Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Zesortinge

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Zesortinge »

Buster wrote:
Sleet wrote:It doesn't help that the genre is kind of played out. It needs new angles to make it work
that's an outright lie, and devs believing that kind of sentiment, over listening to those of us who wanted more collectathons that were just collectathons, is what killed the genre and spawned a dozen series-ending flops in the first place.
Sleet wrote:Mario seems to be the only exception
mario isn't a true collectathon though, it's a regular platformer. they're not the same thing. yes there is an item collection element in each of his games but, save for mario 64, it's never the core mechanic, it's always in service of something else.

a true collectathon is a scavenger hunt first before anything else. all other mechanics serve that one.
Wasn't Super Mario Odyssey a collectathon?
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Sleet wrote:Genres move in and out of popularity. The collectathon is niche and while rehashing the same elements may be fun, especially for people who like that kind of thing, it's not marketable. Only a few people would buy them.
so you plan for that, keep your concept simple, and your budget small. you just need realistic expectations of audience size.
Zesortinge wrote:Wasn't Super Mario Odyssey a collectathon?
while i haven't played odyssey yet, as i don't much like the mario series, (largely because i don't like Mario himself as a player character. also probably doesn't help that my intro to the series was Mario 64, which i played AFTER playing DK64 and BK, and loved the similarity to them even if it did give too much emphasis on platforming over item hunting, only to be promptly frustrated by sunshine and infuriated by galaxy shifting emphasis further and further in the wrong direction.) from what I've read about it the levels have a bit more obvious a critical path than i'd like. ideally they shouldn't have one at all and should expect you to get lost. other wise it seems like it might be? again haven't played.
Last edited by Buster on Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

A Hat In Time is a good collect-em-up platformer, from what I've seen. I watched someone stream part of it and the art style and writing are much more my jam than Banjo or Mario.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

Buster wrote:
Zesortinge wrote:Wasn't Super Mario Odyssey a collectathon?
while i haven't played odyssey yet, as i don't much like the mario series, (largely because i don't like Mario himself as a player character. also probably doesn't help that my intro to the series was Mario 64, which i played AFTER playing DK64 and BK, and loved the similarity to them even if it did give too much emphasis on platforming over item hunting, only to be promptly frustrated by sunshine and infuriated by galaxy shifting emphasis further and further in the wrong direction.) from what I've read about it the levels have a bit more obvious a critical path than i'd like. ideally they shouldn't have one at all and should expect you to get lost. other wise it seems like it might be? again haven't played.
The path is only really there in some levels. Even then you still have to explore them. The Metro Kingdom is one of the levels without much of an obvious path to explore the level.
Ash Greytree wrote:A Hat In Time is a good collect-em-up platformer, from what I've seen. I watched someone stream part of it and the art style and writing are much more my jam than Banjo or Mario.
While that is a good game, I think Buster while find the game to have a bit too obvious of a path for several missions.

Is anyone waiting for the release of Luigi's Mansion 3?
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

A leaked internal memo is saying that Nintendo is going to do any future Joycon repairs for free, as well as refund any repairs people have already paid for. Link: https://kotaku.com/report-nintendo-will ... 1836646718
No idea if it’s true yet, but fingers crossed.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay so we now have Galar region forms. I have mixed feelings about that. Before it made sense in a weird way because it was fixing the flaws from the first generation since elements like Steel, Fairy, and dark didn't exist then. But now it feels like they're just giving up altogether. Instead of coming up with more pokemon, they're recycling old ones and making things much more complicated. I mean first it was dynamax (which can only happen in certain locations) then gigantimax but only with specific Pokemon of a certain species (go figure that logic) and now we have regional evolutions where only certain forms can evolve. This isn't too new because several Pokemon in the past, only females could evolve or in Burmy's case males and females evolve into different Pokemon altogether. These new forms just feel silly. Weezing has stovetop hats and the Zigazagoon family are a bunch of KISS fans. It's not just these but a lot of the new Pokemon just feel like they've given up. Alcremie's gigantimax form is a fully decorated four tier cake. How is that natural? Before there was a logic to the pokemon styles, even with the alolan forms but now it's just gimmicks. Okay, so gimmicks have always been a thing but they made it work. Alolan Raichu being a surfer made sense because it used its psychic powers to float. Marowak being a fire dancer made sense because it just sets the bone on fire. But with Zigzagoon, the star's shapes around the eyes are so unnatural. It couldn't be circles or something similar to the original but instead it had to scream we're ripping off KISS. The Pokemon Company isn't even being subtle.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I take it to mean that they are starting to give up but won't admit it because Pokemon is their biggest franchise and they will milk it until the end of the world.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Legotron123 wrote:A leaked internal memo is saying that Nintendo is going to do any future Joycon repairs for free, as well as refund any repairs people have already paid for. Link: https://kotaku.com/report-nintendo-will ... 1836646718
No idea if it’s true yet, but fingers crossed.
Doubt it's true. I've had some not so good experiences with them
*cough cough* not having bent pin connectors for the cartridge reader covered under 2ds warrenty *cough cough*
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

fenrirblack wrote:Okay so we now have Galar region forms. I have mixed feelings about that. Before it made sense in a weird way because it was fixing the flaws from the first generation since elements like Steel, Fairy, and dark didn't exist then. But now it feels like they're just giving up altogether. Instead of coming up with more pokemon, they're recycling old ones and making things much more complicated. I mean first it was dynamax (which can only happen in certain locations) then gigantimax but only with specific Pokemon of a certain species (go figure that logic) and now we have regional evolutions where only certain forms can evolve. This isn't too new because several Pokemon in the past, only females could evolve or in Burmy's case males and females evolve into different Pokemon altogether. These new forms just feel silly. Weezing has stovetop hats and the Zigazagoon family are a bunch of KISS fans. It's not just these but a lot of the new Pokemon just feel like they've given up. Alcremie's gigantimax form is a fully decorated four tier cake. How is that natural? Before there was a logic to the pokemon styles, even with the alolan forms but now it's just gimmicks. Okay, so gimmicks have always been a thing but they made it work. Alolan Raichu being a surfer made sense because it used its psychic powers to float. Marowak being a fire dancer made sense because it just sets the bone on fire. But with Zigzagoon, the star's shapes around the eyes are so unnatural. It couldn't be circles or something similar to the original but instead it had to scream we're ripping off KISS. The Pokemon Company isn't even being subtle.
I'm honestly just waiting for Gene Simmons to come along and sue them (he's been known to do that due to his ego).
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Personally, I have the opposite opinion on them. I love the Zigzagoon lines KISS cosplay, and as soon as I saw the smokestack top-hats I knew I had to have Weezing on my team.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Are the types changing like the Alola variants?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Yep. The Zigzagoon line is normal/dark. Weezing is poison/fairy.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

so there is a minecraft mod that lets you browse the internet, that is how I am posting this post.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

I got the true ending in Bloodstained the other day. I didn't go for 100% completion of all the Shards and items and all that, but I put in a good bit of work at the end to boost Miriam to enough power to tackle the final boss. I strongly recommend the game to anybody who's a fan of the post-Symphony Castlevania games; it's a freaking masterpiece.

Alongside this, I've also gotten back into Torchlight II. I'd dropped it for years but started a new character and got right back around to where I was. Loot-based games like this and Diabo just scratch that perfect itch and let me zone out for hours at a time when I have nothing better to do.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

ive been working on a bit of a project of my own and trying to come up with a way to make it stand out since metroidvanias are almost becoming too common lately (even if too many of them forget that the genre isn't just defined by it's map design and upgrade-gating mechanic but also by the sense of dread and isolation the setting instills. the games that named and codified the genre are based on Dracula and Alien people!), and an idea occurred to me.

how many are there that never give you item pickups? no health ups, no ammo refills, no consumables, nothing. force the player to use what they have carefuly because once that expansion or health tank they picked up is spent its just spent, end of discussion.

the only ones i can think of are roguelites, and they do it to encourage you to reset often so you'll be back to full for the next run, but has it ever been done with a static-layout game? to a game that doesn't have psudo-progression next runs?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Completely unaware of such. Barely ever heard of roguelikes, anyway. You planning on making a long game?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i'm not aiming for a specific length of play time. that kind of thinking leads to unnecessary padding/railroading.

...it does have a pretty convoluted map though, and is designed with the intention that you're constantly getting lost or turned around. combine with that the enemies re spawning if you travel too far from the room they were in, and everything beneficial to you is finite in quantity and rare, so you are kinda encourage to go slowly and cautiously.

in the first area you either get a high-powered rifle, or a stealth suit, getting one blocks the other until the final section of the game, and dictates how you'll be dealing with enemies for the majority of the game. the stealth route is cut off from most of the weapons, ammo, and health upgrades, while the combat route leaves you in a position where it's extremely difficult to evade hostiles, so you'll frequently get drawn into fights and need that extra gear.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Will unarmed combat be a thing if you run out of ammo in the weapon route? This was my main thing I didn't like in Breath of the Wild.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Your starting weapon is based on metroid Zero Mission's emergency pistol; it self-recharges, and is woefully underpowered for pretty much every situation, but is there if you need it.
it's called a Stunner and it has the worst damage output, range, and rate of fire of pretty much every fire arm you get. in sector two and beyond it can't actually finish ANYTHING only stun-lock them.

as for melee, the stealth route's weapons are all melee themed (a blade and a sort of power gauntlet thing, as opposed to the 6 different rifles, grenades, underbarel missile launcher, and giant canon thing the combat route gets) and are much more effective against enemies that haven't been alerted yet, against enemies that have, unless you're wearing the late-game version of the glove, you may as well be using the stunner since at least that keeps you out of arms reach.

or if you've got the Quick-Switch adapter for your materializer, you can do a 1-2 punch stun-locking an enemy and either immediately running them through or blasting them with the canon, but you don't even get the gear to do that till mid-game.
Last edited by Buster on Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Alright, sounds good so far.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Kerbal Space Program is getting a sequel. The sequel will emphasize futuristic space travel, colonization, and interstellar exploration.

I don't play the original game anymore but it had a big influence on me when I was younger. I really like how KSP 2 will progress the "story" by focusing on more advanced space travel.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i dunno... if the final game is like the trailer i'm pretty sure i would quickly get frustrated with my landing platforms not popping in until im practically on them. :P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That kind of reminds me of when the AVGN was doing "Top Gun" and couldn't land correctly at all. :lol:
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Well, they announced the rest of Kombat Pack 1 which includes, along with Shang Tsung and Nightwolf: Sindel, Spawn, The Joker (Odd choice), and the T-800 Terminator.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Frankly, I think the Joker was the only choice that made sense. Highly sadistic and violent. Yeah, there are plenty of other DC characters that kill, but Joker is most well known, I think. Besides, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Raiden were in Injustice, full circle had to come eventually.

I've been doing some looking online, a number of people are highly upset about the release dates, though.
Pugfanatic7708

Post by Pugfanatic7708 »

Soooo, anyone here played persona 5? Or what games do you play?
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

The other day I completed The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories. Warning: If you want to play it, please take note that the game's subject matter is mature and touches on some serious and dark themes, but the writing manages to lighten the mood at the right times. The game is made by White Owls, a studio headed by Suehiro Hidetaka. Suehiro helmed the game Deadly Premonition, which is well-known for being a janky mess of a game to play, but its writing and off-kilter sense of humor which were both inspired by Twin Peaks turned it into a cult hit. That off-kilter sense of humor is present in J.J. Macfield, and helps to soften the emotional gut-punches and unsettling imagery that you encounter throughout. The last hour of J.J. had me crying tears of sadness and joy in equal measure. It was phenomenal, and I highly recommend it.

Alongside this, I started playing Golf Story on the Switch. This is a much more relaxed and chill game than J.J.; a pixel indie game where you play as a young golfer who wants to rise to the top. Its story mode has you completing various objectives in order to gain XP and level up your golfer stats and earn money to gain new equipment to challenge tougher golfers. Its sense of humor reminds me a lot of the first two Paper Mario games. This is another game I highly recommend.

Right now, I'm fixing to put some time into CrossCode. This game stars Lea, who wakes up with no memory of her past. The game is a single-player action-RPG that takes place in a virtual-reality MMO. It sounds a bit confusing but once you get into it it starts to make sense. I had set the game down for a good while, but now I'm ready to hop back in.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I'd rather have ZX3 and legends 3 resume production, than redundant copies of six games i already own. at least with the classic and x collections they included games that were out of circulation before i got into the series.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

This is going to be by first time actually playing any of these games (I bought the ZX games but never got around to playing them), so I’m just excited to experience the stories first hand instead of through wiki summaries. Plus, hopefully if this makes enough money we might actually GET ZX3.

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

So, crossovers seem to be the deal of the day. Gears 5, coming out I think next month, will have special DLC available to those who get the Ultimate edition; Kat and Emile from Halo: Reach.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That think is right up there with not expecting "Dora the Explorer" to have a PG-rated movie.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

ew, what is that doing being outside the shovelware bin?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Huh, I've heard that they were surprisingly well made games. Haven't played them, though, so only going on hearsay.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

its a movie tie-in game. with very very few exceptions (actually only one exception: Goldeneye), that makes it shovelware until proven otherwise.
Last edited by Buster on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I didn't even know that they existed. Granted at the time they were released I either wasn't born yet, an infant or a very young toddler so I wouldn't know what video games are back then.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Buster wrote:its a movie tie-in game. with very very few exceptions (actually only one exception: Goldeneye), that makes it shovelware until proven otherwise.
GoldenEye was good for it’s time but quite frankly doesn’t hold up today by console FPS standards, nor did it hold up by the time the 2000s rolled around; the original Halo: Combat Evolved upstaged GoldenEye in nearly every way. The Mummy Demastered, developed by Shantae creators WayForward, is apparently solid, and definitely much better than the movie itself. As was The Lego Movie: The Game, mainly because it was made by Travelers Tales, the same folks that make the other Lego titles.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I’d be much more interested if the SNES version was with it. I’m still getting to check out the others.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Ash Greytree wrote:
Buster wrote:its a movie tie-in game. with very very few exceptions (actually only one exception: Goldeneye), that makes it shovelware until proven otherwise.
GoldenEye was good for it’s time but quite frankly doesn’t hold up today by console FPS standards, nor did it hold up by the time the 2000s rolled around; the original Halo: Combat Evolved upstaged GoldenEye in nearly every way.
the fact hat it was the first console FPS that didn't suck is what gets it it's exception, i don't see any other movie adaptations achieving milestones for the industry. and comparing a retro game to what came after it is frequently an unfair comparison. halo was after the advent of dual analog controllers, and improvements in real time rendering, that didn't exist on the N64. which gives it advantages in both graphics and control that rare couldn't have done anything about.
Ash Greytree wrote:The Mummy Demastered, developed by Shantae creators WayForward, is apparently solid, and definitely much better than the movie itself. As was The Lego Movie: The Game, mainly because it was made by Travelers Tales, the same folks that make the other Lego titles.
you and i apparently have vastly different opinions on the lego games...
Last edited by Buster on Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.