Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Legotron123

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by Legotron123 »

I mean, that’s still well within Kolt’s power, but if they weigh that much he would have definitely had to stop and eat something at some point during the day.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I made a minor addition to my last post.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I've been bored, and in my boredom I was wondering what genre of visual media do you think Beacon of Hope would work best as? I mean like live action TV show, movie, animation, video game, comic, anime, anything. What would this work best as? What does it feel most like?
-Champion Motto

SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Well, in my eyes, I see it working as a Mass Effect-Style video game.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I could easily see it as a cartoon, with the current day being some sorta four part mid season finale. Part one is setting up the relays/taking down the ship in orbit, part two is taking on the Warlord, part three is the lab, part four is the aftermath and REDACTED.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

It feels either like an animated show or a comic series to me, from the overall feeling and flow it gives off.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I personally always thought it would make a good anime or comic.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

late 90s CGI animated series (like the stuff Mainframe made.)

the cast are ridiculous, the universe runs on bonkers sideways logic propped up by rule of cool, the villans kina one dimensional, and there are multiple running b plots that feel like filler episodes.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:late 90s CGI animated series (like the stuff Mainframe made.)

the cast are ridiculous, the universe runs on bonkers sideways logic propped up by rule of cool, the villans kina one dimensional, and there are multiple running b plots that feel like filler episodes.
This just makes me realize that Jenny and Kolt have a vaguely similar relationship to Silverbolt and Blackarachnia. One is physical stronger, one is much more skilled, and it’s very clear who’s in charge.
Last edited by Legotron123 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Legotron123 wrote:
Buster wrote:late 90s CGI animated series (like the stuff Mainframe made.)

This just makes me realize that Jenny and Kolt have a vaguely similar similar relationship to Silverbolt and Blackarachnia. One is physical stronger, one is much more skilled, and it’s very clear who’s in charge.
Not quite what i was thinking of.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Shadow Raiders. One of the best grown up shows on kids TV.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

also one of the better examples of a kids series handling it's message with tact and subtlety. you might not notice it at first but the whole show is built around racial prejudices and the idea of setting aside such things to learn to treat each other as equals. the way it introduces that theme feels so natural to the setting and premise most are like 'well of course they hate each other, they've been at war for centuries' without even realizing WHY they set it up that way.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

CyberDragon wrote:I've been bored, and in my boredom I was wondering what genre of visual media do you think Beacon of Hope would work best as? I mean like live action TV show, movie, animation, video game, comic, anime, anything. What would this work best as? What does it feel most like?
Book. Though honestly just because of how easy it would be to do it as a book.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Just an FYI, the leak in the fuel canister was very small. The radiation levels were not high enough to be harmful, and the inside of the suit is radiation shielded. However, it would have caused problems if left unattended.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Commissioned some art of Jenny kissing Kolt.
B31504FD-2B18-41C0-B96B-A9C3FCA4CC0E.jpeg
B31504FD-2B18-41C0-B96B-A9C3FCA4CC0E.jpeg (148.93 KiB) Viewed 10779 times
While his mind is all flustered and confused by this, his tail knows how he really feels.
EDIT: Welsh has told me it is not showing up on his end (though it is showing up on mine for some reason), so I’m going to try and figure out a way to work this out. In the mean time, here’s a link to the image on FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/32255789/
EDIT2: Tried a different method, hopefully this works now.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Well, he's not running away(!)
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

you tried to put an image hosted on FA in a forum post without moving it to a forum-friendly host first, didn't you?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

....FA isn’t a forum friendly host?
(That’s a yes by the way)

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

not in the slightest. they will actively block any picture they host from being visible anywhere off-site.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Well, something to remember for the future. Also, what are your thoughts on the art itself?

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

the helmet looks more like Rush's (from megaman) head than part of a Sentai costume, shouldn't it have a mouthguard that either has molded lips for no apparent reason or a flat plate that begs the question of how in the world his head actually fits inside the helmet?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

His costume actually does have a mouth guard, it’s just that he keeps it undeployed outside of battle in order to appear more relatable. As for how it works, same technobabble that lets his suit turn into a watch. Self-assembling nanofibers stored in a pocket dimension. When he deploys the mouth guard, the nanofibers extend along his muzzle, before hardening up and becoming more firm, baring one horizontal slip that becomes rather stretchy so he can open his mouth to speak.

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

So, while we’re waiting on whoever CD is waiting, let’s play another round of “Tell Me More About Your Character!” The question this time, what are your characters parents like? This doesn’t strictly have to be biological parents, it can be adopted parents, parental figures, or the scientists that grew them out of a test tube. Also, if the parent/s of your character is another one of you characters, you don’t have to say anything about them.
Liz’ parents are a pair of wolves who fostered seven different kids (Liz, a female fox, a male raccoon, a set of rabbit twins, a male cat, and a male squirrel). The mother, Minerva, is your standard sassy yet caring gramma who keeps a surprisingly large collection of guns, while the dad, Gabriel, passed away a few years ago, but in life was a gentle giant with a slightly shady past (not that Liz was any able to find any conclusive evidence pointing one way or another).
Kolt’s parents are Alat and Akar Lasser. Alat is a creative yet somewhat haughty individual, and a master in the art of cooking, having spent a couple decades as a five star chief before selling one of his recipes to Wyvern (an AI, and the most powerful person on the planet). He took one look at the number of zeroes on the first of many checks he’d receive for making what became the most popular snack food on the planet, and immediately retired. Akar, while not having as prestigious a history as her husband, is still a very insightful individual, and the only one Alat will accept any sass from. She met him at a convenience store down the street from his workplace, where they got into an argument over whether the consistency in quality junk food has makes it more preferable to the healthier but much less consistent food made by actual people.
Quints “parents” were a group of scientists and bio-tinkers who tried to make a symbiote that could work as a non-detectable alternative to steroids. They succeeded on some fronts, failed on others, and their efforts ultimately resulted in the creation of Quint. They are currently spending life in prison for the numerous crimes they committed making him.
EDIT: And of course he posts in the time it took me to write this.
Last edited by Legotron123 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Well, my characters parents are:

You've seen Rika's parents in some of my posts, so no real need to elaborate here.

Traci's parents are Abbigail and Jeremy Shwarte. Abbigail (or Abbi for short, kinda like her daughter) is a full-time housewife, with a hobby of dressmaking. Jeremy was a security chief for a small firm on their homeplanet (he retired before they moved onto the Beacon). They were highschool sweethearts, and have been together ever since.

As for Dan, you already know what happened to his father with the STEELHAVEN intergration arc.. He never knew (nor even cared to think about) his biological parents.
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Father returned to the hiveworld... which is one big colony... so... I guess my dad is a planet?"

"Dad, why are you asking me who my parents are?"

"Father was a trader. i only met him four times, and i think that's more than mother did... as for mother... well...I have five siblings from different males and she never actually had a permanent mate. you do the math on her choice of career."
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Twmbarlwm is a hill a few miles from me.

Thanks to the picture, I had a reason for Saffy to get closer to Jenny (and Kolt) than the others here.

I take it enough pieces are in place that the players now know what's going on with her?

As for Parents, Jenny didn't really know hers, being experimental and all that.

Jaken's... well, he has a new Mom now at least.

Corps were Military. Status unconfirmed.

Keeva's father is missing.

Cherry Seena's family is open for debate. Except for her father as he's in the clink, doing time for embezzlement.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Re-edited my post so that Hawk/Other Side doesn't start a mini war on board :)
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Other Side...

O.S...

Oz?

I'ma call him Oz from now on.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Reposted after Buster made me aware of a really odd little glitch...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

CyberDragon wrote:Hivemind ran up to the group, following Saffy's dad. "Everyone, back off and give her space. Kolt, calm down." He walked up to Saffy and looked her straight in the eyes. "Saffy? I need you to calm down for a minute and do something for me. You see him?" he said, pointing at Gadgeteer. "I need you to shake his hand, and then I need you to avoid touching any other super powered people, OK? Gadgeteer only has one power that your ability can copy, and it's innocuous. It will replace the telescopic vision you got when Kol helped you up, and you'll be able to go back to a normal life like nothing happened. Sound good? After that, I'll need to have a look at that glowing rock you found."
This advice only works if Saffy can only copy one power at a time, which is clearly not the case, since that would require her to have touched Kolt in between blowing herself into the air with Jenny’s powers and stopping her fall with his powers.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Saffy touched Kolt and Jenny at the same time, thus acquired both power sets at once. However, as you can see by the speech pattern returning to normal, it got rid of the super speed.

Also, Welsh has been talking with me about this character and how the power works.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

for those who didn't get the reference in her name. Rubies are red, tailors make shirts.

she's literally 'ensign redshirt'.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I assumed that her speech went back to normal because her power had some kind of range limit, since a lot of the specifics on her power haven’t been shown in game yet. Given what has been shown in game, Hivemind sounds too certain about his advice working, when it should be more of a hunch.
Also,
Buster wrote:for those who didn't get the reference in her name. Rubies are red, tailors make shirts.

she's literally 'ensign redshirt'.
I love this pun, and I’m mad it didn’t connect sooner.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Legotron123 wrote:I assumed that her speech went back to normal because her power had some kind of range limit, since a lot of the specifics on her power haven’t been shown in game yet. Given what has been shown in game, Hivemind sounds too certain about his advice working, when it should be more of a hunch.
Hivemind has been doing this for 30+ years. He's seen a lot, and knows a lot about many different kinds of powers. He's seen tactile mimics before. He can tell that she can't copy physically visible traits as she didn't grow 4 arms when touching Kol. Her super speed ran out the exact moment she touched Jenny and Kolt. He put things together pretty quick.

His brain is hooked up to a bunch of supercomputers, after all.

Also, he was probably scanning her to get information on her powers while this was happening.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Sorry I haven’t posted in a while. I’ve been busy lately, both with work, and with putting stuff up on eBay so I can afford this bad boy. I should have something up tonight or tomorrow.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It's Ok. If either you or Hlaoroo (because I can't think of anyone else we're waiting on. If I'm forgetting someone, please let me know.) post by tomorrow, I'll get started on the next turn update.
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

So you know how sometimes monsters are described as "eating anything that moves"? For Varanians it's literal. They can and will prey upon anything that moves, from regular animals to plant people to creatures made of weird things like gas or stone or even those people made of light and darkness that keep being used as examples of the Beacon's extreme diversity. If it moves, it's potential prey. Combined with the fact that their first contact with a species is to hunt them to see if they're strong enough to be treated as a person, this makes the species hated and feared by pretty much everyone and everything they meet.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Kinda surprised Saffy and the other Celicans didn’t react to Kolt’s arm moving on it’s own to shut him up. They don’t know about Quint, so they’d have no idea why it’d do that.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

They're surrounded by supers ranging from giant reptiles, a person with 4 arms, a robot, a giant mech, and others. In addition to the fact that Saffy is currently dealing with suddenly developed super powers. I think they have other things on their minds than an odd hand movement.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i was kinda hoping someone would so i could have Kol blurt out that he's another teamate that "mind controls colt sometimes, apparently"