fox, Fido, King, and more), and is an active part of the plot with more agency than he's had in the last three parts of his story where he was more or less constantly led around in a tragedy/comedy of errors.

Marion got broken down in these last few arcs. I'd like to see him build himself back up with the help of newfound animal friends and develop as a character that way rather than money solving all his problems.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Now that Marion's wearing pants nobody (except maybe other squirrels) can tell his body is female. Depending on how closely Marion's Mom was paying attention the day before, she might not even know.
SeanWolf wrote:Also, is that Pit in the first panel? Don't think we seen him for a while.
You can tell Pit appart from Lana because his body is all white where as Lana's body is beige and arms are brown. Also Pit is more "fashionable". We haven't seen Pit for almost two years since The last supper and more prominently nearly two and a half years before that at the eating competition/food fight.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am a bit embarrassed to admit, I thought that Pit was Lana at first. XD
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Ash Greytree wrote:
The direction has been nearly impossible to predict, and sometimes that’s good.  But if the story swerves all the way toward Marion being able to return to school and graduate like nothing happened mostly because an exceedingly rich ferret decided to pull some strings for the sake of his own motives, it wouldn’t really sit right with me.  Marion being told he can’t always get what he wants but ending up getting almost exactly what he wants thanks to Keene and the ECP would be unpredictable and lend some irony to the whole story, yes, but it would come at the cost of making some of the themes I’ve been seeing through Marion’s arc (You can’t always get what you want, No, it won’t all go the way it should) ring hollow.
It's more complicated than that. He worked for his diploma so its more than he wants one. He deserves one. Not to mention him not getting one or starting Senior year over would be a waste of time and more complicated considering the direction the story appears to be heading in. Plus he's a squirrel. A female squirrel. He wants to change back to normal but life is not allowing that at the moment which hits the theme really hard. Things are better for him but a far cry from what they were two days ago or what he really wants. Clothing and his mother's begrudging acceptance are small pieces of what he lost and what he wants. He has a long uphill battle to get his human rights back and the acceptance of the general populace. I mean I doubt he'll be able to walk outside without being treed again. The ECP can only do so much. We don't know Lois's plans either.
Ash Greytree wrote:I'd very much like for the story from here to go toward a "Things have gotten better, but it'll take a while and some hard work for things to be great" scenario to happen for Marion. Marion's back with his family, but has to repeat senior year of high school. His former humanity is kept secret from the public. As part of the ECP, he ends up going to a different high school than the one he was at previously just to be sure that nobody recognizes his mannerisms/handwriting/etc, and interacts with Miles and Rockstar who just so happen to be teaching/attending there. By day he studies, and after class he works with the rest of the animals who are going to help him (Fox, Fido, King, and more), and is an active part of the plot with more agency than he's had in the last three parts of his story where he was more or less constantly led around in a tragedy/comedy of errors.

Marion got broken down in these last few arcs. I'd like to see him build himself back up with the help of newfound animal friends and develop as a character that way rather than money solving all his problems.
The "things have gotten better...." direction is the obvious one that the story will take and the most predictable but there are too many unknowns currently to tell where it is going. Once Keene is back in play we'll have a better understanding but until then we have to wind down this first part.
He will have to become more involved with the other animals because, let's be honest, that what's the comic about so that's a given. Not to mention if he does have a role in the ECP then he will have to be more involved.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I am a bit embarrassed to admit, I thought that Pit was Lana at first. XD
Get in line, I somehow mixed and matched the ferrets in my brain in a way that I either though Pit was Duke or Lana depending on the comic. Pit was not in my brain... at all.

Edited because Duke is not Rock.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, friends, the name tags below the comic did identify "Pit" as "Pit" … maybe it was someone different earlier when the comic was first posted :?:
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:Well, friends, the name tags below the comic did identify "Pit" as "Pit" … maybe it was someone different earlier when the comic was first posted :?:
No, in my case, it's that i somehow missed Pit as a character at all, and my brain filled in either Lana or Duke when he was in panel.

Stupid brain.

I should clarify, if held under duress with the threat of being tickled until my lunch came up, I would have never said Pit. I'm not sure why.
Last edited by dr_eirik on Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:Well, friends, the name tags below the comic did identify "Pit" as "Pit" … maybe it was someone different earlier when the comic was first posted :?:
No, in my case, it's that i somehow missed Pit as a character at all, and my brain filled in either Lana or Duke when he was in panel.

Stupid brain.
Might be a mild case of "Ferret fatigue", dr.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

fenrirblack wrote:It's more complicated than that. He worked for his diploma so its more than he wants one. He deserves one. Not to mention him not getting one or starting Senior year over would be a waste of time and more complicated considering the direction the story appears to be heading in. Plus he's a squirrel. A female squirrel. He wants to change back to normal but life is not allowing that at the moment which hits the theme really hard. Things are better for him but a far cry from what they were two days ago or what he really wants. Clothing and his mother's begrudging acceptance are small pieces of what he lost and what he wants. He has a long uphill battle to get his human rights back and the acceptance of the general populace. I mean I doubt he'll be able to walk outside without being treed again. The ECP can only do so much. We don't know Lois's plans either.
I mean, judging by his study habits, he may not have gotten one if he had woken up a human that morning. My concern is that, with Keene's backing and with Marion so quickly having a reunion with his mom that's seemingly going okay, the direction that the story could head in (based on the info we have right now) is one where Marion will have the graduation problem and the general-populace-acceptance problem solved all-too fast and he manages to walk in cap-and-gown to graduation as a squirrel. His main issue then will just be that he's a female squirrel, but with everything else solved he'll have most of his regular life back and all that'd be left is to look for the cause of and cure for his squirreliness.

I don't want the story to head in that direction because I think that would be less interesting and make some of the more emotional moments in previous parts of Marion's story less impactful. As well, there's been this sort-of-paranoid thought in the back of my head for a bit that if Marion graduates now, he'll head off to college with Lois and we won't see the two of them again for a good long while.

I keep bringing up the "Marion has to repeat senior year" idea because it would present an intriguing conflict that Marion will have to face to solve one of his problems, keep Marion close to Babylon Gardens while giving some future arcs a school setting which we haven't really seen much of, and put Marion into potential contact with Miles and the Wolf Cubs which could lead to interesting character interactions.
fenrirblack wrote:The "things have gotten better...." direction is the obvious one that the story will take and the most predictable but there are too many unknowns currently to tell where it is going. Once Keene is back in play we'll have a better understanding but until then we have to wind down this first part. He will have to become more involved with the other animals because, let's be honest, that what's the comic about so that's a given. Not to mention if he does have a role in the ECP then he will have to be more involved.
I agree that there are too many unknowns right now. That's what makes me worried that some of Marion's problems could get solved all too quickly. Now that it's the next day, I'd like for the pace to go slow and we get something like what you mentioned earlier to get a bigger picture of what Marion's going to be doing and which characters he's going to be interacting with:
fenrirblack wrote:Honestly I would like to see the heart to heart scene where Keene and company explains what happened to Marion and where they go from here to fill in the gaps.
Keene's plan is still a big unknown. Is this part of the "thing" or just preparing for a much greater "thing."
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

:shock: OK...it seems we're going back into 'dark & depressing' theories regarding Marion, why he transformed, and how he'll adjust to his life. So let me liven things up: Wouldn't it have been funny if Rock had him dress like Conker from 'Conker Live & Reloaded'? I mean, they're both squirrels.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

while a zip-up blue hoodie would be easy, i dont think shoes that tacky exist outside video games
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Now I wanna know what kind of shoes that Marion has on. :mrgreen:
Keeshah
Game Master

Re: Why Do None of These Configurations Include Pants?

Post by Keeshah »

shadowlucario50 wrote:I'll go ahead and claim that Marion's the first animal to break the "no pants" rule.

Now watch as someone proves me wrong by pulling up a previous strip of an animal wearing pants.

He is also hiding the fact that "he" is actually a FEMALE squirrel
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

His voice might give away the fact that his body is female, but maybe not. I was actually wondering the other day what Marion would sound like. Been thinking of several different voices he could have. One that keeps sticking out is Melissa Fahn, the voice of Gaz in Invader Zim as well as the voice of Rika in Digimon Tamers. A tomboyish voice that doesn’t sound too squeaky like a chipmunk’s but you could still imagine coming from a squirrel.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Getting back to the “reveal” topic for a moment. I don’t know about telling the state, country, or world about Marion and the possibility of spontaneous human-animal transformation but they do need to tell the neighborhood. Not just because this is the fourth time this has happened but for Marion’s safety, we don’t want another Kevin incident. Not to mention that the other humans need to know that this one particular squirrel is not what he appears despite the clothes. I wonder how the either pets would react.
Grape: Peanut, you're back from camp. You will not believe what happened while you were gone.
Peanut: I need you tell you what happened to me.
Grape: You went to Art Camp. I’m sure that whatever it was is nothing compared to this.
Peanut: I found a cave in a secret grove and laying in a beam of sunlight was a giant golden Lion! I called him Asgore because I couldn’t pronounce his real name. He warned me that great changes were coming and that I would need to seek out the one who is not what he seems. Isn’t that exciting? What was your thing?
Grape: I’m going to go lay down and take a nap. If you hear something that sounds like I’m screaming into a pillow, it’s not.

Yes, I’m still obsessed with Peanut going to camp.
SeanWolf wrote: :shock: OK...it seems we're going back into 'dark & depressing' theories regarding Marion, why he transformed, and how he'll adjust to his life. So let me liven things up: Wouldn't it have been funny if Rock had him dress like Conker from 'Conker Live & Reloaded'? I mean, they're both squirrels.
Okay here’s a light and “fun” theory. Marion goes on a publicity tour across the country to promote the ECP and animal rights. In the way they detour into Canada where he meets Res. Res gets inspired by Marion’s story and decides to write another series about a human who was turned into an animal. To learn more and research he decides to “move” to Babylon Gardens where he becomes a full member of the cast. Then the Dino-Demon shows up and Res shifts to his Tiger form and fights it but it runs away and takes Grape with it. Gasp So Marion, Res, Peanut, Tiger, And Max, And some others journey to Egypt where they find Dragon’s temple. They fight the demon at the mana pool again. Marion gains the godlike power this time but it corrupt his dark human heart turning him into a monster squirrel god. They fight Marion to a stand still when Lois shows up and appeals to Marion’s better nature. He frees himself but the dark powers and by doing so changes back to normal. They all go home.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Mrs Ward's reaction to the situation seems to be more about how it affects her than how how it affects Marion.

Also, I wish I had Marion's fashion sense.
Raku

Post by Raku »

dr_eirik wrote:BTW, as to Marions look... that's not all that far from the way I dress. I have half a dozen pants in that color or close. I'd just have buttoned up the shirt... and I don't wear a bulky necklace. 8-)
CunningFox wrote:Also, I wish I had Marion's fashion sense.
I too have a similar style to Marion... Though I mostly go with everything in black, and am not as neat as Marion. I normally rock the standard Adidas pants (with white stripes), T-Shirt (not tucked in), and a button up (I call it an overshirt) open the same way Marion does his.

Funny to see similar style in dress.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its funny that it seems how Marion either has the fashion sense of older adults or older adults have the fashion sense of a teenager. :lol:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay so I just finished reading this book. It's not a traditional YA but more like a non-fiction whatever. Anyway, It follows the usual beats of a YA and had the usual all is lost moment followed by slowly getting it all back, then becoming the hero blah blah blah. But it being non-fiction-ish means that life doesn't work that way. SO it got me thinking that, and this is not the most original or insight thought, despite how much Marion's life is getting better something big is going to happen that is going to upheave this blissful "everything is getting better" thing. Because that's how life is even in fiction. Marion's life isn't perfect, it never was, and it sure ain't great now but something big is going to happen so what could it be? Well, the obvious answer is Keene's "thing" but I'm also leaning towards Steward (I know right gasp! Fenrir is talking about Steward.) because he did have that big moment where he talked about getting Marion to join the ECP and now that Marion is moving in that direction this might be his chance to step out of the shadows. I can't imagine Keene would be thrilled about it but Steward has been living in the woods for a year now so I wonder if Keene can forgive him or use him as another pawn in his "thing" because for better or worse Steward is in the same boat as Marion. Bringing both Marion and Steward together again is going to create something that is reminds me of baking soda and vinegar. It's going to make a mess.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Another potential hiccup: They cant get Marion recognized legally as human. Since they dont exactly have proof, then the legal system may have no actual option. That would be a blow and would likely knock the pins out from under him just as things are getting better.

Add to that a bizzare plot twist right our of my... ether. Marion turns out to be an endangered species of squirrel. Now the local zoo wants him...
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:Another potential hiccup: They cant get Marion recognized legally as human. Since they dont exactly have proof, then the legal system may have no actual option. That would be a blow and would likely knock the pins out from under him just as things are getting better.

Add to that a bizzare plot twist right our of my... ether. Marion turns out to be an endangered species of squirrel. Now the local zoo wants him...
Getting "proof" might be why they need Steward. If someone "volunteers" to be changed then maybe Marion and the rest will have a chance. Mr. London would be my first choice because A. He's an established character and B. he's expendable. If they did something like this then i would have to be a character already in the cast but I don't see any of the owners wanting to do this or Lois (but she'll still be changed eventually for some other reason). That's a funny thought, Marion going "Join us Lois. Join us.)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:Another potential hiccup: They cant get Marion recognized legally as human. Since they dont exactly have proof, then the legal system may have no actual option. That would be a blow and would likely knock the pins out from under him just as things are getting better.

I would assume Marion could get his parents and Lois to stand witness as to his humanity - although the Zoo might make them an offer to recant ...
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:

Getting "proof" might be why they need Steward. If someone "volunteers" to be changed then maybe Marion and the rest will have a chance. Mr. London would be my first choice because A. He's an established character and B. he's expendable. If they did something like this then i would have to be a character already in the cast but I don't see any of the owners wanting to do this or Lois (but she'll still be changed eventually for some other reason). That's a funny thought, Marion going "Join us Lois. Join us.)
That seems like a possible direction, a new transformation of a volunteer in a setting where it can't be written off as a trick. If that was to be an existing human character, I think you've found about the only two that might even be possibilities. London I could see because that's the kind of courtroom antic that might actually get him really noticed. Lois I could see her doing it without fully grasping that there is no going back. I really can't think of another character that would be even a possibility.

Beyond that, how about a courtroom skeptic? Like a lawyer for the government

States Attorney: You''re trying to tell this court that if a human touches this gold coin, they''ll transform into an animal?
Mr. London: That is what I'm reliably informed of. That, and we have video of two humans transforming after touching it, as you've seen...
States Attorney: You'd think that with the Milton money they'd have had better special effects. So if I open this bag and reach in...
Mr. London: Wait! Stop...! Never mind.
NHWestoN wrote:

I would assume Marion could get his parents and Lois to stand witness as to his humanity - although the Zoo might make them an offer to recant ...
?

Assuming a general legal system of the current United States, there would be no law on the books that would cover this. Unless there is some kind of "citizenship" clause for animals, which if there were then Keene would be exploiting the heck out of it. So it's hard to say what a court will do.

That's even assuming that's the direction Rick is taking it. Keenes idea of a "thing" could be straightforward like a court battle, but could be using the coin to transform *many* volunteers that he can find.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Keene starts going on a transformation scheme could be problematic because eventually he would lose control and start doing forced transformations. Remember that Keene tends to escalate things until they get out of control.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Keene starts going on a transformation scheme could be problematic because eventually he would lose control and start doing forced transformations. Remember that Keene tends to escalate things until they get out of control.
I think Breel would be able to keep him somewhat under control. That doesn't disprove your point, though. Nothing Keene does ever works perfectly. He could get one volunteer, then everything hits the proverbial fan.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

All he needs is one, and it somehow backfires and several more people who didn't volunteer get turned.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:

That seems like a possible direction, a new transformation of a volunteer in a setting where it can't be written off as a trick. If that was to be an existing human character, I think you've found about the only two that might even be possibilities. London I could see because that's the kind of courtroom antic that might actually get him really noticed. Lois I could see her doing it without fully grasping that there is no going back. I really can't think of another character that would be even a possibility.
NHWestoN wrote:

?

Assuming a general legal system of the current United States, there would be no law on the books that would cover this. Unless there is some kind of "citizenship" clause for animals, which if there were then Keene would be exploiting the heck out of it. So it's hard to say what a court will do.

That's even assuming that's the direction Rick is taking it. Keenes idea of a "thing" could be straightforward like a court battle, but could be using the coin to transform *many* volunteers that he can find.
The more I think about it, the harder it would be no matter what to convince the legal system to recognize any therian as human. Each time someone has joined the ECP, unless something has changed since Year 2, they've all been "Keene's pets." In that regard, the "thing" might not have to do with legalizing or restoring rights as much as simply legalizing Marion and etc as "pets." In Marion's case, Julia's pet. Keene said before that "all the humans would want their rights back" but that can be interrupted any number of ways. Miles and the wolves and Gale don't exactly have the same "rights" as humans (I don't see them voting anytime soon) but are still treated with the same manner of respect by the general population as a human i.e. they have jobs and can go to the store and do human things without Animal Control being called each time. This logic being that they have their rights in the regard they are not feral animals and therefore can't be hauled off into the great yonder just for existing but still have to follow the same laws and rules as before.
I hope Keene breaks down to Marion what exactly happens next like he did with King and Miles just so we know for sure where we and he stands regarding the legal system. Because revealing the truth will cause a major backlash that I doubt Rick wants to have to write about.
As far as the rest goes, I thrown some theories at the wall but in all honestly the simpler route might be best. Don't tell the school the truth because now that Julia knows she can make up some excuse for why Marion can't take his exams there. Can't go to graduation so that sucks but that's his life now. College is still up in the air as far as if Marion still wants to even bother with it. Neither Steward and the coin have to be involved nor do any other humans have to be transformed despite Keene's ominous tone and phrasing (at least for the time being).
It may get more complicated if someone else gets transformed or changed into the wrong animal but for the time being there doesn't really need to be a rush for announcing to the world that the supernatural and magic exists.

All this legal mumbo jumbo brings up an interesting gray area in the comic that I've touched on several times in the past and basically it boils down to "legally how different are the pets and the humans?" As we've seen the wolves and gale have jobs. The cubs are in school and I wonder if this is a new concept because no other animal even bothered trying. Keene's influenced help get them there (knowing the right people isn't a new idea considering that how it works for humans too) but legally is there a law that had to be overlooked or bypassed? I doubt it because other pets have gotten jobs before like Zach. Look at Itsuki who is technically a legal Japanese citizen in the states on a student visa and no one really cared. Earl was caught off guard but beyond that no said anything. Anyway, if I were to wager a guess about how this all works I would say that essentially if an animal wanted to do all of this they would have to be a "pet" therefore recognized as a legal citizen but more than that essentially a human (or Keene) would have to take responsibility for their actions which makes them a legal citizen by association.

All this to say, that sure Marion would want to be recognized legally as Marion Ward the 17 year old Human male but I really doubt that could happen right away (if ever) and even if he wasn't, his life wouldn't be that different legally. I mean he's still physically different, psychologically damaged, socially outcasted, and emotionally scarred but beyond that how different from someone who wasn't even a legal adult.