Forum feedback

What are we doing!?
JohnnyDoe

Forum feedback

Post by JohnnyDoe »

You should use a different forum system. There are far better options besides phpBB.
Amazee Dayzee

Re: Forum feedback

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure that the administration has decided that this system is the best one to use to make it easy on members to navigate the forum.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Dayzee, it might be best to avoid making such judgements that you really have no way of knowing. We'll get around to answering it eventually.

The real answer is a bit complicated and involves the fact that Rick is not a webmaster and that the person in charge of our forums is hosting us out of the goodness of their heart, and Rick would prefer not to impose too much on their rather busy schedule. Thus we're on an out of date phpBB.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

^ What Obbl said.

The other issue is that things can get very messy when you swap between forum software. It's very easy to lose or even to duplicate posts. Speaking from experience here, having been an admin on a forum that did swap.

It's just a very time-consuming and involved process to make sure everything switches properly and Rick just doesn't have the time at the moment. Also, as Obbl said, we don't want to presume upon our hosts any more than necessary.

And anyway, as far as I can see, phpBB does everything we need it to even though it is a little clunky at times.

Can I ask what sort of features you'd like to see in other software that we don't currently have, Johnny?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

All hail inaki the Server Sugar Glider.
The cape comes with the promotion.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

There should be more board styles.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

isn't that a pain to modify in this forum architecture though?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Add the ability to search a general term without specifying the author.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Hawkfang42 wrote:Add the ability to search a general term without specifying the author.
... That's already a thing. You don't have to fill in all the boxes on the search page, just the relevant ones.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

can you make it NOT reject words for being 'too common'? i get how using one of those alone could produce a lot of useless results, but when searching for a sentence in 'find all words in the same post' mode, and half the words get rejected, it means i have to sift through 200 posts when only 3 of them would have actually contained the full thing.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If there is a way to do that, it would make things a lot easier for me also because I also search posts like that for...reasons. :?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I have a feeling that that may be hardwired into PHPBB unfortunately. I've passed that suggestion on to Diss and Rick though and they'll look into it. It's definitely a good suggestion if it's possible!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

Won't the word search pool shrink as people post if it was hardwired in? Or is it just common words of a language?
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

It's checking against a list of common English words (and checking that the word is at least 3 letters)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Why can't you search for words less than three letters? Because if you did that you would get a huge amount of results I'm assuming?
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

The word "lo" isn't used that often. If it was able to be searched for, you likely wouldn't get as many as some of the common words that are excluded.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

The trouble is that it would search fot every word in which the letters "lo" appear together and in that order, which is a lot of different words.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

Isn't that already done with the words that are used in the forum search? Besides, if you search for "mil" you don't get all the posts that have the word milk.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

(I wouldn't get my hopes up on this seeing as I brought this up as an issue when Dissension asked what changes we wanted on the forums 8 1/2 months ago and nothing came of it).

I recognize that I might be wrong about this, but this is my understanding in layman's terms of why this is the way it is:
There is a server somewhere with every post and it's contents saved in order. To avoid having to expend time and processing power crawling every time someone uses a search bar, there is a separate list where for each word it records what posts used that word. Every time you post, in the second list it goes to each word you used in your post and adds in your post's id number. To save space so the index doesn't double the memory requirement, when it encounters a word that is fewer than three letters or on the list of most common words, it doesn't add anything to the index. Of all the choices, those words would have the greatest ratio of saving/usefulness from cutting from the index. You can read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_indexing

I'm not informed enough to know if the trade-off is worth it, but I can guarantee that on the benefit side of cost-benefit, we would appreciate and take advantage of being able to use all words in the search bar.
Hlaoroo wrote:The trouble is that it would search fot every word in which the letters "lo" appear together and in that order, which is a lot of different words.
Zesortinge wrote:Isn't that already done with the words that are used in the forum search? Besides, if you search for "mil" you don't get all the posts that have the word milk.
As it's set up now, it would only find every word where that the letters appear together in that order if you type wildcards (aka asterisks (aka *)) on either side.
The cape comes with the promotion.